The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

transfer from union to league

+4
chewed_mintie
rodders
Portnoy
mckay1402
8 posters

Go down

transfer from union to league Empty transfer from union to league

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

Next weekend I'll be playing my first game of northern union rules. Has anyone on here made the transition?
Does anyone have any advice?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

transfer from union to league Empty Re: transfer from union to league

Post by Portnoy Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:59 pm

When you get tackled remember that you are allowed to keep hold of the ball.

Not that dissimilar to Union really...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

Only if you play for an Irish side though
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 06 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

OK. If you hold anyone down in the tackle that will be penalised in League.

It perfectly allowable in Union.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

Played both at Uni. What position?

League is a lot faster, but more simple imo. Just run the ball hard, don't force the pass on the first 3 tackles and make sure you play the ball right and there is a teammate at dummy half before you play it back.

In defence stand square if you are marker at the play the ball and make sure you defend the play the ball well and don't get stepped on the inside by the opposition dummy half.

In defence make sure you don't let the attacker get the ball away and listen for the referee calling the tackle complete.

Depending on your position remember to drop back and defend the kick on the attacking teams 4th-5th tackle.

I presume you've done some training?

Should be a straighforward enough transition though. Good luck OK.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 06 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

My first 12 years in sport were spent playing League and what a beautiful sport it is. When you are tackled, make sure you use your foot to play the ball - you'll be penalised for rolling it.

don't run at the defender, run hard at the gaps otherwise you'll be heading to hospital.

Good luck!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:07 pm

I haven't done any specific training. Will be pounding the roads this week though. I'm looking to play hooker. Reckon i'm about the same size as Kieran Cunningham...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 06 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm

Mckay1402
Excellant topic.
I wont give you "advice" on what to do or not what to do, as it will only confuse you further,
I played my first game of League after over ten years of playing Union,and I can remember the idea in my head after about fifteen minutes of "Why in gods earth did I get myself into this" But I dont say that to put you off,stay with it, because you will grow to appreciate a lot aspects of both versions of the game far better.
I look forward to you coming back next week and telling us how you went,and next week you will be a much wiser man.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:09 am

mckay1402 wrote:I haven't done any specific training. Will be pounding the roads this week though. I'm looking to play hooker. Reckon i'm about the same size as Kieran Cunningham...

OK my main advice is make sure you understand the rules at the play the ball and tackle and you'll be fine.

Hooker is similar to scrum half in Union. You're the main man at dummy-half. Run yourself from dummy half (if you have the gas otherwise let a winger come in and do it) on the early tackles (1 or 2) otherwise just distribute to your halfbacks or forwards on the charge.

Take 1 or 2 steps side ways a la Mike Phillips before passing because it will tie in the other teams markers.

You'll have a great time Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

I'm really excited about it. Can't wait to get stuck in
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

Lucky guy. Although I prefer the game of Union as spectacle I actually probably enjoyed playing League more on the few occasions I got to play it. Pounding the road will help although you could have probably done with starting a few weeks ago!

First time I played it I was probably the fittest I had ever been in my life. After 20 minutes I thought that I would have to move to the side of the field and throw up. Admittedly I was a forward but the combination of getting back 10 meters after every tackle and then turning to face the opposition combined with running into what felt like a brick wall a couple of times completely hammered me. It did get a little easier as the game went on but I ached more than any game of Union I ever played. I agree with chewed_mintie's advice, if you do decide to run yourself from dummy half then certainly aim for the gaps. If nothing else it helps to reduce the impact of the collisions.

Most of all enjoy!

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:14 am

You will have a great time, it is seriously knackering though, getting back 10 after every tackle really takes it out of you! Sadly there is no piling into a ruck just to get your breath back!

My only tactical advice woul be give it to the big mutants for the first few plays and then get it out to the girls for the last couple. no arms tackles are allowed too, so watch out!

Maybe let us know how you get on?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:18 am

I think my user name might be a clue on this one...

Anyway, good advice so far - hooker in RL is definitely one of the more interesting positions (and over the years I've played just about all of them other than prop- I was never quite big enough).

First two or three tackles (depending on field position), it's usually enough to just look for the big guys running one out- the main thing you have to do from dummy half is to pass the ball sufficiently in front that they can keep accelerating as they take the ball - I wouldn't worry too much yet about taking a couple of steps, just pass the ball from the floor. Hopefully your big forwards will have a bit of experience, and know where and when they should be running (wide enough to get outside the markers, but often on an angle so they can attack the hole in the defence that is usually directly behind the markers). A few sniping runs from dummy half can be fun, as long as you have the acceleration to get outside the markers - remember that the next guys in the defensive line will probably be props, so they'll be big and strong but perhaps a bit slow and lacking agility, so you will be better off trying to jink them that running straight over the top of them.

Third tackle onwards, especially in attacking positions, you want to be looking for your scrum half or stand off at first receiver, and they will look to either spread the ball wider or take it to the line and look for off-loads to runners. Your job though will be to follow the ball, either to be a support runner or to allow a quick play the ball. Again, opportunistic breaks from DH can be good, but this time you probablyl should be looking to link with your support runners once you make a break.

Oh, and don't underestimate the value of keeping your feet in a tackle and looking for an off-load, especially if you've drawn two or three tacklers in - slip the ball to someone trailing the play and they can spread it to use the space you should have created.

RL defence is easy - if it runs towards you, knock it down. Get up, either go to marker at the play the ball (normally this will be the tacklers on the previous play) or retreat to where the ref says and then make sure you advance in a line with your team mates. As hooker, you will probably spend most of the game defending one or two players out on the open side, so you have to make your tackles, which will often be of big guys running straight and hard. If you are the first man in the tackle, go low and rely on good technique, second man should come in higher and wrap round the ball to prevent an off-load.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Well todays the day. Just meet the players. Think I might be out of my depth but I'll give it a crack. Well report back later if I can move...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Well todays the day. Just meet the players. Think I might be out of my depth but I'll give it a crack. Well report back later if I can move...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

Wow that was fun. I would say I haven't been that nervous before a game if rugby since I was 16, turning out for the seniors for the first time but actually I really enjoyed my very little run out today. It was only a development tournament but the his were real and the Carries sapped a lot of energy. I managed a half.

Will probably be a rugby league player this summer...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

Nice one McKay guinness !

How did you find it compared to Union?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

Mckay
Well done. after another game you will be able to join a few of us others on here who despair at what some people on here call a dangerous tackle. a high tackle,a bad tackle ad nauseum.

I thought it might be the getting back ten metres that would sap your energy.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

actually the defence wasn't too bad. we were playing up a fairly step incline so getting into defensive line was down hill. I enjoyed the contact area much more than I do in union and although it looks like a free for all to the uninitiated its interesting that each player had a fairly specific role and place on the field.

rodders

In comparison to union you need to be much fitter at a relatively low level but rolling subs definitely helps. I might actually say I enjoyed playing it more than I enjoyed union.

Auckland

There were some pretty brutal his going in today. Fortunately I want on the recruiting end of anything too fruity. I was happy that my hamstring held up as I've had trouble with them in the past but I have pulled both my calves.

All in allan enjoyable experience that every union man should try
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

Mckay

Glad you enjoyed the game. Your last line sums it up - all Union players (backs and back row forwards in particular) should give league a go because it is a running, passing and tackling game, which is what gets most of us into rugby in the first place. The skill set is narrower than RU and it is tactically easier, but the physical demands are greater (in part because the ball carrier can run through the tackle area without having to worry about turning and presenting the ball, so the impacts tend to be bigger).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

mckay1402 wrote:
rodders

In comparison to union you need to be much fitter at a relatively low level but rolling subs definitely helps. I might actually say I enjoyed playing it more than I enjoyed union.

Yeah I found the same. I played on the wing mostly so was able to get far more involved in league, in attack and defence. I probably made more tackles and got more touches in one game than in an entire season of union.

My heart is certainly in Union from a fans perspective these days but I'd love to play league again. Unfortunately thats not possible over here.

Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck with the rest of the season OK guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

Utah I must admit that I enjoyed carrying the ball far more in league than I did in union. The breakdown is far simpler too. Like you say i'm still a union fan as a spectator but as a player I really enjoyed league. It would be invaluable experience for any union player to go down to your local league club in the summer and have a run out. I'll certainly be doing that this summer to get fit for the season next year...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down