The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Announcement

+4
HumanWindmill
AdZacO
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

Boxing Announcement Empty Boxing Announcement

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Gents,

This afternoon as some of you may well know, the Mayweather/Pacquiao debate thread was locked by Windy.

I felt it necessary to come on here and explain this as well as give our views on the current state of the forum.

Over the last few days this thread has; to put it bluntly, descended into farce. If it's not the same points being rehashed and regurgitated it is the same constant flow of abuse and negativity aimed at a certain poster and to be honest it had to stop before it got even further out of hand.

As a neutral coming into this forum i am fascinated by the views and thoughts of you guys, you have such a vast range of opinions and have a broad range of knowledge from the 'Old Timers' to today's modern greats. We're lucky to have guys who want to post, debate, create and enjoy the forum, but the level of negativity and nit picking is starting to escalate, particularly on a certain topic.

We are all for debate here. We don't want to appear to be censoring people or restricting people from having views, however, there is a way in which to go about making your point. Making libellous claims, ignoring facts, basing your arguments on rumours and dismissing other peoples opinions are not how we expect people to debate. We would expect there to be a level of respect towards each other, even if it is the smallest gesture such as answering a question, but over the last few days this has not happened.

As such, the Mayweather/Pacquiao thread will stay locked. Whether it remains that way will depend on whether new and insightful debate is there to be had. In the meantime, please don't be discouraged from creating a new article on the same topic, however please be aware that this will be moderated closely.

We have tried to ease off on the moderation as per your requests and we are always around for you guys to share any concerns or views with, at the same time we would ask that you respect our decisons and if you do feel we have over-reacted slightly that you take it up with us in private, as opposed to publicly.

I will keep this thread open for a short time if anyone has any constructive feedback that doesn't include banning people. After that it will be locked.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read,

Regards,

KB

Last edited by King Beer on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Boxing Announcement Empty Re: Boxing Announcement

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm

This afternoon as some of you may well know, the Mayweather/Pacquiao debate thread was locked by Windy.

Locked? Should have been locked, taken out to sea and dumped overboard!

Maybe you could come up with a card system like football. If someone breaches the rules, they get a yellow card. Twice in one day and they're locked out of all threads for a week (pending appeal). Pick up five yellow cards in a three month period, you're banned for a week.

Perhaps we could have a mentor who, in the event of a yellow card offence, could claim they hadn't seen it or it wasn't that bad and the moderation on the boards was unfair, shocking, biased and to the detriiment of Man Utd football clu...erm, I mean, the boxing forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.

A card system is a good suggestion, but put into practice becomes difficult to maintain, especially when deciding what constitutes it, it can be a sticky area and at the moment i think the PM warning system works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 pm

As an Administrator, surely you get to make up the rules as you go. If people don't like they can jolly well go live in France where the rules governing taste, decency and general good behaviour have vanished into the ether on a garlic scented breeze.

See? You could decide arbitrarily whether or not that sentence contravenes the rules and I would have to abide by your decision, however despotic and quite possibly racist (in some way)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm

DAVE667 wrote:As an Administrator, surely you get to make up the rules as you go. If people don't like they can jolly well go live in France where the rules governing taste, decency and general good behaviour have vanished into the ether on a garlic scented breeze.

See? You could decide arbitrarily whether or not that sentence contravenes the rules and I would have to abide by your decision, however despotic and quite possibly racist (in some way)

https://www.606v2.com/t1019-site-rules

these are the site rules but they are reviewed when necessary.

we would never change the rules to punish someone for something which has already happened.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm

we would never change the rules to punish someone for something which has already happened.

So you're like the F.A. in that respect?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Dave,

We don't want to make up the rules as we go, we want to create a forum for all ranges of people to enjoy discussion.

We've taken your feelings about heavy handedness on board and given you more freedom, and we'll continue to allow you that freedom provided you don't overstep the mark.

Just remember, just because we don't always air dirty laundry in public, doesn't mean it doesn't get washed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm

You read me all wrong dear chap. As time goes on I'm loving this forum more and more and can find little to complain about even if I tried really REALLY hard) The format is easy to get to grips with even for a knuckle dragging Luddite like myself and whilst there will always be someone who happens to be a e-thorn in one's side, it's simply par for the course.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

I like the idea of a card system. Would it count for claiming someone is a drugs cheat or that they are a woman beater. Would like to see more done about the accusations and name calling of sportsman if it isn't boxing don't allow it. I like this forum but at times their is not a lot of debate that goes on too often a lot of childish bickering and baiting.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:03 pm

The admin team cant read every post on every thread.

The boxing mods do what they can but also cant be omni present. The answer is to PM them with any problematic posts that you feel are ruining the forum.

This forum will excel if we all take a little responsibility to moderate it (or at least report abuse)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:23 pm

But surely, the reason the boxing part has become the largest, is because not only does it have lots of factual, historical and well written articles, it also includes banter that other sections don't have. Although the many/flyod was getting rediculous, too much admin could kill part of the joy.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 pm

As such, the Mayweather/Pacquiao thread will stay locked. Whether it remains that way will depend on whether new and insightful debate is there to be had. In the meantime, please don't be discouraged from creating a new article on the same topic, however please be aware that this will be moderated closely.
.................................................................................................................

You have to be joking? There's been no developments in this 'fight' & it's only going to turn into the debate you have just locked, you may as well unlock it again. Most who commented on it seemed to enjoy putting there pennys worth in & arguing with D4. I suppose allowing another of these articles will allow D4 to continue posting, he's been a bit quiet since Thursday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Sohotnot,

The reason the article was locked was because of the direction the thread was heading in. The debate was going around in circles and abuse against fellow posters was rife.

If there are new developments and new debates to be had on the subject, then by all means start a new one off. But as KB said, this will be moderated very closely and any repetitive arguments will be removed.

Last edited by Y I Man on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:20 pm

I totally understand your reasons for locking it but I think you should actually put a ban on starting a new one until we hear some new developments with regards to this fight & something concrete that can be verified by the parties involved & not just sourced from some fanboy/hater/idiot's inane ramblings based on who they like, hearsay & speculation, its just asking for trouble. On the old 606 not a day went past without a new post on this subject or another post turning into it & corrupting it. It beggars belief that so much can be said/made up about a fight that is almost 2 years in the making, still not happend & probably wont. Sorry to say it & be so negative but I've very little faith in the subject ever being debated in a civilized way again it just becomes a wum thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:29 pm

There needs to be an element of trust Sohotnot.

I dont think a ban on the subject is necessary, but we are trusting the parties involved to debate it in a sensible and civilised manner should there be more 'official' news on the fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:33 am

I had no intention of contributing here, since I feel that King Beer has done an excellent job by way of explanation.

However, given that the thread has invited a bit of feedback I thought I'd just offer a general point.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are the two greats of their generation and each is an enormous talent. Given the differences in style and - to a far lesser degree - personality, it is natural that they are going to divide opinion, much in the way that, for example, Lewis and Tyson did during the recent past.

We should ALL be able to discuss and debate their relative merits as we see them, and while that doesn't preclude discussing their personalities, I believe that boxing, and their prowess as fighters, should remain the central issue.

Recently, the entire Manny / Floyd issue has degenerated into some farcical morality play, and some fictional ' good v evil ' fairy tale. Worse, it has become so on the basis of the most tenuous speculations, suppositions and suspicions, to the extent that anybody wishing to discuss the boxing issue finds himself first requiring to ' walk through treacle ' and negotiate the labyrinth of innuendo, accusation and a whole lot of other stuff which is, for the most part, unsubstantiated nonsense. The result is that MANY good contributors now feel that the Manny / Floyd issue is a ' no go ' area, and decline to comment.

A situation whereby we cannot enter into mature and respectful debate concerning the two best fighters of a generation cannot be good, and as one of those who is a confirmed neutral, and who appreciates each of them in different ways, I believe there is a great deal of GOOD debate to be had if only we could stick to the issues.

Just my twopennyworth.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 pm

To be honest, we all know who and what the problem is. The moderators know, the regular posters know. It has been said a thousand times. And nothing is ever done about it.

Therefore, the best thing to do is simply to avoid talking about these two fighters. As unfortunate as that may be, it means we can all have an adult conversation. I would also suggest that any even slight attempt to debate the two fighters on an unrelated thread is removed; to show that any such pony will not be tolerated.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:28 pm

It's hard not to talk about them though they are P4P#1&2 and is the biggest fight in the sport. I agree that we all know the problem and until something is done about it nothing will change. Would say it can spoil the forum at times.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Can we get a prediction league
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 pm

After being away for two or three days, I hadn't even noticed the thread had been locked - can't speak for everyone, but that shows how much I'll miss it. To be honest I think it's a fair decision by the mods / admins to lock the thread; the possible fight between the pair, the so-called 'negotiations' which have taken place, the respective merits / faults of both fighters and who each poster thinks will win and why have all been covered from just about every single angle, over and over and over again.

Personally, I reckon the thread should stay completely locked until the day comes that a fight between them is singed - which is looking unlikely anway. The sad thing is, eighteen months ago that would have struck me as a travesty. Now, after the 'sapping my will to live' debate (using that term loosely in some cases) on the old 606, this version and amongst most boxing fans the world over, I honestly find myself not caring if the fight never happens, or sometimes even if I never hear the names of the two protagonists again.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 am

Morning Gents,

Apologies first off for not responding to comments. I was away this weekend and have only just noticed the replies so i'll try to answer a couple of points that may or may not have been dealt with.

AdZacO,

We want you to all enjoy banter, however as Windy said, this thread had gone way past that and needed to be shut down. Believe me, we are not trying to stifle banter, our moderation has eased on you guys because of what you bring to the board.

Sohotnot,

Placing a ban on new articles on the subject is not an option however, your point about new developments is exactly what i was referring to. I don't know the ins and outs of the business or all the facts, but what i do know is that every possible angle has been debated on here, sometimes 2 or 3 times and sometimes with completely ludicrous accusations and claims. It's my hope that the next Manny/Floyd article is announcing the fight.

Prettyboy,

Yes you can have a prediction league.

On a final note i just wanted to mention that i appreciate people taking the time to make positive comments on this thread as it could all too easily have become a powderkeg.

Thanks,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:30 am

Common sense prevails!

See how nice we all get along? And how varied the topics get?

I know you're going to miss PM'ng me admin guys as my dummy won't be getting chucked every other comment! Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:21 am

coxy0001 wrote:Common sense prevails!

See how nice we all get along? And how varied the topics get?

I know you're going to miss PM'ng me admin guys as my dummy won't be getting chucked every other comment! ;)

I didn't even think you bothered to read them, Coxy! ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

King Beer wrote:Morning Gents,

Apologies first off for not responding to comments. I was away this weekend and have only just noticed the replies so i'll try to answer a couple of points that may or may not have been dealt with.

AdZacO,

We want you to all enjoy banter, however as Windy said, this thread had gone way past that and needed to be shut down. Believe me, we are not trying to stifle banter, our moderation has eased on you guys because of what you bring to the board.

Sohotnot,

Placing a ban on new articles on the subject is not an option however, your point about new developments is exactly what i was referring to. I don't know the ins and outs of the business or all the facts, but what i do know is that every possible angle has been debated on here, sometimes 2 or 3 times and sometimes with completely ludicrous accusations and claims. It's my hope that the next Manny/Floyd article is announcing the fight.

Prettyboy,

Yes you can have a prediction league.

On a final note i just wanted to mention that i appreciate people taking the time to make positive comments on this thread as it could all too easily have become a powderkeg.

Thanks,

KB

I think you handled the situation very well & it was probably what a lot of us hoped would happen in the back of our minds. As somebody pointed out there were probably people wanting to post on the subject but chose not to due to the way the thread deteriorated. Sometimes I decide not to post if my view matches that of others & has already been posted, especially on the more popular topics. With regards to me wanting a ban on the subject bit over the top maybe but hopefully as you mentioned guys will refrain from posting until we get something new that is concrete. You also make a good point about how every possible angle has been discussed several times, this as you know was my main bugbear, it has been exhausted.

Now back to the poster that was in question for much of the cause of problems with this thread I always thought he was a at times a clever ( & not so clever) wind up merchant, although to give him some credit on the old 606 he was a reasonable poster on other aspects of boxing, but since I've actually joined the forum as opposed to just viewing its been one way traffic & interestingly enough he has been absent since you locked the thread. Says it all in my opinion unless you have actually banned him, I'm not asking by the way & would prefer not to see people banned, hopefully they see the error of their ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Sohotnot,

The poster in question hasn't been banned. He is very much still a valued contributor. Despite the incident of last week, he does contribute alot to the board and can also debate other specific match ups, i would hope if he has any issue he will contact myself or the other boxing mods.

Cheers,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 am

To be honest I'm glad the Manny Floyd thread has been locked, it just goes in cycles everytime and it's very boring now, oh he'd beat him, oh no he wouldn't he's on steroids, no he's on steroids, who cares anymore?

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I struggle at spelling)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down