The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship

+4
Luckless Pedestrian
jay_welsh
eirebilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
8 posters

Go down

Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship Empty Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

Official 6N media release (as I can't find the old thread on the player of the comp)

LYDIATE AWARDED 2012 RBS PLAYER OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP
For immediate release: Wednesday 21st March 2012
Issued on behalf of RBS 6 Nations
Wednesday 21st March 2012– Wales flanker Dan Lydiate has today been announced as the RBS Player of the Championship of the 2012 RBS 6 Nations. Over 30,000 votes were registered, almost double the 2011 number of votes. Wales players dominated the shortlist of 12 names, with Sam Warburton, Alex Cuthbert and Mike Philips all represented in the shortlist alongside Newport Gwent Dragons star Lydiate.

On receiving the Trophy, Lydiate commented:

“I am really surprised to be honest. I am genuinely chuffed to bits.”

“It tops off an amazing competition for me and for Wales. To be part of such a talented Wales team and win the Grand Slam in Cardiff on Saturday was incredible in itself but to then be voted Player of the Championship is absolutely unbelievable.”

“It is a massive honour to win, especially given the quality of the other players up for the award. Thanks to everyone who voted for me, it means a lot.”

The 2012 RBS Player of the Championship was decided as a result of a public vote, hosted on www.rbs6nations.com. The shortlist was compiled of winners of the RBS Man of the Match award chosen by the host broadcasters from the first four weekends. Lydiate had been named Man of the Match in Wales’ match against Scotland in the second weekend of the Championship. He also received the honour for his stand-out performance against France on Saturday as Wales sealed their third Grand Slam in eight years.

Dan Lydiate won his RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship Award securing over 25% of the vote, whilst Jonathan Sexton came in second with 12%. Sexton was closely followed by Italian captain Sergio Parisse in third, with 11.6% of the vote.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship Empty Re: Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship

Post by eirebilly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

Very much deserved for him. He had an amazing tournement, especiall the GS match. I can still hear that tackle Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship Empty Re: Lydiate Awarded 2012 RBS Player Of The Championship

Post by jay_welsh Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

Some of his tackles against France were just sensational. It's incredible when you think the guy could have easily retired after breaking his neck 4 years ago.

jay_welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

See, we've always known how good he is at the Dragons! Very Happy

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

Congrats Danny "you know" Lydiate. Fully deserved.

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

Yep fair play and well deserved. Awesome against France.
Gray runner up IMO

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

well done and congratulations to him clap fully deserved.

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Congratulations to Lydiate, definitely a worthy winner.

I'd prefer to see this award decided by a panel and not limited to MOTM winners though. Sexton (not even the best Irish player of the tournament) coming in 2nd suggests the system is poor.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Thu 22 Mar 2012, 5:37 am

alcoombe wrote:Congratulations to Lydiate, definitely a worthy winner.

I'd prefer to see this award decided by a panel and not limited to MOTM winners though. Sexton (not even the best Irish player of the tournament) coming in 2nd suggests the system is poor.

Would the result have been different? He took 25% of the vote.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu 22 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

Woodstock wrote:
alcoombe wrote:Congratulations to Lydiate, definitely a worthy winner.

Would the result have been different? He took 25% of the vote.

I think Alcoombe's point is that the only nominees for the best player of the 6N award are players who won motm. Clearly this is flawed as a player could play only one game and get the award. Also it ignores players who were consistently excellent like Richie gray but did not win a motm award.

Whilst Lydiate is a worthy winner, he might not have taken 25% of the vote if the list of nominees was inclusive of other players who had a great tournament.

Please note, this is not an attack on Wales or DL. As said, I think he was a deserved winner of the award - great in every game and awesome against France.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 22 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

Is this accolade awarded in a poll open to the public? Seem to remember folks sniggering a fair amount when Masi was awarded it last year?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down