The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+51
liverbnz
MustPuttBetter
Davie
bluestonevedder
shclaff
kingraf
jimbohammers
BlueCoverman
MontysMerkin
boyhyde
gaelgowfer
I'm never wrong
Skydriver
puligny
beninho
Hemmingway
matelot golfer
drive4show
goldwolf
Humpyd
kwinigolfer
JAS
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
Sand
SmithersJones
Slowride
Redrage
incontinentia
ralphjohn69
super_realist
Conehead
raycastleunited
oldshanker
Hibbz
Nay
number1hacker
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
golfermartin
Plunky
Fader
mystiroakey
dynamark
McLaren
Doon the Water
hend085
navyblueshorts
EmmDee57
4putt
barragan
55 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by barragan Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fresh thread - you know the score: share some of your tales of woe, indifference and banditry with us all.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:28 am

BBFB on Saturday. Partner played utter, utter garbage and failed to come in on a single hole. Most amusing. Comp sec came over to me after the round and told me he'd have to dq us as our card had all the scores in one column and he couldn't figure out our score (the marker had just put in the gross scores and the gross total). "But if one player comes in on every hole all the scores should be in that players' column shouldn't they?" Comp sec wanders off in delight having never seen that happen before.

In terms of the round itself, after a couple of weeks of terrible golf I came back to some semblance of form, +3 (off 5) with a double, a 3 jack and a lost ball. Everything pretty solid in the main and 29 putts plus it was a lovely day (although there was a fair bit of casual water still).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by dynamark Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:34 am

Navy we did front 9(1-9) stableford back 9(10-18) medal mainly to give the organisers a chance bearing in mind the shotgun start.It worked very well.Only 36 pairs so one game on each hole really quick round.We started on 18 with a bogey six I left a 10 footer hanging over the edge on the damp greens.then we played the stableford holes really well for 24 points(off 3/4 so level par gross)The medal holes we didnt do quite so well making bogey 5 on three of the long par 4s and a disapointing 4 on the last par 3 which is only 150 yds(I missed 4 footer trickle down the slope)But one birdie left us on nett 35 less the 24 for 11 points. Guess what 10 was the win three of us tied on 11.Good day though nice format and definitely played a couple under my handicap.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

That's probably my last round of the year.
Absolutely lovely weather, playing in shorts and shirtsleeves in mid-October, a bit windy and the course still wet after getting drenched these past few weeks.
Put a semi-fat grip on my putter since my last game and really pleased with the results. Fidgetting hands on the grip have been neutralised and alignment seems improved. Much better strike and actually holed some nice putts.

"Foliage" past "peak" but still fabulous colours with the golfcourse so green, the sky so blue and all sorts of reds, yellows and browns clinging on to the trees.

April can't come soon enough.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:22 pm

We were lucky enough to hit weather/foliage like that in upstate NY over the Ryder Cup weekend -- makes you feel sorry for the non-golfers in your life doesn't it ? To cap the perfect day on the sunday I hit an approach shot on one hole (from the rough under a tree) that turned out so well that the guys on the next tee gave me a round of applause -- doesn't happen to me too often ! We're playing on Cape Cod next week so really looking forward to that. Yahoo Last year we played Bethpage pretty much all through the winter, but we're unlikely to get that lucky two years in row.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

Enjoy Cape Cod Plunky; I don't think we ever heard how our friend got on who was seeking advice.
How far Upstate did you get ? We were in the ADK foothills a couple of weeks ago; course absolutely beautiful.
How accessible is Bethpage via public transport? My son leaves for a year in Brooklyn this evening and he'd love to play if he knew he could get to a course that was open. Clubs on trains no problem for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 18 Oct 2012, 7:06 pm

We were in Windham. There are two courses there -- the Country Club (which is still recovering from Irene), and the Mountain Course which is part of the inn where we stay. Both are fun courses, and the Inn is a popular destination for outings for NY City golfers (3 hr drive for us). Going there from NYC it always feels a bit like stepping back in time.

Bethpage is extremely accessible. It's a relatively short cab ride from the closest LIRR station. We played there one saturday this summer with a young couple who had car-pooled a rental car with friends from Queens (you know you're going to have a slow day when you're paired with a woman who's wearing flip-flops!). Or if he wants to go slumming with a couple of high-handicappers he can get the train to our local stop and come with us (we're there almost every weekend) !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Oct 2012, 7:51 pm

Thanks Plunky, You never know!

Never been to Windham, but lovely countryside around there.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 18 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

Kwini

I have heard tales of people sleeping in cars overnight in the queue to play the black course. Maybe it was just in the 2002 post tiger hype. Not sure people sleep in cars to play at the site of Lucas glovers 7 iron pitch off the 72nd on route to victory.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:03 pm

Mac,
I think that's true, but the other courses are said to be pretty good and much more accessible. They might be the easiest opportunity for my lad to get a game.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

People do indeed sleep in cars at Bethpage to play the black or red courses -- we see them there every weekend ! Some of the regulars show up in vans fully equipped with table/chairs/beer/cards etc to make a night of it. We keep meaning to go out on the Black twilight when it quietens down and play a few holes, but haven't got around to it yet. I've been improving on the yellow & blue this year, maybe it's time to try the red and black !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 22 Oct 2012, 10:24 am

Late eighties some of the London municipals were the same.Harefield place nr uxbridge - night out then sleep in the car till dawn cars parked in order of play.I think it was just roll up and play in those days no bookings.Club did a cracking trade in fried breakfasts.
Just a fun game for us on the weekend but we decided to play later in the day 11.30 tee time with up and down side.Upside was the fog cleared and it was a lovely autumn day to show off the many colours,cracking beef soup at halfway and won a fiver,downside the dreaded 5 hour round as agianst 4 hrs 10 mins at our usual early time.two ball behind us packed in at half way.No long waits just following(slowly) the game in front.we are doing the same next week and my mate who is next years captain is considering trying to do something about it.no bad thing for the general benefit of all members.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

Dyna, you have my sympathy.

We've had medal competitions the last 2 weekends and on both occassions it has taken our fourball 5 hours to get round. Can't even blame how packed the course was as it wasn't yesterday due to the poor weather. I should add that we weren't at the head of the 5 hour round 'snake' but at the end of it!!

It's getting to the strange where I don't look forward to playing golf anymore. Crying or Very sad

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:07 am

Club 4bbb semi last night. We came good and won 4&2. Dovetailed well other than both dumping short pitches into the burn at the front of the ninth green where a pitch and 2 putts would probably have been enough to win the hole Doh both lost balls off the 11th too furious but pulled together over the next 5 with our opponents falling off. Highlights were par 3s for me - 6iron to 10th ft and holed on the 2nd. 3 iron to 15ft on 6 and left the putts in the jaws, 4iron to 20 feet on 10 another left short... Then 7 iron inside 10 feet on 14 and holed out to go 3up. Won the match on 16 after knocking my 8 iron to 5ft and bashing it in to close the door...good times. 4 or 5 sixes on my card so may have to play a bit better on Wednesday if we are going to regain the trophy we won 2 years ago.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 24 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

Staying in your car overnight to play the black course ... did it twice, which was enough for me! A caddie at my club just did it last week. Before they issued wristbands, cut by starter at the first tee, there was quite a (excuse pun) black market for those tee times. Wall streeters would roll up at 8am and buy from someone who spent the night. Quite a complex.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

I read this thread with envy now, after being restricted to the driving range I realise how fortunate you are to be able to play regular!!

As they say, you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:56 pm

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

nett? Laugh

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:09 pm

barragan wrote:nett? Laugh

Used to like you barragan mad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

raspberry

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

how's the handicap ?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:13 pm

Went up to 6 a few weeks ago, got last stableford of the year on Saturday so praying for a good round to get back down to Cat 1. How are you playing?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

slipped up to 6.6 mid season but finished well with 4 cuts in the last 9 comps - finished 5.2.
season finished too soon for me, or rather i got going too late steam

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

That's a really good strong finish, work on that over the winter and aim for 4 next year thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

thanks - 4 would be good, but just don't have the same time as last season to practice etc now we've a little boy. can only see my golf time diminishing for the foreseeable future unless he decides he'd like take the game up himself of course! can see myself sitting around 5-6 quite comfortably though - perhaps the odd spell where i might go higher, but probably hover mainly around 5.5-5.9ish.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:23 pm

Same late morning tee time on saturday.Decent clear day but the wind got up .Gave up after 9 holes in the cold wind,15 points and 2/12 hours of my life had passed by.Slight lack of incentive at present no comps till december.Couple of games in the week though to look forward too

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:22 am

dynamark wrote:Late eighties some of the London municipals were the same.Harefield place nr uxbridge - night out then sleep in the car till dawn cars parked in order of play.I think it was just roll up and play in those days no bookings.Club did a cracking trade in fried breakfasts.

wow, Harefield Place, that's a name I've not heard for a long time. Doubt anyone queues up to play that course any more. A gas pipeline was installed at the far end of the course (near the A40) several years ago and they dug up 6 holes (9 - 14). The course only has 12 holes now. Was never a fan of that place but I've heard it is a mess now

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:42 am

Did you ever play there Ray?My mate had the clubhouse/bar franchise from the council for a good few years so used to visit a bit.Not much of a track but good enthusiastic crowd.Played the proam there one year with rob lee and he was 4 under after 3!.Always look across at it when coming down the A40 and now you mention it I can see those holes have been left -dreadful slopes at that end of the course.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:04 am

I used to play at Harefield a couple of times a year. Was never a fan, but it was on the "rota" of courses that my mates and I would play every year.

I remember one summer the fairways were rock hard and you couldn't keep the ball on the sloping fairways... the course was almost unplaybable.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 04 Nov 2012, 9:48 am

Finally nailed a decent medal round in our Turkey shoot yesterday, got a bit of a break on the first after taking 4 minutes to find drive & duffing 2nd (from the crap lie that made it hard to find). Got away with the par and that settled me. Just like last week felt pretty much in control for most of the round. Didn't even let missing a 1 foot tap in straddled over playing partners line on the 7th unsettle me. A 74 in the end which could oh so easily have been 2-3 better. Was really looking forward to my first cut since April but on reflection I suspect that the tee positions may have rendered it a non qualifier.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:21 pm

Another 'Joke' 3 man Texas Scramble at my club. Par 70, Off the yellows and we must be the only club in the world to play 20% handicap, allegedly it's much fairer said the group of 15 handicappers who form the committee ! Needless to say it was tough conditions with 3 woods into some greens from less than 200 yards. 6 birdies and no bogeys for our team to shoot 61.2 with our handicap adjustment. Good score we thought, wrong! A team that through handicap(one was off28) that had net 60 before they even teed off walked it with 57 net. Told committee to stuff there 20% scrambles up there pooper from now on!!

Last edited by matelot golfer on Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More justification!!)

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 05 Nov 2012, 8:53 am

Winter League (BBFB matchplay) kicked off on Saturday. First week victory 2 up. 4 up through 4 with partner in scintillating form (net 2,3,3,3). Cue thoughts of "we've got em" so obviously they proceeded to claw their way back to level through 15. Buckled down to grind 2 of the next 3 to chalk it up.

Chilly and breezy but sunny and dry. Long may it continue...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 06 Nov 2012, 9:16 am

Ha, Sat was a qualifier after all, nice little .6 cut to 6.5. Can quite happily over winter on that but I'll also quite happily take another cut in one of the 2 remaining qualifiers I've got left.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemmingway Sun 11 Nov 2012, 10:58 pm

Played at Ballyliffin yesterday (Glashedy course) £30 for open entry. That is some course! Anyone on here ever played there?

Hemmingway

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:47 am

Second winter league match. Played extremely well. 3 under through 13 (-7 net) partner was about 5 under his handicap too.

We got battered 3&2 (only 15 holes open). Opponents were phenomenal, 12 under net for the 13 holes with a bogey. Pretty much perfect exhibition of dovetailing.

Nothing more we could have done on the day. Pack up and have a pint.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 12 Nov 2012, 1:27 pm

Hemmingway wrote:Played at Ballyliffin yesterday (Glashedy course) £30 for open entry. That is some course! Anyone on here ever played there?

Yeah played both courses there, can't remember which is which though. Shot one over par on the main course Cool

That was at the end of a fantastic week where we played Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo, Co Donegal, Rosapenna then Ballyliffen. Think it's fair to say my swing was well grooved in by then!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:37 pm

Played in Cornwall Winter Golf Series yesterday at Perranporth. Lovely weather with just a slight breeze blowing and greens as fast as Lino!! Had the pleasure of playing behind Ben Westgate, +4 handicap, amatuer ranking 157th. Watched him knock it round in comfortable 4 under. Makes my 4 over look like a bad knock!! Different class that. Hope I get a draw to play with him over one of the 3 remaining matches at either Newquay, Trevose or St Enodoc in the coming couple of months.

Last edited by matelot golfer on Mon 12 Nov 2012, 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Speeling and a bit more info)

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemmingway Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

drive4show wrote:
Hemmingway wrote:Played at Ballyliffin yesterday (Glashedy course) £30 for open entry. That is some course! Anyone on here ever played there?

Yeah played both courses there, can't remember which is which though. Shot one over par on the main course Cool

That was at the end of a fantastic week where we played Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo, Co Donegal, Rosapenna then Ballyliffen. Think it's fair to say my swing was well grooved in by then!
There is the Old Course and the Glashedy course. The old course is (obviously) the original and a bit shorter that the Glashedy which is narrower and longer. To shoot one over was some golfin, D4S. I'd say you had a touch of windburn after that week! notworthy

Hemmingway

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:34 pm

on the range for an hour or so yesterday afternoon and again this morning. lovely yesterday - was in a little sun trap and had the jumper off it was so warm. lovely day considering we're nearly in december. off to kilspindie tomorrow - forecast looks ok, but could be very windy...

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 22 Nov 2012, 3:28 pm

Hellopeeps .Unemployed but looking (not to hard)enjoying a few rounds in the Leics winter alliance played every thursday.last week was my old club Hinckley and partner made 1 on the third ,didnt see it go in unfortunately as the pin was tucked away but happy days,took the 2 sweep money and second overall on countback.Feet still sore and quite a common problem im finding from speaking to others.Hope everyone is well.No computer at home at present but saved by the library service.I knew all that council tax would pay off in the end

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 3:50 pm

Sorry to hear that mark. I was unemployed for around 10 months until July (though I did work at a car wash for about 6 of those months). A complete pain in the airse. Hope something comes along soon.

I've also have had sore feet after the last few games. Hoping my arches aren't giving way below my Lowry-esque physique. Off to the links tomorrow so will be interesting to see if its any easier on firm ground.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:12 pm

Do not underestimate any footpain.Ive had about 6 months now and slowly improving due to expensive shoes and physio.feel ine overall but cannot stress enough -look after your feet.I can play about every 10 days but after 12 holes its tough.Nver gave it a thought before know all about it now.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 27 Nov 2012, 11:32 pm

Serious question : how do you look after your feet ?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:54 pm

Ray I did the damage with worn out leaky shoes for 3 rounds over 3 days after spending a couple of days in old trainers working hard up and down stairs on on my knees laying a floor.
Medical/physio advice now is top quality shoes(asiscs trainers,footjoys for golf)never walk around barefoot even in the house,
insoles in day shoes,cut nails,most effective thing as a cure is a big effort to stretch hamstrings every couple of hours which takes pressure off of the ligaments in the bottom of the foot.Pain killing gel if really needed.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:45 pm

Most frustrating day on a wonderful course. Played the Hotchkin today in their Xmas meeting. Felt sure they'd be on temps as the place was white with frost but no...we were on full greens. The frustrating bit was you could never quite be sure as the sun started to burn off the frost whether or not an approach shot was going to hold, putting was also all over the place as some greens see more winter sunshine then others. Got just about every decision wrong (after bouncing a couple through the green early on I then started taking less club and leaving them short). Managed to avoid most of the cavernous bunkers except for 1 just short left of the 6th green....carnage...almost a cigar moment!!
25 points with 4 blobs, never really got a break but hey ho, in the middle of trying to make changes so expectations were low. Would love to play it on a balmy summers evening

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 01 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

Not a great player, but today shot an 86! Which is best score for years. Played at Richings Park in Buckinghamshire. Nice enough course and pretty close to my house. No temps ever. Started at 9am was a bit chilly..and first 4 greens like putting on ice. par 70 and shot two 43's. 6 pars 4 doubles the rest bogeys. Current todays golfer handicap had me at 21 and after this dropped to 20. So cannot really complain. Always nice to be out for last round of the year.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:08 pm

Well played Beninho, just looked at where Richings Park is. A good mate of mine (non golfer though) lives just a few hundred yards away.

Cheeky wee win for us in winter knockout today against 2 very steady 5 handicappers, 3 down after 4 but never panicked, some good stuff but with the odd shocker thrown in. clinched it with a hard worked par on 17. Pleased to get through and with a decent performance given the swing work going on.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 03 Dec 2012, 1:21 pm

Very frustrating day for me yesterday in the monthly stableford. Course was in fantastic condition and barely a puff of wind so it was really quite pleasant in the sunshine. Started birdie, birdie, par, par, bogey, par, eagle to be -3 after 7 holes then just started to fritter away silly shots and finished up with a 76, 5 over par. Still, not all bad as I entered the 2's sweep and had one on the 1st. In the buffer zone as well but it really was a missed opportunity.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Hi folks had a look through the other threads very interesting too know/knew a couple of suicide cases and you would never know why frankly.
Had the Xmas shoot scramble at the weekend and we all pitched in to a 10 birdie effort coming close second to a team with a better handicap.Good news prize was a bottle of Gordons sloe gin.Yes it has gone finished last evening as a purely medicinal cold cure! best wishes to all for Xmas.Should be on line early jan

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:39 am

Slightly odd game yesterday. Playing in a Winter League match and started as if I'd forgotten how to hit a ball so lucky to be only ~4-over par after 5 holes. Then proceeded to make dramatic improvements for the rest of the round and finished ~1-over which included some good short game stuff. If I could drive, I'd be truly dangerous.

Good match except the guy in the opposing pair off 11 proceeded to go round in about +4 with a level par back 9!
Nice weather though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 17 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Spent an hour on the range hitting balls for first time in 6 months following injury. Wonderful.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next