The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the best Winger of all time?

+15
mckay1402
MR. scotland27
Glas a du
Shifty
Cari
greybeard
wales606
B91212
RuggerRadge2611
Davie
Johnny Dice
Mad for Chelsea
Solerina
andy_h
Adam D
19 posters

Go down

Who is the best Winger of all time?

Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap26%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 11 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap14%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 6 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap30%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 13 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap2%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap14%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 6 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap2%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap5%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_lcap5%Who is the best Winger of all time? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 43

Who is the best Winger of all time? Empty Who is the best Winger of all time?

Post by Adam D Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Lets just imagine for a minute that you are on the defending team and the ball has gone wide.

Who would you least like to be bearing down on you and why?

Who is the greatest winger of all time?

Let me hear your thoughts.....

(once again let me know if I have missed anyone obvious)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is the best Winger of all time? Empty Re: Who is the best Winger of all time?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Ive gone for Lomu.
The speed and strength he has is awesome.
If he was running towards me i would probs step aside and let him passed instead of being flattened by him.

Heres a few highlights of him on Youtube Click Here

Back to top Go down

Who is the best Winger of all time? Empty Re: Who is the best Winger of all time?

Post by Adam D Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:35 pm

I was tempted to put Nigel Walker in there from Wales Rolling Eyes

A legend at the dry cleaners for Wales (as in he never needed to wash his kit as he never made a tackle!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by andy_h Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:04 pm

When i was younger and watched jason robinson play i always used to think he was awesome, ridiculously quick! He has my vote. Very Happy

andy_h

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I've gone for Jonah Lomu.........great video YI,

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Erm what is Heymans doing on that list? Not even the best current French winger (that would be Vincent Clerc). Also wasn't Jeff Wilson primarily a ful-back?

Anyway, hard to look past Lomu really, he had great speed and stregth and would intimidate the opposition so much. Amazing athlete.

Campese would be second, very very good player, tremendous record.

Last edited by Mad for Chelsea on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Dice Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I have gone for Williams for the very reason he is completely the wrong shape for a modern day wing. Yet he still has an unbelievable scoring record. He will be missed for Wales.

Johnny Dice

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Also wasn't Jeff Wilson primarily a ful-back?

I remember Jeff Wilson as a winger though I think he did convert to a full back later in his career

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I went for Habana, Lomu would have been my pick but hard to pick someone who despite being a Force of Nature, never played a part in a world cup winning team.

Habana or Robinson on that list.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

The reason I discounted Lomu was due to such a short international career.

There is no doubt that if he hadnt got ill, he would have been one of, if not THE best winger ever.

I met him once and he was a very nice guy (I went to the ITV launch of the last World cup coverage).

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Voted Robinson, just got my vote ahead of Lomu. Caucau could have been up there too if he could have got his head together and realised his potential.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Williams, a wingers job is to score trys. Shane is the 3rd highest try scorer, and did it while playing for a mediocre welsh team - unlike Campese.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Hobo wrote:Lets just imagine for a minute that you are on the defending team and the ball has gone wide.

Who would you least like to be bearing down on you and why?

Equally, if I was in posession who would I least like to be waiting to stop me..

Hobo wrote:(once again let me know if I have missed anyone obvious)

Simon Geoghegan, for the above reason. Could defend as well as he could attack. Played for the most negative Irish team ever and rarely got a chance to shine. But when he did, oh, but when he did...

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Who is the best winger of all time?

TOMMY BOWE!!! king

Ah no, I thought you said the best lookin' Drool

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:00 pm

I went for Campese.

Lomu was a flash in the pan really.
Played terribly in the test series against France prior to the 1995 world cup, then did well in the world cup against the 4 British sides. Up until Lomu all teams assumed you had to be small and nippy to be a winger, anyone over 6 foot and athletic was a flanker or centre. Lomu caught everyone off guard in that respect. Tiny little men like Geoghegan (Ireland), Tony Underwood (England), Wayne Proctor (Wales) and Logan (Scotland) had no chance against him.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am

If it's dealing with the hand you've been dealt, it has to be Shane. Lomu probably underachieved given his physical prowess. When Pienaar did a number on him in the 95 final, :spank: he had no answer. You back Shane into a corner and that's when you're likely to see his best. Yahoo
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 am

SHANE WILLIAMS THE GREATEST WINGER OF ALL TIME???!?!?!!!??!!? everyone except heymans is better than him on that list. Can you imagine what would happen if he came up against lomu.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Yeah, Shane would go one way, then the other and Lomu would be on the floor wondering where he'd gone...Lomu never scored against Wales so wouldn't bew a problem defense wise...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Mon May 02, 2011 3:34 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Yeah, Shane would go one way, then the other and Lomu would be on the floor wondering where he'd gone...Lomu never scored against Wales so wouldn't bew a problem defense wise...

But im not sure lomu and williams ever shared the same pitch.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue May 03, 2011 9:31 am

They must have done when Lomu was at Cardiff surely...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Laughable! Sorry one and all. Shane Williams on 29% while Jeff Wilson is on 0% and Caucau gets 2%? Oh dear.

Caucau for me with Wilson a close second. Wilson was pretty much the complete winger and Caucau was simply unreal - built like a prop, serious afterburner and a wonderful step. Shame he let himself go.

Check out these links for some Caucau magic (sorry for the quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6qdM6O26CY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjFSSSHPKn0
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Wilson for me - followed by (yes, seriously) Shane Williams.

Caucau was amazing at his best, had all the physical attributes and no little skill too, but he DID let himself go and part of being the greatest is doing it for as long as your career allows.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon May 09, 2011 2:09 pm

ML wrote:...Caucau was amazing at his best, had all the physical attributes and no little skill too, but he DID let himself go and part of being the greatest is doing it for as long as your career allows.

True. Still given Hobo's "Who would you least like to be bearing down on you and why?", it'd have to be Caucau for me. He could step me, simply burn on by or run right over the top - all of which would be 5 points!

Much as I wish he'd keep his feet in his mouth, I'd have to rate Campo at the top and yet he's only garnered 11%.

Just out of interest, no JJ Williams or Ieuan Evans? Evans was a diamond amongst a lot of dirt trackers for much of his career and yet he was still pretty prolific.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Mon May 09, 2011 2:49 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Just out of interest, no JJ Williams or Ieuan Evans? Evans was a diamond amongst a lot of dirt trackers for much of his career and yet he was still pretty prolific.

True - both far better wingers than Rory Underwood or Daisuke Ohata. I have never understood why the latter gets included in lists such as these - yes he has scored a hatfull of tries - but mostly against woefully limited opposition.

i cant believe Joe Roff didn't make the list either.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed May 11, 2011 2:05 am

Jeff Wilson could do it all. And did. For a number of years. He retired from all rugby pretty much at his peak when he wasn't in real danger from losing his position. He didn't go overseas to cash in either so all respect to him. He played rugby because he loved it. Also the first (along with Josh Kronfield) to sign the first professional contracts the the NZRU when rugby almost got hijacked by Murdoch. Who knows what would have happened to international rugby if those two hadn't led the way.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri May 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Marcel Garvey just tweeted to say he would vote for Doug Howlett.

Thanks Marcel thumbsup

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 pm

For me it is Campese, such a brilliant record and very difficult to tackle. He wasnt too bad in defence either. Those slating Shame Williams, should try to understand that he is one of the most attacking wingers the game has seen.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 am

Paul Diggin (Northampton Wing) tweeted Lomu as well.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down