The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Hook take over from Priestland?

+3
glamorganalun
bedfordwelsh
idris
7 posters

Go down

Will Hook take over from Priestland? Empty Will Hook take over from Priestland?

Post by idris Tue 17 Apr 2012, 7:48 pm

20 points and a win v Toulouse. He can't be doing that bad.

The rest of the Wales squad must have raised their game to be able to win a grand slam with a quite frankly average Priestland at 10. That, plus missed kicks and a sin bin, it wasn't a very good tournament for him. I can't remember the last time Wales did well without their 10 doing well.

I'm just wondering. Would Wales have still won the slam with Hook at 10? Would it have been even better? Would it have been worse?

I suppose there may have been the risk of a few key tackles missed or wild interceptions thrown, because just when Hook is going well he does something like that.

I really hope we can see more of Hook at 10, then maybe even Tovey or Morgan in years to come.

In all honesty I hope they bite at each others heels and test each other. Halfpenny is now the main kicker and I still have massive faith in Priestland and what he did at the world cup and how good he can be.

idris

Back to top Go down

Will Hook take over from Priestland? Empty Re: Will Hook take over from Priestland?

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Apr 2012, 7:50 pm

I honestly dont think we would have, Priestland has been the best for some while in bringing the best out of Roberts.

If Hook continues his form then thats great for us but I don't think we would have won in anymore style (or at all) if Hook had been playing, after all there would have been at least two interception tries surely
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Will Hook take over from Priestland? Empty Re: Will Hook take over from Priestland?

Post by glamorganalun Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:12 pm

Wales won the GS despite Priestland, Wales played better when he went off against England and was the turning point of the game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

Who knows what Wales would have been like with Hook at 10 - he hasn't been given a decent run in the position for years so, although he would have kicked the ball a lot further down the pitch, helping the kick and chase tactic, he would also have probably been rather erratic.

If he continues to play well in France for another season though - he'll be world class again.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 17 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

Priestland is a very good 10 who had a good WC. He has had a dip in form and didn't have a great 6N's. It seems to be all about confidence?

Hook has not had a decent game at 10 for Wales for some time and he's not our best centre or fullback. His best position is on the bench. I'd love to see him compete for the 10 jersey but he will have to show a lot of improvement in France. Priestland has the shirt - but he needs to regain his form or it won't be his for long.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

Offload:

I agree with your post but how long does Gatland give Piestland before canning him, I don't think he was great in the RWC, his in field kicking was poor, his drop kicks were a joke and his goal kicking was not great. S Jones and J Hook had no game time through injury and playing other positions they were asked to step in late in the RWC and suprise suprise they were poor due to lack of game time.

The 6N Priestland lacked confidence and was too deep making it easy to defend against Wales, and his kicking, do I have to say anything, only against France he had a couple of good kicks in fairness but the majority aimless kicking. We were lucky against Ireland that Sexton was almost as bad kindly kicking ball back to Wales. Priestland is very over rated and on a par with S Jones.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:14 pm

Rhys, Hook and Biggar will probably tour. No stand out guy there so there's chance for RP to be ousted. Hook wasn't given a chance at 10 during the 6 Nations strangely enough despite being on the bench in every game.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Apr 2012, 7:01 am

All good players playing good rugby, Priestland off form a bit but apparently injured and playing on. Add Tovey to the mix and that is four competitive stand offs all going for the same shirt.

Great news

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down