The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julio Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee

+2
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
School Project
6 posters

Go down

Julio Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee Empty Julio Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee

Post by School Project Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

Seeing as Martin can't get a visa due to a scrap in a chippy, it seems the next best option is Irish Middleweight and Kronk boxer Andy Lee. With Manny Stewart in his corner, a heap of experience and a big Irish-American following Lee would stand a damned good chance.

Boxing Scene has the story here:

http://www.boxingscene.com/lee-ready-replace-murray-face-chavez-jr-on-6-16--50847

Andy Lee, Irish Kronk middleweight star (28w, 1l 20KOs) is seeking a world title shot against World Boxing Council (WBC) Middleweight Champion, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (45w- 1d, 1nc 31KOs) on June 16 at the Sun Bowl, El Paso, Texas.

The hungry Kronk fighter is presently listed in the world rankings as WBC #4, WBA #2 and WBO #2 and following a 13 fight winning streak feels he has paid his dues to challenge for a world title on June 16.

In the last six months Lee has seen boxers like Martin Murray, Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin, Peter Manfredo Jr and Marco Antonio Rubio all challenge for world titles and the Irishman now wants his chance.

Following Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. successful second title defence of his WBC belt against Marco Antonio Rubio on February 4, 2012, Andy Lee was in the frame to fight Chavez Jr. in June. Team Lee, Chavez Jr.’s US promoter Top Rank CEO Bob Arum and HBO Boxing all agreed to the fight in principle.

Then during February 2012 Team Chavez changed their minds on Lee as an opponent, the reason being they were reluctant for Chavez Jr. to fight the Kronk fighter because of his southpaw style.

Team Lee is clear they want the fight and think the fight makes good sporting and business sense for all parties. They feel for a world champion with nearly 50 fights not wanting to fight a challenger because of his southpaw style is a pretty lame excuse at this level of the sport.

Lee commented “I would relish the opportunity to fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for the WBC title on June 16. I’m ready and available, let’s make the fight. It would be a tough fight but I believe I have the skills to beat him and end his reign as champion. The Irish and Mexican people like a good fight, so let’s get it on.”

The Chavez Jr. v Lee fight is a war the boxing public want to see; two young fighters doing battle for the WBC middleweight crown.

The Chavez Jr v Zbik world title bout on June 4, 2011 successfully drew 1.5 million viewers on HBO and with over 40 million people in the US of Irish descent a Chavez Jr v Lee title bout has the potential to boost these viewing figures significantly and generate substantial revenue for fighters, promoters and broadcasters.

Lee’s manager and trainer Emanuel Steward commented “Andy has established himself has an entertaining fighter in America and Europe. I think a fight between Andy and Julio would be a great fight; they are two young fighters burning with ambition and have a track record of being in exciting fights.

Andy is the most prominent and visible middleweight contender resident in the United States at this time; it makes good sporting and business sense for HBO and promoters to make the fight between Andy and Julio.”

Team Lee is confident that a deal can be made with Top Rank, Team Chavez and HBO soon if Top Rank want to re-engage in discussions. There are no other opponents out there for Chavez Jr. to fight that have the credentials that Andy Lee brings to the table.

Lee commented “I have been patiently waiting for my opportunity and now that the dust has settle in the first quarter of 2012 there should be different options emerging for me to challenge for a world title. I strongly feel I deserve my shot. I have worked hard in the last 6 years and with dedication and perseverance got myself positioned as a legitimate world title contender.

I now have my sights fixed on fighting not just Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., but also other champions such as Sergio Martinez, Daniel Geale or Felix Sturm. I am gunning for all of them. I am looking to square off with any one of those guys in the ring within the next three to six months.

I am a prize-fighter that is what I do for a living and why I came to America. I am driven by the ambition to be successful in my career and become world champion. I take that task very seriously; I have dedicated my life to boxing and made a lot of sacrifices.”

Emanuel Steward believes his fighter has all the tools to become world champion.

Steward commented “Andy came to the Kronk Gym, Detroit six years ago following a successful amateur career, an U19 World Silver Medallist in 2002 and Athens Olympian in 2004. He has had almost 30 fights as a pro, he is at the top of the world rankings and at the age of 27 he is in the prime of his life.

Andy has earned his place to challenge for a world title. He is an exciting fighter who can box, fight in the trenches and can bang with either hand. We are primed and ready to fight for a world title when the opportunity arises.”

I can't think of any other option for Chavez Jr to fight (other than the obvious option) and if this fight goes ahead Lee would have a damned good chance, what do you guys think?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Julio Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee Empty Re: Julio Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:40 pm

My hatred for Chavez Jr gets stronger everyday. Did i just read that they cancelled Lee as an opponent because of his SOUTHPAW STANCE!?!?

This is really really outrageous, disgusting on the sport. Unbelievable. Roach and co would be the ones finding opponents, they are such fakes it's unreal
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:04 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:My hatred for Chavez Jr gets stronger everyday. Did i just read that they cancelled Lee as an opponent because of his SOUTHPAW STANCE!?!?

This is really really outrageous, disgusting on the sport. Unbelievable. Roach and co would be the ones finding opponents, they are such fakes it's unreal

That is a ridiculous reason for a champion to not take a fight.

I really don't rate Lee and can see Chavez beating him. If Chavez could make weight a bit easier and not be knackered in the later half of the fight he would wear Lee down and maybe stop him. Also I have no idea how Lee is in line for a shot at the title, spending 3 years getting ready for a rematch against the very very limited Brian Vera and going life and death with Craig McEwan doesn't cut it for me. Also just a had a quick look at boxrec and it seems Lee has only been inside the Middleweight limit once in 4 years.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:34 am

Where did you read that Chavez Jr won't fight Lee because of the southpaw stance? Can't find it anywhere...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:03 am

I found this but havnt read it properly yet

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/2/25/2824597/julio-cesar-chavez-jr-next-fight-andy-lee-challenge-june-16-hbo-boxing-news

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 21 Mar 2012, 7:53 am

School Project wrote:Where did you read that Chavez Jr won't fight Lee because of the southpaw stance? Can't find it anywhere...

Its in the 5th paragraph of the article you posted. I like Lee even though hes very hit and miss. Has a good jab, nice shot selection and decent power so he has the tools but would need to step up another gear to beat Chavez. Never really convinced by Lee when hes put under pressure.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

Lee is just so easy to get hit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down