The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jake White says RFU has made England job approach

+9
Woodstock
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
aitchw
Biltong
LondonTiger
Chjw131
Geordie
Bring_The_Boom
13 posters

Go down

Jake White says RFU has made England job approach Empty Jake White says RFU has made England job approach

Post by Bring_The_Boom Thu 8 Mar - 11:13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17296726

World Cup-winning coach Jake White says the RFU has approached him about taking over the England team.

White is eight months into a four-year deal with the Brumbies in Australia and says he would not leave before the Super 15 season ends in August.

However the 48-year-old has "declared an interest in exploring his options" according to a Brumbies statement.

The Australian franchise also rejected suggestions that White has already been interviewed and offered the position.

"Obviously this is a terrific opportunity for Jake White, and one which reflects his status as one of the world's leading coaches," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"That said, Jake is in the first of a four-year contract with the Brumbies and there are many details that would need to be worked through should he be successful with his application."

The Brumbies won the only match of the 2012 Super Rugby so far, 19-17 against the Western Force on 24 February.

"White has told his club that he will see out the Super 15 season, regardless of the RFU's final decision," said BBC Radio 5 live's rugby commentator Alastair Eykyn.

White's commitment to remain with the Brumbies until the end of their current campaign would rule him out of England's June tour to South Africa.

Earlier this month, Rugby Football Union chief Ian Ritchie said he wanted to appoint a new coach by 17 March.

But he said he would be prepared to wait until as late as October to get the right man.

Interim England coach Stuart Lancaster is expected to be interviewed before the end of the Six Nations as the RFU search for Martin Johnson's successor.

White, 48, told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek in November 2011 that it would be "wonderful" to be back in international rugby, citing his aim to become the first coach to win two World Cups.

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Jake White says RFU has made England job approach Empty Re: Jake White says RFU has made England job approach

Post by Bring_The_Boom Thu 8 Mar - 11:17

Thoughts?

Interestingly many thought the two more experienced candidates (as mentioned by Kirwan) would be Mallet and O'Sullivan. How likely do you think White might be appointed?

Bring_The_Boom

Back to top Go down

Jake White says RFU has made England job approach Empty Re: Jake White says RFU has made England job approach

Post by Geordie Thu 8 Mar - 11:18

We're discussing it on another thread mate.

I think this is a bad move. I'd rather stick with Lancaster over him.

Although White does play our normal style...power forwards...but we aint gonna win any fans...

He must keep Rowntree in though.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu 8 Mar - 11:26

It strikes me the process is getting a bit caught up in the concept of 'track record'. ie: If Graham Henry had applied then he would have been appointed no questions asked, which in my opinion would have been wholly the wrong choice to make.

It comes down to two things for me: 1. Vision 2. Ambition

If a candidate can demonstrate an understanding of where the game is heading (not just what method worked in the past) and elucidate a full plan and coaching composition and ethos to go with it then that's one crucial element fulfilled.

Now whilst Henry (or indeed White) unquestionably have the knowledge, I don't think they have the drive. Having read SCW's 'Winning' it took a monumental effort combined with all sorts of abstract ideas to finally win in 2003. What you need for that is a drive that goes beyond most other ambitions. A resolve to do literally whatever it takes to be the best in the world. Something we haven't heard from an England coach since SCW. That to me is the most crucial aspect.

My choice would be Mallet. I think he may have the desire to go out and seal himself into history as a great coach by winning a RWC. He also seems to have an idea and awareness of who else he needs on board.

Lancaster I think has done some good work, but whilst he may show the resolve I don't think he has enough knowledge or imagination to build a side that does things differently.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 8 Mar - 11:31

GeordieFalcon wrote:We're discussing it on another thread mate.

I think this is a bad move. I'd rather stick with Lancaster over him.

Although White does play our normal style...power forwards...but we aint gonna win any fans...

He must keep Rowntree in though.

You know what, if we have a coach who develops a team that can win - I don't care about whether other countries fans "like" us. Hell we could be playing the best attacking rugby in the world (As we did in 2001) and everyone still hates us.

If Lancaster selects Brown at FB then we already have a Jake White style backline. Sadly our forwards are rather powder-puff.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 8 Mar - 11:40

Aye you've got a point LT...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 8 Mar - 11:44

Although Jake White will focus on the england pack, as that has always been their strength, I am pretty sure he is wise enough to realise the same game plan that won in 2007 needs to be revised.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 8 Mar - 11:46

Come on guys, this is England you're talking about. It is our lot in life to be hated, envied or pilloried whatever we do so may as well just get on with it. Having said that I don't really want Jake White in post. I'm still favouring NM if SL doesn't get it and I'm waiting for the next 2 games before forming a lasting opinion on SL.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 8 Mar - 11:49

I really wish we had managed to get the Clermont coach. All these names being linked to the role seem to be either stuck in the past or not good enough.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 8 Mar - 12:01

Yappy, I think it is untrue to summise that coaches such as these mentioned are stuck in the past.

Where is the proof of that. coaches live or die by their ability to evolve with the new rugby laws.

Jake White is coaching in Oz, do ou really think an australian Franchise will be looking for a coach who wants to coach a team that has limited talent?

I don't beleive that for one second. The Australian Fracnhises and in particular the Brumbies who has historically been australia's most succesful Franchise, aren't going to be happy with playing 10 man rugby.

The same applies with Mallet, in my view one of THE best coaches in world rugby. Once again if you look at the talent Italy has at their disposal, there is no way Mallet could evolve their game. There is simply not enough talent.

The theory of any good rugby coach is to first coach his team to control a match. That is the basic essence of rugby. When you have the ability to control the tight exchanges and then the possession and territory, you are already half way where you want to be.

Then only once you can gain control or at least parity in the tight exchanges, breakdowns and your half backs can gain you sufficient territory do you consider running the ball at the opposition. Italy can't do that becuase they don't have the skills.

So the perception of a coach and what he did 4, 10, 15 years ago and that he hasn't evolved his game book and got stcuk in the past is inaccurate to say the least.

Otherwise they won't be coaches anymore.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 8 Mar - 12:33

Possibly I just don't like him.

But Jake White hasn't actually done anything for 5 years, so really all it is is that he talks a good game. If he had already coached the Brumbies to a Superrugby play off playing like the Crusaders then i'd be happier, but tbh he's a total wild card.

Mallet for me has never come across as a great coach, I'm not sure what it is but he just doesn't strike me as the driven focussed coach that England would need.

O'Sullivan has always seemed pap.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 8 Mar - 12:41

To be honest coaches get such a slagging off that they must all be crap.

at around teh same time, teh 6Ns countries had the following as coaches:

Robinson (England)
Williams (Scotland)
EOS (Ireland)
Johnson (Wales)
Laporte (France)
Kirwan (Italy)

Al of them were seriously criticised when in teh job.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 8 Mar - 12:51

yeah, I suppose all coaches are crap then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 8 Mar - 13:29

I was hoping that Jake White would of got the job before Martin Johnson did.

But since Stuart Lancaster took over and the way England have been playing, i think he (SL) should be given a chnce to show just what he could do with England. Lets see just how England go the rest of the 6ns,before we start jumping to conclusions.

If it does come to a choice netween Nick Mallet, or Jake White, seenig that Niick Mallet as been coaching international rugby up an till last year, then i think Nick Mallet should be given job.

But would mutch prefare to stick with Stuart Lancaster and the coaches we have right now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Jake White says RFU has made England job approach Empty White to coach England

Post by Woodstock Fri 9 Mar - 5:54

Well well well. Not only poaching SH players but a foreign coach in charge of the inventors of the game!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17296726

Can this be an early April Fool's joke Shocked
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Mar - 6:53

I have merged these two topics.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 9 Mar - 7:23

Jake White is a very clever manager. He may be forwards orientated but he will get a very good attacking coach in to assist him should he get the job.

I would not see that as a backward step myself.

All that said, i believe that SL is doing a decent job and possibly should given extra time to develop and see what he can do.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 9 Mar - 8:16

Tweet from jake White, according to espnscrum.com, he declined the England job.

Jake White@JWhite_rugby

Always hard turning down a chance to win a world cup, but rugby is about making the right decisions and that's to stay with @BrumbiesRugby

9 Mar 12 Reply
Retweet
Favorite

So that is it then for JW.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 9 Mar - 8:20

Jake White, with Steve Hansen as assistant is being put about now?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 9 Mar - 10:25

It was a misprint, it is Jimmy White that's been offered the job. Yahoo
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 9 Mar - 10:38

I couldn't see White leaving the Brumbies to be honest. He's got a 4 year plan there like he had with South Africa, i think hes done the honourable thing.

It's most likely gonna be Mallet (with Wayne Smith) or Lancaster then.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 9 Mar - 10:49

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=34218
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 9 Mar - 15:59

Was White asked to attend a interview ? or did he just get acknowledgement from the RFU that they had received his application.

I think JW is wallowing in his own self importance.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down