The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

+12
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
guildfordbat
Barney92
Fists of Fury
Biltong
atletico86
BuLioli
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread Empty Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 am

Essentially, 16 teams are going for two places at this years World Twenty20 Tournament.

Which Nations?

Afghanistan
Bermuda
Canada
Denmark
Hong Kong
Ireland
Italy
Kenya
Namibia
Nepal
Netherlands
Oman
Papua New Guinea (Featuring Geriant Jones!)
Scotland
Uganda
USA

How Does it Work?

The 16 teams are split into two groups of eight and will play seven round-robin group matches in eight days to start off the event. The top three teams in each group will qualify for the knockout phase. The group winners face off against each other in the first qualifying final with the winner going to Sri Lanka and the loser getting a second crack at clinching a berth once the rest of the knockout phase unfolds.

The second and third place teams in each group face the possibility of playing four matches in three days during the knockout phase, meaning they may wind up playing 11 matches over 12 days in 30 degree Celsius conditions during the tournament, in order to claim one of the two available places alongside the ten Full Members at the 2012 ICC World Twenty20.

The team that successfully runs the gauntlet in the UAE will have the privilege of facing off against Australia and the West Indies in Sri Lanka. The runner-up at the qualifier gets to take on India, as well as reigning World Twenty20 champion England.

Useful Links

Complete Fixture List (Cricinfo)
Complete Preview (Cricinfo)
Squad Lists (Cricinfo)
Results Page (Cricinfo)
Points Table (Cricinfo)

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread Empty Re: Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:37 am

you have to fancy Ireland for this one really. Afghanistan look a decent bet too (is Hassan fit again?), while I have a gut feeling Scotland may struggle. Look to Italy to maybe create some surprises (hope they don't though...)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread Empty Re: Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks for this thread, great to see.

Group B is by far the toughest: Ireland are favourites and rightly so, but Scotland, Namibia and Kenya will all fancy their chances. Personally I quite fancy Namibia, they have some very fine batsmen. Kenya haven't done too well recently, but there are signs of progress (they should have had Ireland in the ICC match, and defeated them in an ODI). Ireland have quality all the way through, Stirling can score 100s in T20s, Joyce, Porterfield, Wilson are all quality, Cushack is also more than reasonable and then you've got Kevin O'Brien and John Mooney to accelerate. Bowling-wise, Rankin, Johnston and Dockrell are all genuine quality, backed up by dibby-dobbers. It's a very well balanced side, although they may come to regret their stance on N O'Brien. But I doubt it, I think they'll qualify.

Then there's Italy: as I said on another thread T20 is a different game, and all it takes is a couple of batsmen to really get going and all of a sudden you are facing 170. Whilst Italy's bowling is fairly average at that level, if Di Venutto bats out and Berg smashes say 60 off 30 balls (which he has done at county level, so will fancy he can repeat in this tournament)... Northcote, Crawley and Pettricola are also hard-hitting quality batsmen. If Italy do get 170 or so, at that level that's a tough chase, no matter how good you are. Can easily see Italy finishing in the top 3 (they'd need to upset probably Kenya and AN other, or hope Kenya beats someone else and rely on NRR).

Uganda could cause an upset but I doubt it. And I'd be very surprised if Oman or the USA made much of an impression.

Group B: Afghanistan are strong favourites, particularly with the Netherlands missing the best associate player (of all time) in RTD. The Afghans also have a well-balanced side, but slightly less depth than Ireland. But T20 is not the format which requires the most depth in batting, and it will take a brave man to bet against them.

The dutch are probably still the next best side in that group, and have quality batsmen in Kervezee, Barresi, Swarcieski (spelling?) and of course Cooper, who has played for Australia A. Seelar is as good a spinner around (bar Dockrell), and Van Der Gugten is an excellent "find" (he's another Aussie, despite the name). They will however miss RTD's spark, and I think will finish just short.

The rest of the group is wide open. Canada have gone backwards somewhat. PNG have a fantastic development program and are bolstered of course by Geraint Jones, but untested at that level. Denmark have a very solid, well drilled side, dynamic in the field, but apart from Klokker (who is a wonderful player and person) and maybe Pedersen it's tough to see their batting score enough runs against some of the quality bowling they'll face.

Nepal I admit I don't know much about, apart from that outside the test playing nations they attract the biggest support base at home (and usually far greater than for a lot of test match days). They are ranked well below PNG, and were perhaps a surprise qualifier ahead of the more fancied UAE.

Bermuda I can't see causing much problems, they really have gone backwards since 2007, and have internal worries (David Hemp is NOT a popular captain - unsurprising given he's never in Bermuda). Hong-Kong I know nothing about.

So overall, who do I expect to see get through: the very format and the fact that only 2 places are up for grabs makes this an interesting tournament: I would fancy two of Ireland, Afghanistan, Namibia, Scotland, Holland. Probably in that order.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Well, don't say you weren't forwarned... Namibia's batsmen produced the goods against Ireland, and 160 was never going to be an easy chase (I don't think we'll see too many scores over 140/150 chased this tournament) - Ireland really needed one of their big guns to fire and they didn't. First surprise of the tournament.

Italy predictably dismantled Oman, and Di Venutto and Pettricola already showing their credentials. Uganda just squeezed past the USA. Afghanistan struggled against PNG and were indebted to a fine knock by Mohammed Nabi (who played against England in their warm-up in Dubai). In the matches in progress, Bermuda have a solid platform against Denmark, and Holland will be looking to accelerate with Kervezee, Borren and Bukhari to score 130 against Canada, which may be enough. Scotland are predictably dismantling Kenya.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Half-time scores in the other matches:

Scotland 178/7 against Kenya: would be astonished if Kenya chased that down. Scotland clearly showing they're strong contenders. With them, Ireland and Namibia in group B it's going to be a tough group. Throw in Italy as well...

Bermuda 116/7 against Denmark, they'll be disappointed with that having been 80odd/2 at some stage. Michael Pedersen bowled the key spell for Denmark with his flat off-spinners yielding 1/12. 50/50 at the moment, Danes slight favourites but will be hoping for Klokker and/or Pedersen to anchor the chase home for them.

Bukhari provided a good finish for the Netherlands who made 135/6. Kervezee and Cooper also made useful 20s. I would have the dutch favourites with that, but Canada have big hitters in Patel and Cheema, and a class act in Jimmy Hansra.

Nepal have made 130/6. I don't know either side very well so have no idea what to make of that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Kenya have made a fantastic start having said that...

Canada's top order have crumbled, it all rests on Hansra now.

Denmark have made a good start, Klokker going well.

Nepal are trouncing Hong-Kong.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by BuLioli Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Hello Mike - thanks for starting this thread. I reckon Nepal might spring a few surprises this year. Their U-19 and other junior teams have been outstanding over the years, and a few of those who played in them will now be in the senior team. Don't think they'll get a qualifying spot from Group A - Afghanistan and the Netherlands are in the same group, but they'll be relatively high up in the table.
Surprise team in group B? I'll go with Uganda. Like Nepal, they have a very decent junior setup, and almost all of their squad is Ugandan-born, which bodes very well for the growth of the sport in the country.

BuLioli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Actually duty started the thread.

Pleased to hear more about Nepal.

Scotland have recovered from the early onslaught and just got a crucial run-out (you can watch this game live on quiputv BTW). Kenya could still do it, but tough work from here.

Canada have recovered well and Hansra is still going, still a slight chance.

Denmark are about the same score as Bermuda were, Freddie doing the business so far.

Nepal are crunching Hong-Kong.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Hansra gone, game over.

Kenya probably out of it now.

Denmark still in the balance, Riswan Mahmood is a good hitter but does eat up quite a few dots as well. It's a good balance with Freddie Klokker but a couple of wickets would change the complexion of that game.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 pm

I may have spoken too soon on Kenya, a couple of good overs but now a wicket, LBW trying a reverse sweep...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 pm

watching the Kenya game here

http://www.quipu.tv/html/live.html

Kenya need 39 off 22 balls with both Obuyas at the crease

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 pm

All over for Holland, an excellent win for them.

Klokker gone after a fine 50, Denmark still need a run a ball...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by BuLioli Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm

Apologies Duty for not giving you the credit for the thread! Hug

A tale of two collapses for Canada then - Seelaar destroyed their lower order. Looks like they could be very dependant on Jimmy Hansra for the batting.
Kenya now need 25 off 12....

BuLioli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Denmark over the line thanks for Mahmood's 3rd 6. I still don't think they'll get enough runs to worry the top teams (Klokker, good though he is, is more of an accumulator). Good win for them though...

Obuya gone, surely that's that now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by BuLioli Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 am

So no chance of having a flutter at Kenya getting 21 off the last over? Wink

BuLioli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 am

Nope, Scotland hold their nerve and win a closely fought match.

That's that for today folks. Nothing from today's results changes my views on how the tournament will proceed. No real shocks apart from Ireland (which was a mini-shock, but not the earth-shattering result some people will soon have you believe, Namibia are a good side).

Roll on tomorrow.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 am

I would sat Ireland losing to Namibia is more than a "mini-shock". Sure Namibia are a good side, but Ireland were favourites going into this tournament, so you would have expected them to win that one. Well done Namibia though. Also pleased for Denmark, do you know if any of their current bunch played against us back in the day?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:20 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I would sat Ireland losing to Namibia is more than a "mini-shock". Sure Namibia are a good side, but Ireland were favourites going into this tournament, so you would have expected them to win that one.

Disagree. It was the equivalent of say Australia beating India at the last world cup? outisde favourite with proven quality against favourite? Honestly I wasn't that surprised, Ireland are a formidable outfit, but this is T20 we're talking about, and games swing on very minor things. Namibia have a fine batting line-up, possibly more destructive than Ireland's. And it's the first game of the tournament, teams still ajusting. The media will no doubt build it up as something huge, but honestly? Suprise yes, shock on par with Ireland beating England at the last WC no.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Also pleased for Denmark, do you know if any of their current bunch played against us back in the day?

Not sure but don't think so. Pedersen and Klokker are too old (Pedersen only just, he's Arun's age). Zishan Shah was playing for them, but allegedly had an attitude problem. Possibly Bobby Chawla, but I can't remember any good leggies we played against TBH...?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 am

personally as an irish fan i have a bad feeling for our chances...our batting lineup is not as mighty as it seems in this format n over the past yr we have had to rely on a few individuals...Also i think we have shot ourselves in the foot by not including nialler & tim murtagh for mccann & nigel jones respectively. I no the selectors were trying to make a statement but qualification for major tournaments is one of the most important things to continue the growth of the game here. Also as fantastic as trent has been for us in the past i have noticed over the last yr he is not the bowler he once was.

Nambia cud be a surprise especially as their results in other competitions can be somewot misleading, particuarly as thy cannot always field their strongest team. Afghanastan are the favs for me, but their chances wil be seriously hampered if hammid hassan does not recover full fitness. Scotland are more than handy n i think thy wil have a major say who qualifies. Lastly the dutch have a good batting lineup n their bowling lineup wil be stronger than recent yrs wid their newest foreign recruit Van der Gugten. Some of the other teams cud pull-off one-off shocks but dont think thy wil feature in the final 6

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:04 am

Duty, thanks for the thread, could you by any chance put a quick link up for the logs and results.

thanks mate. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 am

ireland lost to namibia, either today or yesterday lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 am

biltongbek: here is a link to the tournament page on cricket europe

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/DATABASE/2012/TOURNAMENTS/T20WCQ/index.shtml

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 am

Cheers thanks mate, it looks like the Ireland vs Namibia match was a humdinger, only 4 runs in it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Ireland absolutely tonked Kenya to recover some pride, Porterfield showing some much needed form. 2 defeats in 2 days for Kenya, and this one won't do any good to their NRR either.

PNG are having a good bash at a stiff target set by Canada, but now need 15 off the last over, unlikely.

USA have put up good resistance against Italy but unless something bizarre happens will fall just short.

Hong-Kong beat Bermuda comfortably, not good signs for Bermuda.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm

PNG fall just short, that's a big win for Canada who have possibly beaten their closest rivals for 3rd place in group A.

Italy's batsmen didn't do so well, but were helped by a fine knock from Aussie Carl Sandri, who took 4 wickets yesterday. 137 was always going to be a tough chase, but hang on, Berg concedes 6 and 4 off the first 2 balls of final over and it's game on!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

9 off 1 ball, Berg has pulled it back.

Thus all games going according to plan so far today.

2nd round of matches:

Afghanistan vs Holland: Afghanistan struggled a bit in their first match, could Holland spring a surprise?

Denmark v Nepal: two solid sides with good development programs. Should be a close match this one.

Namibia vs Scotland: another finely balanced game which should be fascinating: whoever wins has taken a strong step towards topping the group.

Oman vs Uganda: I don't rate either side's chances that high, but Uganda should win comfortably.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 pm

watching the Oman vs Uganda game, Uganda have been fantastic in the field, and look like restricting Oman to a pretty low score.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 pm

i assume that game is on a stream on the internet mfc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

quipu tv are showing some matches, I posted a link higher up the page. I think ESPN will be televising some of the later stage matches too...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Haven't managed to watch any today, but seems like Nepal and Namibia are continuing on their form.

Uganda-Oman is closer than expected, Holland-Afghanistan could get very interesting, the Afghans didn't chase down a lower score against a less experienced side all that comfortably, whilst Holland look to achieve a similar score to the one they made against Canada.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Kervezee has played an absolute blinder here, Afghanistan needing 150 to win. I make the dutch slight favourites, unless Mohammed Shahzad gets going.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 pm

That Shahzad is a right gun, isn't he? Seems all set up for a thriller.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

First ton of the tournament for Van der Weesthuizen (Sp?) against Scotland. Tall order to chase for the scots...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Scotland have gotten off to a handy start though.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 pm

A cracking ton, too, by all accounts. Clean hitting and from just 50-something balls, I believe. Only faced 13 dot balls in his entire innings.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Afghanistan struggling, but as long as Shahzad is there they have a chance.

Scotland pretty much dead and buried after a flurry of wickets.

Nepal cruise past Denmark, expected that one to be a bit closer.

Uganda 92/3 with the best part of 7 overs left. They should get there but you never know.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Afghan holland looks like its gonna be a thriller....afghans need 25 frm lst 3 overs

Yganda r doin their best to throw their game away

Also wot a knock frm van der westhuisen, Nambia cud be surprise finalists now

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 pm

16 frm 2 overs, pity d game isnt on tv!

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

oman uganda is turning into a cracker too...tlk about bottling it!!

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Uganda get home, eventually, but they nearly made a mess of that. Afghanistan need 8 off the last 5 balls, this one is tight...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

4 off 3...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:53 pm

and they've done it!!!! Noor Ali picks up two boundaries in the last over to see his side over the line with two balls to spare. Great finish!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 am

Great chase by Afghanistan, their class acts are really coming through for them which is what Ireland couldn't do yesterday. Holland will be disappointed and possibly missed a trick with Bukhari only bowling 2 overs. But on the basis of the 2 matches so far I'd expect Holland to finish 2nd.

I had Namibia 3rd favourites for this tournament given the experience they gained in the SA league. Not surprised to see them doing well.

Denmark's problem is they're a solid side, but lacking star performers.

Nepal doing well, after surprising UAE in the pre-qualifiers, could they spring another surprise and get one of the top 3 finishes? You would still have to say that after Afghanistan and Holland it is wide open.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 am

Mike Selig wrote:Thanks for this thread, great to see.

Group B is by far the toughest: Ireland are favourites and rightly so ....
.... It's a very well balanced side, although they may come to regret their stance on N O'Brien.

Hi Mike - just catching up on all this.

I too very much appreciate the thread plus all the input being provided. Apart from Ireland and some of the bigger names (Berg, Jones) playing for other countries, I know hardly anything about these teams and their players. A shame that there are no obviously available tv highlights.

I've clearly missed something about Niall O'Brien. What's that about please?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

biltongbek wrote:Duty, thanks for the thread, could you by any chance put a quick link up for the logs and results.

thanks mate. thumbsup

Yep, I've put up a results page link and a link for the points table.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 am

Right just a quick summary with all teams having played 2 games:

Group A

Afghanistan and the unhyped Nepal both have 100% records. Following on, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Denmark and Canada have a 50% record and are still well in the hunt for places in the top three. Off the pace having lost both games are Papua New Guinea and Bermuda.

Group B

Namibia, Italy and Uganda all have 100% records in these groups while Ireland and Scotland have each lost a game. USA, Oman and, surprisingly, Kenya have lost both games and have been cast adrift from the pack.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:39 am

[quote="guildfordbat"]
Mike Selig wrote:

Hi Mike - just catching up on all this.

I've clearly missed something about Niall O'Brien. What's that about please?

He accepted the offer to play in the BPL, which made him unavailable for Ireland's tour of Kenya (where they just won the 4-day game, won the ODIs 2-1 and the T20s 2 or 3-0). Ireland had publicly asked people to be available all year under threat of not necessarily making the squad.

Whilst their principles are to be lauded, you do think common sense should have prevailed somehow.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks, Mike. Understand and agree with your thoughts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 am

ya mike i agree common sense should have prevailed, i also think murtagh shud have been included. If we had nialler n murtagh instead of jones and mccann respectively, the squad would have been much stronger. But principles are principles, and they wil have to make do. I dont have a good feeling for us in this tourney.

Did any1 else hear from the commentary/match coverage that one of the ugandan players batting at the end, also represents them in davis cup!!Extraordinary

Nambia have been the revelation of the tournament, but it wil be interesting how they respond if louis van der Westhuizen does not fire, which is bound to occur at some stage. However thy do have the easiest run of games in grp B as thy have played both of the supposed big guns (ire n scot).

I think the afghanies are the favs to win the whole thing n wil do so, after that it is wide open in my opinion. Its a travesty only 2 qualify for the main competition

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next