The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Weekends Matchups & Predictions

5 posters

Go down

This Weekends Matchups & Predictions Empty This Weekends Matchups & Predictions

Post by wow_junky Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 am

There's quite a few fairly decent matchups this weekend, so I thought I would give a couple of predictions & thoughts on them. Your comments and predictions are welcome boxing

Ivan Calderon v Giovani Segura II

In their first fight we got an unexpected FOTY candidate before Calderon wilted in the late rounds. Now, 6 months later they meet again. So, did Calderon learn enough from the 1st fight to box his way to a decision, or will Segura's pressure once again be too much for the little Rican?

First time round I had a suspicion that Segura might bring too much heat for Calderon, but who bets against Calderon UD??? This time round, with Calderon being even older and taking a beating in the first fight, I think we will see a similar result. No doubting the Iron Boy's heart and skill, but I think Segura will catch up with him again and stop him in the 9th or 10th.

Prediction - Segura KO10

Sam Peter v Robert Helenius

Peter is better than many people give him credit for - he is a fat waster but is a notch above Arreola IMO. Still, he has suffered a couple of beatings and Helenius is on the up, despite not appearing to be in the same class as an early Wlad or Vitali.

Provided Helenius shows some durability I think he will win a wide UD - Peter is sturdy enough to stand up to Helenius for the full 12 I believe.

Helenius UD

Other Notable Fights

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam UD Giovanni Lorenzo
Marco Huck KO5 Ran Nakash
Krzysztof Wlodarczyk UD Francisco Palacios
John Murray KO3 Karim El Ouazghari
Luis Concepcion KO6 Hernan Marquez

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

This Weekends Matchups & Predictions Empty Re: This Weekends Matchups & Predictions

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 am

wow_junky wrote:

Good luck to Michael Buffer with that one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

This Weekends Matchups & Predictions Empty Re: This Weekends Matchups & Predictions

Post by Daz Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

Good luck to Michael Buffer with that one.

Haha!! Which of these fights are on TV? I know Murray is on Saturday Fight Night on Sky. Patrick Lopez Vs Henry Lundy is on ESPN.

I like the article mate - you should make it a weekly thing! Hopefully IJK will one day make an appearance and get the prediction league going again!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

If, big if, Calderon fights the same fight he gets stopped again. Was weird seeing a pure boxer pit patter standing there and trying to trade with Segura, made for a cracking fight though.

If Calderon boxes i think he'll sneak a UD, but not exactly putting the house on it

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am

Is Lopez v Lundy on regular ESPN?? I may have to record that, both guys are pretty decent. I've been following Lundy's career and despite the setback against Molina he is still a very good boxer and hopefully he can learn from the loss. He will need to learn to cope better in the later rounds as he doesn't have great power so will expect him to go the distance a fair bit at inter/world level. I have Lundy down to win this by UD by the way!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am

Coxy

I don't think Calderon has it in him anymore to keep away from Segura - he was dragged into a war first time round because he'd lost half a step at 34/35, now 6 months older and 1 beating later, I can't see him being able to keep up with the pace Segura will set.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 am

Yeah its on standard ESPN. Tomorrow I think mate.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 am

Think I agree with your picks.

Segura vs Calderon
Repeat performance, Segura stops him late. Calderon had the right tactics last time out, was boxing brilliantly for the first 3 rounds. But with Segura constantly closing and hitting him with body shots, 35 year old legs wont do the job. Would need all his magnificent footwork for 12 rounds to win. It's the old adage of swarmer beats boxer. I think Segura has his number in the same way Margarito has Cotto's, especially at this stage of their careers.

Helenius vs Peter
Helenius UD. Only time I've seen Helenius was on the Froch undercard and I thought he looked OK at best. However, Peter is really slipping and he has very little now other than a punch, which he wildly and sporadically tries to utilise. Helenius can punch himself and make Peter wary of going all out. Can see his performance being very tame and Robert taking a points win. However, I wouldn't write off the Nigerian Nightmare and Helenius' chin is untested against that sort of puncher, I think it's closer than the bookies do.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down