The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling

+2
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
6 posters

Go down

Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling Empty Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

Having attempted to write something vaguely interesting about Young Perez and his actions in and out of the ring, I thought I would have another go, this time with someone we will all have heard of.

Step forward Max Schmeling, a real boxing hero. There will be people on here who know far more about the man than I do, but I simply want to show that he deserves to be remembered for so much more than being demolished by Joe Louis in their second fight. I won't spend too long over his early career but will instead focus on the second Louis fight, the political ramifications surrounding that event and how that relates to Schmeling the man rather than Schmeling the fighter.

Max Schmeling started his career in 1924, fighting exclusively in Germany for four years, winning the German and European light-heavyweight title and the German heavyweight crown before trying his luck stateside where he picked up wins over decent heavyweight contenders like Johnny Risko and Paulino Uzcudun before landing a shot at the World heavyweight championship in 1930. Schmeling beat Jack Sharkey on a 4th round disqualification having being hit below the belt. He made one defence of the title against Young Stribling before dropping a controversial decision, and therefore his title, to Jack Sharkey in a 1932 rematch.

Schmeling continued fighting, meeting heavyweight names like Mickey Walker and Max Baer before fighting, and beating, the legendary Joe Louis in the Ring Magazine's 1936 fight of the year, ending the young Brown Bombers 24 fight winning streak. Despite this stunning upset, it was Louis who would eventually get a title shot against Jim Braddock. Schmeling was firmly out of the title frame until Louis, now the undisputed title holder announced that he would make a defence against the ex-champion and the only man to beat him. The scene was set for the 1938 "Battle of the Century", all played out against the backdrop of a growing Nazi menace in Europe. Schmeling, apparently the poster boy for Aryan supremacy, was to face the champion from a poor African American background amidst rabid nationalism back home in Germany. The fight, held at the famous Yankee Stadium in New York was as brutal as it was short. Louis, having learned his lessons from 1936, destroyed Schmeling in a one sided demolition that ended in the first round. Louis inflicted serious damage to Schmeling as he battered him into submission in front of a deeply partizan crowd. The champion unleashed his full repertoire of punches on the German hero, breaking several ribs and also, amazingly, cracking some of Max's vertebrae, despite never hitting him in the back!

Schmeling's career as a top level boxer was over, but what of Schmeling the man? Although he had lunched with Hitler and had lengthy conversations with Goebbels, the master propagandist of the Nazi party, Schmeling was in no way a Nazi sympathiser, more a victim of circumstance. An unwilling puppet of a unyielding regime who were keen to use their sporting icon to promote their abhorrent views of Aryan supremacy, especially over the 'African' champion, Joe Louis. The fact is, even during those dark days in Europe, Schmeling demonstrated bravery that few, if any of us can truly comprehend. Not only did he use his influence to exact promises from Hitler that all US athletes would be protected at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, he went as far as saving the lives of two young Jewish boys who were the sons of Schmelings friend. According to reports, Schmeling kept Henry and Werner Lewin hidden in his room at the Excelsior Hotel in Berlin at the height of the Krystallnacht pogrom in November 1938 when Jews were being summarily rounded up and either killed or sent to concentration camps across the Reich. Schmeling left word at the hotel desk that he was ill and no-one was to visit him, eventually waiting for a break in the persecution before helping the two teenagers to flee the country. Much like Young Perez stealing bread at Auschwitz, if Schmeling had been caught he would almost certainly have been killed. To do something so selfless and remarkable amidst a time of genuine terror goes someway to illustrating the incredible bravery of the man. One of the brothers he hid went on to become a prominent hotel owner in America, and eventually invited Schmeling to come to Las Vegas in 1989 to thank him formally for saving his life.

The German administration never forgave Max for refusing to join the Nazi party and he was seconded into the Paratroops towards the end of the war, undergoing several dangerous missions and proving his bravery time and time again. After the war he became a successful businessman in post-war Germany and became great friends with his old foe Joe Louis, regularly and quietly giving him money and apparently paying for the great mans funeral.

We judge our sporting heroes by their achievements in their respective sporting arenas, but with guys like Max Schmeling, his humility, humanitarian deeds and bravery outside the ring speak volumes for the character of the man. He may be best know for losing his biggest boxing match, but he is really one of life's greatest winners.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling Empty Re: Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling

Post by Rowley Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

Lovely stuff Tina, read Max's autobiography recently and he does come across as a genuinely decent guy trying his best in the most impossible of circumstances, he was often criticised by the Nazi regime for only coming to them when he wanted something or wanted them to intercede on behalf of a friend of Schmeling's. Easy to look back and say putting a word in for someone is no big deal but anyone who knows the first think about history knows badgering the Nazi high command to assist jews was no small act of bravery.

As you have alluded to Schmeling received an absolute screwing on the back of his loss to Louis, was barely permitted to fight lest he bought more shame on the nazi regime and was drafted to the paratroop regiment under very suspiscious cirumstances, told initially he would be used in very much a PR role as Louis was for the Allies he found himself thrust into front line action despite being far past the sensible age of being drafted into such front line action. After returning from the war had his assets and wealth virtually stripped from him, his ability to both rebuild and do so with no trace of bitterness or anger speaks well of the man and his charcter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling Empty Re: Real Boxing Heroes II: Max Schmeling

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:09 pm

rowley wrote:
was drafted to the paratroop regiment under very suspiscious cirumstances, told initially he would be used in very much a PR role as Louis was for the Allies he found himself thrust into front line action

Thanks jeff. I read that he actually ended up parachuting into Crete in the midst of one of the most brutal battles in Europe at that time. Amazing stuff really, for a non-professional solider.

He was so much more than a boxer.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:49 pm

Nice article Tina. I think Schmeling's win over Louis is one of the best ever and is often overlooked for various reasons. Obviously his life outside the ring was even more impressive.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Nice article Tina. I think Schmeling's win over Louis is one of the best ever and is often overlooked for various reasons. Obviously his life outside the ring was even more impressive.

Thanks PP. It was an impressive win, that is for sure. Apparently he studied Louis in great depth before the fight and noticed that he keep his left hand low after throwing a jab. Max knew his best punch was the overhand right and countered Joe with it all night before stopping him. Obviously Joe learnt his lesson for the return, but it shouldn't detract from Schmelings performance first time round.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Forgot to add keep em coming the 2 articles have been interesting reads as was the Carnera one.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

A great man who has become very under appreciated, recall that he beat Walter Neusel the man originally intended to be the poster boy for the Nazi regime, it was that win which unfortunately catapulted him into the all to willing hands of Hitler.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 12 Apr 2012, 5:01 am

Schmeling's win over Louis must be rated as one of the biggest upsets in heavyweight boxing even though Louis wasn't champion at the time.A great result and agreat man.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

Was just reading about him in a Louis biography, and thinking how unfairly maligned he was.Might dig the book out next week and pop a few choice morsels down on this article.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm

andygf wrote:Was just reading about him in a Louis biography, and thinking how unfairly maligned he was.Might dig the book out next week and pop a few choice morsels down on this article.

Be my guest, Andy. So long as it garners more posts than Jeff I will be a happy man!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
andygf wrote:Was just reading about him in a Louis biography, and thinking how unfairly maligned he was.Might dig the book out next week and pop a few choice morsels down on this article.

Be my guest, Andy. So long as it garners more posts than Jeff I will be a happy man!

Bound to Tina, as long as you keep doing the shamelessly populist stuff like Schmeling and Young Perez, you've sold out mate, couldn't be more blatant if you worked a few Khan references in there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 12 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

rowley wrote:
Bound to Tina, as long as you keep doing the shamelessly populist stuff like Schmeling and Young Perez, you've sold out mate, couldn't be more blatant if you worked a few Khan references in there.

I tell you what Jeff, you just wait till I post the next thread. It makes Young Perez seem about as populist as Lady Gaga. It is not in the 'Boxing Heroes' series but it really is obscure. Although no doubt you, Chris and one or two others will know all about him and my efforts will be wasted!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:35 pm

Probably the most reviled Man in Boxing history!!!!!

Probably the most misjudged Man in Boxing history!!!!

The poster boy for a Country despised all around the World give or take a few mmbers of the axis...perhaps!!!

Certainly a brave Man who was a deserving World champion... although accomplished down a dubious road.....

Certainly a good guy..and worthy of an article praising him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down