The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd

5 posters

Go down

Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd Empty Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

International trio Tom Croft, Martin Castrogiovanni and Alesana Tuilagi return to the Leicester Tigers starting XV for Friday's Aviva Premiership Round 19 match against Worcester Warriors at Welford Road.Croft and Castrogiovanni were selected among the replacements in last weekend's win at London Irish, with England back-rower Croft claiming the bonus-point try in the last minute of the game.
Tuilagi returns after missing the London Irish match due to illness and centre Anthony Allen is included in the backline for the first time since his recovery from a knee injury.

Ed Slater and Sam Harrison return to the matchday squad after injury.

Leicester Tigers (v Worcester Warriors, Welford Road, Friday 7.45pm)
15 Geordan Murphy (c)
14 Scott Hamilton
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 Anthony Allen
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Toby Flood
9 James Grindal
1 Marcos Ayerza
2 George Chuter
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Ed Slater
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Tom Croft
7 Craig Newby
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Logovi'I Mulipola
18 Dan Cole
19 Steve Mafi
20 Julian Salvi
21 Sam Harrison
22 Matt Smith
23 George Ford

Blair Cowan is recalled to the Worcester Warriors line-up and Matt Kvesic replaces Jake Abbott in the back row. Former Tigers fly-half Andy Goode is also included in the Warriors line-up.

Worcester Warriors
15 Chris Pennell
14 Marcel Garvey
13 Alex Grove
12 Dale Rasmussen
11 Miles Benjamin
10 Andy Goode
9 Shaun Perry (c)
1 Matt Mullan
2 Aleki Lutui
3 Tevita Taumoepeau
4 James Percival
5 Chris Jones
6 Sam Betty
7 Matt Kvesic
8 Blair Cowan

Replacements
16 Ed Shervington
17 Ceri Jones
18 Bruce Douglas
19 Craig Gillies
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Jonny Arr
22 Danny Gray
23 Ravai Fatiaki

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd Empty Re: Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

Good to see Harrison back. Any idea if Abbott is injured or being rested?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd Empty Re: Tigers vs Worcester Friday Night at Welford Rd

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

Interesting to see that 36 is not in the squad at all. Some sensible rotation in the pack. Will be interested to see how Slater and Kitchener go.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

Abbott is injured I think, I read somewhere it was a twisted ankle in the last game.

I'm guessing Twelvetrees is out purely because of rotation, they want to give Ford more game time and Smith covers more positions in the backs and Billy has started the last few games so is in line for a break. Good to see the Slater/Kitchener combo back.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

Who do you see as 1st choice 2nd rows now? Parling is the obvious one. Is Deacon still injured? Do you think he'll end up retiring soonish as he seems to spend a long time injured?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:40 pm

As an opposition prop, coming up against us these days is about the last thing I would want. 50-60 mins of Ayerza and Castro (this week), only to see Lupo and Cole coming on. The 4 of them together must provide the strongest depth of a set of props I have seen in a while. Also great to have Slater back who is one of the most improved players of the season.

Would have liked to see Smith start in place of Hamilton for a change, he has performed well this season but overall a good, strong team and I would hope a team that can win on Friday.

I would say it would be Slater and Parling but as with the props its a very nice problem to have with Kitchner beginning to show the potential everyone knows he has and Deacon still to come back

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm

Who do you see as 1st choice 2nd rows now? Parling is the obvious one. Is Deacon still injured? Do you think he'll end up retiring soonish as he seems to spend a long time injured?

I think the order of locks is still: Deacon, Parling, Skivington, Slater, Kitchener, Mafi, Green. Deacon is out for the season though as he seems to have no luck whatsoever with injuries but has another year on his contract so hopefully we'll see him back next season (he's teaching easter rugby courses in Leicestershire in his time off). Skivington leaving for LI should see a promotion for Slater and Kitchener with more of Mafi and Green being seen there next season as well.

Killer, the props situation is very nice indeed though it will be sad to see Whitey retire at the end of the season. Brookes will be back next year to cover and Stankovitch will be under contract as well as Harris and Bower. Lots of propping options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

Sam

On this season's performances I would have Slater and Kitchener ahead of Skivington (though I admit my viewings have been limited).

Whitey going will be sad but Lupo is helping me through the pain, haha. I haven't really seen any of Brookes, Harris or Bower though I know Brookes came with a good reputation. Of course the hooking situation is slightly more worrying, I know we have a couple of youngsters coming through but with Chuter getting on it really only leaves Youngs who I know anything about (though he obviously has a huge upside)

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

I had heard that there was some thought to (re)converting Brookes to hooker.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

Youngs, Hawkins and Stevens are the props outside of Chuter for next season. Hawkins has the serious injury (thanks Calum), we know about Youngs's potential and Stevens was briefly an England under 20s international who has had experience in the LV and with Nottingham in the Championship.

Harris and Bower came through with Stevens and Bower was at the JWC in the summer whilst Harris has had extensive game time with Notts previously. They have both played for us in the LV and made brief appearences in the league. Brookes was an England Saxon and looked to be on his way to greatness before the nasty ankle injury against Falcons ended his season early.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

All sounds promising, hopefully they can make the step up, at the best place possible to do it.

On a side note, was good to see Cole put Corbs in his place last weekend, Corbs seemed to be getting most of the credit after the last couple of England games in the scrum and Cole just reminded everyone who the daddy really is in that department.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

I thought Corbs was a little lucky that Waldrom lost control at the base of the scrum before Tigers first try. Had he not then Corbs was buckling under the pressure and the irritated referee was always going to reach for his pocket. Cole had a brilliant 6N and seems to really be flourishing at the moment, be interesting to see Castro's response to that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

Cole's work around the park has improved no end, its incredible, saw someone say they actually thought he was Englands best 7 during the 6 nations. His carrying has improved as well and he is only 24, I am so glad we got him to resign, he is only going to get better. Castro is Castro, he will see this as a challenge, he didn't turn down the money in France and the lifestyle there for nothing, he knew what he was in for when he signed and I am sure this will just spur him on.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Lets see how Mullan gets on with Castrogiovani

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

I had heard that there was some thought to (re)converting Brookes to hooker

That could be an option, though I think Cockerill prefers his hookers to be more mobile than 19/20 stone Brookes to be honest, the guy is a unit and Cockers seems to have gone for the more backrow/dynamic styles of Youngs, Duffey and Hawkins whilst he's been in charge as opposed to a massive Thompson style 2.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down