The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012

+24
Running Dragon
A World Cup and 3 Finals
JDizzle
Casartelli
emack2
majesticimperialman
freeman lowell
EnglishReign
Knowsit17
kiakahaaotearoa
HERSH
TycroesOsprey
nobbled
maestegmafia
Impossible Standards
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
munkian
Geordie
SecretFly
english warrior
Biltong
wickedwasp
blackcanelion
Taylorman
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012 Empty Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:58 am

Don't see this very often...plus there's the little matter of the four nations before that but nevertheless...good way to start the tension flowing...!

http://www.allblacks.com/news/18926/Wales-could-be-All-Blacks-biggest-challenge

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012 Empty Re: Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012

Post by blackcanelion Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:47 am

Not sure. It's very much another article on the resurgence of Welsh rugby. It could be, but there are other issues for the AB's, including:
1. Hansen's 1st year in charge.
2. Retirements, etc following the WC victory.
3. Home and away games against the boks, with new coach Meyer. The boks will look to get the upper hand, and they may have a more complete team than any other team outside NZ.
4. Home and away games againt Australia, with Dingo Deans at the helm, and his ex provincial understudy in charge of the AB's. I suspect the Wallabies are still a step above the 6 nations teams.
5. Home and away games against the Pumas in the championship. Who will be seeking a first ever win (unlikely, but a v. small chance). This is a team on the up, 6 games against top teams has to lead to an improvement.
6. A three test series against Ireland (unlikely given Irelands recent form, but every test is a chance). Again this would be a first for Ireland)
7. Likely second string sides against scotland and Italy away (eventually one of these sides will win)
8. A game against England. IMO there's little between Wales and England at the moment. No one likes losing to England (who are my second team by the way).

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012 Empty Re: Wales could be All Blacks biggest challenge for 2012

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:37 am

I do think this is probably Wales' best chance in a very long time to actually record a win against the ABs.

They've got the team to do it, but can they overcome the psychological barrier? If anything, it's easier for England because we can remember beating them before.

I think at home, England and Wales should both have a chance, but we are talking about the All Blacks................................

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:59 am

Well, it is a positive article in regards to Wales. But I think it is just another "could be" or "could happen" view.

If Wales want to be seen as the all Blacks biggest challenge, they will have to go be successful in Australia. Beating a SH team away from home is in my view Wales' biggest challenge to date.

They managed it in 1969 and in 1987 against australia. So that would be their immediate goal. I believe if they don't manage a win in Australia, they won't worry the All Blacks to much.

You also have to look at it from the all Black perspective. By the time November comes around Hansen will have played 10 tests or so, that would be enough for him to have settled into the role, with a bunch of players he knows already.

The All Blacks will not want to be the first all Black team in nigh on 60 years and being current World Champions to lose to wales. They ave a very, very proud record against the home nations.

Having said all that, this is professional rugby, injuries, fatigue and the referee can all make an impact on game day.

I personally think, the new 4 nations or The Rugby Championship as it is now known will be a much tougher challenge for New Zealand.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:59 am

If the AB's put out a third team, with no caps between them, they will still rip Wales a new one!! thats how much of a challenge this Wales side are for them. Dear, dear me! Doh

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:08 am

So it's official? The All Blacks have phoned in their 3 victories over Ireland in advance so that they can take it off the 'to do'list.

Oh well - Kidney can take the U20s afterall so.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

If Wales want to be seen as the all Blacks biggest challenge, they will have to go be successful in Australia

Biltong...i think you hit the nail on the head...concentrate on this challenge first. If they go to Oz thinking its gonna be a walk in the park they'll come back badly beaten....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:47 am

english warrior wrote:If the AB's put out a third team, with no caps between them, they will still rip Wales a new one!! thats how much of a challenge this Wales side are for them. Dear, dear me! Doh

English keyboard warrior more like Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:51 am

If its their day Wales could beat them, I dont think its unfair to recognise that.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Is anyone left in the current English team squad that last beat New Zealand ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:59 am

On their day!

Good to hear that again Laugh Laugh

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:00 am

Lets just see how we go against Aus shall we. Lets be fair here it's not Wales that are saying this and I'm sure some people just cringe at these 'Wales could do it' articles. I know I do. Win a game in Aus and it will be a small step along the way.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

munkian wrote:Is anyone left in the current English team squad that last beat New Zealand ?

Rowntree if you count him

Is anyone alive from the Welsh one?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

Doubt it but that was my point. Wales beating them 60 years ago is as relevant as England beating them 10/15/20 years ago
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

Exciting times for Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:39 pm

Where I see this Wales side as better than their previous incarnations, is their mental strength. I don't think they give a damn about previous records, who their previous "bogey sides" are, or where they play them.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

nobbled wrote:Where I see this Wales side as better than their previous incarnations, is their mental strength. I don't think they give a damn about previous records, who their previous "bogey sides" are, or where they play them.

Certainly seems that way since Warburton took the helm. An admirable character who has the whole squad following his lead.

Also the talent and quantity of it in the welsh game. The amount of talented prospects that the academies are unearthing and the quantity and quality of those who are succeding at regional and international level is the best we have had for a very very long time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

Just realised the author of that is a member on here

Id question the notion that teh game at the millenuim is likely to be their biggest challenge. Are Wales, without their head coach, really likley to have improved form where they are now to a side thas better than both Australia and South Africa?

Toughest challenege from an NH side yes probably. But its a leap to suggest that this Wales side is ready to step up another level from. Also by the time that game comes around NZ will be much further into tehir erebuilding programme than when they face the other quad nations sides.

So sorry Id say its unlikley to be the toughest game they will face, which isnt to say I dont think Wales could win. Sydney, Dunedan, Sowetto ...all should be tougher proespects.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Certainly seems that way since Warburton took the helm. An admirable character who has the whole squad following his lead.

Bradley Davies *cough*

But yeah, good guy. Comes across well on and off the pitch.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Well its a nice article and its good to see we are getting some respect from the NZ press after 30 years where we werent even ridiculed by them simply dismissed as has beens. The Wales - NZ rivalry went a long way to defining the sport in both countries for the first 80 years of matches between the two countries so its important for us to earn back that respect. However, we have a series with the Australians first and thats everybodys priority, I doubt the team have even talked about playing NZ in the Autumn. Its all about the Ozzies until November.

Beating Hansen in Cardiff would be the high point of my Rugby watching life though. Beating NZ would be Awesome with Hansen in charge as the icing on the cake.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Just realised the author of that is a member on here

Id question the notion that teh game at the millenuim is likely to be their biggest challenge. Are Wales, without their head coach, really likley to have improved form where they are now to a side thas better than both Australia and South Africa?

Toughest challenege from an NH side yes probably. But its a leap to suggest that this Wales side is ready to step up another level from. Also by the time that game comes around NZ will be much further into tehir erebuilding programme than when they face the other quad nations sides.

So sorry Id say its unlikley to be the toughest game they will face, which isnt to say I dont think Wales could win. Sydney, Dunedan, Sowetto ...all should be tougher proespects.

I think you miss the point of this post.

It is from a kiwi who thinks Wales are the best team in world rugby.

Better than the Aussies and the Boks as well as the Six Nations teams they have beaten already in the last few weeks. And that they will be the hardest team to beat this year.

With all teams in a resurgent nature, starting a new RWC cycle while Wales have a slightly more settled look, a winning on at that. It is a fair point.

The other main team though will be the Aussies, who like Wales have suffered little from retirements, have a young and exciting squad that I personally think will likely be a better team than Wales, a tough test for Wales this summer and the biggest threat to the ABs.

But I am seriously looking forward to finding out how we go against them.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

HERSH wrote: Laugh

Broken Record
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

Laugh Get real guys Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

Can't wait for the series though. Australia will be a fantastic tour and the AiS are great choices by the WRU.

Just have to get that fourth place in the rankings before the RWC seedings.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

Just concentrate on the Aussies first, worry about NZ later on in the year! Rolling Eyes
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

So who is that member PSW?

Also I'm not sure how you read meastegmafia from that article that Wales are the best team in world rugby. Otherwise the article would be entitled Wales are definitely the toughest challenge in 2012 for NZ who are the second best team in world rugby.

That said, I´m glad we get to play Wales at home at the end of the year because Wales are deserving of their 6N Grand Slam and we also get to play England who finished second. We always like to pit ourselves against the top sides.

But having also said that, SA and Australia are not going to be any pushovers in the inaugural 4N and Argentina are an unknown quantity in this kind of format. They are always going to be our biggest rivals as they have beaten us by far the most times. You earn respect by beating the top teams. Which is why posters have put the importance of the Australian series to worry about first for Wales.

And which is why I´m most worried about Ireland for the moment. One game at a time. You´re only as good as your last game and can be as bad as your next game.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

Spot on from all those saying concentrate on Australia first, they'll certainly tear us a new one and ruin a good bit of momentum ahead of other tough tests if looked past.

This is a NZ article and it's nice to see them wary of us but at least wait until the flight home before giving them any thought.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:31 pm

Wales will win in Aus but NZ will trump everyone again.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:32 pm

I like the cut of your jib EnglishReign. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

Aside from all the hype and comparison in the end on Nov. 26 2 teams of 15 walk out and this time wales have the players and confidence to take it on the day.

Wouldnt have said this this time last year under henry.

The abs face ireland.. 4 Times is it? havnt checked if we meet again AIs, Argentina twice, scotland once as well- 7 tests where first ever wins against us are all on the cards?

Then wales and england who both havnt won in a while.

If hansen comes through all those unscathed then he'll have done brilliantly.

We expect to lose at least one or two away matches to oz and or SA as we always do but a massive challenge ahead in these 'never loss' tests. Some span over 100 years so this years team has some feat ahead of it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

Aside from all the hype and comparison in the end on Nov. 24th 2 teams of 15 walk out and this time wales have the players and confidence to take it on the day.

Wouldnt have said this this time last year under henry.

The abs face ireland.. 4 Times is it? havnt checked if we meet again AIs, Argentina twice, scotland once as well- 7 tests where first ever wins against us are all on the cards?

Then wales and england who both havnt won in a while.

If hansen comes through all those unscathed then he'll have done brilliantly.

We expect to lose at least one or two away matches to oz and or SA as we always do but a massive challenge ahead in these 'never loss' tests. Some span over 100 years so this years team has some feat ahead of it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

What would the fallout in NZ be like if they lost a test to Ireland, came 3rd in the quad nations and then lost a 60 year winning record against the welsh though Taylor? that could be as few as 4-5 losses this year which for mortal teams would be not a bad return but for the Blacks?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

It would be an annus horribilis or a horrible bum of a year. You take your pick.

Such things are best left not pondered mate. If you think the Wales England bickering threads are bad then this is taking it to a whole other level. Posters would be queuing up to have a jibe at the worst world champs since... 2003. NZ fans would call for the ABs to be renamed the All Goths because they are miserable, individuals who bleat on about the injustices of the world and basically suck the joy out of life. It doesn´t bear thinking about. censored

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:It would be an annus horribilis or a horrible bum of a year. You take your pick.

Such things are best left not pondered mate. If you think the Wales England bickering threads are bad then this is taking it to a whole other level. Posters would be queuing up to have a jibe at the worst world champs since... 2003. NZ fans would call for the ABs to be renamed the All Goths because they are miserable, individuals who bleat on about the injustices of the world and basically suck the joy out of life. It doesn´t bear thinking about. censored

Wink dont worry Im pretty sure that scenario is unlikely to unfold. Although I would sell my grandmother to see the look on Hansens face if you did lose to Wales. My ex was in Aukland just after the 99 RWC for a few months and the self immolation after that tournament was unlike anything I have seen, even in Wales. For a poor English girl who had just gone through my whining about the ref in the qf she landed in NZ to somthing even worse.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:38 pm

Yeah it´s not pretty. We haven´t learnt the art of losing with grace. At least the fans (well many of them at any rate). It means so much to see us represented on the international stage so admirably by our beloved ABs so a loss can seem to many like a loss of face. Generally all bullies have deep insecurities and when they get shown up they tend to come back with a snarling bite or two.

Idiots like the ones who spat on John Hart down in Canterbury when his horse was racing at Addington exist all over the world but sometimes in NZ I think we lose sight of the fact it´s just a game.

Having said that, the NZ economy will nosedive if what you say comes to fruition!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

"worst world champs since 2003".......I am lucky enough to have tickets and as an english man was feeling a bit conflicted about who to shout for....well now its gonna be wales so ya boo sucks to you kia.............

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:41 pm

Haha well in fairness mate the stats don´t lie. Just ask Biltong or ASBO.

Good on you for supporting Wales. Just make sure you don´t wear white. You can wear black and pretend it´s the England away strip. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:44 pm

freeman lowell wrote:"worst world champs since 2003".......I am lucky enough to have tickets and as an english man was feeling a bit conflicted about who to shout for....well now its gonna be wales so ya boo sucks to you kia.............

How have you got a ticket? they havent been issued yet the fixture was only confirmed a fortnight ago? Even the clubs havent had details on allocation?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

yeah i won em in a raffle...not in my mitts yet but promised by John Taylor who seems like a fellow to be trusted.......

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

Wales are a good team, 6ns Grand Slam winners.

They are going to Australia in the summer, will they be good enough to beat Australia in Australia? But New Zealand? in New Zealand, that is a big ask even for Grand Slam winners Wales.

Wales need to concentrate on Australia first, if they win in Australia then they concentrate on trying to beat New Zealand.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

The game is in the MS in November majestic so that helps lift the odds considerably.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

freeman lowell wrote:yeah i won em in a raffle...not in my mitts yet but promised by John Taylor who seems like a fellow to be trusted.......

Fairplay I cant see JT stitching you up, it was the scots he liked putting a boot into.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Laugh

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

I claim the prize of the Welsh fan saying

'On their day wales could' !!!

yes i'm definitely claiming that one! Wink

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:The game is in the MS in November majestic so that helps lift the odds considerably.

My mistake. thumbsup

I still think it will be a huge ask for Wales, even though NZ will be a change side this year compair to last year, but will be coming off something like a 10/11 match introduction for the new team/ coach, plus they are WORLD CHAMPIONS. And they will not want to lose to Wales or any other NH team, for that matter.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Thanks for putting that in capital letters. It looks even better. thumbsup

No it will be a tough ask but it´ll also be a tough ask for NZ.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:14 pm

At the moment the AllBlacks have lost Muliana,Thorn.Kaino,Slade,and possibly Cowan.From the RWC squad,other AllBlacks are carrying injuries or sufferingearly season form loss.They are traditionally slow starters BUT get a game under there belt.THEN they usually start firing Carter and McCaw fully fit is a huge fillip.

The last 4 years U20 RWC players are really coming on line,Tight as well as loose
forwards.They have genuine young pretenders at 6,7,besides lock and prop.
Backs inmidfield,9,10,15,wing are lining up.
They may only be raw,BUT give them a shot,and many will be playing in Black for years to come.
Wales as 6Ns Grand Slam Champs deserve respect,BUT Aus and SA will take priority .There last 2 4Ns matches are home,and they will be out to gain[regain]?title ceded last year.
Expect another AllBlacks Grand Slam come the AI`s,if they can win a RWC,with a 4th choice 10,a 9 with a groin strain and a 7 on one leg.
I think they will probably have to much for the 6Nsides if they have a fit squad.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

english warrior wrote: I claim the prize of the Welsh fan saying

'On their day wales could' !!!

yes i'm definitely claiming that one! Wink

Well at least with the belief in the team now, it is "On their day wales should."
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next