The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name?

+3
Rowley
paperbag_puncher
Union Cane
7 posters

Go down

Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name? Empty Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name?

Post by Union Cane Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

After seeing in Rowley's excellent Larry Estridge article that Larry had fought Allentown Joe Gans, Panama Joe Gans and Italian Joe Gans, it set me wondering how many fighters there were that had used this particualr moniker down the years.

The original Joe Gans (or Joseph Gant, as he was born) was one of the finest lightweights the world has seen, and is credited as being the first African American to hold a World Title in any sport when he won the lightweight crown in 1902.

Quite a legacy then, and you can see why others would use the name, but the results are quite amazing :

Allentown Joe Gans
Baby Joe Gans (there are 7 of these)
Baltimore Joe Gans
California Joe Gans (x2)
Chicago Joe Gans
Dago Joe Gans
Denver Joe Gans
Italian Joe Gans
Joe Gans (there are 21 of these)
Mexican Joe Gans
Michigan Joe Gans
Nubby Joe Gans
Panama Joe Gans
Philadelphia Joe Gans
Shorty Joe Gans
Stockyards Joe Gans
Texas Joe Gans
Young Joe Gans (incredibly, there are 35 of these!)

That is a total of 79 fighters going by the name of Joe Gans or various variations thereof.

Is that a record?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name? Empty Re: Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name?

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 am

Ha it must be. Good work as always. You're wasted Union in whatever it is you do...

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name? Empty Re: Joe Gans - Boxing's most popular name?

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 am

It very probably is Union, was quite common in the early 1900's for fighters to either adopt or be given the names of fighters they either resembled or out of tribute to their abilities, there are quite a few Fitzsimmons' and more than a few Langford's as well but would be surprised if their numbers rivalled the Ganses

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 pm

You're almost too good to be true at times, Union! Top marks.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Got to love Mexican Joe Gans. I have a vision a little man that looks like Rafael Marquez called Joe. Don't know why.

Great stuff Union.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Am more intrigued by Shorty Joe Gans Kev, given the original Joe Gans was hardly a giant of a man you do have to wonder just how short you would have to be to earn that nickname.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 pm

It's got to be Dago Joe Gans for me. Slightly racist but very funny.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Rowley he was a welterweight! Headscratch
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Who was the youngest of the young Joe Gans posse Union?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:Rowley he was a welterweight! Headscratch

Maybe he just turned up late on the day they were handing out the nicknames

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Who was the youngest of the young Joe Gans posse Union?

They all started off quite young, but gradually got older at the rate of about a year per year.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Allentown Joe Gans never had a bad career he shared a ring with Harry Greb and Tiger Flowers going the distance with both. he was also disqualified in his fight Maxie Rosenbloom for a low blow in the 6th round.

Apparently he shared the ring with Panama Joe Gans, Italian Joe Gans and a plain and simple Joe Gans.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 pm

That's a shame, I was hoping that 'Shorty' Joe Gans would be an ironic / sarcastic nickname and that he'd in fact be Carnera's size. Like that 6'4", 230 lb French bareknuckler who fought with Broughton known simply by the moniker 'Petit.' And remember how far back we're going there!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Kev am into the various Joe Gans section of the Sundowners and there are a good number of them that appear to be more than decent, as you have said Allentown appeared to be the real deal as did at least one of the youngs but think perhaps the best outside of the original was Panama Joe who does appear to have been something special

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Also a shame that this phenomenon didn't catch on over this side of the pond. Hartlepool Joe Gans, Rotherham Joe Gans, Luton Joe Gans....All have a very nice ring (if I were any hotter with these boxing-related puns the sprinklers at my work would activate) to them, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 pm

rowley wrote:Kev am into the various Joe Gans section of the Sundowners and there are a good number of them that appear to be more than decent, as you have said Allentown appeared to be the real deal as did at least one of the youngs but think perhaps the best outside of the original was Panama Joe who does appear to have been something special

Was just going to say that mate. Panama Joe Gans fought Larry Estridge twice for the coloured middleweight title. he lost both but went the distance.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

He does have 2 stoppage victories of Tiger Flowers so he was a proper fighter.

His 6 wins over Young Sam Langford and his one each over Young Jack Johnson and Young Sam McVea all at lightweight made me chuckle.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

It must have been a terribly confusing time for Gans fans.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Panama Joe is the next in the colour line greats series, after the seven individual responses to Larry Estridge, none of which were by me I am reinvigorated, could arrive as soon as tomorrow.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Ever been tested for aspergers Union?

Your rainman like qualities do come in handy at times, good list.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down