The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where next for Henson?

+33
trebellbobaggins
Ospreydragon
Cari
SecretFly
Shifty
doctor_grey
Hound_of_Harrow
gavstar
Biltong
offload
George Carlin
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
propdavid_london
CurlyOsp
Morgannwg
Cardiff Dave
EnglishReign
sugarNspikes
Poorfour
aucklandlaurie
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
Driver
LondonTiger
Coleman
Seagultaf
Liam
maestegmafia
JayMaster3000
Kingshu
3rdGrandslamCame
37 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where next for Henson?

Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap7%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap3%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap6%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap14%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 10 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap6%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap7%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap1%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap21%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 15 ]
Where next for Henson? Vote_lcap35%Where next for Henson? Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 72

Where next for Henson? Empty Where next for Henson?

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

Where is numbnuts off next?

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Where next for Henson? Empty Re: Where next for Henson?

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

I think Jason Jones Hughes (the saviour of Welsh rugby) has had more Welsh caps than Henson has had club games for his last THREE clubs!

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:01 pm

If he has ambitions of playing for Wales and hence the Lions, it would prop have to be Dragons.

Blues and O's he's blown it, Scarlets wouldn't want him

leaves only Dragons

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

I reckon London Welsh with a deal that will allow him to prance around on T.V.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

Rumours that Leicester Tigers have been interested in him replacing Twelvetrees.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:09 pm

He needs to go somewhere where he will respect the coach and vice versa, and someone who understands him. The only people that have got him playing well and on the straight and narrow were Ruddock, Lyn Jones and Gatland. I don't blame him for looking at B and B and thinking they were complete c**ks for not picking him ahead of Hewitt, Evans, Sweeney and Parks, then playing him wing and full back with a couple of players at 12. I would like him to go to London Welsh and play under Lyn, take a massive pay cut if he is truly willing to get back into rugby, get some game time at 10/12 and then hopefully find a club in the summer, maybe the Dragons or a return to the Osprey's, with perhaps some wise words from Lyn.

Really hope the guy gets a region/club, he's been messed around at the Blues and has been made a scapegoat for their financial troubles.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

I cannot believe that 4 posters on this site think that a top Welsh or English side would take on Henson now!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

JAPAN!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Rumours that Leicester Tigers have been interested in him replacing Twelvetrees.

We offered him a contract 4 years ago - which would have been a good move for him professionly and us. As we have signed Dan Bowden to replace 36, I doubt there would be an serious offer for Gav. At least I hope not.

As to the poll question - "Playgirl" perhaps.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:30 pm

Newcastle are interested , imagine Dean Richards would give him a kick up the arse
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

I'd love to see him go to Leicester. Its the sort of place he should have gone in hits early years, where they'd have knocked a bit of discipline into him. Not sure they'd take him now though. I could see him going to whichever team gets promoted into the premiership this season. He'd be a good signing for one of those teams
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:49 pm

I hope the Dragons don't touch him with the proverbial barge pole.

Lyn Jones has only ever been the one able to get best out of him so how about London Welsh
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

He needs a season under Jamie Joseph.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

Coaching Bath?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

I don't think Henson's ego would allow him to go to somewhere like London Welsh. I doubt they could afford him either.

Might be a good move, but I can't see it happening.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:55 pm

Honestly, who cares? He isn't that good and is impossible to manage, might as well hang the boots up now. Why do we give fools so much attention?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Driver - RIP 606 wrote:Newcastle are interested , imagine Dean Richards would give him a kick up the arse

My first thoughts were who could scare the living daylights out of Henson and make him behave himself.
Dean Richards was the name that sprang to mind.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:38 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I hope the Dragons don't touch him with the proverbial barge pole.

Why not? Sean Edwards was interested before. We need cover at 10/12, which he would provide. Not only that but he is a very skillful player that would hopefully a possitive effect on our guys. We wouldn't have him warming the bench behind a premiership reject and Scotland reject. I'd say he would almost certainly be in the first 22 along with players coming through such as Jones, Robling, Dixon, Amos... Not his preferred position, but could do the job at full back if required to, and we are running thin there aswell.

No big team like Leicester would have him. Aren't Newcastle in danger of being relegated?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm

Needs to get away from the Welsh media as they gun him down at every oppertunity, ignore the fact that he's one of the most talented centres in the game and fuel the unreasonable Henson hate.

Also needs to be at a club where players egos arent too big to be told if they've had a bad game. Gav's been in a lot of trouble with players that believe their own hype just because he's not afraid to speak his mind.

A French club, other than Toloun or Toulouse, probably somewhere like Castres would probably get the best out of him.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

I quite like this as a read.

Sam Warburton has spoken out about his disappointment at seeing Gavin Henson depart from the Blues but has emphasised that the incident shows rugby players of the price they will pay if they step out of line.

Henson was sacked by the Blues on Monday after another off-field incident with his apology seemingly not enough to save his career in Cardiff. With his future now uncertain, Wales skipper Warburton has spoken of the player's quality while also highlighting the need to promote a good off-field profile while turning in performances on the field.

"Players may laugh when someone calls them a role model, but that is what they are," Warburton told Wales Online. "Because most players are grounded, and don't get ahead of themselves, some still think that they can behave as their friends might down the local pub.

"But you can't. I don't think it's a case of players being arrogant when they misbehave, it's more a case that they actually forget that they are under the microscope. The small sacrifices like behaving yourself on a night out, or wherever you may be, is really a very small sacrifice.

"For me, winning a Grand Slam, something hardly anyone will experience, is priceless compared to having to sacrifice a bit of alcohol once in a blue moon. So I just think, why bother? Gavin has now left the Blues, and the Blues could still potentially win the Heineken Cup.

"It might not be a massive chance, but it is a chance all the same - and now he could miss out on that because of misbehaviour. You have to take a step back and realise what opportunities you have as a rugby player and not let them slip from your grasp because of stepping out of line."

But while Warburton is in agreement with the Blues over their decision to oust Henson, he has also lauded the player's qualities. Warburton said: "I am only 23, and still inexperienced, but when he has the ball he is just such a classy player, an incredible talent. So it is disappointing to see him go, and I'm not sure what will happen with him now.

"He seemed to be just getting things back on track. He had settled in really well at the Blues, he got on well with everyone and all the players liked him. That was never an issue. But you can't blame the Blues because they have warned us before that any misbehaviour and there would be serious consequences.

Lyn Jones on Henson: "For Gavin to be hung out to dry like this is inexcusable"

"They have backed that up with the decision on Gavin and so now everybody knows now that they can't step out of line. I've never spoken to him about any further than this season, he always seemed pretty focused on getting back to playing rugby with the Blues.

"It's anybody's guess what will happen now. I hope from a rugby perspective that he does get playing again."

While Warburton has supported the Blues' decision- others are not so pleased. Current Blues centre Casey Laulala - who will leave the region at the end of the season - spoke out against the side's decision saying on his Twitter account - in a Tweet that was later removed - of the incident involving Henson: "It wasn't bad at all. Been blown out of proportion. Club are just amateurs dealing with things."

And former Ospreys coach Lyn Jones said: "They have to be looking at who was running that trip to Glasgow, they've got to be looking at the team manager. Why was he drinking in the morning? Why didn't they stamp that out?

"Henson's not innocent - he's made a mistake, like every other player. Like Danny Care, but has he been sacked by Quins? There are several hundred examples like this.

"It took a drugs scandal in Bath to get rid of some players. For Gavin to be hung out to dry like this is inexcusable."
ESPN Scrum Staff, April 3rd, 2012 [WWW]. Can be accessed at: http://www.espnscrum.com/wales/rugby/story/162357.html

Warburton professional as ever. Most would agree with him and Lyn Jones and not with Baber. There is article on the Blues coaches opinions also on ESPN scrum.

Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 04 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

He should have taken the deal that was offered by London Welsh back when he joined Sarries.

The only way he will gain support again is but starting from scratch. Either a Welsh prem side or an English championship team. Put in the time, show commitment and see what happens.

Not likely though.......I can see his agent trying to find him a contract in Japan.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

Rumours that Leicester Tigers have been interested in him replacing Twelvetrees

As LT says Twelvetrees is replaced by Bowden and Staunton is being replaced by the promotion of Ford. There are no 10/12 places for him at Tigers. I'm not sure he'd a)get into the first team or b)survive under Richard Cockerill. They'd be no commuting to Leicester he would be expected to live near by and make every training session, no time off for tv work. Committment would need to be 100% and salary would be pretty low (not a lot of salary cap and Twelvetrees was only offered around £100k). Not a move Gav would be brave enough to take and one Tigers wouldn't be interested in. They are after an inexpensive fb/utility back if you believe the rumours but with youngsters Forsyth (centre/fb) and Lewington (wing/fb) both signing new deals they just back those two.

London Welsh, Sale, Newcastle, Dragons or off to Japan are his options. Newcastle and Sale will be hard for him as the men in charge will not take kindly to messing about (expect Lewsey on Cips style mentoring as opposed to verbal warnings) and the Dragons will not waste money on him if he isn't doing the job. I agree with propdavid, he will run off to Japan and fill his boots before retirement.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:24 pm

Sale would be my tip. If they're willing to take a chance on Cipriani then why not Henson? Both are trouble, but both are extremely talented (and the weaknesses in Cipriani's game could be in some way masked with Henson at 12).

Alot of ego there to manage, but it really could pay off if managed well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Sale would be my tip. If they're willing to take a chance on Cipriani then why not Henson? Both are trouble, but both are extremely talented (and the weaknesses in Cipriani's game could be in some way masked with Henson at 12).

Alot of ego there to manage, but it really could pay off if managed well.
Isn't the danger the'y just lead each other astray? Or you could make it really funny and appoint buggyman Powell as both their minder! Erm Shocked

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Maybe Melbourne Rebels?

I don't think he'll go to Japan, going to Japan means that no chance of being on the Lions tour (unless he's selected for the Ba Baa's team to play them).

I think he wants back in the Welsh team and on that tour, so Dragons, or England or maybe France. However top teams will be wary of him.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:40 pm

It would be quite a dressing room atmosphere! Must say, I'd be intrigued to see it happen, and I'd certainly be watching more of Sale next year were they to attempt to pull it off.

The other option we haven't mentioned is Edinburgh. Henson could move up there and polish Matt Scott's boots before each game!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

It would have to be a club where the head coach would be strong enough to kick his backside or a French club where they wouldn't think twice about sacking his silly, fluroscent orange arse.

The problem with suggesting the Jeff is that everyone saw what went on at Sarries. Henson has shown loyalty to nobody but himself. And possibly the Clarins exfoliation range.

He seems to be in the sport for the wrong reasons and that will stick in the craw of a number of top coaches.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

Connacht could be an option, Elwood would keep him under control, and in Connacht there isn't many ways to get in trouble.

Drinking at 7am is normal, he'd maybe be in trouble for not getting up earlier to drink.

More I think about it the more Connacht makes sense, esp if his contact includes a not allowed in Dublin clause (exect for games then straight home)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:16 pm

Kingshu wrote:Maybe Melbourne Rebels?

I don't think he'll go to Japan, going to Japan means that no chance of being on the Lions tour (unless he's selected for the Ba Baa's team to play them).

I think he wants back in the Welsh team and on that tour, so Dragons, or England or maybe France. However top teams will be wary of him.

His international career was over before this incident. Hell not pay for Wales or the Lions again. No excuse for Henson, he's not a kid and the only person responsible for his decisions is himself. HOWEVER, the Blues are a joke and who else there is getting fired for allowing professionals who work for them to get on a plane drunk. Unbelievable lack of management.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:19 pm

Has there ever been a player with so much promise and so little discipline that has recieved so much attention?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:42 pm

His international career was over before this incident. Hell not pay for Wales or the Lions again.

With Jamie Roberts down and Scott Williams also injured (how serious is that?) he could find a way in. After all he is a favourite of the head coach. Problem for him now is he needs to find a new club and very quickly show some form and class before the end of the season. If I were his agent I'd be on the phone to Diamond at Sale begging for a trial until the end of the season as Sale have issues at 10/12 which Cipriani is being signed to fix for next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

biltongbek wrote:Has there ever been a player with so much promise and so little discipline that has recieved so much attention?
Only Rupeni Caucau springs to mind.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

Darn, so he isn't even unique in that aspect. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

according to tonights evening post , front page no less, the south wales scorpions rugby league based at the gnoll are making enquiries.

so sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:54 pm

Connacht, only realastic option

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:23 am

Kingshu wrote:Connacht could be an option, Elwood would keep him under control, and in Connacht there isn't many ways to get in trouble.

Drinking at 7am is normal, he'd maybe be in trouble for not getting up earlier to drink.

More I think about it the more Connacht makes sense, esp if his contact includes a not allowed in Dublin clause (exect for games then straight home)

Sorry, I don't care what player we are on about, but this made me Laugh

Surely yer man would fit into a new reality show called Strictly Come Drinking.

All joking aside, it's a shame Henson just cannot seem to knuckle down and get on with what it takes to be a pro rugby player.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 08 Apr 2012, 2:26 am

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:All joking aside, it's a shame Henson just cannot seem to knuckle down and get on with what it takes to be a pro rugby player.
I know this is going to come off badly, but I think he needs to knuckle down with what it takes to be a man.

What a waste of fantastic talent.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

I think the Ospreys are going to sign him.

Scott Johnson didn't want him there but Cuddy does love the guy. Henson was doing ok until he left the Ospreys, it all went wrong from there, so I assume he will go back to where he started. He could still play for another 2-3 seasons, if he has the heart for it.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:50 am

He's tried Wales, England and France.

I said it before that I think an Irish side would cut the crap out of him and allow him the opportunity to prove himself where he should, and I believe still can, prove himself - on the field.

I think a lot of Henson's personality downfall is in him being a smartass and other players in England, Wales and France knowing his reputation by now and just not prepared to tolerate it (drink or no drink taken). I think Irish players are renowned for their sense of verbal divilment themselves...I think they'd chew up Henson's more exalted sense of self. They'd verbally knock him back down and rebuild him as one of them - and the important bit, I think they'd actually enjoy it (the micky-taking). I think they'd tolerate more of his mannerisms, but equally more would be demanded of him during training and gametime. I actually think he too would enjoy it because despite the reputation, I believe a lot of his activity is a lot of tongue-in-cheek stuff that I simply think overly-serious colleagues don't get or want to get.

I could be all wrong and he might indeed be unsalvagable, but I do think he could seriously be reborn in Ireland as a player.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

Although Henson would thrive under Lyn Jones at London Welsh, Jones already stated that the club just couldn't afford him so there's no chance of him going there.

Not many suggesting him going to a SH club? That might work, but then again, what could a club down there do that no one's tried here? Personally I voted "No club". I think he needs to knock it on the head now. It seems his heart's just not in rugby anymore, so why bother carrying on? It seems that no matter where he goes, his rugby suffers.

Alyn - I hope you're very wrong about him coming to the Os. We don't need him anyway.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

David Flatman's article on Henson in the Independent. It pretty much sums up what most people think.

Apparently as a new member I can't post a link so you'll have to google it Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

sugarNspikes, the article is here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/david-flatman-some-role-models-fall-short--why-does-it-make-us-angry-7626931.html?origin=internalSearch

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 08 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

Willy Wonka employs orange people if that helps? they tend to mess about a lot too.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Sun 08 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

Henson is no longer a topic for rugby discussion, surely no club would touch him now unless he worked for peanuts.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:22 pm

I'm afraid very afraid.....SIM is going, Bruce craig has a huge bank balance and a penchant for buying expensive yet over the hill rugby players. Henson needs to be near Wales and apparently ollie barkley may be off to JApan with matt carraro already off.....bath and henson ??? to be honest i really dont want to see that Tinkywinky in the bath colours.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Where next for Henson?

On the Dole. Maybe.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:45 pm

Ospreydragon wrote:sugarNspikes, the article is here:
Thanks, OspreyDragon Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:55 am

Elegant, articulate insertion of the knife by Brian Moore in the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/9179280/Gavin-Hensons-sorry-career-will-be-seen-as-a-Shakespearean-tragedy-about-which-we-no-longer-wish-to-hear.html

Not sure that it's scientifically possible for me to agree more.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

I read somewhere that the BLUES was in financial difficulties, and that was just one of the reasons that they terminated Henson from the Blues.

But surely with Henson not playing TOP FLIGHT RUGBY in the last 2/3 years, he cannot demand sutch an high salery that would cause the Cardiff Blues to have financial problems. Could he?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

maj - ever stopped and thought just for a moment, that you shouldn't believe everything you read on here as fact then go and repeat it? Broken Record

You're out of your depth on a rugby forum. Find a new hobby.
Doh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next