The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar.

+4
doctor_grey
Bathman_in_London
thebluesmancometh
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar. Empty Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar.

Post by LondonTiger Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:55 pm

A discussion about the quality (or lack of) of the Bath squad got me thinking about drawing up a series of best, second best etc AP teams. Thinking about the players who would be in those teams made me realise how little I know of the Exeter team. Then thinking about it I realised that the only time I had seen them this season was the opening weekend, when I saw them bully us all the way round Welford Rd. I do not watch all televised AP/HC/Amlin matches - especially if they coincide with my presence at WR - but I do watch most. Yet I have not seen Exeter on the TV at all. Tonight I will miss them because I only get Sky Sports 1&2 but otherwise I am not aware of missing any of their matches. In fact, prettty sure last time I saw them on TV was May 2010 against Bristol in the Championship final.

Have they really been so rarely chosen for live matches?

Any way good luck tonight.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar. Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar.

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Your right, they seem to be the non existant team playing for a playoff spot, and HC place.

I love to see Exeter play, it's straight forward uncomprimising bully tactics that work a treat, a little like munster of old

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar. Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs - Continuing to fly under the radar.

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 05 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

I've seen them on tv a few times, but you are right, the likes of Leicester get far more coverage. I can only presume that which fixtures will be televised is picked at the begining of the season.

Rob Baxter deserves some sort of Services to Devon award, he knows exactly how to get the best from his players. I do still have an old Chiefs t shirt at home from my uni days, if they make it to the playoffs I will certainly be cheering for them...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

Exe are a great success story. For Rugby and for the southwest.

Its a shame they seem to be going under the radar, but I guess that's what happens when a team doesn't have the flash or star power. I have to believe if they keep at it the respect and tv appearances will come.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 7:56 pm

I've seen them a couple of times this year and always enjoy their games. As you say no real 'superstar' players but Hayes, Baxter & Scaysbrook are all just great players at what they do. Their work rate and commitment is something else and it's easy to see why the team does so well when these players are continually driving them forward on the pitch.

I agree that Rob Baxter deserves every compliment going (and then some). Always seems a humble level headed guy when interveiwed as well and although by being a Saints fan I hope they don't make the play off's this year I certainly wouldn't begrudge them if they do. I think Baxter won coach of the season last year and unless Saracens do the Jeff HK double then he must a front runner along with Connor O'Shea for the award this season as well.

Last edited by B91212 on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected an error)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 06 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

Watched them nearly pull off a fantastic result last night. Tremendous effort just lacking a tiny bit of skill/patience in the red zone. Hope to see a lot more of them. Excellent scrum by the way.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:A discussion about the quality (or lack of) of the Bath squad got me thinking about drawing up a series of best, second best etc AP teams. Thinking about the players who would be in those teams made me realise how little I know of the Exeter team. Then thinking about it I realised that the only time I had seen them this season was the opening weekend, when I saw them bully us all the way round Welford Rd. I do not watch all televised AP/HC/Amlin matches - especially if they coincide with my presence at WR - but I do watch most. Yet I have not seen Exeter on the TV at all. Tonight I will miss them because I only get Sky Sports 1&2 but otherwise I am not aware of missing any of their matches. In fact, prettty sure last time I saw them on TV was May 2010 against Bristol in the Championship final.

Have they really been so rarely chosen for live matches?

Any way good luck tonight.
LT, we've had a few televised matches to be fair, but you're right, not many. But we're better live, would love to host you if you're up for it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Your right, they seem to be the non existant team playing for a playoff spot, and HC place.

I love to see Exeter play, it's straight forward uncomprimising bully tactics that work a treat, a little like munster of old
Bluesman, that is only one way that we have of playing, we can do expansive too! But Rob Baxter knows that you can't do anything without a strong pack OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I've seen them on tv a few times, but you are right, the likes of Leicester get far more coverage. I can only presume that which fixtures will be televised is picked at the begining of the season.

Rob Baxter deserves some sort of Services to Devon award, he knows exactly how to get the best from his players. I do still have an old Chiefs t shirt at home from my uni days, if they make it to the playoffs I will certainly be cheering for them...
Absolutely, Rob Baxter for President!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I've seen them on tv a few times, but you are right, the likes of Leicester get far more coverage. I can only presume that which fixtures will be televised is picked at the begining of the season.

The fixtures are chosen about 2 months in advance. ESPN have shown a few Exeter games. They remind me of Bristol under Richard Hill, but with more flair. Great supporters too. All in all, they have been a very welcome addition to the Jeff.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

B91212 wrote:I've seen them a couple of times this year and always enjoy their games. As you say no real 'superstar' players but Hayes, Baxter & Scaysbrook are all just great players at what they do. Their work rate and commitment is something else and it's easy to see why the team does so well when these players are continually driving them forward on the pitch.

I agree that Rob Baxter deserves every compliment going (and then some). Always seems a humble level headed guy when interveiwed as well and although by being a Saints fan I hope they don't make the play off's this year I certainly wouldn't begrudge them if they do. I think Baxter won coach of the season last year and unless Saracens do the Jeff HK double then he must a front runner along with Connor O'Shea for the award this season as well.
Our philosophy is no players that don't get that they are part of a team - simple idea, but it works. Baxter was pipped by Mallinder last year as he led Saints out of their slump, but surely Rob is a shoo-in thus year?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

Submachine wrote:Watched them nearly pull off a fantastic result last night. Tremendous effort just lacking a tiny bit of skill/patience in the red zone. Hope to see a lot more of them. Excellent scrum by the way.
Submachine, but Jeebus we were so close! Playing against Parisse, Pape, Contemponi, Roncero, etc, just unbelievable Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

It is such a shame that I can only have Sky Sports 1&2 on my package, as I had the time spare to have watched yesterday.

Hopefully next seasons fixture for us down in Devon will be at a good time of year - Sandy Park is the only AP ground I have yet to visit.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Baxter was pipped by Mallinder last year as he led Saints out of their slump, but surely Rob is a shoo-in thus year?
If Exeter make the top 4, then there is no reason to even hold a vote. Would be the textbook definition of a 'done deal'. If they make the top 6. thereby qualifying for the Heineken Cup, then he probably still gets the vote. Great job, second year running.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:It is such a shame that I can only have Sky Sports 1&2 on my package, as I had the time spare to have watched yesterday.

Hopefully next seasons fixture for us down in Devon will be at a good time of year - Sandy Park is the only AP ground I have yet to visit.
LT, would be honoured to host you Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down