The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking?

+19
21st Century Schizoid Man
Biltong
Cymroglan
beshocked
Bathite
bathmad
LondonTiger
gowales
formerly known as Sam
HERSH
funnyExiledScot
mckay1402
Portnoy
yappysnap
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
Artful_Dodger
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking? - Page 2 Empty Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

First topic message reminder :

This morning's (London) Times are reporting that Ian McGeechan's position as DOR at Bath is in the balance following the 26-6 home loss to Northampton with owner Bruce Craig contemplating an overhaul of the coaching set up. An announcement is expected in the next day or two.

The Times are linking South Africans Nick Mallett and Gary Gold with the Bath DOR role, while also speculating about LI's Mike Catt and Toby Booth.

They go on to speculate about McGeechan taking a more hands-on role with the 2013 Lions

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking?

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Bathite, looking at that squad I'd say either Bath need to get Beech to a summer scrummaging school or sign another loosehead as sadly Flatman's shoulder injury is a serious problem for him at the scrum (what happened to the Jenkins rumours?). Neither of those tightheads will be of worry to most AP scrums.

Second row combo of Attwood and Caldwell is good at ball carrying but unimpressive at the lineout. Hooper needs to find some form or be replaced, what's Day like? A possible lineout leader? If not Wentzel on a short term deal could be ideal from Wasps.

Backrow is lacking a 7 and could do with ditching Taylor. He must be expensive to keep and I don't think I've ever seen him play well for Bath. Might be worth seeing if you can nick Ben Woods or Craig Newby off of Leicester to help at 7. Shame Bath didn't get Haskell as he would have fit in well with those other backrow options.

Half backs are alright though I think Donald is a waste of cash but the centres are unimpressive. Vesty and Barkley have both seen better days and Hipkiss will never last a whole season with his knee issues. Wasps would be a good hunting ground if their financial woes continue with Daly and Waldouck being good Bath style players. Back three options are fine though if I were a Bath scout Tommy Bell at Leeds a 10/12/15 England under 20 international would be on my list.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking?

Post by Cymroglan Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:12 pm

thumbsup

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Right Sam, i'm going list format as you raised so many points!

Flatman - valid point
Beech - also valid point and Geech's son in law for anyone that didn't know! Another great signing from Geech
Jenkins - was keen on coming, agreed terms as marquee signing, but Geech said no, as we already had Beech, Catt and Flats there, so not value for money, another great Geech decision
Taylor - had a blinding first half of the season mate, was best player up until christmas. Not on a big contract, got released from Stade and good lineout option
Back row - I agree with you, should be some cash floating about though to help out Louw, who is a beast
Donald - seems that way so far, well done Geech. We had to panic buy though after Carter didn't work out, but Heathcote looks great
Centres - Barkley needs to find some form definitely and hopefully a fully fit Hipkiss can come good. Just let our best centre leave in Carraro, year on his contract as well. Braindead mgmt again.
Vesty - not a bad back up at 10 12 15, but not a starter
Waldouck - not convinced at all
Tommy Bell - talk to me, what's he all about, never heard of him.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Wasps would be a good hunting ground if their financial woes continue

The word is that Wasps have got a buyer, but on the conditition they stay up!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Tommy Bell - talk to me, what's he all about, never heard of him.

Plays 15 for Leeds but is in fact a young 10 learning his trade, think he's also played a bit of 12 for them as well. Played 10 during the 6N for the England under 20s whilst Heathcote and Ford were squaring off in the LV Semi Final. Don't know a great deal about him but I've heard positive things and if he's getting into the England under 20s team whilst in the Championship (getting regular game time in the Championship) he might be worth a punt, especially if Leeds are spending another season in Championship.

The word is that Wasps have got a buyer, but on the conditition they stay up!

No pressure Dai! I heard there were 3 interested parties but even with new money coming in there still might be some deals to be done as Wasps need to look at rebuilding following a horriffic injury spell.

Donald - seems that way so far, well done Geech. We had to panic buy though after Carter didn't work out, but Heathcote looks great

Carter was daydream stuff though. He won't leave on another sabatical without the guarentee of over £500k. That makes him financially unviable for an AP club. I thought Geraghty would have been a good value buy for Bath as he likes to play the Bath way and would have been a cheap rebound following his release by Saints. Would have eased the panic buying over Donald. Having said that the fly half market is pretty dead at the moment so anyone in desperate need of signing a 10 is likely to struggle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Robinson for Bath - pleeeeze !

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Tommy Bell is a Sale player at loan to Leeds isn't he. Not sure how he fits into Sale's plans

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Does anyone know how Geraghty is doing in France?

Bath need new props, a new line-out option, and a new centres and better coaching. It would also help if Bath knew whether Eastmond was going to make a successful conversion to union as he might solve one of the centre issues.

Still an attractive option for a coach given the money and the set-up they are trying to build. If I were Mallet I'd take it just in case SL struggles - got to be good for your knowledge of the English game!

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Don't think Eastmond will make a centre to be honest, he's tiny. Winger or Full back to start off with. Was meant to play for the A's against the Navy last night, named at 15, but wasn't on the match report. Another last minute injury i guess, very frustrating.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm

I reckon Eastmond could become a Shane Williams type winger who goes off his wing into first and second receiver during the game.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Yeah maybe right, let's hope so, he's a physical little terrier and has a kicking game, including place kicking, so lets see. If only he was fit for more than a week!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks for the effort Geech, but Bath need a mover and shaker, personally I've always been a big fan of Booth, if he brings Catt back with him and entices Armitage S. back from France that would be a hell of a start for next year.

I quite fancy a backrow of Louw, Armitage and Fearns...

Achhh, dream, dream dream. Ian McGeechan: Dead man walking? - Page 2 2650018817
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 am

Cheika is in the mix. Good man to get ye to a higher level and build the solid base Craig is looking for. Then, move him upstairs. He gets grumpy after a bit and starts playing negative rugby.

Dunno who Gary Gold is, so its Cheika then? He is his own man. Bath would have no choice but to scale the heights again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0404/1224314381653.html
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

If Gold ends up at Bath and Richards at Newcastle how gutted with Bath fans be the owners didn't move 4 weeks earlier to push McGeechan out?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2