The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote)

+22
nickj
chewed_mintie
TJ1
Manky-Flanker
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
SimonofSurrey
CaleyShaun
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
123skelm
21st Century Schizoid Man
Knowsit17
Shifty
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
KickAndChase
IanBru
Imperialbigdave
flyhalffactory
albaook
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote)

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_lcap70%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 30 ]
Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_lcap28%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 12 ]
Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_lcap2%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 43

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Empty Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote)

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:08 pm

All

I decided that I needed to call an EGM to discuss the latest selection for the Italy match. I personally felt it was so woeful, that we needed to have a new vote on the position of a so called 'Manager' of the Scotland Rugby team - Please step forward Mr Robinson - your time is up (well unless the SRU 'like' him and give him a golden position)

Yes 25% 55% 42% 52% 39% 61%
no 30% 20% 37% 32% 54% 36%
Depends if Scotland finish higher that 2nd last 44% 24% 20% 14% 5% 2%

Vote away

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Empty Re: Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote)

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

Cuthbert Laugh vomit
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote) Empty Re: Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? (7th Vote)

Post by albaook Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

I was in the "he should stay camp", no longer. I've come over to the dark side as the selections are becoming bizarre.

I will be watching in the pub. Ale

If there was a sofa to hide behind I'd be there, as this will not be pretty. My heart hopes Scotland will win, my head says Italy.

Crying or Very sad

albaook

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

F@@k this is depressing,

One thing I used to say about my fellow posters is that we always had decent debates............. now we have just assassin airheads who produce "polls"

Can we get a poll to get rid of the lazy pollsters

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:44 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:F@@k this is depressing,

One thing I used to say about my fellow posters is that we always had decent debates............. now we have just assassin airheads who produce "polls"

I forgot you have an unwavering loyalty to Robinson.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

If you don't like them, then I am happy if you ignore them - it is less boring than the Lions debates which make up 99% of the polls

angel

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:F@@k this is depressing,

I forgot you have an unwavering loyalty to Robinson.

No you are seeing something that is quite clearly not there
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

Why not contribute to the question askked then instead of just dismissing it as lazy?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

Robinson has not picked a team since the RWC with everyone in their correct position.

RWC :
Red Out of position
Green better players available

Game V Romania
FB 15 Chris Paterson
RW 14 Max Evans
OC 13 Joe Ansbro
IC 12 Sean Lamont Winger
LW 11 Simon Danielli
FH 10 Ruaridh Jackson
SH 9 Mike Blair
N8 8 Richie Vernon Denton better player
OF 7 John Barclay
BF 6 Kelly Brown
RL 5 Alastair Kellock (c) Jim Hamilton Better player
LL 4 Richie Gray
TP 3 Geoff Cross
HK 2 Ross Ford
LP 1 Allan Jacobsen

Game V Georgia :

FB 15 Rory Lamont 70'
RW 14 Max Evans
OC 13 Nick De Luca
IC 12 Graeme Morrison Grove/King/Scott better players
LW 11 Sean Lamont
FH 10 Dan Parks Jackson/Weir better players
SH 9 Rory Lawson (c)
N8 8 Kelly Brown Blindside Flanker
OF 7 Ross Rennie
BF 6 Alasdair Strokosch
RL 5 Jim Hamilton
LL 4 Nathan Hines
TP 3 Euan Murray
HK 2 Ross Ford
LP 1 Allan Jacobsen

Game Vs Argentina :

FB 15 Chris Paterson
RW 14 Max Evans
OC 13 Nick De Luca
IC 12 Graeme Morrison Grove/King/Scott better players
LW 11 Sean Lamont
FH 10 Ruaridh Jackson
SH 9 Rory Lawson (c)
N8 8 Kelly Brown Blind Side Flanker
OF 7 John Barclay Ross Rennie had been the form player
BF 6 Ally Strokosch
RL 5 Jim Hamilton
LL 4 Richie Gray
TP 3 Geoff Cross
HK 2 Ross Ford
LP 1 Allan Jacobsen

Game Vs England
FB 15 Chris Paterson
RW 14 Max Evans
OC 13 Joe Ansbro NDL form player
IC 12 Sean Lamont Winger
LW 11 Simon Danielli
FH 10 Ruaridh Jackson
SH 9 Mike Blair
N8 8 Richie Vernon Dave Denton
OF 7 John Barclay Ross Rennie
BF 6 Ally Strokosch
RL 5 Alastair Kellock (c) Jim Hamilton
LL 4 Richie Gray
TP 3 Euan Murray
HK 2 Ross Ford
LP 1 Allan Jacobsen

as for the 6N, Parks against England, Barlcay at blindside Flanker, Jackson on the bench, Cusiter starting instead of Blair the list goes on.

It's made worse by the fact Robinson "begged" Parks to come back and play against England.

There is nothing left to debate for me.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

In defence of FHF, this is the seventh poll we've had on this particular subject. Christ knows what the other nations' supporters think of us!

As I've always said, why would we replace Robinson when we have no real idea who should replace him? Sure, there are candidates, but there is no 'Mr X' who has had us asking "That Mr X has done wonders with Team Y. Why isn't he coaching Scotland? I'm sure he be interested." (well, apart from TJ's bezzy mate Todd Blackadder).

It's not that I have 'unwavering loyalty' to Robinson (some of his selections have been a somewhat ropey) - I'm just keen to avoid hysterically blaming the coach for the failings of the players.

Can we honestly say that the players have been let down by the coach? I don't think so.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

Have an open application.

If Lancaster gets the England job I'm pretty sure Mallet might throw his hat into the ring, probably EOS, Bradley might fancy a crack as might Sean Lineen. To be honest I would have let Chic Chalmers apply for the Glasgow job and let him have a crack at the Scotland job after his ecpericnce goes up.

At this stage Lievermont would be a better coach IMO.

Robinson picks the wrong players and when he is not picking the wrong ones he picks players out of position. BEing a coach is easy, watch as many games as possible, pick the players who have performed the best and hope they don't screw up.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Lol that's not really all a coach does Very Happy

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Well what else does he do? Surely watch the opposition and come up with ways to beat them, he has a forwards coach who coaches forward work, a scrummage coac who is self explanitory, a defence coach who does the defencive drills, an attack coach (i use that term loosley) who comes up with attacking moves.

All AR has to do is pick the form players surely? Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

IanBru wrote:In defence of FHF, this is the seventh poll we've had on this particular subject. Christ knows what the other nations' supporters think of us!

Does it really matter what other nations' supporters think of us? I've personally not minded, and it's been interesting to see how folks have chopped and changed as the 6N tournament has progressed

IanBru wrote:As I've always said, why would we replace Robinson when we have no real idea who should replace him? Sure, there are candidates, but there is no 'Mr X' who has had us asking "That Mr X has done wonders with Team Y. Why isn't he coaching Scotland? I'm sure he be interested." (well, apart from TJ's bezzy mate Todd Blackadder).

Appointing an international sports head coach isn't something where you can realistically canvas opinions on the alternatives - I could give you a shortlist of 3 (O'Sullivan, Kirwan, Chalmers), but am sure you could give me your own top 3. Difficult to know if they would be available and/or interested,

IanBru wrote:It's not that I have 'unwavering loyalty' to Robinson (some of his selections have been a somewhat ropey) - I'm just keen to avoid hysterically blaming the coach for the failings of the players.

Can we honestly say that the players have been let down by the coach? I don't think so.
Robinson has always said that the buck stops with him and that he should be judged on results alone - well guess what, I'm calling your cards, Mr Robinson

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

I say the same thing every poll, he's a poor coach, nice guy though, very honest, and wears his heart on his sleeve, but Scotland should only keep him if they want to play Italy every year to avoid the white wash. you are going no where with him as coach I'm sorry to say.

Your conceding an average of 27 points to Wales every time you play them, and this is Wales goodness sake! Hell, and we're up and down more often than Katie Prices knickers!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

I'm having mixed thoughts. I've never rated him highly as an international coach and he's certainly made his share of baffling selections this season but the players seem to be behind him and it's exactly as Ford said, the players lose the games, not the coach.

I hold Robinson mainly responsible for the opening loss to England, beyond that I'm really not sure. And even if Laidlaw or Weir had been at stand-off that day I don't see how anyone can claim with 100% certainty that they wouldn't have been charged down all the same.

And the important question is who replaces Robinson if he does go? Do you hunt domestically, in which case I really don't see any viable options, or do you continue looking outside Scotland?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

Knowsit,

how then do you explain today's selection e.g the same woeful front row, Lamont, Evans (both badly out of form) Barclay out of position, Cuthbert (FFS) and Jackson on the bench. This is the work of the clinically insane - step forward Messrs Robinson and Townsend !

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW mad

Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Yet again he has shown no imagination, fact!

When do you give people a chance, if you speak to most managers in any walk of life it is always difficult. Mr AR is not wanting to change, he thinks the team he has got can win WHY?

Whoever is to blame, manager, coaches players who knows but at this time AR backside must be twitching.

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

Unbelievable that 25% want this dick to stay ! Shocked mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

Hence the value of.polls. i rest my case

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

The crazy thing is that the SRU simply will not fire him and Robinson is too stubborn/ arrogant/ desperate to turn in his cards.

I think we could endure the longest losing streak in 6 nations history before he goes or is taken out.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:51 pm

Don't worry guys, progress is being made, and Morrison says "we can beat most sides in the world".

I buy it. I think we're awesome. Most passes, most line breaks, come on guys, what more do you want??? Wins???

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by CaleyShaun Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm

I am getting very annoyed when he doesn't answer the media properly when asked about his future?

When asked on STV News tonight about his position, his reply was "i am contracted until 2015, my main focus is on Italy", now does that mean he's contemplating resigning because surely if he was confident of staying he would have said "i have the backing of the SRU" or "I won't walk away".

CaleyShaun

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

Rumours from a friend of a friend down in the west country that his brother (Phil?) told another friend that he'd be back at Bath next season - too distant to hope, but there's no smoke without fire

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:38 am

Tom English calls it spot on in the Hootsman this morning:

‘Scotland’s loss in Dublin has set Robinson back a distance’

By TOM ENGLISH

If IT needed any confirmation then Scotland’s plight in tournament play under Andy Robinson has shown just how irrelevant summer tours and autumn internationals are in the assessment of where a team is at.

Robinson’s side have been decent in the summer, winning a Test series in Argentina in 2010, and they’ve been good in the autumn, beating both Australia and South Africa since the Englishman took control. For a long time, we held on to these victories like they actually meant something, like they were a sign of an improving side that was ready to achieve in the championships that mattered, only they weren’t. They were meaningless.

They would only have had true significance had they been built on with respectable performances in the Six Nations and, eventually, the World Cup. This hasn’t happened. Robinson has been in charge for 20-something games but the ones that counted more than any other were the tournament matches and, of them, he has won four out of 18 or 22 per cent.

So let’s not kid ourselves that anything that might happen this summer or this autumn is an indicator of anything. A famous win in the southern hemisphere? Great. A hat-trick of wins later in the year? Marvellous. But the only time of the year that properly tests the mettle of a side is the spring and once again Scotland have been found badly wanting.

Scottish rugby fans are not hard to please. They are the least demanding supporters of any major nation in the world game, a group so ground down by the incessant mediocrity of what they have been forced to watch for so many years that small mercies make for big reactions. A close-run Test match leaves them contented even if the result goes against them. Some attractive rugby in a losing performance and they’re happy enough. This is the way of it. They don’t demand victories, but what they like to see is progress. It’s not a lot to ask for.

Witness the reaction after the French game at Murrayfield a few weeks back. Disappointment in defeat, yes. But the vibe around the stadium that evening was upbeat. Scotland had played well. They’d made a game of it. They’d scored some tries and caused some mayhem. People settled for that. It was a step forward, no question.

Up until last Saturday evening there was plenty to be hopeful about in Robinson’s team. Yes, they had suffered three defeats in a row in the championship and five in a row in total, but people opted to look at the big picture and the view wasn’t too bad. New players playing an exciting brand of rugby that was bringing some tries and some excitement to a place that was previously barren.

And now? The ineptitude of the performance in Dublin has come like a thunderbolt to those of us who have stopped short of calling for Robinson’s head in the wake of all these defeats. A week ago we were minded to forgive. We pointed out nuances in the coach’s record. There were so many narrow defeats and plenty of evidence that suggested that they were taking steps to turn some of those losses into victories.

It required a leap of faith to believe in Robinson’s regime and it was a leap that most people were prepared to make on the understanding that things would continue to improve. Personally, I’d have bet a lot of money that Scotland would have been bang in contention of winning in Dublin. Since the wretchedness of the Aviva, that faith is being challenged anew. The loss in Dublin has set Robinson back a distance. The goodwill of before has vanished. The coach is back to Square One. After an early exit from the World Cup and three consecutive failures in the Six Nations the case to retain him is now paper-thin. If Scotland were to lose to Italy on Saturday, then how could anybody argue that it’s worth persisting with him? At that point, Robinson, a proud man, might even have a job convincing himself that he’s the right man for the task.

Let’s be honest, even if Scotland come home from Italy with a wooden spoon, there will be some who will make a case for Robinson. It’ll be weak, but it’ll be a case and it will be based around the principles of it costing too much to terminate his contract and about the doubt that the SRU could appoint somebody else that would do a better job with this group of players.

The cost factor? It goes back to the old argument. Can they afford to sack him or can they afford not to sack him? If Scotland go zero from five in the Six Nations and zero from seven in all games you’d be looking for Robinson to do the decent thing and fall on his sword. No? What’s the alternative? Keep him in place and hope like hell that things change just like people have been hoping like hell for the last few years?

Could anybody else do a better job? Let’s see. If they lose on Saturday – and let us hope they don’t – then it’s two wins from 15 Six Nations matches. Could the SRU find somebody who might better that record? It wouldn’t be hard, would it?

There comes a time in the life of any team when things need to change, when the results refuse to come no matter the effort at the top. Robinson is trying hard, no doubt about it.

But if the SRU have a backbone then he should be perilously close to that point right now. The questions that Mark Dodson and the rest of the union need to ask themselves are these: “Is this good enough? And what are we prepared to do about it?”

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:39 am

A neutral's view from south of the Border:

Never quite cut it at the highest level for England when he played (part of the warm up act back row combinations which preceded the Hill-Back-Dallaglio main event) and, for all his honesty and hard talking, doesn't quite seem to cut it at the highest level as a coach. The Scottish cupboard may not be crammed with world class talent from 1-15 - whose is? - but you can't help but feel that under different management (eg Sir Ian McGechan?) this set of players could easily finish with a 3-2 record or possibly one better.

If I were a Scot I'd be thinking 'sorry, time's up' rather than 'goody goody, positive work in progress'.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

Look at it this way, if you get rid of Robinson, who would take over the job?

That is the big question?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:43 am

Simon, unfortunately McGeechan's last sojourn with the SRU did not go well, so its unlikely that either party would wish to take to the dance floor together again. Appreciate the outsider view, always good to check that we've not toally lost the plot! OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 8:45 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Look at it this way, if you get rid of Robinson, who would take over the job?

That is the big question?
maj, there would presumably be a number of candidates. Internally I can see folks like Bryan Redpath, Craig Chalmers, etc., being in with a shout, and externally, there are decent coaches with plenty of experience like Kirwan and O'Sullivan looking for work, and that's before we look to any of the S15 franchises (ie Blackadder, etc.)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:05 am

Is Chalmers still persona non grata at the SRU after last summers shenanigans?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

LondonTiger wrote:Is Chalmers still persona non grata at the SRU after last summers shenanigans?

It looks like all the Scottish coaches beneath the two pro teams are persona non grata, if recent events at Glasgow Warriors are anything to go by.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:20 am

Tom English,

I doff my hat to you Sir. Broken ranks with the lackeys and lickspittles of journalism at The Hootsman. Wonder what Keven Ferrie's position is at The Herald - anyone seen today's (just out of bed adn having my porridge and breakfast whisky Wink ). He was hinting yesterday that Robinson should go and that was pre the team of duds announcement. mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:21 am

Chalmers is not ready yet I don't think.

Redpath?

Kirwen?

Mallett / Lancaster ( whichever does not get the England job)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:24 am

LondonTiger wrote:Is Chalmers still persona non grata at the SRU after last summers shenanigans?
Think that was 2 summers ago, LT, at the Melrose 7s? He's being allowed back in slowly, was an assistant coach for the Scotland A side when it played England at Netherdale. I remember reading Neil Drysdale's 'Southern Comfort: A History of Borders Rugby' and being impressed how Telfer thought that Chick was his natural successor in terms of unadulterated Borders rugby passion

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:25 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Tom English,

I doff my hat to you Sir. Broken ranks with the lackeys and lickspittles of journalism at The Hootsman. Wonder what Keven Ferrie's position is at The Herald - anyone seen today's (just out of bed adn having my porridge and breakfast whisky Wink ). He was hinting yesterday that Robinson should go and that was pre the team of duds announcement. mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW
c21st, nothing this morning online, bud OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:25 am

TJ wrote:Chalmers is not ready yet I don't think.

Redpath?

Kirwen?

Mallett / Lancaster ( whichever does not get the England job)
TJ, not sure that Mallett would be interested, but I'd happily take Lancaster

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

Is it out of the realms of possibility that If AR goes Bradley who has done pretty well at Edinburgh to take over Scotland freeing up the Edinburgh head coach for Chic?

I know Bradley has his critics, especially for his team's performances in th Pro12, but despite using the Pro12 as a league he is not devoting all his time and effort to, it has been a good experience for a lot of the fringe players at Edinburgh who are becoming battle hardened in the process. Oure league position is unacceptable but it's hard to argue against the fact that the experience will steele these players for next season.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

Guys,

if you argue for Bradley then there must be a better arguement for Lineen - in terms of results on a shoestring, player development and scouting ? mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Guys,

if you argue for Bradley then there must be a better argument for Lineen - in terms of results on a shoestring, player development and scouting ? mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW
True enough, c21st, but we all know that is not going to happen

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

Yes but point worth making as it shows the absolute dimwittedness and stupidity of the SRU decision.

How about Mad Marc Lievremont - at least selection would be more consistent Whistle mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

Heard murmerings through back water sources that Lineen was being effectively freed up from Glasgow should Robinson either jump or be pushed out the window. Murmerings they may be, but no smoke without fire.

Lineen is a good coach but do I want to see Scotland play like Glasgow? Probably not, however has Lineen done enough to merrit an appointment at Scotland over someone like Bradley who has taken Edinburgh into the QF of the HC in his 1st season in charge?

I don't know and hence would not comment on such an appointment. It would be an arguement for consistancy and reliability over moments of Flair and genius.

I speak for myself when I say I have had enough of reliability being the sole point of selection for Scotland, especialy when we are consistantly rubbish!

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:42 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Yes but point worth making as it shows the absolute dimwittedness and stupidity of the SRU decision.

How about Mad Marc Lievremont - at least selection would be more consistent Whistle mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:46 am

Radge Old Boy,

is your source reliable as you have my undivided attention? With resources Lineen would to a very good job. Your intelligence does not explain Lineen's body language at the press conference on Monday though ? mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:48 am

Get Kirwan involved. He's class and will be an AB coach one day. Do you want a future AB coach or a wash up failure from England?

You've got some class backs and a great back row, do yourselves a favour!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:51 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Radge Old Boy,

is your source reliable as you have my undivided attention? With resources Lineen would to a very good job. Your intelligence does not explain Lineen's body language at the press conference on Monday though ? mad

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW

I wouldn't bet my house on them mate. To be honest I wouldn't put a fiver on it. As you rightly pointed out Lineen's body language suggested he is not privy to this plan if it exists at all.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Tom English,

ROBINSON MUST GO -NOW
c21st, nothing this morning online, bud OK
I tell a lie, its out now:

Just when new regime had started to generate some goodwill . . .

by Kevin Ferrie, Senior Sports Writer

As John Beattie and I walked into Dublin on Saturday morning after I had guested on his radio show, there was time for slightly less guarded rugby chat than we had just enjoyed on air.

We covered a fair range of topics, among them the future of Glasgow Warriors, the job being done by Sean Lineen, their head coach, and the very different challenge that lies ahead for him now that he had at last been given the resources to have a real chance of competing with Europe's big boys, the corollary being the additional pressure that brings.

Lineen has done a magnificent job at Glasgow given the Scottish Rugby Union's feeble financing of his side in past years but some coaches, we agreed, do better when asked to over-perform in such circumstances than they might when they have to deal with a larger group of "star" performers.

John knows I have worked closely with Sean in the past and I admitted that, much as I dislike having to write about time being up for any coach or player, it would be particularly difficult when his time came.

I stressed, though, that, when it had to be done, it would be. Sean and I had actually discussed this as long as six years ago when he was appointed Glasgow's head coach.

I should, then, perhaps be grateful to those who made the astonishing decision to sack him from the job long before any such moment came, while replacing him with someone who has failed in the only full-time job he has had in professional coaching.

Gratitude was not the emotion I felt, though, on discovering that this over-achieving head coach was being replaced by the man who has been Scotland "attack" coach during a period that has brought 17 tries in 19 championship matches and four in four World Cup matches, all against Romania.

Gregor Townsend even had the audacity, when asked to justify his view of his own ability, to cite as career highlights the wins over Australia and South Africa as well as the Test series win over Argentina. In those four victories, Scotland scored a combined total of one try.

This decision, allegedly made only by men about whom few in Scottish rugby know anything – since Andy Robinson is giving it the "wisnae me" routine – has drawn a public response more akin to outraged Old Firm fans than the normally douce rugby fraternity. That should tell these people something, albeit I doubt it will.

Hailed in some quarters as some sort of flawed genius, Townsend's greatest gift, it seems, is his capacity to persuade influential men of his ability. Someone who has been around the Scottish rugby scene for much longer than the current SRU regime called me on Sunday to express his bewilderment. Knowing my opinion of the respective professional and personal qualities of Lineen and Townsend, he wondered just how angry I would be.

It would be a lie to claim there was no anger, but that was no more the principal emotion than the "gratitude" I referred to earlier on realising I will never have to consider putting the boot into one of the most respected men I have encountered in Scottish rugby.

No. What we should all really be feeling today is very different. This was a new SRU regime that had generated a great deal of goodwill through the simple expedient of understanding that rugby is actually what the business is about, rather than their predecessors' fixation with number crunching.

A sequence of sound decisions and the freeing up of some purse strings had helped to generate a mood of optimism that was even surviving the experience of watching toothless Scotland make their earliest World Cup exit before a Six Nations campaign that will culminate on Saturday with an attempt to avoid a whitewash.

One shocking decision that has outdone anything conceived by the old committee or by Gordon McKie and his merry men, has completely wrecked that, as demonstrated by the public response to Lineen's removal.

The current hierarchy's lack of experience of the Scottish scene invites the conclusion that, well intended or otherwise, this decision is based on little understanding of the game in this country and even less in the way of feeling for it.

So, no, I am not grateful and, while maybe more than a wee bit angry, my main emotion this week has been sadness at the damage done and the opportunity missed after all the years of hard work by Lineen and others to keep Scottish rugby afloat through a desperately difficult era.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

I'm still not sure about whether Robbo will walk. I seriously doubt he'll be sacked. Can the SRU rip up Johnson and Taylor's contracts?

If he did go. I'd love to see Geech come in. But can someone tell me exactly why Geech and the SRU fell out?

Did Geech have the temerity to criticise some of the SRU's decisions? I can imagine as one of the most successful coaches in the world he wasnt up for some of their b*llocks.

Could a completely new broom clear the way for Geech to run the SRU?

Could we see a Lineen and a Chalmers come in under someone like Geech?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:05 pm

nick, his record in his last stint with Scotland when he took over from Telfer as Director of Rugby was simply appalling - worse still he presided over the Chainsaw Laney fiasco

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next