The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team announced V Ireland

+28
Hollbeck Ghyll
bsando
justified sinner
MacKnocked-on
Imperialbigdave
SGD prop
UlstermaninGlasgow
Manky-Flanker
21st Century Schizoid Man
funnyExiledScot
123skelm
sensisball
R!skysports
KickAndChase
poddy89
Scot Abroad
alexgmacdonald
George Carlin
Tattie Scones RRN
dublin_dave
NeilyBroon
GLove39
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
Biltong
Pat_Mustard
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland team announced V Ireland Empty Scotland team announced V Ireland

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

Scotland team

15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), 2 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Lee Jones (Edinburgh Rugby) 3 caps, 1 try, 5 points
13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 32 caps, 1 try, 5 points
12 Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors) 33 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
11 Sean Lamont (Scarlets) 63 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 5 caps, 1 try, 2 conversions, 3 penalties, 18 points
9 Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby) 78 caps, 7 tries, 35 points
1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh Rugby) 63 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) 56 caps, 2 tries, 10 points CAPTAIN
3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby) 11 caps
4 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 19 caps
5 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester) 37 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 35 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 14 caps
8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) 4 caps
Substitutes
16 Scott Lawson (Gloucester) 32 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
17 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 42 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
18 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), 39 caps, 1 try, 5 points
19 Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks) 16 caps
20 Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) 58 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
21 Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors) 11 caps, 2 conversions, 2 penalties, 2 drop-goals, 16 points
22 Max Evans (Castres) 26 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
Referee: Chris Pollock (New Zealand). Assistant referees: Romain Poite (France) and Greg Garner (England). TMO: Giulio de Santis (Italy)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland team announced V Ireland Empty Re: Scotland team announced V Ireland

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

No real surprises there, other than the good Doctor keeping his spot ahead of the Rev, altho there must be concerns about the Rev's fitness given he as training solo yesterday. Disappointed to see Morrison retained, albeit that he had one of his better games in the navy blue shirt against France, likewise would have preferred to have seen a real chopper at blindside, even tho Barclay did a decent enough job there too. Tough on Duncan Weir, thought he looked calm and collected when he came on, but we've all known for a while that Robinson was going to shoe-horn Jackson back in when he got the chance. 'Cmon on Scotland

Great that Blair and Laidlaw have both recovered from their knocks, really looking forward to seeing how their partnership develops

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Well not the worst selection we've had recently, but why is Murray not starting, and what has Jackson done to get ahead of Weir (I didn't see the Glasgow game at the weekend)

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

Good to see Da Luca in the starting Xv, he looked good when he cam eon last game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:28 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:Well not the worst selection we've had recently, but why is Murray not starting, and what has Jackson done to get ahead of Weir (I didn't see the Glasgow game at the weekend)
It was Jackson's best performance of the 3 matches he's played since coming back from injury, but nothing eye-opening and still missing easy kicks. V tough on wee Duncy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

Strong team. This is a geniune 50/50 game and with the 6 day turnaround Ireland have from France, Scotland are in a very good position to get a 2nd win at the aviva in 3 seasons.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

roddersm wrote:Strong team. This is a geniune 50/50 game and with the 6 day turnaround Ireland have from France, Scotland are in a very good position to get a 2nd win at the aviva in 3 seasons.

Just to be an utter pedant (apologies, rodders), but the last win was at Croke Park - this'll be our first visit to the Aviva OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, harsh on Weir? I think so. Not really sure why we are sticking with Cross considering our front row was Vapourised by the French. Maybe Robbo likes props who can't scrummage very well.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

Jackson really doesn't inspire any confidence with his kicking. I'd hate for him to come on with 15 minutes to go and there only be 3 points in it or something like that.

Harsh on Weir - he's not done anything wrong and his kicking is the best in the squad.

But alas Jackson is one of Robinson's favourites - and we all know what that means!

Surprised about Murray only on the bench too but suspect he's not 100% fit.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:40 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
roddersm wrote:Strong team. This is a geniune 50/50 game and with the 6 day turnaround Ireland have from France, Scotland are in a very good position to get a 2nd win at the aviva in 3 seasons.

Just to be an utter pedant (apologies, rodders), but the last win was at Croke Park - this'll be our first visit to the Aviva OK

Doh quite right you are...advantage Ireland then..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

Not many surprises about that team selection, just a shame about Jackson. Seen his last few games for Glasgow, and they've been nothing to write home about, plus as others have pointed out his goal kicking is shocking at times.

Also sad to hear the news about Paul O'Connell but that should give us a further edge in the lineout

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

I wanted to bury my face in my hands at this selection. I knew he wouldn't pick Matt Scott, even with nothing to lose! He also has got rid of a strong flyhalf which is as upsetting, De Luca I can understand is waranted but what the hell is going on with our front row (ie the props)? Plus no Welsh in the squad, that's another selection mistake. *Sigh* I return back to my original consensus aka Scotland will only become a more adventurous and better unit with a better selector at the helm.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

good side and im a bit worried to be honest.

unlike previous years when we could hand you the ball and the most you would get is 3points you now have some cutting edge.

surprised murray is not playing tighthead but cannot see healy doing massive damage on cross.

also worried about our lineout

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

Yeah I reckon we will have Ireland beat in the lineout, we'll certainly have an edge at the breakdown thanks to the "dark arts" of Barclay and Rennie, without POC Ireland will be much weaker at the breakdown and the lineout.

What worries me is the physicality of the Irish backrow. Ferris and O'Brien are not normally renowned for taking prisoners and Laidlaw will no doubt be under huge pressure to try and stop these monsters. He is a better option at 10 than any other player at our disposal but I think the Irish are going to punch some huge holes in th 9-10-12 channels.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:40 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Yeah I reckon we will have Ireland beat in the lineout, we'll certainly have an edge at the breakdown thanks to the "dark arts" of Barclay and Rennie, without POC Ireland will be much weaker at the breakdown and the lineout.

What worries me is the physicality of the Irish backrow. Ferris and O'Brien are not normally renowned for taking prisoners and Laidlaw will no doubt be under huge pressure to try and stop these monsters. He is a better option at 10 than any other player at our disposal but I think the Irish are going to punch some huge holes in th 9-10-12 channels.

That's why Morrison is in at 12.

He's the best defence organiser in the world don't you know.

Not as bad as I feared but still much more room for improvement selection wise and I see another loss on the cards for us, but not a hammering by any stretch of the imagination.

If I was Robinson, I'd tell the SRU that the spoon may well be ours this year and explain that the Italy game will be used to assess the fringe guys. Chuck Scott, Welsh and Harley in there and see what they can do.

What have we honestly got to lose?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

Selection about as surprising as Londoners moaning about public transport, so let's see how we go.

Am genuinely fed to the teeth reading hand-wringing articles about how we're a collection of good players and analysing to the point of nausea about the reasons why we just haven't won matches.

Enough with the shoite. The best teams win matches. That's why they're the best teams. We've made mistakes that we shouldn't have made and lost concentration at vital times. That's why we've lost.

Anything less than two wins from these two games and I think that Robinson has to walk.

To his credit, I do believe Robinson when he says that he absolutely expects Scotland to win - I think that's the only thing keeping him in the position at the moment.

I would rather have an Alastair Coetzee or an Eddie O'Sullivan or a Stuart Lancaster than watch any more crap selections from Robinson's russian roulette selection Pez dispenser.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:45 pm

Incidentally, aside from the rest of my p!ssing and moaning, I am happy with Pollock whom I think is a good ref.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Interesting selection, there's so many sides to the argument.

People saying its not Robinson's fault that the players make those mistakes, but some say that if Robinson was a better coach they wouldn't be making those mistakes.

I think, experience is key, and these young players only havie one way of getting experience, and that's playing.

I think Robinson's conservatism is going to kill us, I like Max Evans but why not put Matt Scott on the bench, give him 15 minutes at the end. We'll get to a point where we need these players due to injuries or retirement and they'll be winning their first cap. I'm all for blooding young players but not just throwing them in at the deep end.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

Welcome to the board, alexg. Very reasonable point that you make there - when the team was selected for the French game (ie before Morrison had a non-susbstandard performance), Robinson responded that he couldn't select Scott cos he didn't have enough experience (interestingly up against the 1 cap, Wesley Fofana). However, if Robinson had gone with form, by the French game, Scott would have had two caps under his belt, one more than his opposite number. I just get the sense that Robinson will go to any length to drum up an excuse not to pick the youngsters until he is absolutely forced to do so (ie Hogg)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

The inclusion of Jackson is a shocking decision by Robbo. He's had 3 games back and has been well below par in 2 of them. He had a better game at the weekend but he's still not up to scratch. His kicking is poor and he's not that much different a player to Laidlaw. Weir offers a different approach to the game. He has the ability to kick a penalty from pretty much anywhere in the opponents half. He's done nothing to deserve to be dropped, while Jackson has done nothing to deserve to be included, except be one of Robbo's favourites. Once again Robbo proves that form doesn't matter in his selection process.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Thanks very much,

I agree, I understand him not putting Scott into the starting XV but not putting him anywhere near the 22 just makes no sense. I'm a Glasgow fan and I think that the 9 10 12 axis that Edinburgh have causes serious problems to defences rather than Glasgow's.

Everyone goes on about the lack of creativity at 10 but if you have a 12 that doesnt pass, it doesnt matter if Dan Carter is playing because the ball never goes to the outside backs.

That is why both of Scotland's tries against France didnt come from a 'normal' attacking set up...Hogg's try - dropped pass, Jones' try - counter attack from a ruck.

Watching NZ playing makes rugby look so simple, draw the man, create space on the outside, offload, players supporting the player that made the break.

We dont need intricate set moves to score, just some timing, some hard running and some good support lines. As much as I dont like Chris Ashton, when he was at his best, his support lines were phenomenal. If we get players on the shoulder of the likes of Stuart Hogg, we could really let loose.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:The inclusion of Jackson is a shocking decision by Robbo. He's had 3 games back and has been well below par in 2 of them. He had a better game at the weekend but he's still not up to scratch. His kicking is poor and he's not that much different a player to Laidlaw. Weir offers a different approach to the game. He has the ability to kick a penalty from pretty much anywhere in the opponents half. He's done nothing to deserve to be dropped, while Jackson has done nothing to deserve to be included, except be one of Robbo's favourites. Once again Robbo proves that form doesn't matter in his selection process.

I dont think Weir is ready for international rugby, from memory, he got smashed a few times. I think what Robinson is trying to do is have a fly half who is a bit physically bigger to shore up the 10-12 Channel because we lost a try because of Laidlaw's missed tackle on the not so big and powerful Trinh-Duc.

I think what Robinson wants for the future is 9 Laidlaw 10 Jackson with Weir on the bench.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

Welcome Alex!

Great to have another Scotsman here, especially since you can make a coherent argument and can form a sentence that doesn't wind people up or insult folk!

I'd happily take Dan Carter, even if he did have Morrison outside him! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by poddy89 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

some one needs to make a brave mark for their country and take jackson out!!! he is absolutely awful and we would have been as well keeping parks, he cant kick, is slow, makes the wrong call every time, has no flare, provides no quick ball, will kill out scotlands new found attack, gutted to see him in the squad, apart from that the squads not too bad, would have likes to see scott over evans though

poddy89

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Welcome Alex!

Great to have another Scotsman here, especially since you can make a coherent argument and can form a sentence that doesn't wind people up or insult folk!

I'd happily take Dan Carter, even if he did have Morrison outside him! Very Happy

Thank you for the welcome Very Happy

I would love Carter too, the point I was trying to make was that, too many times there has been an overlap and our 12 (Morrison or Sean Lamont) have taken the ball into contact.

If Carter was playing, I'm sure there would be plenty of miss passes to the outside centre.

I remember Jeremy Guscott touching on the point that he doesn't understand why some players go looking for contact, that is what is different about Hogg, he actually looks for the gap and more often than not, find's it. It's a lot easier to run through someone if they're stretching to tackle than running straight at them.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

I really don't think it would have been an option to have Scott on the bench instead of Evans - as I said on a different thread we'd have no back 3 cover if we did that. He'd have to start instead of Morrison or De Luca.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I really don't think it would have been an option to have Scott on the bench instead of Evans - as I said on a different thread we'd have no back 3 cover if we did that. He'd have to start instead of Morrison or De Luca.

What about Evans at 13 and move him to the wing if needs be?

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:

That is why both of Scotland's tries against France didnt come from a 'normal' attacking set up...Hogg's try - dropped pass, Jones' try - counter attack from a ruck.

And the most astute among us will notice that pretty much every Scotland try comes from this kind of turnover, or a push by the forwards.

Someone tell me the last time the ball went through the hands in normal phase play for the wing to run it in making use of the overlap? I actually can't recall this ever.

Despite the obvious shoe-horn of Jackson (which goes completely against AR's justification of picking Laidlaw/Weir last week - that they have different styles i.e. he's talking BS and either he's deluded or is hiding something) I do think that team could beat Ireland. I don't think they will, but I also don't think they definitely won't.

One thing to shout about...LAMONT ON THE WING Yahoo

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I really don't think it would have been an option to have Scott on the bench instead of Evans - as I said on a different thread we'd have no back 3 cover if we did that. He'd have to start instead of Morrison or De Luca.

De Luca deserves his start I would say. Given Evans is coming back from injury it makes sense to have him on the bench where you could have had any of De Luca, Lamont & Evans.

If Lamont is awful on the wing this weekend you could swap him out with Evans. Same goes for De Luca though I don't think AR is confident in Max being a 13 - he would put Lamont there instead.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:

And the most astute among us will notice that pretty much every Scotland try comes from this kind of turnover, or a push by the forwards.

Someone tell me the last time the ball went through the hands in normal phase play for the wing to run it in making use of the overlap? I actually can't recall this ever.

Despite the obvious shoe-horn of Jackson (which goes completely against AR's justification of picking Laidlaw/Weir last week - that they have different styles i.e. he's talking BS and either he's deluded or is hiding something) I do think that team could beat Ireland. I don't think they will, but I also don't think they definitely won't.

One thing to shout about...LAMONT ON THE WING Yahoo

I think the only reason Jackson is in the squad at the moment, is that with 11 caps, he is the most experience fly half we have. Whistle

In the last 20 minutes of the France game we lacked the experience to just shut up shop and play the game out, however, I dont think Jackson is the right type of player to do this anyways!

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:

De Luca deserves his start I would say. Given Evans is coming back from injury it makes sense to have him on the bench where you could have had any of De Luca, Lamont & Evans.

If Lamont is awful on the wing this weekend you could swap him out with Evans. Same goes for De Luca though I don't think AR is confident in Max being a 13 - he would put Lamont there instead.

I prefer Max as a 13, not the biggest or the best defensively, but he's the type of player that can take on the outside defence and create space.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:

I prefer Max as a 13, not the biggest or the best defensively, but he's the type of player that can take on the outside defence and create space.

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately Robbo seems not to. With Morrison at 12 though it's not a good idea anyway because we'll have another can't pass / won't pass debacle.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Bring back parks Shocked

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Front row and back row are again wrong. Welsh should at least make the bench.
The fact that Murray is not starting and has been sitting out training suggests that he is carring an injury. Since his only impact is in the scrum surely it would make sense to pick a fully fit and in form player such as Welsh? But that would show up another of AR's terrible selections over the last couple of seasons.

Jacobson has struggled in the last quarter of all games so far so having the option of replacing him instead of Cross would be a wise move. Welsh can cover both prop slots but he's not ready yet, apparently!

The edinburgh front row will struggle in the scrum and light weight back row will struggle to contain the irish ball carriers.
They will target the fringes and try to draw laidlaw into the tackle, creating holes for support runners.

Without POC we should have the edge in the lineout but with ireland's choke tackle stategy they will get a lot of turn over ball and their scrum will put us under enormous pressure.

Having reddon starting will actually make their back line more dangerous as Sexton will get quicker ball to work with.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately Robbo seems not to. With Morrison at 12 though it's not a good idea anyway because we'll have another can't pass / won't pass debacle.

Yes, I agree. I think the single biggest problem we have, is the inside centre position. We seem to put so much of the creative pressure on the 10 that we forget that if the 12 doesn't pass, it doesn't matter who we have playing there. Thats why I like the look of Matt Scott. Brings something different. 13 isn't too much of a problem for us, Joe Ansbro, Max Evans, hell - even De Luca.

The crash ball 12 only works if we get quick ball and that ain't happening right now.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:39 pm

Tbh, I'm not that worried about the scrum, altho that's no excuse for yet more bizarritude (is that a word? If not, i feel it ought to be!) in the selection department from Robinson - Ireland's front row isn't the danger that France's or Wales's are

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

I was almost swaying back towards keeping Robinson until I saw this selection. Once again he's managed to stay in the shallow end with his armbands and foam float. Now that I've calmed down I can make some less depressing comments. The good selections are clear, and they're all the youngsters. We still have a problem with the old boys being there. The second most capped players on that team (Chunk and Lamont) shouldn't be there or should be relegated to the bench at least. A lot of the 30+ caps shouldn't be there either quite frankly. Maybe I'm harsh on Lamont and I know he gives everything every game but he's just not fast enough. That said, I don't really like Evan's form right now either but I think he's better than Lamont, although I guess we'll see this weekend. Scott should AT LEAST be on the bench, I agree with most above posters on that one, and Welsh definitely should be getting his first cap, Chunk just doesn't cut it right now. Glad Murray is on the bench because he's not hugely great right now either but Cross? Really? Way to take advantage of a weakened Ireland pack Robinson.

My prediction is it'll be another tight game decided by a penalty score or another tie for Ireland. I'd obviously hope for a win for the boys in blue, but at the same time having a win worries me because Robinson is putting his caps on the wrong heads and I don't want that to be justified, this is not the team of the future, and if they win we will NEVER see the deserving players win caps.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

I think the only reason Jackson is in the squad at the moment, is that with 11 caps, he is the most experience fly half we have.

In the last 20 minutes of the France game we lacked the experience to just shut up shop and play the game out, however, I dont think Jackson is the right type of player to do this anyways!

I dont think Weir is ready for international rugby, from memory, he got smashed a few times.

I cannot believe these comments, first of all o.k. Jackson has the most caps but what does that prove? Once again a cop out by AR the only way to gain said experience is obvious.

I cannot also agree with comment regarding shut up shop I certainly do not think that's a number 10's job and overall I do not think Scotland could have done this.

Lastly Weir did not get smashed! in fact he produced some great tackling, he is by far the best tackler 10 we have.

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

So the scenario - 2 minutes on the clock, Scotland are down by 2 points, and we are awarded a tricky penalty kick, out wide, but around the 10m mark inside Ireland's half - can't let Jackson take the shot cos he'll miss, so need Laidlaw to step up, oh hang on, we subbed him and Blair to bring on the Glasgow pairing; so then Laidlaw has to move to 9 when Jackson comes on, in which case Cusiter's selection on the bench is a complete waste? Am I missing something?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:So the scenario - 2 minutes on the clock, Scotland are down by 2 points, and we are awarded a tricky penalty kick, out wide, but around the 10m mark inside Ireland's half - can't let Jackson take the shot cos he'll miss, so need Laidlaw to step up, oh hang on, we subbed him and Blair to bring on the Glasgow pairing; so then Laidlaw has to move to 9 when Jackson comes on, in which case Cusiter's selection on the bench is a complete waste? Am I missing something?

Uhh Jackson is a straight sub for Laidlaw I'm afraid. Bonkers I know ... we never used to let Jackson play unless Paterson or Parks was on and suddenly...

I'd rather have Weir take that kick every day. Tbh Laidlaw's % isn't great either.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

Weir's defence is a lot better than Jackson. One of the few 10s we've had who isn't afraid to actually hit someone. I won't blame Laidlaw for the missed tackle on Cuthbert but his attempt on Trinh-Duc was shockingly bad technique. His missed tackle brought Morisson inside to cover and left a gap out wide. I'd be much happier with Weir on the bench. Robbo and Townsend are shooting themselves in the foot. You don't need tries to win games, yeah very good Townsend, but a kicker who can put those points on the board is pretty essential.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

As said above, no massive surprises here, pretty much exactly as predicted. I didn't think Jackson would be brought back in place of Weir but it's hard to get excited about that. The only potential issue is that if Laidlaw is injured then we have to endure the lottery of Jackson's kicking for the remainder of the afternoon.

I agree with Sensisball (for once), Welsh not making the bench is wrong. Either Murray is fit to start, in which case he should start, or he isn't, in which case he shouldn't feature. I don't understand Murray on the bench when we have a player able to cover both sides and one who is currently fit. Whilst Cross is a great player in the loose, he isn't an international scrummager, and Healy is improving with every game.

Still, I don't think the scrum will be a game decider in this one. Stopping their back row from generating momentum and quick front foot ball will be where this game is won or lost. We will not live with Reddan and Sexton if they have space and momentum to work. Too good. We need to take a leaf out of the Welsh coaching manual from the World Cup game - fast line and chop them down low before they get going. In that sense Barclay has a very important role, and Rennie is going to have to have another stormer as the master poacher. We've proven that we now have enough pace and talent to trouble sides on the counter attack.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

The Jackson replacing Weir thing must be a resignation by the Bath Vegetable surely ? Pathetic again Robinson! Utterly pathetic! Go and please go very soon you clown !

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

I don't agree with the selection Schizoid but that's far too strong. Jackson't general play was pretty good against the Ospreys, it was his kicking that let him down. His distribution and running game was decent. I would have stuck with Weir, but as Robinson's decisions go this one I can live with.

I do think we're pushing our luck asking Morrison to be decent two games in a row though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

Why is it too strong fES? Who pays his wages ? He is destroying Scottish Rugby with that other cretin Townsend. And as others have mentioned who ever said or decided that Cross was an International class prop. He is garbage. Just like Robinson and Townsend. Absolutely unbelievable. The press will no doubt give him the usual easy time instead of going for his jugular on selection. I, like many others, have spent a fortune watching Scotland but now I will concentrate my own meagre finances on the Warriors. Bollux to Robinson and Townsend! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

Who knows, maybe its all a cunning ploy...

The irish are expecting 80 minutes of Morrison, but they'll only get 50! the last 30 will see Jackson at 12. Imagine that, a Scottish 12 that can distribute - they'll never see it coming! thumbsup

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

Dual loyalties so hard to be objective but I'll give it a go....

Jackson for Weir - Don't know why Robbo made this call. Ruairidh isn't in great form and I'd hate to see him having to take a kick in the last minute to win it. Meatball is solid, if unspectacular, and you know what you get from him... Jacko isn't back to his best yet

Murray instead of Welsh - Now this one is just idiotic... Jon Welsh is playing some of his best rugby at the minute, on the opposite side of the scrum than normal, and still a half fit Murray gets picked. I despair... Church will eat Cross for breakfast in tight and out in the loose...

Barclay/Rennie/Denton vs Ferris/O'Brien/Heaslip - The turnover specialists versus the powerhouse trio... Big ask for Denton to cover the rampaging Ferris/O'Brien who we can expect to maraude down Greig Laidlaw's channel all afternoon... But Barcs and Rennie did pretty well handling the bruising French back row... Biggest question is whether Vernon is a better impact player than O'Mahoney?

But all is not despair for Scotland as I can see Ross Ford, Jim Hamilton and Richie Gray making mincemeat of the Irish lineout as without O'Connell and potentially Best too a combo of D.Ryan and D.O'Callaghan doesn't exactly strike fear into anyone...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

I was referring to your reaction to the selection of Jackson ahead of Weir, nothing more.

Cross proved a more solid scrummaging option to Murray last season, after Mas destroyed Murray in the openning fixture, and with Low injured Cross stepped up. That's how Cross got into the side. Then with Low still out of action and Murray refusing to play Cross was able to continue. I agree, he isn't a good enough scrummager to be first choice, but his workrate in the loose is outstanding (and has been for Edinburgh this season), so with Murray and Low unavailable he was rightly first choice for the Sunday games this tournament. The emergence of Welsh as a versatile prop should challenge Cross. Welsh certainly hasn't had players like Jenkins, Poux and Corbisiero to deal with, but he's mastered what's been in front of him, and for that I'd have promoted him ahead of Cross for the bench slot had Murray been fit enough to start.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

Ah but FES he is a specialist losehead who can cover tighthead, and he has done well against Ross already this season. I guess I am a bit like most people and would like to see the the people performing well given a shot. Though we would loose a little around the park

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

Ive been debating in my head weather to actually comment or not, and tbh, most of the stuff that needs to be said has been said.

Although, Darcy and Earls is probably the best opportunity to blood Matt Scott. Theyve been uninspiring so far in the championship, and neither is going to try and flatten him.

Cant understand Welshy's non-inclusion given that Hes on form, can play both sides and Murray is apparently not 100%. I have a horrible feeling were going to have another press conference after saturday where Robbo all but admits hes made a massive mistake with that one.

Is two opensides the best way to counter two blindsides? I havent got a clue, i cant recall a match where ive seen that before to draw any reasoned analysis from, so im not going to comment on the backrow just now.

As for Weir being dropped, im not his biggest fan, but this does stink of another robbo favouritism debacle in the making. Ive yet to see any more evidence than one Scotland A game against a side that looked like theyd just met in the car park before kick off that Weir can get his backs into the game any better than Parks, BUT Jackson should have had to fight harder to displace him. I was a defender of Jackson pre-injury, but he hasnt shown what I saw in him since, whereas Weir still has the potential to play a good running and passing game as well as provide solidity with the boot, assuming that his style at glasgow is more down to Lineens tactics than Duncans limits.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next