The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 4 Players Above The Rest Because of Their Defence

+2
socal1976
noleisthebest
6 posters

Go down

Top 4 Players Above The Rest  Because of Their Defence Empty Top 4 Players Above The Rest Because of Their Defence

Post by noleisthebest Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

so says Ivan Ljubicic in his most recent interview:

Ivan Ljubicic tells the New York Times that the reason why the "Big 4" of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and Andy Murray are dominating is due more to their excellent defense than standout offense. Former Top 5 player Ljubicic will retire after next week’s tournament in Monte Carlo.

"The young guys coming up, if they want to be competitive with Djokovic, Nadal and Murray, they cannot defend better than them, it’s not possible," Ljubicic said. "So they have to attack. I think the tactical game of tennis is going to change, and I think in the next five to 10 years, we’re going to have big guys, probably very aggressive guys."

Ljubicic, who is close friends with Federer and is also a buddy of No. 1 Djokovic, says that the despite winning four of the last five majors, the Serbian still has a big upside.

"Even now, when I go out to eat with him and I’m hanging around him, you see how focused he is on his life and tennis," Ljubicic said. "He’s really careful what he eats, how much he eats, what he drinks. He’s totally focused. He wants this thing to last. He’s not happy with what he’s achieved. He wants more, and he’s going to get more, that’s for sure."

Very interesting insight from a seasoned, quality player that has spanned two different tennis eras.

My dilemma is whether the top guys are that good defending or perhaps the young guns aren't that good with their offence.
slower playing conditions naturally don't help attacking tennis, however, that argument doesn't hold water, since the conditions are the same for all.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by noleisthebest on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Top 4 Players Above The Rest  Because of Their Defence Empty Re: Top 4 Players Above The Rest Because of Their Defence

Post by socal1976 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

Well I think speed has played an ever increasing role in all physical sports. And tennis contrary to popular opinion has always been a physical game it isn't golf or billiards. I think it will be very hard nowadays to find a player that doesn't move well and to see him have success. It is become a prerequisite to success to be very fast on the feet and fitter and fitter. I think the next progression is a player who has del po's size and power but moves more like Murray or Djokovic. The closest things we have on tour are guys like Monfils or Tsonga but they seem to lack consistency or work ethic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Top 4 Players Above The Rest  Because of Their Defence Empty Re: Top 4 Players Above The Rest Because of Their Defence

Post by noleisthebest Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

socal1976 wrote:I think the next progression is a player who has del po's size and power but moves more like Murray or Djokovic. The closest things we have on tour are guys like Monfils or Tsonga but they seem to lack consistency or work ethic.

I hope not.

Look what happened in Italy today (the guy died on the pitch from cardiac arrest):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlTzH0WbFk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgjhe-xe7PA&feature=player_embedded

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

I agree with him. The best players in terms of court coverage, speed and retrieving lost causes are the top 4. They are not slightly better, they are miles better. On a good day the likes of Tsonga and Del Potro can match them in terms of power and aggression, but nobody ever defends as well as them.

Novak in particular has taken it to a new level. Some of the balls he gets to defy belief. He has a little bit more elasticity than Nadal and Murray, and tends to do a bit more with it when he gets there than the others.

The one thing I slightly disagree with is how young players need to penetrate that group. I don't think it can be done without a great defence. Not in this generation anyway. I think young players have to have that speed and athleticism if they want to break into that group. Some people may hate it, but defence has become a huge part of the game at the top.

Personally, I'm not complaining. I love the way the top 4 play.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm

DelPo is ahead of his time, but now physically frail. What's coming is the antidote to the retrievers, which is more power. Could be Raonic when he get his game together.
I only wish we'd get a McEnroe for the era to skill them all off but conditions may need to change to permit this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm

Good to hear it. I have read that his coach Vajda said that Nole was his last player who coaches.
When thinking about Ivo's words, I do not think that something can change dramatically regarding the game if the surfaces will not get faster. Nole's return is so aggresive as never has been before. His groundstrokes has very good depth and angles, so there is no potential to shorten up the rallies to avoid a high risk of making errors. I do not see any player who can outplay Nole by an offending game now.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

paulcz wrote:Good to hear it. I have read that his coach Vajda said that Nole was his last player who coaches.
When thinking about Ivo's words, I do not think that something can change dramatically regarding the game if the surfaces will not get faster. Nole's return is so aggresive as never has been before. His groundstrokes has very good depth and angles, so there is no potential to shorten up the rallies to avoid a high risk of making errors. I do not see any player who can outplay Nole by an offending game now.

Yes, the way things are looking, you'll need someone to outNole Nole.

The thing that a lot of people kind of take for granted and don't value it as much as they should is Novak's outstanding athleticism, probably because they confuse it with fitness or stamina, also, because it's not an exclusively tennis related "talent".

That is just as powerful a weapon as Fed's forehand or Nadal's left arm Wink

When I saw him close up in O2 against Berdych, I could not believe how good it was, his balance in most awkward and hopeless positions, toatally breath-taking.

Seriously underestimated in my opinion.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 15 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

Novak is an astounding athlete/mover...but then so are Federer and Nadal. All these 3 are...you cant win multislams/masters without being an amazing mover...and thats nothing to do with stamina, or even training really, its an innate ability to get into position as well as transition between strokes. Its what usually marks these players out from a very early age...generally their foot-eye co-ordination is so much better than the others, and they have amazing inbuilt footwork to be able to exploit that co-ordination too.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down