The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grand Slam of Beer

+43
George Carlin
Woodstock
Submachine
RubyGuby
gregortree
doctor_grey
TrailApe
mckay1402
propdavid_london
BATH_BTGOG
Hound_of_Harrow
disneychilly
mystiroakey
EnglishReign
slartibartfast
plenth
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
BlueNote
SecretFly
mr_stonelea
Feckless Rogue
brennomac
Islingtonv2
Glas a du
Biltong
eirebilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Looseheaded
screamingaddabs
B91212
Breadvan
Axeman
HongKongCherry
Cardiff Taffy
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
Pat_Mustard
Morgannwg
gowales
MajorRoadWorks
47 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

6 Nations Beer...

Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 10 ]
Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap37%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 33 ]
Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 89

Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Empty Grand Slam of Beer

Post by MajorRoadWorks Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Ok, with the 6 Nations heading for the final round, a bit more light hearted poll....

What is your beer of the 6 Nations....

Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider

For clarification....

Guys, lets keep in perspective....

The selected beers are synonymous with the tour to that nation, they may not be the best choice beer from that nation.

By all means suggest your preferred pint, but the choices (1 per nation), is all that is on tap behind this 6 Nations Bar. So choose one of these or go without a pint.

I selected them based on the beer most likely to be sold in the capitals of each 6 Nations on match day.

ie. Go around Cardiff on match day, its Brains SA, Dublin is Guinness, London mostly London Pride, Edinburgh its a "pint of heavy" (McEwans), Peroni in Rome, and K'berg in Paris....

As I have said, I'm not saying they are the best ales, most aren't. (Guinness being the exception in Dublin only mind), but this is a Rugby Tour theme....So that's the choice.... One of those or drink on your own Hug

Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider Ale guinness cider

Last edited by MajorRoadWorks on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 Empty Re: Grand Slam of Beer

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 am

MajorRoadWorks wrote:So looks like the round is.....

Brains SA 8 pints
AleAleAleAleAleAleAleAle
Guinness 26 pints
guinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinnessguinness
London Pride 6 pints
AleAleAleAleAleAle
Kronenbourg 1664 10 pints
cidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercider
McEwan's Heavy 5 pints
AleAleAleAleAle
Peroni 14 pints
cidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercider

Come and get them..... Hug

... and lets all drink to the best team of the 6 Nations.....

WALES Wales

Yahoo

thumbsup Wales Wales Wales Wales Wales Wales Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am

So that will be bottled Gwynt y Ddraig, Black Dragon cider then Ruby Smile

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:So that will be bottled Gwynt y Ddraig, Black Dragon cider then Ruby Smile

That would be perfect Hound - No harrowing this weekend for me please Shocked thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Draught cans of Guinness ice cold out the beer fridge is as close as I can get here in NZ but a casual 12 cans on a Saturday night will suffice. Can find places as cheap as $16 for four ... bloody Countdown its $27 for 6 bottles of the stuff !! Still better than Waikato swap beer, Steinlager or Lion Red, but a nice jug or 6 of Speights is just the job belch burp hic Whisky guinness
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Woodstock wrote:Draught cans of Guinness ice cold out the beer fridge is as close as I can get here in NZ but a casual 12 cans on a Saturday night will suffice. Can find places as cheap as $16 for four ... bloody Countdown its $27 for 6 bottles of the stuff !! Still better than Waikato swap beer, Steinlager or Lion Red, but a nice jug or 6 of Speights is just the job belch burp hic Whisky guinness

Nice to see someone else following my "never drink anything made with Waikato river water" theory Wink

Where is Guinness being brewed in NZ now? The Canterbury Brewery* was damaged beyond repair in the Christchurch earthquake.

*Guinness used to run an annual competition between it's breweries to see who's brew was closest to matching the Dublin one. Canterbury won 5 years running so were withdrawn from the competition.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 pm

In all honesty, I wont be drinking anything during the Wales game - sorry lads, I'd be back and forth the loo for 50 minutes of the 80 and that's nearly as long as it takes to set the scrum for the whole game. Champagne hopefully flowing for the Eng v Ire match thumbsup Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm

the best playing 'away' nation pints:

Guinness (stout) nuff said
Kbourg (good quality conti style lager)

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Belgium don't play in 6n, but if they did, wow.
I'd have to go with Leffe Blonde draft, what a beautiful beer.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Wales - where to start. Apart from the delicious Dark, Brains have fallen from favour with discerning beer drinkers.

I'm worried that they might be phasing out Brains Dark. They're really pushing their new stout instead - Brains Black, is it called? - and a pint of Dark is becoming harder to find.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Try Kwak Gregortree, a lovely smooth beer. Also Delirium Tremens and Ch'ti are gorgeous.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Disney, in which country are these brewed / sold ? Will look out for tehm.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Delirium Tremens - nice name for a beer!

A sometimes fatal reaction to alcohol abuse.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Guillotine is another Belgian beer that is as good as its name Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm

AsLong: so did you lose your head on this Ale ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 pm

McEwans 70' is not a patch on Belhaven Best.

Or any of the winter ales. Drool
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:43 pm

disneychilly wrote:Try Kwak Gregortree, a lovely smooth beer. Also Delirium Tremens and Ch'ti are gorgeous.

Kwak is lethal. Never agin... Sad
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 pm

George Carlin wrote:McEwans 70' is not a patch on Belhaven Best.

Or any of the winter ales. Drool

Never had Belhaven, but I know there is a B&B in my town called the Belhaven after the beer, and the owner used to get the beer shipped in.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 am

You can get them around the UK save for Ch'ti which I only found living in France. Look for the pubs that boast about having hundreds of beers you usually find them in there. I never drank them in London though but I have seen a couple about the UK. In Dublin The Bull And Castle has a few great ones. In NZ I'd hit Leuven in Wellington for them. Can any Brits help out Gregortree?

Screaming yeah you have to respect them. Disrespect them, and they will you in the morning!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 am

kwack kwack lol- must drink out of the test tube type thing with the wooden handle

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 am

Major, great thread man, clap and a grand beer tour thrown in. Very rugby.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 am

disneychilly wrote:You can get them around the UK save for Ch'ti which I only found living in France. Look for the pubs that boast about having hundreds of beers you usually find them in there. I never drank them in London though but I have seen a couple about the UK. In Dublin The Bull And Castle has a few great ones. In NZ I'd hit Leuven in Wellington for them. Can any Brits help out Gregortree?

Screaming yeah you have to respect them. Disrespect them, and they will you in the morning!

best places would be food and wine type establishments or beer circus type pubs- then there is allways online!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:51 am

Just adding a punt for Black Sheep- either the basic bitter or Riggwelter heart

For Ireland the Black Stuff is the obvious one but also a shout for the various independent brewers north and south that are trying to get people into real ales. Well worth trying if you get the chance.

Regarding Kwak and the "test tube" glasses a few years ago in Brussels about half a dozen of us were in a bar drinking Kwak so rather than give us a seperate stand each, the pub produced a sort of circular wagon wheel with spaces for all the glasses that sat in the middle of the table...which reminds me I've got half a dozen bottles at home....

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 am

love that eccentricity of every belgium beer having its own styled glass- and i agree with em that it adds to the pleasure.

The Kwack glass is some sweet invention. I like the idea of the circular wagon , havent seen one!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 am

gregortree wrote:AsLong: so did you lose your head on this Ale ?
gregor, even better - my daughter's then boyfriend was foolish enough to insist that he try one cos he liked the name, but after the evening session that we had been on, there was only ever going to be one result: vomit

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

I know that this is not a debate over what's best so I'll keep this breif. Innis and Gunn is pretty damn good and I would advise all who visit Edinburgh to try this Whisky Beer, utterly awesome.

For the record a wee dram of Laphroig, The McAllan or Glenmorangie would be my tipple of choice.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 am

glenmorange is my whisky of choice

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 am

I'd go for Laphroaig, even though I ended up with a hangover on Christmas Day last year because of it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 am

Balvenie DoubleWood is my habitual tipple.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Guinness used to run an annual competition between it's breweries to see who's brew was closest to matching the Dublin one. Canterbury won 5 years running so were withdrawn from the competition.
I wish they ran the same competition here in Canada. It's drinkable but not like back in the UK where I could literally poor it down my throat until I'd doubled my body weight without pausing for breath. Here it's not as smooth and the aftertaste is more bitter. And at $19.50 CAD for 8 cans it's not the cheapest either (that's about 1.55 per can in British money).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am

B91212 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:Guinness used to run an annual competition between it's breweries to see who's brew was closest to matching the Dublin one. Canterbury won 5 years running so were withdrawn from the competition.
I wish they ran the same competition here in Canada. It's drinkable but not like back in the UK where I could literally poor it down my throat until I'd doubled my body weight without pausing for breath. Here it's not as smooth and the aftertaste is more bitter. And at $19.50 CAD for 8 cans it's not the cheapest either (that's about 1.55 per can in British money).

That was a international comp mate, so the Canadians were entered too. I'm guessing you've figured out why they weren't winning it Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 am

stlowe wrote:Balvenie DoubleWood is my habitual tipple.

I'm quite partial to Balvenie DoubleWood at the moment. Glenmorange is probably my overall favourite distillery, though I'm always willing to try a new single malt Very Happy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 am

Good article, nice to find one with no bickering! I voted for London Pride out of a sense of civic, well, pride! But I'm very much a horses for courses type of person!

Beers like that kwak stuff are a bit dangerous in my opinion, a good way to guarentee a headache the next day! A beer I've really enjoyed from around the world would be Windhoek, which is now freely available in the UK which makes it a far less exciting!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:27 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
B91212 wrote:

That was a international comp mate, so the Canadians were entered too. I'm guessing you've figured out why they weren't winning it Wink
Unfortunately I have. Canadians brew some okay larger and pale ale's (certainly better than the american crap that passes as beer down there) but I still miss a decent pint of Guinness and traditional ales. Last time I visited the UK I was like a kid at Christmas and lived on a diet of bacon sandwiches for breakfast, fish & chips or kebabs at lunch and a decent curry most nights, mixed with generous amounts of the aforementioned beer's. Added to the fact that I wasn't doing any exercise whatsoever due to being on holiday I returned to Canada 12 pounds heavier than when I left 10 days before. I even had to buy some fat jeans for the flight home Shocked.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:29 am

B91212 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
B91212 wrote:

Unfortunately I have. Canadians brew some okay larger and pale ale's (certainly better than the american crap that passes as beer down there) but I still miss a decent pint of Guinness and traditional ales. Last time I visited the UK I was like a kid at Christmas and lived on a diet of bacon sandwiches for breakfast, fish & chips or kebabs at lunch and a decent curry most nights, mixed with generous amounts of the aforementioned beer's. Added to the fact that I wasn't doing any exercise whatsoever due to being on holiday I returned to Canada 12 pounds heavier than when I left 10 days before. I even had to buy some fat jeans for the flight home Shocked.

lol its normally the other way round- brits putting on pounds when going to north american!!!

blimey you did overindulge abit mind !! id say good work but am currently trying to shed a stone so feel abit jealous

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:41 am

mystiroakey wrote:
B91212 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:
B91212 wrote:

lol its normally the other way round- brits putting on pounds when going to north american!!!

blimey you did overindulge abit mind !! id say good work but am currently trying to shed a stone so feel abit jealous
It took about 8 weeks of living like a monk to shed the weight when I got back. There is a chance I may be returning again in the summer for a week so I thought about doing more of the moderation thing next time. Either that or crash diet for a month before I leave.

Good luck loosing that stone - there is nothing worse than depriving yourself of the finer things in life Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 am

Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:53 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Wales - where to start. Apart from the delicious Dark, Brains have fallen from favour with discerning beer drinkers.

I'm worried that they might be phasing out Brains Dark. They're really pushing their new stout instead - Brains Black, is it called? - and a pint of Dark is becoming harder to find.

It would be a crying shame if the Dark (mild) was to go lucky. Mind you demand for it has fallen massively with much of the heavy industry in S. Wales having closed

disneychilly - where on earth did you come up with 'smooth' to describe Kwak? Shocked It's a blend of geuze beers, known for their sourness. A very acquired taste is that stuff.

Beer wise we are lucky at Wasps (well those of us travelling to Wycombe by train) because the Bootlegger opposite the station does about 8 ales, several continental lagers and beers on draught, and around 300 bottled beers; many of them Belgian.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 am

Sorry Hound it was in comparison to the other Belgian beers, not other beer in comparison. Living 10 minutes from the Belgian border ensures you drink enough of the stuff to remove any rough edges you find when you start drinking them habitually Wink

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 am

No worries dc Smile

Enjoy your tipple.

I love Grand Place in Brussels. Pricey, but a superb place to sit outside a bar and have a beer (or several).

Wink

Antwerp is damn good too. Let Belgium into the 6N. They'll get thrashed, but everyone will have a great time Grand Slam of Beer - Page 3 3933776953

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 am

Hey Hound I'm hitting Bruges in May before heading to Paris to see Soundgarden. You know any nice places to enjoy said tipples in Bruges?

Last edited by disneychilly on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

I will be there easter durkng the masters. anyone know a pkace to watch it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks all for contributing to the thread and most importantly enjoying it without the usual bickering... Shows rugby fans get on (mostly)....

Right I bought the first round...

The round now stands at...

Brains SA 10 pints
AleAleAleAleAleAleAleAleAleAle
Guinness 33 pints
guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness
London Pride 10 pints
AleAleAleAleAleAleAleAleAleAle
Kronenbourg 1664 11 pints
cidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercider
McEwan's Heavy 6 pints
AleAleAleAleAleAle
Peroni 18 pints
cidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercidercider

So come on, who's buying the next... I'm getting a thirst on here.

Drool

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:50 pm

i see what your doing here- you get the cheaper first round!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 am

mystiroakey wrote:i see what your doing here- you get the cheaper first round!!

Whistle

Not sure about that. An 88 pint round (and increasing), as cant see many making it to the end Laugh

.....but in true Rugby Tour tradition....

WE'RE GOING TO TRY.... Yahoo

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:06 am

ok i will get the next virtual round then. am i allowed to have a short or a leffe . I cant drink to much guiness, it makes my pee turn black

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3