The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is for the Top (Four)?

+12
dublfcynwa
sirfredperry
Ent
Smirnoffpriest
ReallyReal
Sand
Stella
d260005p
rawa86
azania
hampo17
Crimey
16 posters

Go down

Who is for the Top (Four)? Empty Who is for the Top (Four)?

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

The Premiership seems to be heading for an interesting conclusion to the season.

1: Man City 2: Man Utd
P36 GD+61 Pts83 P36 GD+53 Pts83
Newcastle (a) Swansea (h)
QPR (h) Sunderland (a)

Manchester United and Manchester City are both vying for the title.

Fight for the Remaining Champions League Places and Third Place
3: Arsenal 4: Tottenham 5:Newcastle 6:Chelsea
P36 GD+24 Pts66 P36 GD+23 Pts65 P36 GD+9 Pts65 P36 GD+21 Pts61
Norwich (h) Aston Villa (a) Man City (h) Liverpool (a)
West Brom (a) Fulham (h) Everton (a) Blackburn (h)
Recent results have seen the race for the final Champions League places get closer.

Updated: 03/05/2012

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 03 May 2012, 1:40 am; edited 17 times in total (Reason for editing : updated)

Back to top Go down

Who is for the Top (Four)? Empty Re: Who is for the Top (Four)?

Post by Crimey Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:55 am

I think that the top four will finish:

1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Tottenham Hotspur
4. Arsenal

I think that Chelsea and Liverpool just lack an real momentum to gain that fourth place. I think Arsenal catching up will urge Spurs to improve.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 10 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Liverpool lack a clinical striker to propell them to fourth, it pains me to see how many chances we've wasted this season and leaves me wondering had we taken them where we'd be.

Arsenal have to be careful with RVP, if he gets injured they are very short upfront, and defensively they still look all at sea but should have enough to see of Chelsea.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

City
Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea

As soon as Capello left and @Arry's name was mentioned as England manager the wheels were destined to come off. As an Arsenal fan, I'm over the moon.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Sun 11 Mar 2012, 2:55 am

City
Utd
Arsenal
Spurs

I wouldn't rule out spurs finishing above Arsenal but looking at the run ins for the teams chasing 3rd and 4th, Chelsea have the hardest.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:16 am

Chelsea have a huge squad with experienced players who will not feel the pressure as much as spurs. Expect to see Bale attempting to qualify for the Olympic diving team.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

I have updated the original post and added fixture list tables.

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea
Newcastle
Liverpool

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 13 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

Utd
City
Tottenham
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Everton
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:25 pm

Citeh
Utd
Spurs
Arsenal

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

Updated tables. Man City had a crucial win against Chelsea to maintain their title challenge, with the reintroduction of Tevez - who showed his master quality in setting up the second goal - perfect positioning to receive the ball, protecting the ball with his body, waiting for Nasri to run through, and then a ball "through the eye of a needle" back to Nasri. It makes me wonder whether the "Tevez" incident could have been handled differently. Alex Ferguson (or a former player) revealed there had been a similar situation with Scholes refusing to play a few years ago, but obviously Ferguson handled that differently.

In terms of the battle for championship places, Arsenal have moved into third place. Chelsea's home tie with Tottenham looks to be crucial for Chelsea, who also have to play Arsenal away later on in the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

I have UTD to win league by 5 - 9 points looking at the games that are left.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

Arsenal seem to be bankers for third, they have the experience and the form to push forwards from here on in.
Then it's a dogfight between Chelsea and Spurs for fourth and if Chelsea win on Saturday, I'd expect them to sew it up, with Spurs struggling to finish ahead of Newcastle for the Europa league spot.

...but what happens if Chelsea pull off a miracle and win the CL and finish fifth in the league, do we get 5 teams in the CL next year, or would fourth (probably Spurs) miss out on a place?

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 22 Mar 2012, 3:19 pm

They altered the rule when Liverpool did it, the champions have to defend their title and I don't think it affects the league spots.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

It has been said that Mancini has a tendency to go defensive when playing away from home, that he is less attack minded than Ferguson's team. I think this difference is one of the reasons why Man City have "dropped" points relative to Man Utd. Stoke 1 - Man City 1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:12 pm

England will only be given 4 places regardless of IF Chelsea win the CL - therefore whoever finishes 4th will miss out on the CL. Not sure if that means they'll then be given the Europa league spot and 6th will miss out altogether or what.

I see it as

1. Man C
2. Man U
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5.Spurs
6. Liverpool
7. N/castle

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:14 pm

1.city
2.united
3.spurs
4.arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

If united win tonight they would have to be favourites.

They would then have won 6 in a row with 4 games against 4 of the bottom 6, Everton at home then the city game.

Citys next 5 games include 3 away games, with visits to the emirates and Norwich who are decent at home. They've also Newcastle away in the penultimate game.

It is feasible that City could beat United and still finish 2nd - see a lot of people backing city, any particular reason why?

Also think Spurs have a great run in and it will take 2 big wins from Arsenal against city and chelsea to pip them to 3rd.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

Still think City have a very good chance to win the league, Tevez will have a massive say in Citys season for me. They should have beaten Stoke at the weekend, and if not for the goal of the season by Crouch they would have.

I would fancy City to beat Norwich, Sunderland, QPR, Wolves, and Newcastle, probably getting a draw at Arsenal and who knows at OT.

I'd fancy United to beat Swansea, QPR, Wigan, Blackburn and Villa, I think Fulham could snatch a draw tonight, Everton could get a draw and Sunderland last game is no easy place to go and win, even more so now Steve Bruce isn't there to do them any favours Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

It looks like Man U are going to win the Premiership for the second year running with workmanlike and pragmatic football rather than with the sort of attacking, swaggering soccer of some of the past Fergie sides.
I know that everything has gone into silencing the noisy neighbours this campaign, but it has led to some rather dour performances. One thing that can be said is that United have been unbelievably clinical in front of goal and you can't fault their goal-per-match ratio.
Just wish the title could have been won with a bit more style.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

I blame it on Mancini's natural tendency (the Italian style?) to play a more defensive strategy compared to Ferguson's more attack minded approach, that has swung things around in favour of United in the second half of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

sirfredperry wrote:It looks like Man U are going to win the Premiership for the second year running with workmanlike and pragmatic football rather than with the sort of attacking, swaggering soccer of some of the past Fergie sides.
I know that everything has gone into silencing the noisy neighbours this campaign, but it has led to some rather dour performances. One thing that can be said is that United have been unbelievably clinical in front of goal and you can't fault their goal-per-match ratio.
Just wish the title could have been won with a bit more style.

Well ita far from over (given our terrible performance last night), but I think the criticism of the manner of victory is harsh. We are top scorers and even last night had nearly 20 attempts on goal.

We've taken 6 points from arsenal, spurs and 4 from Liverpool and Chelsea.

Granted the leagues weak this year but it is weak for city too.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:34 pm

United will win the league but they should have dropped two points last night if it was'nt for that weak homer ref bottling giving that stone wall pen at Old Trafford. I hope it does'nt get decided by that shocking decision or it will be another tarnished title for bacon face.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

Don't care who wins the league both clubs are sell outs.

I hope Newcastle can go on a similar run to the one they produced in the first 11 games, which would be likely good enough to over throw Spurs.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

Tables updated.

It's funny that during the season all the talk has been about Man City (Tevez, Ballotelli), Arsenal (poor start, Van Persie, Oxalade-Chambers), Tottenham ('Arry for Engerrland), Chelsea (AV Boas being sacked, aging side) yet there has hardly been anything said of Man Utd.

At the beginning of the season there was mention of Paul Scholes being brought out of retirement, and that Sir Alex probably has two more years left managing the side, but during the season they have gone more or less under the radar. Yet in a few years time all that will be remembered of this season is that a) Man Utd win yet another title (most likely).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

Man City losing 1-3 to Sunderland.
Arsenal losing 1-2 to QPR.
Chelsea drawing 2-2 at Aston Villa (it was 2-0 to Chelsea five minutes ago).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

Two goals in two minutes Man City 3 Sunderland 3. Man City still need to win.
Chelsea go back ahead of Villa 3-2.

Torres scores 4-2 to Chelsea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

Newcastle are currently beating Liverpool 2-0. Newcastle's next four fixtures after today are all winnable, which means they too could be a realistic challenge for the top four, or at least be good contenders come May, where their last three matches are very difficult (but they will have something to play for).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:17 pm

city do appear to be bottling it at the wrong time of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

cricketfan90 wrote:city do appear to be bottling it at the wrong time of the season.

That's what happens when you load your team with ex arsenal players Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

With seven games to go the (BBC) experts predict the top four finishers:
All six go for
1. Man Utd
2. Man City
All six go for Arsenal and Tottenham to make up the remainder of the qualifying champions league places, with three going for Arsenal to finish third and the other three going for Spurs to finish third.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17588745

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

Congratulations to Man Utd for winning the title, although today they had a big helping hand from the referee. They are now 8 points ahead of Man City plus have a better goal difference (by +2), and there are only 6 games remaining. Man City also had Ballotelli sent off meaning at least a 4 four game suspension (due to his poor disciplinary record). Man City last 9 games away in the League have resulted in 2 wins 2 draws and 4 losses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Apr 2012, 6:22 pm

It looks that way although I'll still be biting my nails until it's mathematically nailed on

Gotta say though Ballotelli is an absolute muppet, there's players in that City team, mainly Hart and Kompany who don't really deserve to have their season end like this because of this chumps actions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

It would be amazing if Newcastle were able to finish above Spurs in the league - they are currently level on points although Spurs have a massive goal difference advantage. Reasons why it will still be very difficult for Newcastle to finish in the top four - their last three games against top opposition (Chelsea, Man City and Everton), and Chelsea are given a big helping hand from the referee and linesmen due to their "big club / russian wealth" status - which helped get them three points against Wigan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

It looks like Spurs also had the big team benefit from the referee and linesmen, with Norwich being denied two stone-wall penalty claims. Fortunately none of the Norwich players were sent off, and Norwich kept going to score goals in open play that couldn't be ruled for off-side etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 09 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

I really think Newcastle have every chance, they're winning game after game at a better rate than virtually anyone else. Stoke at home next and although the last three games are tough, Man City will have probably lost the title, Chelsea are not the team of a few years ago and Everton are decent, but Newcastle are better as we can see with the big gap in points. I say Arsenal third, Newcaslte fourth Smile

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

The Argentinian pairing of Aguero and Tevez, really works for Man City. Tevez has just scored away to Norwich in the 18th minute, he won't of course last the match. There is no doubting Tevez is a brilliant player and Man City have missed him. It's a shame for Man City that everything went pear shaped between him and Mancini. Aguero has now scored, Man City leading 2-0 away to Norwich.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:44 pm

I can see it going to the last game. I expect City to beat Utd in the derby match and probably win their remaining games. Goal difference will be critical and with city free scoring again, a draw in UTD's last match against Sunderland will cost them the EPL title.

Newcastle away will be huge for city. Its a win at all costs game. If Newcastle have Champions league ambitions, it will be a fun game.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 15 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

i want totenham to get in however its gonna be

man u
man c
arsernal
chelsea

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:45 am

Updated tables.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

I think Chelsea now have a chance of finishing fourth, with Newcastles loss today to Wigan and difficult run-in, and Spurs loss of form.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

After 30 minutes Chelsea lead QPR 4-0 with a brace from Torres. Whatever happens next I think Di Matteo has done enough to get the Chelsea job. The change from AVB to Di Matteo has been astonishing - all starting with the Napoli reversal.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:22 pm

spurs to snatch it but miss out when chelsea win the champions league

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:45 am

updated. Critical match between the two Manchester clubs on Monday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 May 2012, 12:46 am

Updated - Man City now lead Utd on goal difference.

Manchester City's return to form has coincided with the reintroduction of Tevez into the side. Coincidence?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 01 May 2012, 9:02 am

Not at all. The partnership between Aguero and Tevez should have been their partnership all year, in terms of footballing ability Dzeko and Balotelli aren't close to Tevez and that's not taking into account the fact that Aguero and Tevez compliment each other much better than Aguero and any other striker.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 May 2012, 7:25 pm

All three teams competing for the fourth and final European Champions League Spot are playing this evening:

Chelsea v Newcastle 19:45
Bolton v Tottenham 20:00

On a separate matter, a Bolton win will more or less consign Blackburn to the Championship and relegation from the Premiership.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 May 2012, 1:42 am

Updated - it now seems likely that the final two "champions league" places will go to Arsenal and Spurs. I don't see Spurs dropping any further points, now that the uncertainty surrounding them has been lifted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 May 2012, 4:25 pm

It's funny - Mancini's post match comments after his wins against Man Utd and Newcastle - bleary eyed, dazed and drained. The pressure is really getting to him, but he has shown his tactical excellence in beating both Man Utd and Newcastle. A win at home to QPR will see him guide Man City to win their first top league title for over forty years. What a season - Balotelli and Tevez in the same team!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 12:39 pm

if tevez stays on- which i hope he does, and i hope he apoligies on a mass scale!! man city will be frightening next season

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum