The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations

+14
propdavid_london
ChequeredJersey
Mad for Chelsea
Submachine
BigTrevsbigmac
Golden
RubyGuby
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
dummy_half
Geordie
doctornickolas
wickedwasp
maestegmafia
18 posters

Go down

Tightheads

Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap41%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 50 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap0%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap10%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 12 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap0%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap2%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap2%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap1%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap43%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 53 ]
Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap1%Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 123

Poll closed

Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Empty Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:22 am

Lets look at who the board rate as the best Tightheads possible suggestions for the Lions next year.

Pick TWO Tightheads from the Poll below.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:35 am

Maest

No brainer surely

Jones & Cole

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Tight head Prop Choices of the Home Nations

Post by doctornickolas Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 am

wickedwasp wrote:Maest

No brainer surely

Jones & Cole

+1 (and 99% of everyone else probably)

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 am

doctornickolas wrote:

No brainer surely

Jones & Cole

+1 (and 99% of everyone else probably)

That game England vs Ireland really demolished the reputation of the Irish Props. Prior to that match many posters were selecting Healey and Ross over Gethins and Adam.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 am

JOnes & Cole...yup no brainer

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 am

One of the easiest picks - the Hair Bear and Dan Cole. The bigger debate will be over which one should start: Jones is probably the better scrummager but Cole offers more in open play.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 am

Sorry to be pernickity, but Jon Welsh is really a loosehead - that's where he received his debut cap against Italy OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 am

Jones and Cole.

The Scottish scrum really struggled against the French and Mike Ross hasn't had a great season imo, I don't think hes fit enough and is overused by Ireland because of the lack of options.

In fairness to the Irish scrum it was very solid up until the England game and is noticibly weaker when Donnacha Ryan plays.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 am

roddersm wrote:Jones and Cole.

The Scottish scrum really struggled against the French and Mike Ross hasn't had a great season imo, I don't think hes fit enough and is overused by Ireland because of the lack of options.

In fairness to the Irish scrum it was very solid up until the England game and is noticibly weaker when Donnacha Ryan plays.

Yes Dan Cole is luckily usually a bench player or subbed at Tigers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 am

Rodders
good point bout the importance of the 2nd row in supporting their prop. Scotland v France the scrum was even with the starting packs. Murray was then brought on and held his own in the first couple of scrums, but then Hamilton was replaced by Kellock and suddenly Scotland were going backwards at a rate not seen since Sheridan and Dunning faced each other (although subsequently surpassed by the Irish pack against England).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 am

Jones & Cole thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am

Court is not a tighthead.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Well he is rotated with Castro. Tigers are lucky to have 2 world class THs.

He has probably played more game time for Tigers than Jones for the Ospreys.

Tight heads are treasured creatures and need to be looked after if they are that good.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 am

Cole doesn't look like a tighthead. Very svelte (is that the right word) for a prop. Great technique and good around the park. Could be bedrock of England scrum for next 10 years.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:40 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Well he is rotated with Castro. Tigers are lucky to have 2 world class THs.

He has probably played more game time for Tigers than Jones for the Ospreys.

Tight heads are treasured creatures and need to be looked after if they are that good.

Not sure whether anyone bar diehard, unobjective England/Tigers fans would seriouly consider Dan Cole Worldclass...? That is a pretty big exageration.

Anyhow nature of modern game we may well see the Lions take three tightheads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Maest

too early to start throwing around world class, I agree.

But, he does have the potential to be, I think

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:45 pm

no brainer to me this one: Cole and Jones stand quite a way above the rest of the options IMO. Cole has really gone from strength to strength in the last year and a half or so and is now arguably England's most important player.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:47 pm

great technique good around the field just a bit lightweight. Short is fine for a prop but light weight is not good when you face a big bulky Loosehead, with a monster pack behind him.

SA this summer will make or break Coles chances.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Cole and Jones
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 pm

This is very interesting.
The 2 shoe in's are the Welsh boy Props (Jones and Jenkins).
If they go on tour they have nothing to prove against Oz.
The upcoming tours will go a long way to determining the backup props.

English pair will scrum down against arguably the best scrummaging Southern Hem team.
Cian Healy and Mike Ross will be tested against the Kiwi pack (no easy task with Franks in good form).

Good or bad performances against these oponents will be the deciding factor, and then if they can back it up in the November tests.

Is, Scotland touring? If so where. I would like to see Ford and Murray et. al against the southern teams.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Not sure whether anyone bar diehard, unobjective England/Tigers fans would seriouly consider Dan Cole Worldclass...? That is a pretty big exageration.

If you view world class as the Premiership than Dan Cole is top of the Championship and pushing on. For a 24 year old he is an exceptionally gifted tighthead that is developing very nicely. He has good mentors in Castro (argueably the best TH in the world) and Julian White (one of the meanest scrummagers going) as well as having to do live scrum training against Mulipola (20 stone of Samoan muscle) and Ayerza (technically gifted Argentinian) should mean he has all the bases covered.

For those who say he's lightweight he is about 18 and a half stone so not the biggest going but hardly small.

Adam Jones will be the first choice for the Lions as he is 31 and in his prime. Be good for Jones to know he can give everything for 50 minutes and know there's a very good sub waiting to replace him when he tires.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Sam

Not sure if that was intended as a dig, but if so.................... clap

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Jones and Cole give the Lions a formidable option on the tight head.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

If you view world class as the Premiership than Dan Cole is top of the Championship and pushing on. For a 24 year old he is an exceptionally gifted tighthead that is developing very nicely. He has good mentors in Castro (argueably the best TH in the world) and Julian White (one of the meanest scrummagers going) as well as having to do live scrum training against Mulipola (20 stone of Samoan muscle) and Ayerza (technically gifted Argentinian) should mean he has all the bases covered.

For those who say he's lightweight he is about 18 and a half stone so not the biggest going but hardly small.

Adam Jones will be the first choice for the Lions as he is 31 and in his prime. Be good for Jones to know he can give everything for 50 minutes and know there's a very good sub waiting to replace him when he tires.

Hi Sam

Good post and I think you cover our thoughts across the board. Dan Cole is very impressive. As I was stating somewhere else there is a certain line of thought against Adam Jones and pro Cole if we want a mobile pack. Do we need a massive scrummager like jones when a ball winner who is technically very good in the scrum would offer more?

Depends on whether we are going to try and smash the Ozzie scrum...?

Will find out the best tactic in the summer. Adam Jones might not be the best weapon for Wales in Oz. maybe one of the more athletic youngsters may prove a better asset.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Against Australia too - both Jones and Cole would do very well.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 pm

If the Lions are going to win the tour they have to use any and all weapons in their arsenal. One area where we definately know we are better is in the scrum, so we must really turn the screw there.

It was worth 2 penalty trys the last time England toured there. Lions and Wales should be aiming to do better when they tour.

But, the thing about the Wallabies is that they tend to know how to play behind a struggling pack - so, the lions must smash them in the breakdown too. (Just like Samoa did in their pre WC friendly).

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

great technique good around the field just a bit lightweight. Short is fine for a prop but light weight is not good when you face a big bulky Loosehead, with a monster pack behind him.

SA this summer will make or break Coles chances.

I think he can get away with being slightly 'lightweight' in the scrum due to his excellent technique. He has struggled in games before, but what young international tighthead wouldn't. The only person I have seen give him a real, genuine beasting was Thomas Domingo and he is far from a big bulky loosehead, more a short stocky guy with treetrunk legs and great technique of his own.

I don't see that many destructive international looseheads out there at the moment, and I think Cole is at the point where he can and should be dominating the vast majority of them.

I agree that South Africa could make or break him, just not at scrumtime. I don't think the South African scrum is that fearsome at the moment, and him and Corbisiero should be able to at least have front row parity, providing the rest of the forward do the business in the set piece. Whether Cole can stand up to the physicality of the Bok forwards away from the scrum is the more interesting area, for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm

As I was stating somewhere else there is a certain line of thought against Adam Jones and pro Cole if we want a mobile pack. Do we need a massive scrummager like jones when a ball winner who is technically very good in the scrum would offer more?

I'd start with Jones and use Cole's new found mobility (he wasn't showing that last year, I think he's slimmed down a tad) later on in the games. Aus are very good at wearing teams down and then getting a glut of points late on against tired legs. The ability to bring on Cole who will still give their scrum a going over but also get round the park should help negate that free flowing rugby effect.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm

As I was stating somewhere else there is a certain line of thought against Adam Jones and pro Cole if we want a mobile pack. Do we need a massive scrummager like jones when a ball winner who is technically very good in the scrum would offer more?

I'd start with Jones and use Cole's new found mobility (he wasn't showing that last year, I think he's slimmed down a tad) later on in the games. Aus are very good at wearing teams down and then getting a glut of points late on against tired legs. The ability to bring on Cole who will still give their scrum a going over but also get round the park should help negate that free flowing rugby effect.

Luckily we have this summers welsh tour to work out the best tactics. It might be that we need two scrummagers to pulverise the ozzies, may need two athletes or may need a mix of the two as you say.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:45 pm

I think this is a good idea, but there is always the chance they will go for another loosehead on the bench and rely on Jenkins to cover the number 3 shirt, something he has already done at international level.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

I think this is a good idea, but there is always the chance they will go for another loosehead on the bench and rely on Jenkins to cover the number 3 shirt, something he has already done at international level.

More likely Paul james on the bench I reckon. Gethin hasn't played Tighthead for over four years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am

More likely Paul james on the bench I reckon. Gethin hasn't played Tighthead for over four years.

I'm sure Cole or Jones can cover loosehead in an emergency as they are only up against Australia. Lessening the ability on the bench by including Paul James doesn't seem a good idea to me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote: Lessening the ability on the bench by including Paul James doesn't seem a good idea to me.

Hardly.James might be a bench player for Wales but Wales have two world class first choice props.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote: Lessening the ability on the bench by including Paul James doesn't seem a good idea to me.

Hardly.James might be a bench player for Wales but Wales have two world class first choice props.

Unfortunately James is not in that category. 1% voted for him in your pole.

Corbs would be the sensible choice and by logic the poles choice as he covers TH aswell.

Last edited by BigTrevsbigmac on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 pm

I think it very unlikely looking at the prop situation at the moment that James will tour. If the Lions tour were tomorrow and the Lions took five props I'm about 95% sure those would be Jenkins, Healy, Corbisiero, Jones and Cole. Jenkins and Corbs both cover TH to an extent (probably better than Stevens cover LH furious) so that's not a problem.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm

I beg to differ with the selection of Cole. I think he lives off a reputation that the press gave him despite the fact he has had little impact on the world stage. He is overated and should not tour with the Lions.
Adam Jones is a gem and should obviously start with the only plausable replacement being Mike Ross. Okay he dosent contribute alot around the pitch but he'll punish Kepu or Robinson in the scrum.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down