The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southern League - Week 2 - Voting

+2
GG
Marsh
6 posters

Go down

Southern League - Week 2 - Voting Empty Southern League - Week 2 - Voting

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:10 pm

Sussex vs. Hampshire - Hampshire win the toss.

Somerset CC vs. Middlesex - Middlesex win the toss.

Essex vs. Surrey - Essex win the toss.

Vote below.

Back to top Go down

Southern League - Week 2 - Voting Empty Re: Southern League - Week 2 - Voting

Post by Marsh Wed 21 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

Apologies - struggling for time this week, so its just a brief one this week

Sussex v Hampshire - Hampshire win

With Steyn injured I feel the Sussex bowling attack is lacking a pace bowler, and in conditions I think giving 10 overs to spin is too much. Although the batting does look very strong, I would have sacrificed one of them for Pattinson

Despite fielding two of my least favourite players in the world (I have a strange dislike for Bravo and Akmal Laugh ) the Hampshire lineup looks very strong, the only change I'd make is McDonald for Wood, I feel it would really add to the batting lineup and wouldn't affect the bowling too much

Somerset v Middlesex - Middlesex win

As harsh as it may be, I feel it would be unfair to vote for Somerset this week, purely based on the tactics submitted and given the detail and depth that everyone else went into. Although both teams look very, very strong - although for Somerset I'm not sure why Meschede bowls all four overs, especially with Van der Merwe and Gayle playing. For Middlesex, I don't honestly think I'd change anything!

Essex v Surrey - Surrey win

Difficult one to call, and one that I feel would be close, however I just can't see the Essex batting line up posting a big enough score. The decision to open with Dawson continues to confuse me, given his career record when compared to others in the Essex squad. I feel in this form of the game that Afridi is wasted at 7, the bowling certainly saves Essex in this game, and on this pitch that would be a very difficult attack to counter, and I do feel that Essex's bowling is stronger than Surrey's

That said I believe that Surrey's batting line up would win them the game, the top 6 is up there with anyone's, although I would have played Stevens instead of Ansari, it would lengthen the batting a little bit, especially if Ansari is only bowling the one over

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Thu 22 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

My votes will be in tomorrow unless you want one line ones.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Sussex Vs. Hampshire

The pedigree of Adams and Smith in the longer forms of the game serve them well in the tough, early conditions with the ball swinging. The loss Steyn proves crucial as the Sharks attack lacks a little penetration with the new ball, although McKay gets unlucky after beating the edge several times. Adams falls in the 7th over to Panesar after trying to up the rate, but Vince and Smith are able to set a platform well. Smith falls after a nice 50, but Akmal, Smith and Bravo blast Hamps upto a useful 160 in the conditions

Hampshire's attack is well suited to the conditions, and although Wood proves a touch expensive early on Bravo and Dimi revel in the conditions When Kohli and Prior fall in successive overs the game looks lost but Styris plays a brilliant lone hand, but when Shahzad falls after a brief cameo, the tail falls away and Scott has too much to do on his own

Hamps by 20 runs

Somerset Vs Middlesex

Finns raw pace proves crucial on absolute road that offers nothing off the pitch or in the air. Gayle crunches him for two fours in the first over, but Finn grabs him and Hildreth in successive overs to stem the Somerset tide. Tres and Kies rebuild but Vettori produces a masterclass on how to restrict scoring, and picks up VDW and Tres. Kies and Buttler start to get going again, but Pathan picks up Buttler thanks to a stunning catch from Morgan and the Somerset lower order can't quite get going as Southee is strangled by some back of the length bowling. 175 looks below par on this deck.

Watson and Guptill get Middlesex off to a flyer against Southee and Gregory, and Meschede also proves expensive. Murali gets Watson, but Guptill and McCullum just keep swinging and put Middlesex well ahead of the rate. Thomas's return accounts for both of them, and Malan, but the experience of Morgan and Benkenstein gets Middlesex across the line at a canter.

Middlesex by 6 wickets.

Essex Vs. Surrey

Nicol once again falls early, and Dawson gets bogged down against some accurate bowling from Woakes and Mathews particularly means Essex don't take advantage of the PP. However, the loss of Dawson proves a blessing in disguise as Shah and Chandimal play the spin attack masterfully in the middle overs and get Essex back into the game. Dernbach accounts for Shah and Chandimal on his return, but Tendo plays brilliantly for a cameo 30* and Afridi slogs 20 off the last over meaning Essex have a very decent 155 on the board.

Parry starts brilliantly and gets Davies in over one, but Roy and Taylor have some joy against Pattinson and Masters on the short boundaries at Chelmsford but Parry gets revenge in his last over by getting them both and finishing with a superb 3-17. When RHB plays a rash shot in Afridi's first over Surrey are staring down the barrel. Luckily, Mike Hussey is at his best. He and Mathews negotiate the rest of Hogg and Afridi's spell, although Afridi deservedly gets Mathews in his last over. Pattinson proves too good for Ansari, and although Woakes and Hussey hit some lusty blows the damage was done when they got behind the rate in the middle overs off Hogg and Afridi and Essex just hold on.

Essex win by 5 runs.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri 23 Mar 2012, 4:59 pm

Sussex vs Hampshire

The sussex attack misses the ability of Steyn in the overcast conditions, and although the spinners do a decent job against the Hampshire batting line-up, there isn't much of a threat after the initial opening salvo from McKay and Gurney. I see Wayne Parnell playing a big role in Hampshire's bowling, Wood struggles to control the swing allowing Sussex to get off to a flier but Parnell bowls a good spell, and the death bowling just about sees Hampshire home. HAMPSHIRE WIN

Somerset vs Middlesex

This one comes down to the stronger batting line-up and which bowlers can keep it tight on this road of the pitch. Vettori bowls a good spell in the Somerset innings which restrains them in the middle overs, meaning the score isn't as big as it could have been.

Gregory struggles to get anything from the pitch, as does Meschede. I'd have been tempted to try Gayle and Van Der Merwe on the pitch, giving less responsibilites to the youngsters. Middlesex manage to chase their total with an over to spare. MIDDLESEX WIN

Essex vs Surrey

Dawson is nipped out early, pinned in front with a yorker from Dernbach. The Essex line-up recover well, batting through the powerplay without losing another wicket. Nicol is removed by Kartik, but Chandimal and Shah play the spinners expertly, setting the platform for new skipper Ten Doeschate to fire at the end alongside Afridi.

Surrey have a fantastic top 6, but Parry strikes early on bowling Davies as he attempts an ugly shot across the line. Taylor nurdles the ball around, with Roy playing his normal game until Afridi comes and bowls an inspired spell. Hussey recovers the innings well alongside Mathews and Ansari, who aren't removed until near the end, leaving Hussey and Woakes just a bit too much to do.

Essex Win

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

Marshall, intresting point you made about dawson, who should i be playing instead of him, in your opinon?

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat 24 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

Sussex, Somerset, Surrey. Will do reasons when I have the time.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

Sussex vs Hampshire: Hampshire win.

Gurney gets slapped around a bit at the start, but McKay nicks out a couple of wickets. Crucially, Smith is still there, and though Panesar does a decent containing job in the middle Hampshire's score keeps ticking over nicely, and with wickets in hand the stage is set, the big hitting Bravo and Mascarenhas really get hold of Yardy at the death, and Hampshire make 150.

On this pitch against a quality bowling attack it's always going to be difficult, and becomes even more so when Bravo deceives Wright with a slower ball early on. Styris and Prior get a partnership going, but Briggs gets rid of Styris, the run-rate keeps climbing, and despite Shahzab's best efforts Sussex fall 10 short.

Somerset vs Middlesex: Middlesex win

Had a lot of trouble deciding this one to be honest. It's very tight, Somerset have maybe the slightly more explosive batting attack with the top 6 all big hitters which helps them on this flat pitch. However, Middlesex's batting probably has that bit of extra class in it. In the end, I think this will be a very high scoring game: Somerset score 180 batting first, but Middlesex bat deep and have some fine players of spin in the middle-order who should be able to comfortably clear the small boundaries. Morgan and Pathan see them over the line in the last over.

Essex vs Surrey : Essex win

Essex bat first, and though the openers don't really take advantage of the powerplay overs, they have a middle-order (Shah, Chandimal, RTD) who are all excellent players of spin. This allows them to score nicely through the middle, and Afridi finishes it off with some lusty blows as they post 145.

In reply, Surrey get off to a good start, but the introduction of Pattinson changes things as he gets rid of both openers in his first over. Afridi and Hogg are difficult to get away through the middle, Hussey deals with them well but on the deteriorating pitch the others struggle, and Surrey end up 5 runs short.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

3-2 Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

4-1 Yahoo

Boom
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly