The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports

+7
kwinigolfer
ScottieD18
mystiroakey
Skydriver
super_realist
McLaren
John Cregan
11 posters

Go down

Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports Empty Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports

Post by Guest Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:22 am

I just wanted to let golfing fans know that this is on in the build up to the Masters. I watched it last night and it was a heart warming 30 minutes. Raymond Floyd, Hale Irwin, Tony Jacklin and David Stockton are offering some real lovely words on Jack. Having watched many documentaries around Jack, I felt this one was a nice personal touch and really spoke of Jack the person as well as the golfer.

You cannot help but just warm to the guy. A true great and gentleman of the sporting world.

Back to top Go down

Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports Empty Re: Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports

Post by John Cregan Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

Even Super Realist would struggle to say anything derogatory about Jack..........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports Empty Re: Jack Nicklaus - The Greatest Sky Sports

Post by McLaren Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

John

Even if super cant I will give it a go. The guy is a pretty poor architect who has failed to acknowledge the great work some of his associates have done for him. His best courses have all been the work of his underlings, and everyone knows it, yet he still thinks he can get away with taking the credit. I have to assume he is living a delusion when it comes to his skills and reputation as an architect.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

Well, he seems like a gentleman but I can't stand his horrid putting style.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

I like him, but recall he was criticised for refusing to participate in the former champions' mini-tournament held on the eve of the 2010 Open at St Andrews - he allegedly said something like "I won't play unless my sponsors insist." As it turned out, Seve couldn't make it (which was the main point of this thing for a lot of people) and weather forced cancellation of the event anyway.

Incidentally, I picked up a DVD as part of a very cheap box set just after Xmas called "Yes sir!", being a documentary behind JN's final major victory at the 1986 Masters. It's actually very good, I'd say.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

i read his autobiography as a kid- he seems very set in his ways- however how can we not respect him!

most sporting greats arent the most warming people to the masses and jack is no different, but obviously compared to tiger he is the voice of reason

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

Skydriver wrote:I like him, but recall he was criticised for refusing to participate in the former champions' mini-tournament held on the eve of the 2010 Open at St Andrews - he allegedly said something like "I won't play unless my sponsors insist." As it turned out, Seve couldn't make it (which was the main point of this thing for a lot of people) and weather forced cancellation of the event anyway.

Incidentally, I picked up a DVD as part of a very cheap box set just after Xmas called "Yes sir!", being a documentary behind JN's final major victory at the 1986 Masters. It's actually very good, I'd say.

Saw that on ESPN Classic. I enjoyed it immensly. His son did so well in narrating. The way the whole last day un-folded was pure and utter drama.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

When Jack first came on the scene he wasn't well liked by the US fans because they didn't like this rather chubby young guy beating their favourites, especially Palmer. Jack did well to win the fans round probably because he's a good guy.

On the other hand, Tiger started out as everyone's favourite and slowly lost fans over the years. Can we assume it's becuase he basically isn't a very nice guy.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

ScottieD18 wrote:When Jack first came on the scene he wasn't well liked by the US fans because they didn't like this rather chubby young guy beating their favourites, especially Palmer. Jack did well to win the fans round probably because he's a good guy.

On the other hand, Tiger started out as everyone's favourite and slowly lost fans over the years. Can we assume it's becuase he basically isn't a very nice guy.

I think his private life should've stayed just that. The whole PR statement thing he did was just cringeworthy. He took a leaf out of the Clinton book. He didn't need to do that. Even before that I think people felt him to be 'disingenuous' I know my friends who are into their golf just felt there was something about him that they couldn't warm to. I guess because they never saw him pay compliments to players on the fairway and that he was just too 'competitive' so it prevents him in ways of connecting with people. Jack always knew how to connect with the people because they felt he was genuine and also someone that made you feel comfortable.

Don't get me wrong they love Tiger's game and love watching him play, but the fact fellow pro's have nothing to say in terms of how he is on the course, players in the past always said that Jack would always comment on how nervous he was on course in front of people and whether your an amateur or pro or major winner that is reassuring to know that if your nervous that a guy of Jack's stature is nervous, it makes you feel a lot at ease with yourself, the course and the players playing with you. I have never heard anything like that said of Tiger.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

Jack seems to care about other golfers- in woods mind- its all about him, however was jack the same in his prime, maybe woods will become more chilled out in his age, that or just retire when he isnt good enough to win

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Wonder if they asked Peter Thomson about Nicklaus. A GolfWorld article two weeks ago quoted the Aussie as saying:
"Jack Nicklaus has the biggest ego I have ever come across. I think I'll leave it at that."

Lots of respect on this keyboard for Peter Thomson - wish he'd amplify this a little.
Was it meant to be complimentary?

And, if as seems likely, not meant as a compliment, WHY??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:29 pm

Always leave them wanting more Kwini, which is exactly what Thomson has done there. He has made his point and doesnt feel a need to expand on it which adds a bit of intrigue as well.
Im sure Nicklaus had a massive ego and self belief back in the day, all the top guys in any sport seem to have that, goes with the territory really.
As for things to criticise about Nicklaus these days there doesnt seem much but he does have a bit of a silly voice which grates a bit after a while.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GT350 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 6:02 am

One big difference when assessing what was/is said about Nicklaus and what is said about Woods is that Nicklaus' career is long over, while Woods potentially has another 8 - 10 years to play. Following that, he may write books, design courses, continue with charity work, build a childrens hospital....who knows? My point is that he has 20 - 30 years to change the public perception of his personality (if he wants to), and 20 years after he has played his last major, people either won't recall or won't care so much about the negatives. They have a habit of doing that.

GT350

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

Jack Nicklaus once, if my memory is correct, conceeded a 30foot putt to Tony Jacklin in one Ryder Cup to halve the match and possibly the whole competition (although I am not sure about that second statement) Seems like he is a sportsman.... all champions are slightly unpopular....look at Faldo. The best are always a bit aloof

PS Good to be back. Had IT problems

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:12 am

haystongolfer wrote:Jack Nicklaus once, if my memory is correct, conceeded a 30foot putt to Tony Jacklin in one Ryder Cup to halve the match and possibly the whole competition (although I am not sure about that second statement) Seems like he is a sportsman.... all champions are slightly unpopular....look at Faldo. The best are always a bit aloof

PS Good to be back. Had IT problems

yeah but we could lok at it another way. that JN felt bigger than the team- why should it be down to him to conceade a ryder cup win but not the whole team or even whole country. And at the same time it was ait patronizing to the european side and tony jacklin .. All the same top golfer, top bloke, cocky as hell mind as all champs are!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

30 foot...my goodness that putt has grown fivefold over the years.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

yeah lol it was a 7 footer or something wasnt it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down