The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club?

+2
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
6 posters

Go down

The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club? Empty The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club?

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

Alexei Collado 15(14) - 0
Luis Garcia 12(9) - 0
Mike Perez 18(12) - 0

I haven’t heard much from these three recently. They were all touted when they first defected 2007, 5 years on and they seem to have stalled a little. I've heard more about Garcia's sparring exploits more then what he has done in the ring. I have not heard anything about Collado. Although Mike Perez won prizefighter, I don’t think his management capitalised enough on the publicity and seems to have gone into obscurity again. Although he did pitch a shutout against Friday Ahunanya in his last fight.

What’s the craic then? Has poor management led all three into the who needs them club. Surely Perez would be far better opposition for Wlad rather then Mormeck and Thompson!!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club? Empty Re: The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club?

Post by Rowley Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

Remember when Garcia defected and all the talk was he was a superstar and the reports and write ups of his performances seemed to bear this out, but 12 fights in five years, there are glaciers that move quicker than that. Have heard rumours some of them lack dedication, the freedoms afforded them that were not available in Cuba tending to turn their heads but these are only rumours but would tend to explain their lack of activity.

Pity though because saw bits and bobs of Garcia on youtube and he looked the real deal to me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club? Empty Re: The 3 Cuban Irishman. Are they officially in the who needs them club?

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm

I dont know if Ireland is the best place for them to be boxing. Presumably they are ineligible for any British or Commonwealth titles or rankings which could freeze them out of the domestic scene. Would have though they were better off plying their trade in the U.S (assuming they were allowed visas which might not be the case).

Perez looked decent in Prizefighter but Im not sure his credentials are any better than Mormeck and Thompson who have at least won at world level. He would have been good to see against the likes of Price/Fury/Chisora/Sexton but as I say, he probably isnt eligible for anything on the domestic scene which limits his ability to get those fights.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

To be honest I never thought of it that way Manos, I think that has hindered them immensely. Surely they can soon apply for Irish citizenship soon after being there for 5 years. Hopefully european title opportunaities could come up? Also could Perez fight Fury for the Irish heavyweight title Laugh ? Which Fury lauds so much?

I think Perez has better heavyweight credentials then Mormeck ever has. Mormeck is just name to sell tickets. I think Perez would hand Mormeck a beating.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

Possibly he would beat Mormeck, I wouldnt be surprised but in terms of actual credentials I wouldnt see him as offering the Klitschkos much. Small fanbase, largely unheralded and no real world ranking with any of the bodies as far as I know.

You are righ that he could possibly fight Fury for the Irish belt (if Fury still bothers to keep it) but even with Irish citizenship he would still be inelligible to fight for British or Commonwealth honours. He might already have Irish citizenship, Im not too sure. But he isnt rated with the EBU so I dont think he is has and doesnt appear to be eligible for the Euro title either.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

Id also add that whoever is in chargo of promoting them in Ireland doesnt appear to have done a great job selling them or building up their fanbase in their adopted country. Would have though they could have put on some decent cards over there featuring the three of them and really tried to market them in Ireland but they appear to have largely just been fighting small hall shows over there without much publicity.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm

i agree with what manos is saying re: Perez's bad management as they had a real opportunity to use the whole irish-cuban thing along with prizefighter and build a solid fanbase for Mike in Ireland to the extent where Fury VS PErez is almost an eliminator as to who Ireland will get behind in a world title push

Now the fight is too risky, for little reward for Fury as i doubt it could sell out the Odyssey again....
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Unbeatable Georgey Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

They had management issues early in their career. They split from Gary Hyde (who manages Rigondeaux), and signed with another Irishman, but he hasn't seemed to have done anything. They were training with Glenn McCrory for a bit, but that didn't last.

With regards their talent, I'd say Garcia and Collado are a step above Perez. Seen them quite a few times and they were outstanding. I've seen Perez labour a few times though.

Leaving Ireland is the only option for them in my opinion. They aren't getting any exposure over here. A few wins in America and they could move up the ladder rapidly.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:37 am

garcia and perez' last fights were in the states, but it was the back end of last year. None of them have fought this year, whatever the reasons, its a shame if their talents go to waste

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down