The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characters

+13
mr_stonelea
bedfordwelsh
formerly known as Sam
HERSH
gowales
LondonTiger
TJ1
andy powells minder
ChequeredJersey
chewed_mintie
Cowshot
Looseheaded
kiakahaaotearoa
17 posters

Go down

Characters Empty Characters

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:59 pm

In the professional era, players don't want to give the opposition ammunition by saying something that could be taken the wrong way or something that is controversial. That´s not to say it doesn't happen and fans and players alike are quick to point out anything remotely controversial for motivational purposes. I read a thread where some Welsh posters were up in arms against the claims that the English pack had taken apart the Welsh pack. One never knows how much these comments are creative editing or how much they are taken out of context. But the general effect on post-match interviews is that we are served up a diet of bland, tired set of clichés that is about as revealing as a 1950s Playboy magazine.

When talking about favourite players, it surprises me how few times Carter comes up, for example, on Kiwi posters´lists. As a player, he is incomparable, but as a personality he is as wet as a fish. Let´s face it, you wouldn't want to have a beer with him unless you were a woman and wanted to stare at him without the need to make conversation. Andrew Merthens, on the other hand, now there was a character. Ok, as a player he wasn't as complete as Carter but he certainly had some impressive strengths. Often these are overlooked because of his glaring deficiencies, notably his defence. But the guy was a journo´s dream as he was entertaining and amusing with a dry sense of humour.

We look at rugby pundits nowadays. Take Brian Moore or Murray Mexted. Now you can call these people bad commentators and particularly with repsect to the latter, you´d certainly be right. But bless him, Brian is not exactly a model of professionalism with the mic being turned off or him slipping out a Jesus, don´t kick it man or some inappropriate comment. But we forgive him because the man wears his heart on his sleeve. You can tell the passion he has for the game and how much the English jersey still means to him. Murray is a clown but he could come up with some insightful comments that other commentators might not pick up on. Of course to get to that rare insight, you had to sit through some unfortunate comments like if you watch in slow motion, the ball appears to be coming out slower or words to that effect.

My point is, are there any real characters in the game? Has the professional era coached out these players with a sense of humour? Generally if someone makes a comment that attracts attention, it is invariably negative or outrageously offensive like the Samoan player in the World Cup. Ali Williams is the only player I can think of for the ABs who is eccentric and to be perfectly honest, his brand of humour is not my cup of tea. But I at least respect the guy for being himself and saying what he means. Are you able to think of a current player who speaks his mind or shows his true character? And do you think this is an inevitable part of rugby being professional or do you think there is still a place for characters of the game in the modern era?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Characters Empty Re: Characters

Post by Looseheaded Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 am

Donncha O'Callaghan
Andy Powell
Euan Murray
Nathan Hines
Brendan Ventner

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:10 am

Have to thank the SH for Murray Mexted. Can't remember which WC I first heard him commentate, but I have never laughed so much during a rugby game. Just couldn't believe some of the stuff he came out with. Laugh

Up here, especially during a 6Ns, coming out with something controversial is generally seen as handing the opposition their pre-match motivational talk, so it's becoming part of the pro era preparation NOT to hand your opponents a possible psychological edge. Brian Moore is the last I can think of who was deliberately sent out the week before the game to goad the French into a frothing, penalty giving mess. Ah, those were the days! Ale

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:11 am

Ali is a character and I like his humour. He and McCaw were interviewed by Andy Gray and Richard Keys on Talksport just before Xmas as they were over here doing some promotional work for Adidas - Ali was hillarious and I think Keys/Gray did not expect a professional sportsman to be as relaxed and forthright but also incredibly sharp and funny in an interview. Especially compared to the typical mundane football interviewee. I think they were only supposed to be on for 15 mins but stayed for about 45 in the end

I recall reading that Marc Ellis and Andrew Merhtens were dressed up in full army camouflage on the morning of the 95 WC QF v Scotland diving into rooms prentending to be the SAS. Those two were certainly characters.

After he went to League, I was at a NZ league age group academy and him, Matthew Ridge and Gene Ngamu all had to take about 20 of us through the art of kicking. Ngamu taught us about the drop punt and using your other foot; Ridge showed us the proper way to place kick and convinced everyone you only needed one step to kick from anywhere under 40 m (and he proved it). Ellis just bet us all to see who could kick over from the sideline first, then regaled us with more stories which had us cracking up....he’s just a chilled out funny guy

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am

I really liked Harry Ellis, chirpy little bugger that he was
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 am

Hmmm......howsabout a certain A. Healey, topical if nothing else.......... Run

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 am

Chunk ( Alan Jacobsen)

Adam Jones - incomparable

I suspect Duncan Weir may turn into a real character

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 am

Gavin Henson

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 am

Healey says plenty of things deliberately controversial. Winds people up no end. The alternative is Sonia Maclaughlin

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 am

Got to agree with Loosehead those guys are legends. Especially Powelly

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:10 am

Stephen Ferris is an absolute hoot, although he does have a bit of a mouth on him!

I hope it doesn’t comeback to bite him someday!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 am

Austin does crack me up, such a wind up merchant and his pub style argument commentary with Ben Kay makes ESPN my favoured viewing platform.

+1 for Harry Ellis, nice guy and very tolerant considering me and my friend met him whilst we were both legless and probably not making all the sense we thought we were.

Castro is a funny guy and I bet it would be worth having a beer with the Brand.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 am

Donncha O'Callaghan and Andy Powell are two that really strike me as guys who are great on tour and if you have seen the Lions dvd then I guess they are.

Never met him but from people who have Adam Jones seems bit of a character as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 am

Didn't Donnacha O Callaghan rescue a pet lobster from a restuarant and keep it as a pet, taking it for walks on a lead...and called it Mr Pinchy? Or did I dream that?

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 am

"Castro is a funny guy and I bet it would be worth having a beer with the Brand"

It's easy to have a beer with Castro - just go to his restaurant in Market Harborough

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am

Adam Jones - interviewed after scoring a typical props try - 2 m run and fall over the line

"So talk us thru your try Adam"

"Well I got the ball 30 m out, sidestepped the winger, dummied the fullback and outpaced the cover to the line"

On another occasion post match interview he was sipping from a cup of tea with his pinky sticking out - not even a mug of tea but a cup and saucer

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 am

Just because you are a "character" doesn't mean that you have character.

Wink

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 am

My old rugby coach in college was a character. 6'5 former 2nd row with a recontsructed shoulder, ginger hair and famous Welsh surname (Llewelyn). Always used big words (he introduced me to 'camaraderie') in a dodgy accent (due to being from Cardiff and then spending 4 years in Exeter). Famous for his usual quotes before each game 'Let's play rugby in their half' and 'Let's play.... field position'. He always had big packs at his disposal, the college being fed by some Gwent valleys.

I'm going to go for a few Ospreys, the only team I've been up close and personal with. Duncan Jones was the most inspiring character, and a really nice guy. So was Jonothan Thomas. Hibbard is one of the funny men. The rest, hmmmm no, not at all. They seem really blank and a few seemed arrogant. Ryan Jones was okay, seemed really nervous when he said alright to me though. Hanno's hairstyle was twice as horrifying as it is on the TV.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 am

Ah Tri I LOVE that film.

I kinda like the Aussie commentators for being characters. Sure, they're biased but so is everyone. I like that they can have a laugh and prove that you can have a lot of fun doing the job. I loved Mexted too just for whatever he'd spout. He's a pretty smart guy and people would respect him a lot more if he was more serious but it's too bland for him, he didn't give a monkeys and enjoyed himself. Like when the ABs racked up their 69th point against whomever and he said "Ooh 69. My favourite number. Don't you like that number too Tony?" Ah juvenile but hilarious. Check out Navjot Sidhu on cricket too.

I'd like to have a beer with Dan Carter because he doesn't reveal anything in interviews-be nice to hear him talk candidly. I should have talked to him when he was at my table but he hadn't made the ABs yet! So boring but you can tell his mind is working overtime to not give the game away.

Loved Marc Ellis he could've been a stand up comedian. So funny. There's a clip of him just hammered on NZ's Sports Cafe. Ric Salizzo asking him a couple of questions in English and he replies in Braille.

As far as the PC culture goes, I hate it. Some idiots always take things the wrong way and the media always makes the most out of every opportunity they get to s*** stir. I can understand why Carter just gives the same old bland answers. I love telling non-PC jokes and saying the odd naughty one-liner. I'd hate to be famous as I'd be a walking headline followed by clips of humourless prudes calling me a terrible person. It's the same with pro sportsmen and I feel sorry for them. They are role models, don't get me wrong. But they are role models ONLY FOR THE WAY IN WHICH THEY PLAY THEIR SPORT. I want to offload like Sonny Bill Williams. I don't want to get busted ******* some woman in a toilet like Sonny Bill Williams. Just like I want to play guitar like Kurt Cobain. I don't want to get addicted to heroin like Kurt Cobain and blow my head off.

Rant over. Sorry to get sidetracked but I hope it was vaguely relevant.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 am

I always loved Mexted's commentary. Some people were just too thick or too thin skinned to understand his humour..

Eric Rush is a funny guy. He's become a bit of a professional on the talk circuit using his cuzzy bro humour. He was pretty good at a Maori rugby function thingy I went to during the World Cup
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Eric Rush once responded to sheep sounds in a talk in Sydney with the kangaroo is the only animal in the animal kingdom that boxes. That has to be for a very good reason. He told Glen Osborne with the sevens team that he needed a passport to travel to the South Island and Ozzy was packing himself when he arrived at Chch because he didn't have his. Classic bloke.

I´m not saying there are no characters in sport. I saw a great vid of three ABs in Ireland (Jerome Kaino stands out as he looked a laugh) on a night out. I think you were there Disney.

I have to disagree with you though that sadly as a professional athlete with a well known profile, your public profile goes beyond your time on the field. Zac Guilford is not a good example to kids and Corey Jane and Izzy Dagg to a lesser extent didn´t think about their actions. People don´t distinguish between the player and the person off the field. A role model is in the name not the sport. I was listening to a triathlete podcast a friend does who had Erin Baker on as a guest. She was not a fan of Jesse Ryder for example. He is not a role model for young boys I´m sorry to say. Regardless of his exploits on the cricket pitch and sadly that hasn´t been much. Is that fair? I take it you don´t think so but if you earn a salary from the sport you play, you represent that sport beyond the time you play the sport. Same thing applies if a politician tweets or posts on facebook something racist or sexist or whatever. That´s a personal profile but you are judged as a person in public office. It doesn´t matter if you say it in parliament or to a friend in private and it gets overheard.

But then I don´t think saying something jokingly is in the same context as the examples you gave. It irks me though that if people are seen to be joking then they are seen as arrogant and disrespecting the opposition. I am not a fan of Austin Healey for example and his comments before the 3rd Lions test in Australia were used as motivating fuel for the Aussie forwards after they were described as rubbish. Part of me respects him though for making those comments because I think there is a lot of hypocrisy when players speak because none of them say what they really mean or would like to say.

So the opposition scored two early tries. There must have been a few choice words said out there on the pitch.

Yeah definitely. (If you were to play a drinking game and had the word definitely to drink every time you hear it, clear out your schedule for the next week because you won't be much use!). They played really well and probably wanted it more. But we put our heads down and never lost belief and we just plugged away and were lucky enough to come away with the win in the end.

It´s like they´re pressing play on an audio tape they´ve heard covering every scenario and it´s all the same glib, worn out expressions that don´t mean anything.

Problem is the media are trawling so desperately for a story that any untoward behaviour is jumped on and manipulated into a newsworthy story. I don´t think there are any fewer characters in the game now, it´s just that we don´t get to see them because of this media training and turning people into regurgitating penguins offering up choice morsels from before.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

It's easy to have a beer with Castro - just go to his restaurant in Market Harborough

Or just walk around Leicester, the missus met him and Ayerza in the city centre and completely failed to recognise Ayerza because of his lack of scrum cap. Luckily Marcos didn't mind being asked to take a picture of her and Castro. She's never lived it down.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:02 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Eric Rush once responded to sheep sounds in a talk in Sydney with the kangaroo is the only animal in the animal kingdom that boxes. That has to be for a very good reason. He told Glen Osborne with the sevens team that he needed a passport to travel to the South Island and Ozzy was packing himself when he arrived at Chch because he didn't have his. Classic bloke.

I´m not saying there are no characters in sport. I saw a great vid of three ABs in Ireland (Jerome Kaino stands out as he looked a laugh) on a night out. I think you were there Disney.

I have to disagree with you though that sadly as a professional athlete with a well known profile, your public profile goes beyond your time on the field. Zac Guilford is not a good example to kids and Corey Jane and Izzy Dagg to a lesser extent didn´t think about their actions. People don´t distinguish between the player and the person off the field. A role model is in the name not the sport. I was listening to a triathlete podcast a friend does who had Erin Baker on as a guest. She was not a fan of Jesse Ryder for example. He is not a role model for young boys I´m sorry to say. Regardless of his exploits on the cricket pitch and sadly that hasn´t been much. Is that fair? I take it you don´t think so but if you earn a salary from the sport you play, you represent that sport beyond the time you play the sport. Same thing applies if a politician tweets or posts on facebook something racist or sexist or whatever. That´s a personal profile but you are judged as a person in public office. It doesn´t matter if you say it in parliament or to a friend in private and it gets overheard.

But then I don´t think saying something jokingly is in the same context as the examples you gave. It irks me though that if people are seen to be joking then they are seen as arrogant and disrespecting the opposition. I am not a fan of Austin Healey for example and his comments before the 3rd Lions test in Australia were used as motivating fuel for the Aussie forwards after they were described as rubbish. Part of me respects him though for making those comments because I think there is a lot of hypocrisy when players speak because none of them say what they really mean or would like to say.

So the opposition scored two early tries. There must have been a few choice words said out there on the pitch.

Yeah definitely. (If you were to play a drinking game and had the word definitely to drink every time you hear it, clear out your schedule for the next week because you won't be much use!). They played really well and probably wanted it more. But we put our heads down and never lost belief and we just plugged away and were lucky enough to come away with the win in the end.

It´s like they´re pressing play on an audio tape they´ve heard covering every scenario and it´s all the same glib, worn out expressions that don´t mean anything.

Problem is the media are trawling so desperately for a story that any untoward behaviour is jumped on and manipulated into a newsworthy story. I don´t think there are any fewer characters in the game now, it´s just that we don´t get to see them because of this media training and turning people into regurgitating penguins offering up choice morsels from before.

+1

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down