The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

+10
sirfredperry
time please
Josiah Maiestas
bradman99.94
Henman Bill
monty junior
noleisthebest
newballs
hawkeye
reckoner
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray - Page 2 Empty Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by Guest Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/7629546/Murray-to-miss-Davis-Cup-tie

Again Murray choosing to booster his chances at the Slams by not competing in Britain's tie with Belgium. Rather frustrating. Had Murray been woefully out of form, he just might have taken part. I am rather sick and tired of this kiss chase that GB play with Andy Murray when Davis Cup duty calls. It does however rather highlight the lack of depth in the mens department for GB.

I am hoping that Golding might get a chance to shine sooner or later.

I think Murray and GB should part ways for the time being if Andy holds all the cards to his participation.

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by hawkeye Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

Murray might have played if the tie was on clay. From an article in The Times (PPV)

The determination of Andy Murray to spend more springtime on clay this year is the crux of his decision to drop the Davis Cup from his schedule next week

It does beg the question as to why Britain do not have the foresight — because the funds are available — to be able to lay an indoor clay court that could stage a match, such as the one against Belgium, that might have persuaded Murray to play.

I have to ask the question. When did Murray realise that the tie wasn't going to be played on clay?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup - Surprise Surprise No Murray

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

With all due respect Hawky GB never plays on Clay if they are the host nation.

Don't be silly now.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

legendkiller.

? I wasn't trying to be silly. Just saying that Murray of course knew the tie wasn't going to be played on clay so why did he leave it until the last minute to say he wasn't playing?

Murray has also been talking about how he would like the whole format of the Davis Cup changed. If your interested.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

Errr Hawkeye

Leave it to the last minute? Errr no.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

hawkeye wrote:legendkiller.

? I wasn't trying to be silly. Just saying that Murray of course knew the tie wasn't going to be played on clay so why did he leave it until the last minute to say he wasn't playing?

Murray has also been talking about how he would like the whole format of the Davis Cup changed. If your interested.

This sort of thing annoys me about Murray. He is better off to concentrate on playing well and discussing this sort of thing once he has accomplished his goals on the court.

Federer, Nadal, and now Djokovic can pontificate all they like as they have actually achieved majors.

Murray hasn't earned it yet, but somehow gets persuaded to spout off - eedjut.

All this because he is a big fish in the miniscule pond which is the LTA.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

54 replies perhaps suggests the Davis Cup still does mean something.

If and when we get into world group play offs all the effort will have been worth out. Trouble is without Andy we won't get in the play offs and this argument will go round and round in circles.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

Leave the guy alone. If he doesn't want to play, so be it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

hawkeye wrote:legendkiller.

GB were the host nation when the draw was made.

Like I said GB never play home ties on Clay. So if the decision was based on that tangible factor then he would've ruled himself out.

I know of no Clay court used by GB for a home tie ever. So to me it is a silly question.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

It would be much better for the profile (and therefore encouraging young people to take the sport up) of tennis in this country if Murray could win an Olympic medal rather than try and move up a rung on the DC ladder.

I think he has made the right decision. I don't see that making that decision conflicts with Murray backing Leon Smith for the coaching role - if he is the right guy for GB and Murray felt that, I'm glad he lobbied for the appointment.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2