The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berdych's Chances To Be Number One

+7
LuvSports!
bogbrush
Jeremy_Kyle
Tenez
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
hawkeye
11 posters

Go down

Berdych's Chances To Be Number One Empty Berdych's Chances To Be Number One

Post by hawkeye Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Murray reckons he's got a shot at the number one. Fair enough...

But what about Berdych? He perhaps has at least as good a chance as Murray based on his record in slams against the top 4 players. Berdych has also proved his worth on hard, clay and grass having won titles on all surfaces. He may not have the most exciting style to watch but he has definately proved that he can be a threat.

Berdych has beaten both Djokovic and Federer at Wimbledon reaching the final in 2010. He pushed Nadal really hard in the quarter finals of the Australian Open this year. He had good chances to take a two sets to love lead only losing the second set in a tie breaker.

Berdych has played Djokovic three times this year and the scores have been very close (taking a set on two occasions) but Berdych had to retire with injury on two occasions. He has the sort of flat heavy hitting style of game that can bother Nadal. Since 2010 Berdych has a 3-2 H2H with Federer. Berdych has a winning 3-2 H2H with Murray beating him in straight sets on the only occasion they played in a slam (RG 2010).

In 2011 during the clay swing, RG and Wimbledon he did poorly by his standards and only has 550 points to defend during this whole period. Clearly he has a lot to gain...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Berdych's Chances To Be Number One Empty Re: Berdych's Chances To Be Number One

Post by laverfan Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Lost to Dimitrov in Miami 2012, Almagro in IW 2012, some unknown player in Dubai (Laugh), won Montpellier.

You also forgot Ferrer, Tsonga, Fish, Tipsarevic, Del Potro and Isner also have a shot at #1 soon. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 pm

But what about Berdych?
comedian
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 pm

laverfan.

I think you are being a bit mean to laugh at Berdych's losses. Of course he doesn't have the consistancy of the top three otherwise he would be there already. I certainly don't consider a loss to Almagro to be something to be ashamed of!

Del Potro he has already won a slam so lot's have already talked up his chances. I would like nothing better than for Ferrer to win a slam but unlike Berdych he seldom brings his best out in slams. IMO the others you mentioned are not threats.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 pm

hawkeye wrote:I think you are being a bit mean to laugh at Berdych's losses.

I am never mean to a Tennis player. Wink

hawkeye wrote:Of course he doesn't have the consistancy of the top three otherwise he would be there already.

... and you are still talking about Berdych's chances to be #1. censored

hawkeye wrote:I certainly don't consider a loss to Almagro to be something to be ashamed of!

... you quickly side-stepped the loss to ATP #101 Dimitrov. Laugh (Are you going to mention IW 2012 and Giraldo now?)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Checking Tomas Berdych's record in the slams, one really cannot sustain any argument for him breaking through much beyond his current ranking. His record last year in the Masters series was his best ever overall with four quarter-finals and two semi-finals, but no finals and no wins. Although he can be dangerous in any individual match, he is rarely able to sustain it over a tournament, especially a slam tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Yes. HE could have chosen Stepanek instead. We would have got the meaning of her post as well..maybe less confusing.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Naughty naughty VMP
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I think HE is equating Murrays chances to Berdych. I don't agree, but the point is that Murray does nothing to damage the big boys at Slams.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 pm

this is getting kinda old now.....

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 am

bogbrush wrote:I think HE is equating Murrays chances to Berdych. I don't agree, but the point is that Murray does nothing to damage the big boys at Slams.

Yeah, but our cerebral friend isn't talking about the Slams. For instance it's feasible (albeit extremely unlikely) for Murray to be No.1 by continuing to get to the Slam SF's and win a host of Masters if the others then shared the Slams

Considering we're still waiting for Thomas to win his first Masters at the age of nearly 27 - we see yet another article totally disrespecting the achievements of Andy

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Not really, he's just putting Andys achievements in a negative light. Most would disagree and if so the poster will acquire reputation of erroneous posting. Plus, if you're so inclined, this poster has an Achilles Heel so you can reciprocate if you wish.

What I really want to know is what happened to Tenez's 'Nadals Slippery Slope' thread. It appears to have been removed, which is unjustified unless critical analysis is no longer allowed. If the pursuit of positivity is to include outlawing that type of reasoned, rational analysis then this place will die in no time. The most interesting posters place stimulating articles like that and leaving us with nothing more than Davic Cup threads and fawning articles will see me off in no time.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by keftedaki Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:40 pm

bogbrush wrote:Not really, he's just putting Andys achievements in a negative light. Most would disagree and if so the poster will acquire reputation of erroneous posting. Plus, if you're so inclined, this poster has an Achilles Heel so you can reciprocate if you wish.

What I really want to know is what happened to Tenez's 'Nadals Slippery Slope' thread. It appears to have been removed, which is unjustified unless critical analysis is no longer allowed. If the pursuit of positivity is to include outlawing that type of reasoned, rational analysis then this place will die in no time. The most interesting posters place stimulating articles like that and leaving us with nothing more than Davic Cup threads and fawning articles will see me off in no time.

clap

keftedaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:53 pm

fine i'll move it back once i delete some posts off it.
But if anyone else accuses another member of being racist then bans will be handed out without any warnings.

Last edited by Gav on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:22 pm

With the sort of the articles swirling around in this quiet week on the main Tour, it's hard to know which are intended as serious and which are not.

Berdych broke into the top ten a couple of years ago and has shown enough consistency to stay there so far. But within a few months he will be 27, and during his career to date has made one Slam final (which he lost in straights) and just one semi. He has one Masters title to his name (banbrotam - i think you may have forgotten his win in Paris back in 2005 ...?). Hardly the sort of record to herald potential for an imminent rise to the exalted status of Number One.

There can't be many players who have made the top spot - for the first time - much beyond Berdych's current age. Thomas Muster springs to mind, but I'm not sure if there (m)any others .....?? Headscratch

Tomas Berdych is obviously a great player, but - based on his overall record to date - I don't feel it would be unkind to liken him to what in premiership football parlance might be described as a 'respectable mid-table team' .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Berdych has just been reported as saying in an interview in his native language of Czechia that if he hadn't have been born in an era when there were better players than himself, like in this multiple goats of all time era, known as the Fedalokivicourrayottrotsonga era, then he would have already been number one for 8 years and would have won at least 24 grand slams and would have been the heavyweight champ of the world for all time.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 am

Berdych does beat Tipsarevic in three TB sets and puts CZE through to the DC SF.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 am

lags72 wrote:(banbrotam - i think you may have forgotten his win in Paris back in 2005 ...?).

Sorry lags, forgot about that

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:22 am

laverfan wrote:Berdych does beat Tipsarevic in three TB sets and puts CZE through to the DC SF.

I was there today. It was an amazing match. Janko lost all tie-breaks despite that in all he was leading. In the first two 5:3 and in the third one even 5:1. I must say that Tomas won by his serve, better nerves in the tie-breaks and of course due to Czech audience.The atmosphere was like in a final with 14 thousands people. Janko in the second had just only 3-4 first serves. His shots, moves and game variaty was better than Tomas. Tomas always plays the same game, ground flat strokes without any change of rhytm, no drop shots, no slices. Really exciting beautiful match. OK Just pity that Novak took holidays Crying or Very sad

Tomas does not have a game to break in top 4, it is one level above his ability.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Tipsy kept looking at the lines in the third-set TB to as if he suspected the linespersons' calls were suspect. Since you were there PaulC, would you care to elaborate.

Home crowds make a difference, and I think it made a difference to Serbia winning the DC. Wink. Djokovic's absence does hurt them. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm

laverfan wrote:Tipsy kept looking at the lines in the third-set TB to as if he suspected the linespersons' calls were suspect. Since you were there PaulC, would you care to elaborate.

Home crowds make a difference, and I think it made a difference to Serbia winning the DC. Wink. Djokovic's absence does hurt them. Sad

I need to admit that I wished Tipsy to get into fourth set and next to play fifth one, so was dissapointed how this TB in the third ended up. Janko leading 5:1 when Tomas had still one serve. Very good serve, then two balls Tomas won when the Tomas's ball netted during the game which got Janko out of his rhytm. Another one was when Tomas' s ball landed in the real corner which Janko let it go in a surprise. I would not say that this TB was won by Tomas on the base of dubious linespersons' decisions. Tomas won by his risky balls by the help of his serves and had real luck. That was supported by loud home crowds.

The match between Tipsy and Stepanek was the most exciting I have ever attended. Just a tennis drama. Tipsy had the match in his grip during the fourth set with a break when Stepanek had a couple fantastic balls and won the fourth and had a break in fifth. Then Tipsy improved and after Stepanek did not use three match points his game fell down, had many double faults, lost his composure and the game was sometimes like training session just only to avoid the mistakes. There were couple right very slow balls played in the middle court. It was thrilling match and defeated frustrated Stepanek lost his nerves. And the incident with "finger", a very sad story. There is no excuse. Stepanek was broken and absolutely demolished. He said he had gone in bed at 4 30a.m. Would be very questionable if Stepanek could handle with Troicky to play fifth match. Wink

Last edited by paulcz on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:27 pm

im sorry but IMO there's no chance of Berdych ever being no1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down