The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Test Try of All Time

+30
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
JLyall
nganboy
LordDowlais
disneychilly
hugo124
mckay1402
TycroesOsprey
king_carlos
Shifty
Taylorman
Biltong
wasps
kiakahaaotearoa
Taffineastbourne
Glas a du
yappysnap
Liam
eirebilly
Red Right
Eustace H Plimsoll
Cymroglan
Geordie
majesticimperialman
Cadair Idris
Ozzy3213
maestegmafia
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the Greatest Test Try of All Time?

Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 4 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 7 ]
[ 5 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 14 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 59

Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Empty Greatest Test Try of All Time

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a nice wee challenge for people. What do you think was the greatest (in terms of team/individual skill, degree of difficulty, beauty, importance, etc) try ever scored?

I've put a few up in the poll, please tell me your favourite, and I can add them in. Yes I know I'm missing some Shane Williams and Chris Ashton options, but in both cases I've having trouble deciding which was their best.

(Note, I've made it greatest test try for a reason, everyone would vote for Gareth Edwards, Barbarians vs All Blacks, 1973 otherwise)

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Greatest Test Try of All Time - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest Test Try of All Time

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

Doh disappointing to say the least.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:47 am

I just love watching Hancock's try in 1965 vs Scotland, in the last minute to secure a draw. I think he only won two caps, and this was probably the only pass he received in international rugby. Still the longest individual score at Twickenham.

I voted for Blanco in the semi of 87. A great try in the final minute of a great match.

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

biltongbek wrote: Doh disappointing to say the least.

Better than saying that try made me fall in love with Kirwan. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
biltongbek wrote: Doh disappointing to say the least.

Better than saying that try made me fall in love with Kirwan. Whistle
Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:45 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Has to be the 1973 Edwards try v Barbarians, has to be surely. And I was there aged 10 South Enclosure up against the railings - Tight where Grant Batty kicked off in the 2nd half - What a game, what a try against the best team in the world at the time thumbsup
Like when Munster beat NZ it's amazing how many fitted into the grounds in those days Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Some cracking try's listed by the op, but for me, although not many people remember it, but my favourite of all time try was Ieuan Evans's try against Scotland in 1988(I think), it was a long time ago. It was my first time at the Arms Park with my old man, and we were under the kosh for most of the game but then he beats about four players inside and out to go over. It might just be me but that will always stick in my mind, the place just erupted. As I am not as able on here as others, if somebody could please post a link to that try I would be very grateful. thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPkOyPtOwVc

Cheers Alyn, only now got a chance to look at it, sorry for the late reply and all that. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

How are we quantifying 'best'?

Best solo effort?

Best team effort?

Most dramatic?

Most important?

Best finish?

I would probably mention Shane Williams tries V SA in SA. Wales getting beaten up but wow he kepts us in the game.

Also who scored that Kiwi try, from the lineout, 2 loop runners, back and forth, passing before and out of contact etc...

Plus I might get laughed at for this one but Japans effort against Wales in the 2007 world cup wow, tryline to tryline, plenty of passes, and they were getting hammered!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:How are we quantifying 'best'?
Also who scored that Kiwi try, from the lineout, 2 loop runners, back and forth, passing before and out of contact etc...

I believe that is Cullen's effort in 2000 v Australia

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

As nobody thought about Chris Ashtons try v Astralia last year at twickenham? No? i thouight it was a good try anyway.

I still think that Blancos try FRANCE V WALES 5 nations. I am not sure, but i think it was in Cardiff.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

I remember Blanco finishing a great move for France v Wales at the Parc des Princes in 1989, I don't know if that's the one you mean. He sort of tapped the ball to himself as he ran along before he got hold of it properly.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:10 pm

Thats the one chewed... WOW!!!

That for me is the beauty of the game, you can literally try anything you want, and it could come off.

These days that move is way too inefficient and risky for a counter attack, a flat pass for the 12 on a crash is much safer!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

Why isn't Lomus V France in there that was immense!
Also Williams shane V France too.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:44 pm

Scott Gibbs v England.

Why?

There was just something odd about how Englands defence just appeared to freeze. Gibbs seemed to weirdly glide. I still can't describe it.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

Murray Mexteds at Murrayfield 1979 against Scotland was a great individual try from a lineout.

From a lineout 30 yards out lept to take the ball and on landing was already heading for the tryline, beat a couple of players to score.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2