The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations Rabo Effect

+9
sensisball
BlueNote
SecretFly
Gretgael1
maestegmafia
wales606
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
RubyGuby
13 posters

Go down

6 Nations Rabo Effect Empty 6 Nations Rabo Effect

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Anyone on here think there will be a "6 Nations Rabo effect" whereby the welsh players for example might have taken a step forward and the Irish a step backwards - For Wales, players like Ian Evans, Ryan Jones, AWJ, Webb, Scott Williams, JD and Cuthbert have all excelled and will surely go into their remaining games with a spring in their step. Compare this to Irelands front row, back row and Murray, and Darcy for example who have largely had poor tournaments. I know this could work both ways but do you Irish boys in particular see this as a factor that might carry some significance - Will we see a different Ospreys, Scarlets or Blues emerging with more confidence against Leinster. Munster and Ulster respectively - It's a genuine question so interested in your responses thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

6 Nations Rabo Effect Empty Re: 6 Nations Rabo Effect

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm

I think it depends on how quickly the players slot back in to the regional tactics/way of playing etc.

There's no denying the Wales lads are going to bring a big buzz to the regions though, much like after the rwc.

However the irish lads could go back feeling they've a point to prove, and that could make them v dangerous to play against right now.

Will be interesting either way!

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

No can't see it making any difference,our provinces play to the strengths of their players so we'll magically see the Irish lads playing well again.if only Deccie could work it out!!!

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:23 pm

The Welsh lads will be very confident and on a high but i doubt that the Irish will be any different that what they always are.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Blues wont have Warburton for the trip to Dublin though :/

Bradley Davies and Parks wont be carrying any joy from the 6N

Roberts and Gethin must be shattered

L.Williams has barely played for 8 weeks

Cuthbert and Halfpenny should be on a high

Now we just need to get the ball to Cuthbert and 1/2p...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 pm

wales606 wrote:Blues wont have Warburton for the trip to Dublin though :/

Well you could slip something in Dan Parks food this week...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:56 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Anyone on here think there will be a "6 Nations Rabo effect" whereby the welsh players for example might have taken a step forward and the Irish a step backwards - For Wales, players like Ian Evans, Ryan Jones, AWJ, Webb, Scott Williams, JD and Cuthbert have all excelled and will surely go into their remaining games with a spring in their step. Compare this to Irelands front row, back row and Murray, and Darcy for example who have largely had poor tournaments. I know this could work both ways but do you Irish boys in particular see this as a factor that might carry some significance - Will we see a different Ospreys, Scarlets or Blues emerging with more confidence against Leinster. Munster and Ulster respectively - It's a genuine question so interested in your responses thumbsup

Ireland's front row was fine, until the last game. The backrow was definitely a mixed bag, Ferris was great, SOB not bad, and Heaslip was poor. Average as a unit. Difficult tournament for Murray. D'arcy and DOC were really shown up and should no longer be in the mix internationally.

The Irish players could be relieved to be around familiar surrounding of their provinces and start preforming the way they had done before the 6 nations, and maybe even improve. On the other hand, their confidence could be dented and their form may suffer. Only time will tell.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:Blues wont have Warburton for the trip to Dublin though :/

Well you could slip something in Dan Parks food this week...?

He is still better than Sweeney...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Welsh players will feel the thump of being slightly downgraded when they go back to their Regions. I mean their structures and coaching at International far exceeds that at their regions and they thrive on the International part - the training, the ability of their coaches and the shirt itself.

With Irish players it will be a relief to get back to their Provinces - an upgrade, if you will, to keep the analogy going. Coaching levels at the three main Provinces is certainly operating more smoothly than at International level. The players like their Provincial brands, like the strategy and the gameplans. Everyone, even outsiders have to admit that an Irish player playing for Province is a different beast to the same player in an Ireland shirt in recent years.

I see maybe Welsh Regions benefitting from the bounce in confidence for a week or so perhaps but I can see the steely grit of the Provinces churning on from there, as the Irish players sink their teeth into something they actually believe in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 pm

"as the Irish players sink their teeth into something they actually believe in."

SF, in the circumstances, you might have used a different turn of phrase??

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

BlueNote wrote:"as the Irish players sink their teeth into something they actually believe in."

SF, in the circumstances, you might have used a different turn of phrase??

Hmmmmmmmmm, I did actually forget about that one. Oh to hell with it, I don't like PCness anyway, so I'll leave it there Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:59 am

Anyone want to have another view of this. I think I saw a 6 Nations RABO effect in Leinster thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 am

Good results for the Welsh regions, bar the Blues... Edinburgh certainly saw it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am

Maesteg - The O's also didn't play like that very often with Holley and Johnson there - Really loked like a "team" for the first time in many years thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 am

Glasgow will benefit from the 6 Nations RABO effect by no longer having to endure Robinson and Townsend's coaching!
Plus their forward depth, in particular in the front row, is stronger than just about any team in the league.

Will be a massive game on Friday against the Blues. Given that the Welsh dont have Warburton and have a HC Q final the next week it will be intersting to see if any of their key players are rested for what will be a hell of a tough match.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am

RubyGuby wrote:Anyone want to have another view of this. I think I saw a 6 Nations RABO effect in Leinster thumbsup

The RABO BOUNCE effect? Yeah. It's in evidence. There was a similar bounce after the WC..... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 am

thumbsup I'll take that as a yes then Sfly

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:23 pm

The Welsh regional bouce post International period? Yeah, Ruby, that's an affirmative, and a 'yes'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Will not affect Ulster in the slightest.

Ferris had a good 6N
Best had a good 6N
Trimble was reasonable
Court will now play in his correct position

Since the 6N started our record is W4 L1

You will see 2, probably 3, Irish provinces in the Rabo playoffs
At most their will be 1 Welsh team.

Come the SF's of the HC there will be 2 Irish and no Welsh teams - so a Welsh bounce compared to the Irish ? - in a word No

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Geoff, 2 I can accept as a given but to assume "probably 3" at this stage is jumping the gun a bit. You're post sounds bitter by the way, this was a genuine question thumbsup I'm not quite sure what your references to the HC mean but good luck all the same.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh dear geoff!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm

It's very interesting how much better the Irish seem to be for their provinces compared to internationals. And how the reverse is true for the Welsh. It just shows how different coaches can get different results from the same talent. And how important things like team spirit and pride in the jersey are.

Last year it took Leinster a little while to get back into their rhythm after the 6 Nations. But it wasn't that long. They were de-Kidnified and re-Leinsterized within a month.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
Last year it took Leinster a little while to get back into their rhythm after the 6 Nations. But it wasn't that long. They were de-Kidnified and re-Leinsterized within a month.

Laugh Yep. That's the point I was trying to put to Ruby, but you were much more ruthlessly to the point, Feckless.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Ok - that makes sense - Maybe the O's performance is more to do with getting rid of Bill and Ben as coaches aka Holley and Johnson. It looked an actual team performance with a clear structure unlike the rabble that has been served up recently. Very Wales like in the way they went about their business and in the way they had the "rub of the green" for their hard work. O's Vs Leinster RABO final with 2 full teams would be great from a welsh point of view. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:10 pm

RubyGuby wrote: O's Vs Leinster RABO final with 2 full teams would be great from a welsh point of view. thumbsup

Complicated one from a Leinster point of view as if they reached a HC final in that time it'll be a little like the meet up of Wales and France after a Lions tour! Win or loss for Leinster in HC (provided they make it to the final) should see Ospreys quite well placed in the assassins seat if they make the final of the Pro12. If Leinster are knocked out of HC earlier and then get to a final with Ospreys there waiting - Then it becomes even more of a Game-On!!!! game..............

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Geoff, 2 I can accept as a given but to assume "probably 3" at this stage is jumping the gun a bit. You're post sounds bitter by the way, this was a genuine question thumbsup I'm not quite sure what your references to the HC mean but good luck all the same.

My probably 3 is based on the run ins.
I would not swap Ulster's for anyone elses.

Next 2 games are Aironi and Connacht.
After that Leinster, at Ravenhill, the week before a HC SF and with a home tie, in the Rabo playoffs, almost certaintly in the bag.

I just do not believe that there will be more than 1 Welsh team in the play offs and I cant see Cardiff winning in Dublin. For that reason I do not believe we will see any change in the position of teams when comparing Wales and Ireland.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Has the SLAM positively affected the Welsh regions? For sure. With the exception of Blues. Will this affect the PRO12 Playoffs, to the detriment of the Irish provinces and to the benefit of the Welsh regions? Remains to be seen. Scarlets and O's have a great chance of the playoffs. But, I believe only O's will make an away SF tie in them.

1. Leinster
2. Munster
3. Ospreys
4. Ulster (Scarlets could nick it)

Love to see Glasgow make it a nice mix. Its all to play for. Still 7 sides with a realistic chance.

Special mention for Dragons who are now chasing down the Blues. And Treviso - who are fast becoming a hard side to beat. Home or Away.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down