The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 4 matches

+8
paulcz
noleisthebest
hawkeye
sirfredperry
socal1976
Tenez
bogbrush
reckoner
12 posters

Go down

Which top 4 matchup do you prefer?

Top 4 matches Vote_lcap68%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 13 ]
Top 4 matches Vote_lcap5%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Top 4 matches Vote_lcap0%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Top 4 matches Vote_lcap5%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Top 4 matches Vote_lcap21%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]
Top 4 matches Vote_lcap0%Top 4 matches Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

Top 4 matches Empty Top 4 matches

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Just to try and get away from the endless bickering...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Top 4 matches Empty Re: Top 4 matches

Post by bogbrush Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

reckoner wrote:Just to try and get away from the endless bickering...
Good luck......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

ha, cheers for posting BB!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

Federer Nadal on clay. I would have liked to see much of it cause that was Federer's only challenge for years.

I thought the Fed djoko HC encounters were often very high quality.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:12 pm

I went for fed v. Novak. I like a little bad blood in my rivalries and it seems that out of all the top 4 match ups this one you can tell that the two guys despite playing nice for fans and the media don't like each other or their respective camps.

Also it is an interesting contrast in styles, the great server v. great returner. Great forehand v. great backhand. There seems to be a real edge in the matchup.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:15 pm

Fed v Andy M. Then whoever wins I'm glad. The ideal for me is a GS final between these two as history is bound to be made.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Thanks for your opinions... I like watching Fed vs Djokovic - they seem to bring out the best in each others games.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:26 pm

Right now, Fed vs Novak.

Their last few matches have all been high quality for the most part (both USO semi's, FO, and AUS).

I also like how Novak plays more aggressively against Roger and goes for his winners. Roger in turn tries to use his variety, especially with the BH slice.

Ultimately it becomes a battle of control of the centre of the court and the baseline. There are no obvious or predictable patterns (unlike Fed/Rafa, Rafa/Novak).

In second place would be Rafa vs Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

emancipator wrote:Right now, Fed vs Novak.

Their last few matches have all been high quality for the most part (both USO semi's, FO, and AUS).

I also like how Novak plays more aggressively against Roger and goes for his winners. Roger in turn tries to use his variety, especially with the BH slice.

Ultimately it becomes a battle of control of the centre of the court and the baseline. There are no obvious or predictable patterns (unlike Fed/Rafa, Rafa/Novak).

In second place would be Rafa vs Murray.

This is the one I've least seen - they seem to play each other so rarely!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:31 pm

Yes it would be interesting to see where they stand against each other now.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:38 pm

Yeah, murray and Rafa is an interesting one as well. It would be a good matchup right now as I think Andy is starting to get a feel for the need to dictate against his opponents and to force the action. In the past when these two have met, whenever Andy decides to out Nadal, Nadal he usually loses. And conversly when he is striking the ball earlier and more aggressively on the forehand and going after returns he unsettles Nadal.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

surprised by how one sided this is - surely there must be more fans of Djokovic vs Nadal or Federer vs Nadal out there?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

Federer Nadal obviously.

Many claim to prefer other matchups but none generates as much interest as this one. And rightly so.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

I dunno - it used to be way out front in terms of quality but these days I think there is better tennis to be found elsewhere... just my humble opinion

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

Nole Fed. Loved ALL their USO matches. RG last year was probably match of the decade.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm

Nole vs Fed, that is the game between tennis giants, no better matchup exists.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:43 am

Socal's https://www.606v2.com/t24651-ultimate-mythical-matchups was also a similar one, but it encompassed a larger period of Tennis history.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

Despite all the conspiricy theories about how draws are fixed to give the public what they want. A Nadal Federer match. Not very popular here. I wonder why...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

I voted for Fedal, I think it stands alone if you look at their whole careers but Fed-Djoko produced a tremendous 2011 series and was the best in 2011.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

I really don't understand how anyone can go for Fedal.

I mean are you expecting to see something new in this matchup? If you've seen one Fedal match you've seen them all. Every match is the same. Nadal plays 90% of his shots to Roger's BH and Roger is desperately trying to break that stranglehold. That's all you get. Of course it generates interest, but that's only a historical thing since Nadal was the only one who could challenge Roger.

It's a simailar story with Nodal. One brutally long rally after another until one of them caves in physically. Don't really see the fun in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

I only put down Fed-Murray cos I don't really mind who wins. The best match up still has to be Fedal. I take emancipator's points, but the match is still very much a clash of the titans. Whether it's also the one that Roger most wants to win, rather that beating Nole, I'm not sure. Certainly, a win over Rafa at the French would, arguably, be the most satisfying of Fed's career, just as Rafa, no doubt, particularly savours his victory in the epic Wimbledon 08 final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I only put down Fed-Murray cos I don't really mind who wins. The best match up still has to be Fedal. I take emancipator's points, but the match is still very much a clash of the titans. Whether it's also the one that Roger most wants to win, rather that beating Nole, I'm not sure. Certainly, a win over Rafa at the French would, arguably, be the most satisfying of Fed's career, just as Rafa, no doubt, particularly savours his victory in the epic Wimbledon 08 final.

Agree with all your points sirfred Very Happy I have gone for the Novak vs Fed option just because I enjoy watching these two players the most and their matches have usually been very competitive and harder to predict.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tennisanorak Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

Here’s my list. (This ignores the historical aspect and looks at these purely as stand-alone matches. For eg, Djoker- Murray in an FO final might be a great match, but Nadal- Federer will be a great story):

1. Fed- Djoker: Simply the best matches among two attacking players.
2. Fed- Murray: The most creative among the top 4. Very stylish points.
3. Djoker- Murray: The “unknown” match-up. Fun and unpredictable.
4. Murray- Nadal: Great defensive skills from both, with rallies not as long as Nadal- Djoker
5. Djoker- Nadal: They used to play the most amazing matches, till the results started becoming predictable and the rallies started becoming more and more physical and defensive. If Nadal can strike back, this is a compelling rivalry
6. Federer- Nadal: Little to offer and usually very predictable. The same repetitive patterns (Nadal forehand to Federer backhand) again and again. The worst match up among all these 6 matches, a bit like Del Potro- Federer which is not fun to watch because the Federer game matches up so well with Del Potro’s. The only reason this is talked about is because Federer and Nadal are both greats.

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

I dunno, I watched the Murray vs Djokovic AO SF and didn't find it interesting at all, passages of very poor play IMO. I reckon Murray v Nadal will be really interesting in Miami (they are on the same side of the draw I think?)

I agree vis-a-vis Fed vs Murray - some of the points are amazing!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down