The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Macklin result

+10
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
azania
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Imperial Ghosty
BoxingFan88
tcribb
Sugar Floyd Louis
sparky marky
Seanusarrilius
14 posters

Go down

Martinez vs  Macklin result Empty Martinez vs Macklin result

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 am

Really good performance by Macklin tonight. He had his gameplan set, didn't come forward all night like against Strum and actually countered Martinez in early rounds. That being said, Martinez had the stamina to see him through and Macklin was obviously expending a lot of energy in working so well the first 8 rounds. From 9 onwards Martinez took over and looked good, but he has primed i think and this drop in performance the last couple fights might land him the fight he want with Chavez. Mackling was right in it up untilt he last few.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs  Macklin result Empty Re: Martinez vs Macklin result

Post by sparky marky Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 am

Excellent performance from Macklin. Just came up short again, but by no means disgraced. Martinez really does have a powerful left hand. Glad i sat up all night zzzzzzzzzzz

sparky marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 am

Just watched it now, Macklin done well, but Martinez is just too much.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am

Like Jay Z, just watched it and share his sentiments, Macklin was in the fight at stages, but you just felt Martinez could step it up at any stage and I'm afraid that's what happened, it will take good contender to take Sergios crown.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 am

tcribb... Mayweather v Martinez, I fancy Floyd. Macklin landed abit too much imo.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 am

Difficult one Jay isn't it ? it would be a chess match wouldn't it, Just because of size I'd prob slightly edge Martinez but with no conviction whatsoever, Floyd just keeps surprising me how easy he makes fights.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:48 pm

It was a fantastic effort by Macklin and he fought far far better than I thought he could, apparently HBO spent the entire broadcast hating on Martinez and calling him over rated.

I got the sense that Martinez was just drifting in the fight and turned it up when ever he needed to. Whether that was due to Macklin or not I'm not sure, but a lot of the time he just moved round in circles around the ring. When he turns up the heat he is a different class to anyone in the middleweight division, but that was not evident for most of last nights fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:15 pm

If my maths is right the scorecards were a split in favour of Martinez by one point before the 11th round, never thought the fight would be that close, haven't seen it yet but is it a fair reflection of the fight?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:19 pm

2 cards had Martinez 4points up, the other had it even.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:It was a fantastic effort by Macklin and he fought far far better than I thought he could, apparently HBO spent the entire broadcast hating on Martinez and calling him over rated.

I got the sense that Martinez was just drifting in the fight and turned it up when ever he needed to. Whether that was due to Macklin or not I'm not sure, but a lot of the time he just moved round in circles around the ring. When he turns up the heat he is a different class to anyone in the middleweight division, but that was not evident for most of last nights fight.

It could well be that the Williams KO flattered Martinez somewhat and he isn't as good as some think he is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Great effort by Macklin, used his jab very well. Buddy McGirt did the right thing pulling him out as well, he didn't have the same snap in his punches and he could have got seriously hurt in that last round as he had become a standing punch bag.

Did anyone see the heavyweight fight on the undercard? Ref was a disgrace letting the fight go for as long as he did and he should be reprimanded.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:If my maths is right the scorecards were a split in favour of Martinez by one point before the 11th round, never thought the fight would be that close, haven't seen it yet but is it a fair reflection of the fight?

I had it like the 2 who had Martinez ahead. He just doesn't throw enough. It's all good dancing about slipping shots, but apart from his jab which he was flapping with at times, he didn't do much. He doesn't really throw combinations untill the latter half of the fight (just like barker). He has fast hands and good reflexes but is a bit too defensive imo. He gets in and out very quickly but with a smart opponent with a good defence i.e, not Williams and pavlik, he doesn't look quite as formidable.

If Macklin was as quick or almost as quick as Sergio then Macklin would have given him all sorts of problems. It seemed the only thing he was lacking yesterday, couldn't quite get his shots off in time

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:2 cards had Martinez 4points up, the other had it even.

That was after the crucial 11th round which was a 10-7 round.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm

I had it 1 round to Martinez going into the 11th, great performance by Macklin but in the end the speed of Martinez was too much. If Macklin was slightly quicker with his jab then he might have caused a few problems but he did show a bit too much respect to Martinez.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Did anyone agree with the knockdown? Personally I thought it was a very bad call, it was a blatant tangle of legs. Sergio seems extremely angry after it and really turned on the heat from then on. Many people probably think Sergio is beatable after that performance, he is, but not by anyone currently in the middleweight division except for maybe golovkin...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 pm

i agree it was a tangle of legs too BoxingFann88 but correctly scored a knockdown. Martinez got hit and went to the floor, he is prone to these kind of knockdowns, as with Pavlik fight. Was a footwork thing, but still a knockdown. does anyone believe Dirrell could have knocked down prime Abraham if he wasn't off balance like that, no, but still a knockdown.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Hmm yeah good point, the first williams knockdown hit him on the back of the shoulder.... Balance thing more than anything.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:2 cards had Martinez 4points up, the other had it even.

That was after the crucial 11th round which was a 10-7 round.

True.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoomBoomBaby Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi All,

First time poster here. Great website by the way. Big hello to you all.

SO on the match in question...I'm not a expert in boxing but I'm a big fan. Martinez imo took his time with Macklin today and picked him off at will when he wanted/needed to. His punches were stronger throughout the match and looked like he could really finish Macklin off whenever he wanted. Martinez was trying to put on a bit of a show I reckon. Taking nothing away from Macklin as he fought almost the right fight (bar enough punches).

p.s
I reckon Martinez beats anyone around hid weight.........

Very Happy

BoomBoomBaby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Not too sure about that BoomBoomBaby, agree that MArtinez was picking him off almost at will by the end, but Macklin really frustrated Martinez and had plenty of success and dragged him into the right type of fight at times. Agree that Martinez was much better by the end but Macklin played a large part and kept the fight very competetive until he had the dodgy knockdown scored. Great fight to be honest, was jumping up and down when Macklin and Martinez started trading like madmen at the end of the 5th, really fantastic fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 am

I never saw Macklin being able to fight like that! I'm not a fan of the crude, non jabbing style (see Macklin Sturm) although it can make for good, fun fights but that's what I was expecting. Macklin looked excellent and there's no shame in how the fight went at all.

It leaves our domestic scene bubbling again and Macklin looking like someone I'd pay to watch time and again.

Murray, Barker, Macklin (maybe Hope??) tourney anyone?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down