The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Tait - England's missing player

+8
Sgt_Pooly
Driver
EnglishReign
trebellbobaggins
gregortree
SimonofSurrey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
chief_weasel
12 posters

Go down

Matthew Tait - England's missing player Empty Matthew Tait - England's missing player

Post by chief_weasel Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Seeing Keith Early making those breaks today reminded me of Tait's breaks back in 2007! Beating men for fun from a standing start. If this England team lack anything its the magic spark to detonate the back line!

Leicester fans..... is he ever going to be the player we all know he can be? Or is he another Tom Rees Sad

chief_weasel

Back to top Go down

Matthew Tait - England's missing player Empty Re: Matthew Tait - England's missing player

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Hes still not fit.
Given Tigers recent smart business in selling of knackered old nags it was quite a surprise when they bought him of a guy in the back of the pub with nothing more than a "sold as seen" garuantee but there you go.

I suspect his days with England are long shot now even if he can come back. he was signed for Tigers as much as wing/fullback utility cover as a center.
Assuming the current set up stays its pretty clear England are set on a pretty simple game plan and are quite happy to lack that bit of magic in the centers.

There are also younger and potentially better players coming through who dont carry his injury record.

He may be more of a JSD than a Rees, but I do think the ship has probably sailed on him.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Matthew Tait - England's missing player Empty Re: Matthew Tait - England's missing player

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Blimey - I'd forgotten all about him! I like the idea of him and Manu in the centre for England: sledgehammer and scalpel.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:26 pm

I wish Manu & Barritt would pass. Not sure either winger received a good pass today, or all 6N for that matter.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Too many good U20's now. I think he's done sadly.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 pm

He made one good break in the 07 final, that's all I remember. There are better centre options now, if you're looking for flair.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by chief_weasel Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Was thinking more of a bench option than starter. Covers 13 11 14 15!! We definetly need options as has been mentioned are wingers are learning how to defend and Chase licks but not much else.

chief_weasel

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 pm

The main thing which will end his international career is Johnny May.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am

Driver - RIP 606 wrote:The main thing which will end his international career is Johnny May.

Well I'm a huge fan of Jonny May, obviously, but I struggle to see where he'll fit in. With Foden and Brown at fullback, competition at centre and an obsession with playing Ashton on the wing, he may struggle to make the side for a while.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 am

I think May will be brought in on the wing although with Farrell at FH I doubt he'll ever see much of the ball.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 am

EnglishReign wrote: and an obsession with playing Ashton on the wing, he may struggle to make the side for a while.

I don't think it's an 'obsession' - he may be playing well below his past standards but the team have not helped either winger. I can't remember one incidence of either winger being put clear (maybe the non try by Strettle). Ashton has been one of England's best players over the past 18 months so i think he deserves to be stuck with for a while. And there doesn't seem to be anyone pushing hard to replace him. Strettle has been very quiet (again not all his fault) and I'm not convinced by Sharples, yes he's quick but does he have the footwork to make it at test level?

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Driver - RIP 606 wrote:The main thing which will end his international career is Johnny May.

May & Joseph.

May's future lies on the wing, he's better there than at FB. Incredible pace, nice lines and good footwork. I'd happily start him there at 11 in SA, having blooded him in the Barbarians match just before they leave on tour.

Joseph is the more similar option to Tait and I want to see him take up the 22 shirt for the time being. He's a great impact player (just as dangerous on the wing as his preferred centre spot), with real intelligence and ability to pull defences about, find the line break and beat defenders. He provides a nice alternative and change of tack in the midfield approach to step up a game.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:46 pm

niwatts wrote:

May & Joseph.

May's future lies on the wing, he's better there than at FB. Incredible pace, nice lines and good footwork. I'd happily start him there at 11 in SA, having blooded him in the Barbarians match just before they leave on tour.

Joseph is the more similar option to Tait and I want to see him take up the 22 shirt for the time being. He's a great impact player (just as dangerous on the wing as his preferred centre spot), with real intelligence and ability to pull defences about, find the line break and beat defenders. He provides a nice alternative and change of tack in the midfield approach to step up a game.

I think both need to be given a shot. I'm slightly concerned that with the way the game is going, May in particular may be a little small. Mind you he's lightning quick so...

Joseph looks, potentially, like a fantastic player.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Hood83 wrote:I'm slightly concerned that with the way the game is going, May in particular may be a little small. Mind you he's lightning quick so...

I don't see that, he's the same size or bigger than most of the other candidates:

May - 6'1", 14st 2lb
Foden - 6'0", 14st 4lb
Ashton - 6'0", 14st 6lb
Sharples - 6'0", 14st 8lb
JSD - 6'0", 14st 6lb
Strettle - 6'0", 13st 7lb
Short - 6'0", 13st 5lb
Wade - 5'8", 13st 7lb
Brown - 6'0", 14st 0lb
Monye - 6'2", 14st 6lb
Ojo - 6'0", 14st 0lb
Yarde - 6'0", 14st 6lb

The only guys who are noticably bigger are Benjamin and Banahan.

Got all the stats from the Aviva Premiership official website by the way.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Don't forget Monye hes massive! But yeah May is fairly average sized for an international back, he does seem to have a knack of slipping out of tackles though which is good.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:14 pm

gowales wrote:Don't forget Monye hes massive!

I didn't forget him, he's in the list. He's not massive, 6'2" & 14st 6lb.

If England want a beefy wing, the way to go is Benjamin, 6'0" & 16lb 2lb, rapid, powerful and soon to be plying his trade at Tigers.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm

niwatts wrote:
Hood83 wrote:I'm slightly concerned that with the way the game is going, May in particular may be a little small. Mind you he's lightning quick so...

I don't see that, he's the same size or bigger than most of the other candidates:

May - 6'1", 14st 2lb
Foden - 6'0", 14st 4lb
Ashton - 6'0", 14st 6lb
Sharples - 6'0", 14st 8lb
JSD - 6'0", 14st 6lb
Strettle - 6'0", 13st 7lb
Short - 6'0", 13st 5lb
Wade - 5'8", 13st 7lb
Brown - 6'0", 14st 0lb
Monye - 6'2", 14st 6lb
Ojo - 6'0", 14st 0lb
Yarde - 6'0", 14st 6lb

The only guys who are noticably bigger are Benjamin and Banahan.

Got all the stats from the Aviva Premiership official website by the way.

I meant more the wingers other teams are putting out. But as for our guys, yeah fair point.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

niwatts wrote:

If England want a beefy wing, the way to go is Benjamin, 6'0" & 16lb 2lb, rapid, powerful and soon to be plying his trade at Tigers.

You haven't watched the Lions DVD then

Last edited by gowales on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Looking again i don't think those stats are right niwatts. Short is a LOT heavier than that. And i don't think Benjamin is that much bigger than Monye!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Hood83 wrote:Looking again i don't think those stats are right niwatts. Short is a LOT heavier than that. And i don't think Benjamin is that much bigger than Monye!

The AP site corresponds to the club sites and by and large to the ESPN site and Wikipedia, as well as the RFU player profiles where appropriate.

I've just checked Monye on all of them and he's not listed as above 14st 7lb. Benjamin's appears as between 16st 2lb & 16st 10lb.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 pm

gowales wrote:
niwatts wrote:

You haven't watched the Lions DVD then

No, you're right, I just watched all the matches live.

People's perceptions are more than often wrong, weights and measures are what they are.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Banahan?

Yeah I guess we will have to live with sub 15 stone wingers for now

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down