The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

+12
Carrotdude
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
sirfredperry
Shelsey93
guildfordbat
ShahenshahG
Liam
Duty281
msp83
JDizzle
Biltong
Pal Joey
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados - Page 2 Empty West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by Pal Joey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Frank Worrell Trophy
April 7-11, Kensington Oval, Bridgetown
Start time: 1000 AST, 1500 GMT, 0000 EST

This will be the 22nd Frank Worrell Trophy Series since 1960-61.
21 Series - Australia won 11, West Indies won 8, 2 series drawn
93 matches - Australia won 41, West Indies 30

Overall: Played 108 - West Indies 32, Australia 52, Drawn 23, Tied 1

West Indies:
1 Adrian Barath, 2 Kraigg Brathwaite, 3 Kirk Edwards, 4 Darren Bravo, 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Narsingh Deonarine,
7 Darren Sammy*, 8 Carlton Baugh†, 9 Devendra Bishoo, 10 Fidel Edwards, 11 Kemar Roach.

Australia:
1 Ed Cowan, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke*, 6 Michael Hussey,
7 Matthew Wade†, 8 Peter Siddle, 9 Ryan Harris, 10 Ben Hilfenhaus, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:45 am; edited 4 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados - Page 2 Empty Re: West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

Century for Chanders clap

By far the best batsman that the Windies have although I'm not impressed by his batting with the tail so far.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados - Page 2 Empty Re: West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:05 pm

That's it, hundred for Shivnarine Chanderpaul!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:08 pm

Duty, I don't think it is a bad thing. Often when you try to protect the tail you get yourself out, or altenratively giving them protection has a negative effect on their self belief.

This way he allows them to gain valuable experience and confidence.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

Chanderpaul always plays his game against the Australians at a level above his usual one!. Last time when they went to the West Indies, they had given hopes of getting him out I remember!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

Chanderpaul and VVS Laxman are 2 cricketers I've seen making no real atempt to protect the lower order that much. VVS at least does a bit of it at the beginning, but Chanders just doesn't bother. And somehow the lower order does alright batting with thim.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

biltongbek wrote:Duty, I don't think it is a bad thing. Often when you try to protect the tail you get yourself out, or altenratively giving them protection has a negative effect on their self belief.

This way he allows them to gain valuable experience and confidence.

Inzi usually does it best Very Happy Loved the fat Bar Steward. Remember Bevan being rather adept at it too.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

Think he batted something like 18 hours without getting out in that series.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:17 pm

All the 11 batsmen have reached double figures for the West Indies, first time for them it seems.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:20 pm

msp83 wrote:All the 11 batsmen have reached double figures for the West Indies, first time for them it seems.
Rats! I was just about to make that point. Smile

Windies going really well and making a nonsense of my predicted 3-0 series win to the Aussies!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

Bishoo and Shiv have now added 23 in 63 balls, quite frustrating if you are an Australian!. Carlton Baugh was the 6th out at 318, and that lends greater perspective to this lower order effort from the West Indies guided by Shiv.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:29 pm

almost 4pipty on the scoreboard. Good innings for West Indies this.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:33 pm

Always nice to get that little psychological snipe in by declaring.

Just saying to the Australians, we stopped batting on our terms. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

Decleration at 449/9! A tasty hour for the Aussie batsmen to face! Go on the West Indies, make a mockery of my 3-0 to Aus prediction.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:36 pm

Surprise, The West Indies have declared, at 449-9!.
Don't think this a good move, the light might just come and the WI may not get in many overs. The only tting is that may be Australia wouldn't have seen this coming, but then WI were anyways 9 down, Baffling from Sammy, for whom I'd developed a bit of newfound respect!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

Like the attitude behind this, just hoping Fidel and Roach will give the Australians a tough time, and may be nip out 2 or 3 by the end of the day!.
But this track is noot one that is offering a great deal to the quicker bowlers.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:42 pm

Think I'll have an over or 2 in the Australian innings, its almost early morning in India, have work tomorrow, will have to catch up on some sleep before that!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:45 pm

Right Fidel Edwards v 2 inexperienced openers = game on

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:49 pm

Good pace from Fidel in the first over. What can Roach come up with?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:54 pm

Not a very good first over from Roach that.
Hope the WI bowlers soon get their act together. May be Sammy should give Bishoo an early spel against Warner in particular, who has had a problem or 2 early against spin in his innings.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 08 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm

Well the WI batsmen made around 150 more than I thought they would so it releases the pressure a bit on their bowlers because they have lots of runs to play with. Bowling Australia out for 350 or less will be tough but not impossible.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:25 am

I'm really impressed by the progress of this West Indian side - for the first time for many years I feel that the players are actually improving.

However, I thought they let things slip a bit yesterday evening. Shiv got over-fussed about his hundred, causing the run rate to stall when it should really have been accelerating ahead of the declaration. And then Edwards and Roach didn't really hit their straps in the few overs they bowled before the close. Will be interested to see how they go today.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

Shelsey, I think you are being a little over critical. I certainly didn't expect west Indies to get 450 runs on the board.

I expected them to be pushovers for Australia and England who tours there next.

This tells me that the are getting back to being able to score runs, which not so long ago seemed an impossible task.

At least now it isnt going to be a roll over.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:11 am

biltongbek wrote:Shelsey, I think you are being a little over critical. I certainly didn't expect west Indies to get 450 runs on the board.

I expected them to be pushovers for Australia and England who tours there next.

This tells me that the are getting back to being able to score runs, which not so long ago seemed an impossible task.

At least now it isnt going to be a roll over.
I tend to agree with Biltong. After two days, the Windies are near to an unbeatable position due to their own efforts. Given the depths to which they've sunk in recent times, that is considerable progress.

Clearly there is still significant difference between getting in an unbeatable position and actually winning. However, you will never start winning if you don't stop losing!

PS Biltong - you overlooked one of the basic rules of forum posting on another recent thread. We both told each other in advance of the final Test result that we had predicted a 1-1 series score between England and Sri Lanka. The purpose of that surely was that you would come on and congratulate me on my brilliance and I would then respond in similar gushing tones! Wink Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 09 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

guildfordbat wrote:PS Biltong - you overlooked one of the basic rules of forum posting on another recent thread. We both told each other in advance of the final Test result that we had predicted a 1-1 series score between England and Sri Lanka. The purpose of that surely was that you would come on and congratulate me on my brilliance and I would then respond in similar gushing tones! Wink Very Happy

Yeah, I consider my behaviour corrected and my actions unacceptable. Sad I can only profusely apologise for my lack of internet decorum. Crying or Very sad I have berated myself and have signed up for an online seminar "How to influence people and win friends by Dale Carnegie" and have started an online support group online supportforsocialmediaoafs.com Cry

West Indies v Australia, 1st Test, Barbados - Page 2 438_lol

Yeah sorry mate, I completely forgot about it. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 Apr 2012, 11:32 am

Biltong - glad to see you understand the error of your ways! Very Happy

Anyway, all in all, massive improvement from the Windies ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 09 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

Those who underestimated the Windies might like to consider just how difficult it is to win away in Test cricket. Tours are very short now, giving the visitors very little acclimatisation time. SA have done well away from home in recent years and, of course, Eng thrashed the Aussies away last winter.
But most sides who roll over away from home can provide tough opposition when playing on their own grounds.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Those who underestimated the Windies might like to consider just how difficult it is to win away in Test cricket. Tours are very short now, giving the visitors very little acclimatisation time. SA have done well away from home in recent years and, of course, Eng thrashed the Aussies away last winter.
But most sides who rioll over away from home can provide tought opposition when playing on their own grounds.

Correct, although I think WI's progress is more than just home advantage. From about 2000 until towards the end of last year they kept recalling the same group of players who kept getting out in the same old ways, dropping easy catches, moping around the field and bowling ineffectively. However, this latest group has turned a corner - Kirk Edwards looked out of his depth when we first saw him in one-dayers v Pakistan last year, now he averages 50+ in Tests, Bravo had under-achieved this time last year and has since progressed to average 50+ too. Meanwhile, Barath, Brathwaite and Roach are also displaying their talents. It was particularly encouraging how, after initially struggling against Ashwin and Ojha, they piled up the runs towards the end of the series against India and got very close to winning a Test in Delhi as well. They also look a world-class fielding unit and outfielded the Aussies in the one-dayers.

The upcoming series against England definitely won't be easy - Anderson, Broad and Swann are brilliant at finding weaknesses in opposition players and, in English conditions, are a far tougher proposition than Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Harris and Lyon in the Caribbean. WI also have lots of left-handers for Swann to bowl at. But they are definitely on an upward curve, and its a long, long time since one has been able to say that about WI.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

There's more rain forecast over the final 3 days so we may see some urgent cricket. Australia currently 46/0 with the draw very much the favourite result - a few quick wickets could change that though.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 2:44 pm

And we have a wicket! Darren Sammy has Cowan caught behind for 14, Australia 50/1.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

And now Darren Sammy has his second, Warner out on 42 gets a edge to second slip. Australia 65/2 at drinks, Punter in next!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

Excellent for west Indies.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Punters got a point to prove so mix it up! Try to hit him in the balls. I assure you when he gets triple vision he wont want to hit the one in the middle.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Shane Watson has ran out Ricky Ponting! 84/3!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

YES. Come on you windiesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss,

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

FH Edwards to Watson, 1 run, OUT, Watson has run Ponting out. Complete brain freeze. Contribution also from by Brathwaite's superb slide and throw, but Watson's calling was shocking here. Short of a length, angling in to middle, worked away towards fine leg, easy single taken. Watson then wants the second one moment, doesn't want it the next. Then he wants it again, and then says no a moment later. Brathwaite from the infield runs back and slides and throws even before fine leg can come in. The throw is accurate, and Ponting is well short
RT Ponting run out 4 (13b 1x4 0x6) SR: 30.76

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

Michael Clarke is in now and I fail to see how he's the number 1 Test batsman in the World when he averages below 50.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Michael Clarke is in now and I fail to see how he's the number 1 Test batsman in the World when he averages below 50.

Thats because he hasnt faced monty yet.Easy to be test number 1 when everyone else is left quivering after facing the montster

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:16 pm

Darren Sammy finally takes himself off after a great spell of 10-5-14-2, top effort against the Aussie top order.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

Fine morning's work so far from the West Indies. They just need to continue to apply the pressure. Clarke did walk into a few similar situations in the India series back home, and delivered big. So if the WI could separate these 2 before lunch, that will be a perfect morning for them.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

Duty281 wrote:Michael Clarke is in now and I fail to see how he's the number 1 Test batsman in the World when he averages below 50.

His current form dictates his ranking, although looking at England I cansee why you think that way. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

Clarke is out caught. Or is he? It's been reviewed but there is no HotSpot or Snicko....not out. Hmmm. Don't think there was enough evidence to overturn that, think Dilshan a few days ago.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

Whats the use if you are STILL going to Ignore your own bloody rules? I agree with the technology, but they've just ignored the law. No technology can remedy that. Twit.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

This DRS inconsistency is really getting annoying. Either you have to hav all the bloody technology available, or do away with the danm thing all together. Or at least be consistent in your judgement. Terrible!. And I am seriously afraid I've to now switch camps and join the BCCI camp on this!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

Is the ICC's bloody explanation would be that the umpires get 95.0642869 % of their decision right on this one as well?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

133/3 at lunch, good session for the Windies. If they can keep chipping away in the afternoon, Australia have a long tail with Siddle batting at 8.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:Clarke is out caught. Or is he? It's been reviewed but there is no HotSpot or Snicko....not out. Hmmm. Don't think there was enough evidence to overturn that, think Dilshan a few days ago.

My personal view is that there was just about enough evidence to overturn the Dilshan one - if you looked carefully there was clear air between bat and ball.

On this one it is again marginal. Though, for me, the right decision was made to overturn as it just didn't look like it had hit the bat - no deviation and no noise even if no clear air could be seen.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:41 pm

Mr. Cricket it is who is slated to come in next, then there is the man on debut and the lower order. The Australian lower order did make valuable runs during the India series at home, but I certainly think the WI seam attack is a bit better than that of India. Edwards and Roach can really crank it up, and Well Sammy has a way of getting wickets. With Bishoo being a class spinner, it won't be easy for the Australians. A couple of wickets in this session, Australia will have to play quite a lot of catch up cricket thereafter, and thinking about a win won't be their priority. And that in turn might just play into the hands of the WI attack.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

What a start after lunch! Watson nicks behind to the keeper off of the bowling of Roach, 133/4. Come on Windies, take your chance! Has to be said though, horrible shot.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Clarke is out caught. Or is he? It's been reviewed but there is no HotSpot or Snicko....not out. Hmmm. Don't think there was enough evidence to overturn that, think Dilshan a few days ago.

My personal view is that there was just about enough evidence to overturn the Dilshan one - if you looked carefully there was clear air between bat and ball.

On this one it is again marginal. Though, for me, the right decision was made to overturn as it just didn't look like it had hit the bat - no deviation and no noise even if no clear air could be seen.

I think the issue is not much of whether either Dilshan or Clarke have hit it or not. Its more about consistency and standards. I tend to agree that there was nothing that clearly suggested Dilshan had hit, and likewise not much to suggest Clarke did the same. But Dilshan was given out and Clarke not out. On both the occasions the onfield call was out. Either if there is no substantive profe, you give the benefit of doubt to the batter, or stay with the onfield umpire. They say the DRS is there to avoid the absolute howlers. Both the Dilshan one and the Clarke decision were not bad enough to be called one. So may be the onfield call should have stayed. Or the benefit should have gone to the batter.
The ICC have to do something about this quickly, either bring in all the technology, or drop it. Can't have this inconsistent nonsense for ever.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:49 pm

Big wicket for the West Indies, one more quick wicket, and then it will be a struggle for the Australians.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next