The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments

5 posters

Go down

The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments Empty The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

In recent threads it has been suggested that
a) Andy Murray might have a chance of becoming Number One
b) Tomas Berdych might have a chance of becoming Number One
c) Murray might break his slam duck and go on to become a multi-slammer.

In order to help with the assessment I here present a table of the results of the last five years of slam tournaments (beginning May 2007 with the French Open 2007).

SLAM RESULTS Federer Nadal Djokovic Murray Berdych
Win
Final
Semi-final
Quarter-final
4R
3R
2R
1R
absent

Last edited by Nore Staat on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments Empty Re: The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments

Post by reckoner Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

.... irrefutable! Bubbly

reckoner

Back to top Go down

The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments Empty Re: The Past Five Years of Grand Slam Tournaments

Post by newballs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:19 pm

NS the evidence is that (a) and (b) are both highly unlikely.

Regarding (c) perhaps Federer hanging up his racket sooner rather than later might help Andy in his slam quest. I know it's a while since Roger last won one but his slam record suggests he could still be a thorn in Murray's side a little bit longer.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

At the present time I am coming to the conclusion that Murray just doesn't have the overall "package" to get to Number 1, that his chances of getting a slam title are now less than 50% (it's looking more like 40% to me), and that he won't win more than two slams at the very most.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Federer

4R 0
3R 0
2R 0
1R 0
absent 0

Impressive!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Again it might be stating the obvious but the reality is that when Andy does win at the QF stage he can be sure of at least two out of three and, more recently, all three of the remaining players in the draw.

If he was in the ladies it's seemingly a new champion each time and four from any of say eight or nine players in the SF. So maybe it's a time of wrong era and wrong sex for Andy.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 05 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

Nore Staat.

I like your chart.

I had a look at Del Potro too

W 1
S 1
Q 3
4R 2
3R 3
2R 5
1R 1
absent 3

I noticed that Del Potro was a little unlucky as on quite a few occasions when he went out early it was to Nadal, Federer or Djokovic. He lost to Nadal in the 4th and 1st round and to Federer in semi's, quarters and 2nd round. He lost twice to Djokovic in the third round.

In 2007 Del Potro was very very unlucky with the draws. He lost to Nadal in the 1st round of the French then a few weeks later to Federer in the 2nd round of Wimbledon. In between he lost to Nadal in the 2nd round at Queens. He must have been sick of the pair of them. Of course when he won the US he beat them back to back.

In defence of Berdych he put a streak of great play together at Wimbledon 2010. He beat Djokovic in straight sets and then Federer losing just 1 set. It would have been a huge achievement if he had got a win against Nadal in the final. I thought the key to winning a slam was to be able to beat 2 of the top three...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

Very interesting chart NS! Excellent snapshot of consistency and quality.
I didn't realise Nadal has been so dominant in the last 5 years when it came to slam wins.
As Tenez pointed out, Fed's hisotry's outstanding, complete opposite of Berdych.
Look forward to seeing this chart in 2-3 years time Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down