The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change?

+3
SecretFly
red_stag
RubyGuby
7 posters

Go down

Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change? Empty Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change?

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

(i) Anyone get frustrated when a player gets pinged for what is a reflex reaction to catching the ball when it ricochets off his own player only to find that he and his team are then penalised for this. I would like to see a change here and some discretion applied. For me a penalty should be given for some kind of intentional act, it just doesn't seem appropriate for me. Something similar to intentional knock on as opposed to accidental would work for me. Any thoughts thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change? Empty Re: Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change?

Post by red_stag Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

Yea, Im happy enough for a referee to say:

Accidental reflex action, scrum
Playing ball from offside position, penalty

Its no different to what we do at truck and trailer v obstruction.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change? Empty Re: Accidental Offside Frustration/Rule Change?

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

Now Ruby, you know the word (or words) ref discretion are only fuel to those who want to use an Uzi on refs they don't like.

Let the ref decide when to give and to take? A mountain of trouble for refs and disgruntled fans....plus of course the usual acres of footage and chitchat to prove the ref was wrong to think the player was innocent.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:23 pm

Don't get me going on Warburton again Fly I'm having a steady day mad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that's already the way it's applied. You could apply the same principle to deliberate knock ons. Ball is going past you instinctively lash out to stop it.

A prime moment to attack is following a knock on. Players should get out of the way. No sympathy

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm

" He was trying his best to get back onside"

Yeah right ref

If you interfere with play whilst offside, you interfere with play...intent only comes into it when dishing cards. For many people its a gut instinct to punch dylan hartley when they see him, that doesnt mean it should go unpunished. The ref has some discretion to play advantage if the offside has no impact ( eg the player realised what hes done and dropped the ball, but noone ever does that)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:25 am

Agree with Peter really except for one point.

Are you sure punching Dylan Hartley shouldn't go unpunished?................

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

A prime moment to attack is following a knock on. Players should get out of the way. No sympathy

+1. Otherwise players will do their best to make it look like and accident but it will still be killing play.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down