The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preistland says...

2 posters

Go down

Preistland says... Empty Preistland says...

Post by Woodstock Mon 12 Mar 2012, 7:01 am

I say this, Rhys was the weakest link in the Welsh team. I am NOT saying he was bad but he needs to improve. He talks about retaining possession but made some poor kicks himself on Saturday. In some ways I feel the lad was thrown in the deep end in the Summer & World Cup but showed he has the skills. I hope he can get them all back for Saturday.

From the BBC link at end of article.

11 March 2012 Last updated at 11:45 GMT

Six Nations: Rhys Priestland seeks Wales improvement against France
RBS Six Nations Championship
Venue: Millennium Stadium, CardiffDate: Saturday, 17 MarchKick-off: 1445 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One, BBC One HD, Red Button and online; listen on BBC Radio 5 Live and Radio Wales; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles; watch again on BBC iPlayer

Fly-half Rhys Priestland says Wales will have to improve if they are to have any chance of securing the Grand Slam against France.

Wales laboured to a 24-3 win over Italy at the Millennium Stadium , their fourth consecutive win in this season's Six Nations.

And Priestland admits Wales will have to improve on the Italian performance when they face the French in Cardiff.

"We'll really have to be on top of our game," said Priestland.

"France on their day can be one of, if not the, best team in the world.

"Our defence will have to be good and we're going to have to take the right options in attack as well.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus Highlights - Wales 24-3 Italy

"It's going to be a really tough week and one we are looking forward to."

Italy restricted Wales to a 9-3 interval lead before second-half tries from Jamie Roberts and Alex Cuthbert secured victory.

Head coach Warren Gatland said the Welsh players were "flat" following the victory over the Azzurri.

"The boys are a bit flat in the dressing room. I thought they really wanted to score some points and didn't really get a chance," said Gatland.

Scarlets fly-half Priestland believes Wales need to work on retaining possession after Italy repeatedly disrupted their ball at the breakdown.

"We have to be pleased with beating the Italians because they've got top players who are playing in some top teams in Europe," said Priestland.

"[We're] pleased with the victory but from a performance side of things there's a lot more in us than we showed.

"We managed to keep hold of the ball quite well and got down their 22 a lot. We didn't really keep ball when we got down there.

"It's pleasing we managed to keep hold of the ball [and] create opportunities.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menusAdvertisementWales flat despite win - Gatland

"But the disappointing thing is we let them off the hook, especially in the first half where we perhaps knocked the ball on or got turned over in the contact area.

"I don't think we were on top of our game in the contact area, especially as backs, so we'll look at it this week.

"There's a lot for us to work on this week so we'll look forward to that."

Next Saturday's match will be the first time Wales and France have met since the World Cup semi-final in Auckland last October.

France won 9-8 in a game which will be remembered for the early dismissal of Wales captain Sam Warburton.

But Priestland says Wales will not be thinking about revenge as they target a third Grand Slam in eight years.

"To be honest that's been and gone," added the 25-year-old.

"They beat us that day but it was a close game and I've got no doubts it will be a close game this week.

"But hopefully things will go more in our favour this time."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17331622
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Preistland says... Empty Re: Preistland says...

Post by eirebilly Mon 12 Mar 2012, 7:07 am

Personally i thought that Priestland did ok on Saturday. As i have said before, the Italians came out with a gameplan of marking him off the ball and to try and defend as much as possible. Thats a pretty hard gameplan to breakdown and in fairness, Wales did it quite well and Priestland did very well under extreme pressure in my eyes.

France will not play that gameplan and will comeout to try and attack Wales and get the win so Priestland will have more time on the ball.

I cant see PSA opting for the same 9/10 combo this weekend.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down