The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Premiership 2012/2013

+4
Brendan
thebluesmancometh
ScarletSpiderman
Welshmushroom
8 posters

Go down

Welsh Premiership 2012/2013 Empty Welsh Premiership 2012/2013

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Looking at the Premiership for next season 2012/2012, the WRU have confirmed the status of 10 clubs that will underpin regional rugby in Wales. They are:-
Neath, Cross Keys, Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Bedwas, Llandovery, Llanelli, Aberavon & Pontypridd
Now there is no question the format needed changing and this will give all 10 clubs within it a clear mandate to produce players and give youngsters exposure to high level rugby.

But as a Dragons fan I am really concerned that this model is so wrong. Firstly, we have 4 regions so should either have a 12 or 8 team league so each region has an equal representation. North Wales have not been included with their side so where do they fit in? Surely promotion to the Rabbo would be a bit soon for them? Or have the WRU given up on that project?

Ok so that aside, here is the major issue I have as a Dragons fan. Looking at it 4 of the 10 representing sides are actually based in the same location as the Regional side. Now call me crazy but the fans in those areas hardly turn out for Pro Level Rugby. It seems crazy that we know give them the Semi Pro status as well. I appreciate that the WRU used set criteria and that the facilities may be better but basically we have certain areas of any chance to get there now. I know there is an application process but with the inclusion of Swansea, Cardiff, Newport and Llanelli I doubt those 4 will ever change.
The real point here for me is if the Dragons should have selected 2 or 3 sides to represent them at Semi Pro Level it probably should have been Crosskeys, Ebbw Vale and Newbridge. That’s only because I believe those 3 above all other in Gwent are in fact the lifeblood that makes up Gwent Rugby. The whole point of the Regional setup should have been to develop areas and in the long term maybe hold the occasional Pro game there to establish a real connection with surrounding areas. I just don’t understand this logic. Facilities can be improved (or at least people can travel to Regional facilities if need be) and players can be moved. Surely the mandate should have been to allow as many areas as possible access to Semi Pro Rugby.
I’m really disappointed with the announcement……

What’s your view on this?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Welsh Premiership 2012/2013 Empty Re: Welsh Premiership 2012/2013

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

I thought that Bridgend and Carmarthen Quins get given a reprieve, which would make it up to 12 teams (instead of 14?).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 3:56 pm

It's nothing to do with that though is it WM. It's all to do with A Grade licenses, hence why Pooler aren't in it. Does Eugene Cross Park count as an A Grace ground? I know Newbridge's Welfare Ground can't be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

No but thats the point though - are we saying that facilties should be what we base it on? I cant help the little tradition in the game is being killed off with this move. At any rate - ive been to Crosskeys loads this season and their ground isnt exactly "quality" either, so who exactly rates the venues?
I know its all about the licenses but they should have looked at the bigger picture here in my opinion.

Scarlet, have you got a link? All i can find is the WRU statement moving to 10 teams?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

WM - RGC are due to join the Welsh Prem but there is no set date as of yet, thing they are wanting them to have a couple more seasons developing first before it happens. But it will happen at some point, then they can play in the Welsh prem for a bit before being launched as a region when/if possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

Ye this is all a case of those who can afford the upgrade get prem rugby!

Like regional rugby this is going to prove a momentous waste of time and resources, give it 5 years and we'll be talking about the next restructure!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

why isn't every region player attached to a prem club like in Ireland. It seems stupid that if North was injured and played a game in the prem to get up to speed the Scarlets can send to him to any of their clubs.

When Paul o'Connell was injured there was no doubt as to where he would go.

I think It would be better if the regions had x number of players distributed equallly between their clubs say 60/20 but obivously the first team is unlikely to ever play for the clubs

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

Because Brendan that would make too much sense, and when an important playoff happened they wouldn't be able to plough the team with regional players

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:07 pm

For the play-offs you have a minium number of games that they must of played and also x in the last five say 3 of the last 5.
As you say that would be too logical and also it would do away with ponty and other fans saying they aren't part of the regions but if their first 15 had regional contracts so to speak ie. pay as you play they couldn't be so blind asn say that the blues are just Cardiff

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

Brendan - they don't at the Scarlets. Am pretty sure this season a player only turns out for one of the clubs (it wasn't the case in the past, but after a bit of fuss made by the feeder clubs I think they have sorted it out to stop squad disruption)

Players like Edwards and Welch turn out for Llandovery, Knoyle for Llanelli etc. They don't hop between one club and another.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

My understanding is the WRU had £1.5m per season to distribute between the Premiership clubs, and they initially wanted a league of 8 teams, however the clubs themselves said 7 home league games per season is not enough to fund professional rugby.

The clubs themselves asked for 10 teams, then the Scarlets and Ospreys asked for Carmarthen Quins and Bridgend to join, which was granted provided those regions fund the remaining teams themselves.

So 10 teams will have £150,000 each as well as the money they generate themselves.

Personally I don't like the new system at all, I think the WRU should of introduced some kind of provincial league for areas that don;t have access.

I.e. a Pembrokeshire team in Haverfordwest, a Brecknockshire team in Brecon, a Ceredigion team in Aberystwyth, a Anglesey team in Llangefni, put a team in Colwyn Bay called Conwy, using Park Erias etc.

Once again it seems the WRU is only looking at the small picture not the entire country.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Where I grew up in Ireland there was no big GAA team and they all played in the lower divisions.

To allow these area to develop in the cup they would but out a representive team.

Could they do something like that with 12 prem teams plus North wales and a few other unrepresented regions.

Or is this too many games.

Suely now that Os and Scarlets are funding prem clubs they are above the super club tag for the doubters

Would the 150k per team not be better spent if given to the region to pay for players that play in the Club but may be called up or under 20s

Or would the regions waste it

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

Good post Welsh Mushroom, I think I actually agree with everthing you have said!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

What is it the WRU have against Bridgend, the area is full of dissilusioned fans after losing the Regional side and now they take away the funding for the club to ! surely it would have been better to try to win these fans back rather than alienate them further.
Or is it in some way meant to make their fans feel some afinity to the Osprey as they have steped in to save the day !! maybe I'm just been synical.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:25 am

Personally I think that the WRU funding to the Welsh prem should be reduced, and instead directed to the regions, and the regions acamadies become the main player development method.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:32 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:What is it the WRU have against Bridgend, the area is full of dissilusioned fans after losing the Regional side and now they take away the funding for the club to ! surely it would have been better to try to win these fans back rather than alienate them further.
Or is it in some way meant to make their fans feel some afinity to the Osprey as they have steped in to save the day !! maybe I'm just been synical.

I thought that bridgend were relegated because of their performance over x number of years.

I Also thought that since the Ospreys started playing LV games there and as the Ospreys had come in to save Bridgend's prem status that they were happy with being in the Ospreys Region

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Thu 19 Apr 2012, 9:48 pm

I dont know what criteria has been used as I've not managed to find any info on this appart from this thread on here.

I do know that the teams been saved by their Regions, namely Bridgend and Carmarthem have both had pretty decent seasons this year and both sit comfortably in mid table.

The remark about afinity to the O's was meant purely tongue in cheek.

If anyone does have any links to the actual statement though I would appreciate them. I havent followed the Premiership previously as I had no intrest in Rugby prior to the Regions been formed, although with the quality of young players coming through now have already decided to take advantage of the free Club season ticket I get with my Region season ticket next season.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

If you search on here for the welsh premership you should find it.

Suffice it to say when they were going to get cut there was a big topic and it says it in there.

If you ask Spider, Dreamer or any regular posters they will know.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down