The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Jones

+8
Coleman
Taffineastbourne
Shane_Williams
Cardiff Taffy
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
doctornickolas
mckay1402
12 posters

Go down

Ryan Jones Empty Ryan Jones

Post by mckay1402 Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Really pleased for the boy. He spent a few years since 2008 in the performance wilderness but this season he has been superb. Making ground, causing turnovers and generally being inn the right place at the right time. always confess across add a really nice chap too.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Ryan Jones Empty Re: Ryan Jones

Post by doctornickolas Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Lydiate had been awesome every game but I would pick Ryan as my man of the tournament.

He played 2nd row, 8, 6 and 7 at times in this tournament and did well in each.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Over the past few seasons I have been one of his biggest critics but fair play to him he has proved me wrong this season.

He seems to relish the role he has within the Welsh squad at the moment and seems the elder statesman.

he has been very good off the bench and in the game when super dan didn't play.

I also liked in the interview that he deflected praise away from himself onto the whole squad.

Well done Ryan.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Made a brilliant impact today, went a long way in helping Wales stay in touch.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Really turned the clock back this tournament and I'm delighted for him. I think he's one of the best captains Wales has ever had and really hope he makes the Lions. Competition willl be tough though.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:45 pm

has had to change his style of play as he has lost speed but he is a great leader and gives his all, hats off.

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Has developed his niche in this Wales squad.He has an impact that Jonathon Thomas always lacked.He is a crucial part of the jigsaw and should be valued.Not worthy of a start(just!) but one hell of a useful player off the bench.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 pm

I love Jughead, but he needs more dynamism when carrying, as he's too upright

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 am

Slowly... Building him self up as one of the best Welsh players of all time. Does grunt work, carries when needed, dictates tempo, he'd play at prop for Wales if asked. He just wants to wear the red, does well with the skill set he has and hes the perfect public speaker. Love the guy.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 am

Was at the game today (so probably got some better observations than the cameras)

Ryan Jones was superb - better than Warburton in the second half, and equally Lydiate's second half performance.

Probably my player of the tournement (pity he didn't get MOTM against Ireland so isnt in the running), just edging out Halfpenny and Lydiate.

He was everywhere this afternoon - and the game may have been a lot closer without his work.

Deserves to be in the starting 15, just a pity we have such a good 6 in his way!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:34 am

Ryan Jones had an immense 2nd half. He's had a superb tournament, just, what a guy, a great credit to Welsh rugby clap

Fantastic option for us to have on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I got laughed at a few days ago for suggesting that it was Wales bench that was their main strength. They have a very good starting 15 but when you have players of the calibre of Ryan Jones on the bench then you are always going to be e very good team.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:28 pm

agree Billy. For the last few seasons, our bench has been our weak spot, since the world cup though, we've managed to develop enough players where it's a real real strenght.

I also like that gats never really uses it unless it's for injuries. As a bench should be really.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Its just that Wales basically lose nothing in their substitutions from the bench. That to me makes an excellent side.

Slightly off topic but just how good was Dan Lydiate yesterday, he was everywhere and simply outstanding.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Epic is the word I would use, and I don't use it lightly!

Just, he's always been a really great and solid player but he was just a step up yesterday, some of the tackles he put in were just...tehre are no words. And he was everyhwere. Amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:44 pm

eirebilly wrote:I got laughed at a few days ago for suggesting that it was Wales bench that was their main strength. They have a very good starting 15 but when you have players of the calibre of Ryan Jones on the bench then you are always going to be e very good team.

Very good forwards on the bench who can make a difference - not so sure about the backs at the moment (hence our backline staying the same in all 5 games and the bench rarely being used)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 pm

He was everywhere yesterday dreamer. One of the best individual performances of the tournement.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm

you say that Wales606, but Hook, Scott and Lloyd all slotted in so easily when they had to, twas seamless really. same with our forwards. Think we finally have a squad where it doesn't erally seem to matter who starts or who's on the bench. They all just play as one unit, and our subs don't seem to disrupt us anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:50 pm

What she said Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:you say that Wales606, but Hook, Scott and Lloyd all slotted in so easily when they had to, twas seamless really. same with our forwards. Think we finally have a squad where it doesn't erally seem to matter who starts or who's on the bench. They all just play as one unit, and our subs don't seem to disrupt us anymore.

But I wouldn't trust Hook coming on at 10, Lloyd is good, but Gats kept Phillips on for 80 for most games (apart from France where he was shockingly poor) and what would we do if a winger got injured? - Hook isn't a FB and we have no wing/fullback cover other than Byrne who hasn't played for ages and Li.Williams who has never played.

Having Ryan Jones and AWJ on the bench in the summer will be awesome (assuming Evans and Charteris start) - Not to mention Tipuric. Bennett, Owens and Rees will be really fighting over that 2 shirt (Rees was poor yesterday - it should be Owens to lose, he was good off the bench)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm

sure Hook would come on at FB and 1/2p would move to wing. Liam Williams is also wing/FB cover, and is having an excellent season.

Hook at 10 though I agree, I wouldn't trust, let's hope he keeps improving out in france. He will be the Wales 10 on the summer tour though I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Too upright and slow to be a major ball carrier. His strengths are carrying around the fringes and his work at the breakdown. Although I really miss the Ryan Jones of 05 he is still a great player.

Also why are people back to bitching about Philips?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Agree with the theme of this thread. Ryan Jones went through a lengthy slump and his game always suffered when he was burdened with the captaincy - but he has been fantastic in this 6N when called on.

He remains bizarrely fast in a straight line and although he lacks power in contact, compared to top back rowers, he has learned to play to his strengths and his work rate is phenomenal.

On current form a Warburton, Jones, Lydiate back row looks a pretty formidable starting line up?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 pm

how could you drop Faletau though? he was brilliant also yesterday. Ryan is a fantastic bench option to have, think that's what's working for us right now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Warburton, Lydiate, Faletau, Jones, Tipuric, that Llanelli fella, Powell(!)

is a nice selection choice to have.

Ryan has maybe two or three seasons left? In current form I think there's a case to make the most of him and play him as much as possible. Faletau is a tremendous footballer and Lydiate is becoming a defensive machine, but they are still young and would benefit from a selection rotation with Ryan to keep them on their toes as much as anything.

Warburton is on a different planet when he's fit. Genuine monster talent.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down