The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

+24
hodge
trebellbobaggins
dummy_half
Stella
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
Liam
msp83
liverbnz
Fists of Fury
alfie
hampo17
mystiroakey
eirebilly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShahenshahG
Mad for Chelsea
Luke
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Carrotdude
Shelsey93
Biltong
Duty281
28 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not too early for this is it? After their 'heroic' defeat last Thursday, England will need a win to tie the series and preserve their no.1 ranking while Sri Lanka need a win or tie to win the series.

England's preparations haven't been helped by the fact that Broad will miss out due to injury while Sri Lanka's have been boosted by the news that Mathews will return from injury. Cricinfo predicts the following line-ups with two changes for each team:

Sri Lanka (probable) 1 Lahiru Thirimanne, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara, 4 Mahela Jaywardene, 5 Thilan Samaraweera, 6 Angelo Mathews, 7 Prasanna Jayawardene, 8 Suraj Randiv, 9 Rangana Herath, 10 Dhammila Prasad, 11 Suranga Lakmal.

England (probable) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Samit Patel, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steve Finn.

The pressure is really on Andrew Strauss, for his batting (justified) and his captaincy (unjustified). England's batsmen will also be feeling the heat as well - they haven't made over 400 so far this winter!

Keep an eye out for the rain, some is predicted on the first day. Game starts at 5:30 BST. Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

Bresnan strikes ! Full and straight OK

Needed that ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

GONE! Samaraweera plays all around a straight full ball from Bresnan and that is pretty plumb LBW I think. well bowled Bresnan, Samaraweera expecting the shorter ball, Bresnan out-thought him clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

Finally

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

You beauty Bresnan!!!!!!!! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:05 am

Just as well the umpire put the finger up ...

Hawk eye shows impact at stumps only "umpires call"
(Looked more definite than that in real time)

Goes to show That even with drs there is still an element of luck with decisions...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:06 am

Better over from Swann.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:08 am

alfie wrote:Just as well the umpire put the finger up ...

Hawk eye shows impact at stumps only "umpires call"
(Looked more definite than that in real time)

Goes to show That even with drs there is still an element of luck with decisions...

yeah well slightly (about half a millimetre) less than half the ball was judged to have been hitting the stumps. As a bowler you'd be livid if you didn't get that decision go your way TBH, the fact Samaraweera didn't really think about a review shows that...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

I wonder if Jayawardena doesn't have an English grandmother, if he did this match and series would have been easily won by england. Wink

On a more serious note, Jayawardena is really hurting the english here, it seems he will again be the catalyst to get Sri Lanka close to another 300 run first innings.

Probably too early to say for sure, but the way it is going...
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

No way Jayawardene is getting out today.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

i dont like the way, Flower went into the 3rd umpire room after the review was turned down.....there wasnt any conclusive evidence to change the decision, and also its not up to flower, tis up to the 3rd umpire..maybe some cracks showing there from flower.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:14 am

Oh absolutely , Mfc

My point was that if the on field umpire hadn't been convinced , the batsman would have survived , and England would have lost a referall had they reviewed it , despite it being well enough out...

I have wondered if they might tweak the rules so the fielding team doesn't lose a review when they miss out due only to the umpires call margin...trouble is that would encourage more fishing expeditions...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

cricketfan90 wrote:i dont like the way, Flower went into the 3rd umpire room after the review was turned down.....there wasnt any conclusive evidence to change the decision, and also its not up to flower, tis up to the 3rd umpire..maybe some cracks showing there from flower.

Yes I thought that looked a bit confrontational ... Suppose he is entitled to ask a question , but I would imagine one cannot show actual dissent in the TV room any more than a player can on the field...

Depends what was actually said really.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

should have asked the question at an interval. or when he knows the cameras arent watching.....very silly from flower IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:40 am

Flower might have just been seeking clarification to be fair, something along the lines of "did you hear the two noises? not enough evidence to overturn?" or whatever. One thing I'd like to see changed with the DRS is the umpires mike to be switched on so that the commentators and those watching on TV can hear, I think it would save some guesswork as to how umpires arrive at certain decisions...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

Agree with that MFC. Very harsh to judge what was said between Flower and the 3rd umpire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

Anderson bowling a superb spell with the old ball right now. I think we can safely say that Anderson has dismissed any remaining concerns over his ability in the subcontinent this winter.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

Is the ball showing any signs of reverse swing MFC?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

yes LK the ball is reversing enough now.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

Interesting patch of play . Some very good bowling (great short spell from Jimmy!) but no wicket yet , although enough happening to keep England on their toes...

Sometimes you have to give credit to the opponents ,and Sri Lanka have battled back well from that dreadful start.

Just have a feeling if one wicket goes we might see a few follow...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

A wicket within the next 4 overs. Lets see if it works again Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:37 am

This partnership is building nicely. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

eirebilly wrote:A wicket within the next 4 overs. Lets see if it works again Wink

Not a chance , billy

They're here for the day. Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

Well played Jayawardene clap

Another great hand today ... His batting in these two Tests has covered for the failures of the top order perfectly. This could be a series clinching innings...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

England are bowling perfectly well, it's just the pitch is fairly flat and Sri Lanka's batsmen are batting well and not gifting their wickets. SL on top but a wicket would change things.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

I don't like Swann's field, he's had men back everywhere since Matthews came in.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

Mike Selig wrote:England are bowling perfectly well, it's just the pitch is fairly flat and Sri Lanka's batsmen are batting well and not gifting their wickets. SL on top but a wicket would change things.

I'd agree with that. The trouble for England is that it may not be playing so well when they get to the crease...

New ball in four might make a difference - would love to get one before that but these two are playing very soundly

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

I hope England learn from this innings. Patience will be rewarded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

comment on cricinfo.

Swann to DPMD Jayawardene, 1 run, 84.2 kph, wider on the crease, drifting in, flicked through square leg by the destroyer of Englishmen Jayawardene laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

The game seems to be going as per the previous test, except perhaps there will be more runs on the board by the time England come in to bat.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

The patience has been remarkable. One expects it from Jayawardene but Mathews isn't always so careful.

It is quite an absorbing contest.

KP on - worth a try before the new ball...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

I was just thinking give Pietersen an over or two leading up to the new ball...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm

Nice variation from Swann ... Beats Jayawardene..

And follows up trappimg him lbw !!!!
Great bowling clap

Top innings over ...

And now the new ball is due ... Game swinging ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

Well well... hitting the stumps that low? Anyway nice piece of bowling by Swann, following his drifter the previous ball with a sharp spinning off-break and Jayawardene has to go.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

alfie wrote:The patience has been remarkable. One expects it from Jayawardene but Mathews isn't always so careful.

It is quite an absorbing contest.

KP on - worth a try before the new ball...

I would disagree with you alfie.

Matthews was a thorn in our side during their trip here in the summer.

He batted patiently for long periods.

1st test he got 38 off 89 balls, second test 30 off 66, and in the third test 63 off 200 balls when all around him fell apart.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

Wasting no time getting the new ball on...I might have been tempted to let Swann have one more , in fact I thought that was happening when KP bowled a second over.

Still Jimmy has a great new ball record this series ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Fair point Biltong , I do recall him playing those hands now you mention it.

I have it in my mind I've seen him play a few rash ones too , but I may be getting mixed up with the ODI game.

I actually rate Matthews ... Pity he can't bowl now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm

A few Sri Lankan fans were unhappy about Matthews replacing Chandimal today , but he has gone a fair way towards justifying his place here.

Looked a bit shaky at first but he settled down to play an important role.

England really want one more wicket tonight ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:31 pm

FINNY GETS PRASSANA!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

Gottttiiiiiimmmmmmmmmm

Finn gets a very well deserved wicket, he's really bent his back and gets one to lift off back of a length to Jayawardene who feathers a catch through to Prior. Big wicket which exposes the tail to the new ball. Can England restrict Sri Lanka to around 260?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

...and here it is!

Well bowled Finn clap

Good wicket to get P Jayawardene now...

Day now even at least - get another and it will really be England's ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm

alfie wrote:A few Sri Lankan fans were unhappy about Matthews replacing Chandimal today , but he has gone a fair way towards justifying his place here.

That is a bit silly, Matthews has been one of their better players in recent times and showing again today that he's a good number 6.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

whereas Chandimal... let's just say I've seen better shots to get out than the one he played in the first innings of the last game. Missed the last couple of wickets, but it seems Jayawardene wasn't happy with his, any idea why?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

I think The main issue was that since he couldn't bowl some people felt he should not have been allowed to push Chandimal out .

Chandimal has won a few fans among the Sri Lankan community , who might have got a bit ahead of themselves Smile

As I say , I rate Mathews myself .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:49 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:whereas Chandimal... let's just say I've seen better shots to get out than the one he played in the first innings of the last game. Missed the last couple of wickets, but it seems Jayawardene wasn't happy with his, any idea why?

Thought it was too high I think. I'd tend to agree with him, top of the knee-roll with a decent stride. A bit like Panesar first innings previous test. England apart from Swann didn't appeal very strongly.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:whereas Chandimal... let's just say I've seen better shots to get out than the one he played in the first innings of the last game. Missed the last couple of wickets, but it seems Jayawardene wasn't happy with his, any idea why?

Thought it was too high I think. I'd tend to agree with him, top of the knee-roll with a decent stride. A bit like Panesar first innings previous test. England apart from Swann didn't appeal very strongly.

Swann made up for that with his appeal ... Operatic is the word Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:57 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

Jayawardene could have referred it, did Jayawardene refer it? If there was any doubt he surely would have referred it considering the importance of his wicket to Sri Lanka.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

So a pretty even day , no?

If England can wrap it up cheaply tomorrow they'll be very pleased , but that will have to wait to the morning...

A word for Prior : two nice catches , first up and late in the day , and he has done nothing wrong on between , in hot and trying conditions. As well as his good solid batting , he has become a very accomplished keeper .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
Mike Selig wrote:

Jayawardene could have referred it, did Jayawardene refer it? If there was any doubt he surely would have referred it considering the importance of his wicket to Sri Lanka.

He did refer it. Hawke-eye had the ball hitting the stumps comfortably.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

so a solid, workmanlike performance from England in the field today. Kept on going throughout, and bowled well. They'll look to wrap it up quickly tomorrow and then hopefully (finally) produce a good batting performance.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:03 pm

I think it is advantage england, as long as they can get into the tail early tomorrow, they don't want Sri Lanka to get over 300 here.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next