The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia

+29
Comfort
Rory_Gallagher
Hound_of_Harrow
Ozzy3213
Barney McGrew did it
thomh
HammerofThunor
Seagultaf
Luckless Pedestrian
EngInAuck
damngoodOvalball
Hood83
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
GunsGerms
mckay1402
ChequeredJersey
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
KickAndChase
sugarNspikes
doctornickolas
LordDowlais
George Carlin
johnpartle
timhen
Taffineastbourne
red_stag
maestegmafia
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia Empty Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Sun 15 Apr 2012, 8:48 pm

Following the polls for your opinions on positional selections for the tour, there are a couple of spaces left. Outside chances, guys not at the fore front who may bag a shirt...

Lets hear your opinions on who else should likely be included. A currently injured player or one who may soon find form they previously displayed. Old or Young but not a fore runner in the polls. Do NOT SELECT PLAYERS LISTED BELOW

15. Kearny, Foden

14. Bowe and either Ashton

13. O'Driscoll, Tuilagi

12. Jamie Roberts and Brad Barritt

11. North and either Sharples or Trimble

10. Sexton, Farrell and either Flood or Priestland

9. Phillips, Youngs and Blair

8. Morgan and Denton

7. Warburton and Rennie

6. Ferris and Lydiate

5. Gray and Lawes

4. POC and either Ian Evans or Geoff Parling

3. Adam and Cole

2. Best and Hartley

1. Gethin and Corbisiero

Utility backs and Forwards are

Earls, Jonny May, Sean O'Brien, Kelly Brown and Ryan Jones

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia

Post by red_stag Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm

Stuart Hogg from Scotland. Scored a hat trick against Munster last night at 13 and lit up the Scottish 6 Nations matches at 15.

Tom Wood from England. If Warburton were to get an injury this is who I would be looking at for the Lions #7 shirt.

Ian Madigan from Ireland. The flyhalf position is completely open. With Leigh Halfpenny covering the goal kicks this absolute gem of a player could nip in ahead of the equally promising but still incomplete Farrell and Priestland.

Cian Healy from Ireland. Looshead has become very very open but it wouldn't surprise me to see Gethin lose out to Cian Healy who is growing into an excellent prop.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Outside Choices of the Home Nations for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Ken Owens and Cronin at hooker.Both pretty useful players.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

Richardt Strauss is going to be Irish qualified soon. He could end up touring.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

Aaron Shingler, covers the backrow and lock his season gets better every game.

Tavis Knoyle, currently injured, butwhen on form I think he is the best scrum half I've seen in a very long time.

Ken Owens, great in the loose good work at the line out. Growing all the time at the Scarlets.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

Haskell, who was for some reason omitted from the utility forward poll. Behind O'Brien, but like O'Brien has international experience at 6, 7 & 8, making him a good bench option.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

Outside possibilities from an England perspective for the bolter spot would be Joseph, Wade & Twelvetrees. Looking at the centres chosen by 606 we're a little short on creativity.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

johnpartle wrote: Looking at the centres chosen by 606 we're a little short on creativity.

To be covered later...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:41 am

Surely to feck we have better young options at 13 than Old Man River and the Quay Jumper?

I agree that Hogg and Madigan could be bolters. Both young, quick and very skilful.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:45 am

OMG, I cannot believe some of the choices in the team you have, it just goes to show how biased some of the people on here are. I seriously cannot beleive that enough people voted for Dylan "stand up" Hartley. There are about half a dozen players better than him in Great Britain and Ireland. Doh I am just glad we are not picking this squad or it will be full of our own nationality players. To be honest though, if I were picking the squad I would have mostly welshies in there, but at least I'm honest. Tuilagi Doh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

I think on the polls most people voted for their own man not who is the best.

This squad doesn't include the best centre in Britain and Ireland this year , Jon 'The Fox' Davies for instance but does include 3 bosh bosh merchants in Roberts, Barritt and Tuilagi and a player who hasn't played all season.

Utility backs, Jonny May? Who? Unless you watch the English Premiership then you probably have no idea who he is like me. And yet he is voted on here ahead of people with huge amounts of international experience.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:45 am

doctornickolas wrote:I think on the polls most people voted for their own man not who is the best.
Which is why these polls are pointless. Welsh posters especially just see a Welsh player and vote for them. It's known as the 'Henson factor'. There were also loads of players missing who should have been there and players out of position.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:I think on the polls most people voted for their own man not who is the best.
Which is why these polls are pointless. Welsh posters especially just see a Welsh player and vote for them. It's known as the 'Henson factor'. There were also loads of players missing who should have been there and players out of position.

And what about the above selections of an England player in each of the backs positions and the likes of Hartley.

And some guy called May who has never even played international rugby??

The English were one of the worst on these selections. I can't think of anyone else who would be voting for the likes of Ashton at this moment in time.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:18 am

doctornickolas wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

And what about the above selections of an England player in each of the backs positions and the likes of Hartley.

The English were one of the worst on these selections. I can't think of anyone else who would be voting for the likes of Ashton at this moment in time.
It seems you're just upset that English players are selected at all. Do you boo them when they play for the Lions? Poor show. Silly polls

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

How about everyone puts a few names down for some excellent suggestions for who may improve the squad voted for rather than quibbling over who is More blinkered in their personal opinion?

If you value another player not in the list above suggest them now and help find redemption for the suggested squad rather than argue national bias.

Better to be positive right? The poll reflects the whole board not one individual. That is presuming that one individual is not using multiple user accounts...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:31 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

It seems you're just upset that English players are selected at all. Do you boo them when they play for the Lions? Poor show. Silly polls

I knew I shouldn't come on here in half term.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

maestegmafia wrote:How about everyone puts a few names down for some excellent suggestions for who may improve the squad voted for rather than quibbling over who is More blinkered in their personal opinion?

If you value another player not in the list above suggest them now and help find redemption for the suggested squad rather than argue national bias.

Better to be positive right? The poll reflects the whole board not one individual. That is presuming that one individual is not using multiple user accounts...!
Don't worry I'll just ignore dowlais and drnick. Good idea.

Christian Wade is my vote

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

Visser & Hogg. How JD2 is not up there I have no idea whatsoever.

Here's a balanced backline for you:

9 Blair
10 Sexton
11 North / Visser
12 Davies
13 O'Driscoll
14 Bowe
15 Hogg

20 Youngs
21 Farrell
22 Halfpenny

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

I am talking through shear bias here but I cant't see Fatletau NOT being involved in any match day squad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I am talking through shear bias here but I cant't see Fatletau NOT being involved in any match day squad.

True mate. Any others?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 17 Apr 2012, 9:38 am

Faletau is behind Morgan and Heaslip but could tour if he improves his handling.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 9:40 am

Jon Davies??? How is he not on the list so far?

Huw Bennett and Ryan Jones are possibles looking at Gats being head coach, as these two are ever present match day squad members.

Steve Shingler may be an interesting choice, not capped internationally due to the qualification issues, but he is most certainal qualified for the B&I Lions.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

Wade. Weir. Baby Kearney. Tipuric
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm

Oh and on May, if you watched HEC rugby you should know him because he singlehandedly took Toulouse to pieces at the Shed
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

I would add Aaron Shingler too. He's been playing really well and could be an outside shout by then...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:57 pm

Stuart hogg should definitely travel. So should Heaslip even if he isnt on top form he is still better than other candidates.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Oh and on May, if you watched HEC rugby you should know him because he singlehandedly took Toulouse to pieces at the Shed
He was equally poor though last weekend in defence. Let's see how he progresses. Better at outside Center than the myriad of positions he is currently being shifted around.. Good lad but very very green at the moment.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Apr 2012, 1:56 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:Faletau is behind Morgan and Heaslip but could tour if he improves his handling.

Faletau is ahead of Morgan in all aspects of his game, heads lip is still the best eight in the home nations but a close run with Faletau who can do it all and very well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:Faletau is behind Morgan and Heaslip but could tour if he improves his handling.

Faletau is ahead of Morgan in all aspects of his game, heads lip is still the best eight in the home nations but a close run with Faletau who can do it all and very well.
I think Dozer Denton might have something to say about that, lads

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Disagree. Faletau has a number of weaknesses to his game including handling, carrying and control at the back of the scrum. Decent in defence though. Morgan is a much more complete player.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I think Dozer Denton might have something to say about that, lads
Oops. Yep, put Denton is the mix too. Faletau 4th in the pecking order but he may go because of Gatts (probably true of a few other Welsh players).

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

My outside tip is Jonathan Joseph to go as cover at 13 and wing.

A real talent that lad, could be a bolter.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Not a chance Faletau is better at carrying in the tight than Morgan. Everything else, perhaps, certainly got a monster engine. At the moment, he does everything very well for me, but not world class...yet. His work-rate however is as good as any backrower in the world i think. If we played him i'd want Ferris at 6 rather than Lydiate for extra carrying ability.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 17 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

Toby and Ben Morgan are IMO pretty evenly matched, however Morgan offers more when the game is tight and you need the hard yards, and Toby offers more when the game is a bit more open and he can make one of his centre like runs through a gap in the defence.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

Not sure about that. Faletau is by far the fittest player and his defence in the 6N was seriously good. I'd say that him, Morgan and Heaslip are fairly well matched at the moment. The next 6N is going to be awesome given the extra incentive of Lions tour places up for grabs.

To answer the origional post, surely a player like Jonny May should currently be in this category. Maes, have you seen much of him in the prem?

Also, if the squad was named tomorrow, I'd be surprised if Hogg wasnt in it.

I also want to see Tom Wood tour assuming he hits the form he was in pre injury

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Jonny may does look good at outside Center, though his defence looked suspect last weekend. Young guy though with it all ahead of him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

Is he really behind Morgan, both are so different in style it will come down to what game style the coach wants.

I agree that if Heaslip regains form then he is head and shoulders above both but Morgan looked as if he struggled on occasions for the full 80 so I wouldn't say he is ahead of Faletau and thats with an unbiased head on.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Jonny may does look good at outside Center

It's a position he's played only a handful of times in his 47 games for Gloucester's 1st XV, principally during the WC with a number of players away.

He's played his best rugby on the wing or as an attacking FB. He'll get his England caps on the wing or as bench cover.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:40 am

Cant really say much about other nations but id say from England you have :

Wade
Monye
Haskell
Cipriani
May

And basically any other player that has the potential there are too many ! Drool
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:00 am

maestegmafia wrote:Jonny may does look good at outside Center, though his defence looked suspect last weekend. Young guy though with it all ahead of him.
He rarely plays outside centre.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

Have we a team of uncapped players who could travel. Thats a good one:

01 Joe Marler
02 Richard Strauss
03 Rhodri Jones
04 Joe Launchbury
05 James Gaskell
06 Aaron Shingler
07 Jonathan Edwards
08 Thomas Waldrom
09 Karl Dickson
10 Ian Madigan
11 Simon Zebo
12 Ashley Beck
13 Jonathan Jospeh
14 Johnny May
15 Alex Goode

Realistically there won't be a good enough uncapped player for some positions. Some are genuine bolters though.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:43 am

Stag - Shingler is not only capped, but he has a grandslam medal
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:49 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Stag - Shingler is not only capped, but he has a grandslam medal

He has looked very useful too. Covering both lock and flanks. Did a great job stepping in at seven against the scots at the last minute.

I would take him for sure

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

Oh really? Thought he was uncapped. I knew he was in squad this year but thought he didn't play.

Anyway yes I like the bloke; a good player
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:00 am

I'd have Gareth Davies of the Scarlets at scrum half and Duncan Weir at outside half. But seeing as Davies hasn't had a look-in with Wales and Andy Robinson prefers Greig Laidlaw and Ruaridh Jackson for Scotland, it's not going to happen.

sugarNspikes wrote:Faletau has a number of weaknesses to his game including handling, carrying and control at the back of the scrum. Decent in defence though

If handling and carrying are weaknesses to Toby Faletau's game, then Adam Jones can't scrummage and George North needs to work on his physicality.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

red_stag wrote:Oh really? Thought he was uncapped. I knew he was in squad this year but thought he didn't play.

He started against Scotland at open side. Did well too. We had Warburton and Tuperic out injured.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:If handling and carrying are weaknesses to Toby Faletau's game, then Adam Jones can't scrummage and George North needs to work on his physicality.
He does fumble the ball a fair bit and his carrying isn't the strongest aspect of his game. He's primarily a tackler.

North's size and physicality is beginning to count against him in terms of injury. Adam Jones is a fine scrummager.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

maestegmafia wrote:
red_stag wrote:Oh really? Thought he was uncapped. I knew he was in squad this year but thought he didn't play.

He started against Scotland at open side. Did well too. We had Warburton and Tuperic out injured.

Ah that explains it. I was abroad for that round of games. Only managed to see Italy v England and France v Ireland (well it was frozen actually).
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

red_stag wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Ah that explains it. I was abroad for that round of games. Only managed to see Italy v England and France v Ireland (well it was frozen actually).
not a great days viewing for you then...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 18 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

That's a different Shingler. Good uncapped side that, but I'd be tempted to play May at 15 so that Wade can play Wink or Baby Kearney
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next