The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane...

+56
maestegmafia
aucklandlaurie
JacoFourie2012
stevetynant
kunu
thomh
asoreleftshoulder
BigTrevsbigmac
red_stag
mankiaow
Pot Hale
Notch
LordDowlais
Ozzy3213
majesticimperialman
LondonTiger
wales606
idris
Knowsit17
gowales
kingjohn7
Artful_Dodger
eirebilly
Glas a du
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
dublin_dave
Mcgavin Sean
21st Century Schizoid Man
LeinsterFan4life
Portnoy
Comfort
Thomond
Captain Charisma
GunsGerms
Submachine
Gibson
sean.c
whocares
Pal Joey
Goosestepper
Rava
Golden
sirBiggles
caoimhincentre
yappysnap
Feckless Rogue
munkian
Jenifer McLadyboy
formerly known as Sam
Biltong
rodders
BoyneRFC
SecretFly
Mickado
pete (buachaill on eirne)
60 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Empty Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane...

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

So this is the big one, huge one, massive one!
Some are calling this the unofficial final.

Two powerhouses in European Rugby and arguably the best two teams in the competition coming together.

Recent tussles have favoured Leinster who beat Clermont in the Aviva convincingly enouugh and in the RDS by the skin of their teeth with James missing a good few kicks at goal. Clermont beat Leinster in France but the visitors managed to get a crucial LBP.

Huge match ups all over the field.

The entire front rows
Hines vs Thorn
Sexton vs James
Rougerie vs O'Driscoll
Kearney vs Byrne

Home advantage sees Clermont the slight favourites but they have moved the game to Bordeaux.

Thoughts on who can win it?
Team you want to see?
Where the game can be won for each side?
Ref?
Rant?

Let it all come out here.

I have a tiny bit of a huge problem here also:
I (like a fool) decided to go to Budapest this weekend. My return flight leaves at 17:25 Hungarian time (also French time).
My question is...how do I delay a plane......?

Back to top Go down

Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Empty Re: Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane...

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

Nerves are in shreds already.

Was watching the breakdown last night and they gave their opinion on what Leinster will need to do to win this game, since I don’t top14 I’ll have to bow to their superior knowledge.

Franno is of the opinion that ASM don’t commit a lot of men to the breakdown which will give Leinster clean ball but their defense will be spread out and we’ll find it hard to find space out wide. Attack one or two out, keep it tight, use the rolling maul and make sure the set piece is strong. We should be ok in the scrum (although Ulster gave us a real tough test there last week) and the lineout is ok, but we’re going to need to make sure our accuracy off first phase is as good as it was against Cardiff.

Leinster’s major strength this year has been the bench, ASM will more than match that this week.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Empty Re: Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane...

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:31 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:My question is...how do I delay a plane......?

I have a sort of solution but it might mean you spend the rest of your life in a high security prison.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

Yeah Ive been there, booking weekends away without paying attention to upcoming events...

2009 final- had to go to Helsinki with work..
2011 final- in Istanbul with missus Boyne..

I don't think the Blue Mosque has been the same since...

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Feic you southerners are amateurs man. Handiest way is ring in a bomb scare Cool .

I actually think Leinster are a considerably better side than Clermont. Miles better. If this was on neural territory then it would be no contest imo.

With a neutral ref we'd have beaten Clermont on their home patch, I have zero doubt about it.

The one area where Clermont have a clear edge is the scrum. If Leinster can hold their own up front then they are far too good imo. If the ref gives them and they bring their A game then they can blow Clermont away.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:40 am

How does one delay a plane.....erm.....well.... You really don't know?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:40 am

Franno is of the opinion that ASM don’t commit a lot of men to the breakdown which will give Leinster clean ball but their defense will be spread out and we’ll find it hard to find space out wide

They normally have one or two players standing off the ruck and if the opposition decide to under committ to try and gain more attackers in the line they hit the ruck hard. They are very well drilled in defence and you have to be savvy with your rucking numbers otherwise they slow it down all game. Watch out for Parra as well as he will look to milk penalties out of everything.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:44 am

Not so much a nervous wreck yet - inevitably will be during the game itself!

But Leinster can only do what it can do - go to France to try to keep the dream of a back-to-back HC title alive. Clermont have to prove the 'certainty' of home advantage. I think Clermont will be potentially very taut (nervy) given the 'home' advantage and the prize - they'll be pondering on the 'what-might-go-wrongs'. Leinster will be expected to give a good fight but lose, they have less burden of expectancy (given how tough a back to back is) and I think they can play with less tension because of it - the 'what-might-go-right' scenario.

Of course Leinster will have the desire to go all the way, and they will give it their all - but I feel the lingering suspicions that this might be the end of the road this season (given who they are away to) might also inevitably and ironically loosen up the shoulders and allow them to play more creatively than many might expect.

If, If, If ..... it'll be a week of them!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Franno is of the opinion that ASM don’t commit a lot of men to the breakdown which will give Leinster clean ball but their defense will be spread out and we’ll find it hard to find space out wide

They normally have one or two players standing off the ruck and if the opposition decide to under committ to try and gain more attackers in the line they hit the ruck hard. They are very well drilled in defence and you have to be savvy with your rucking numbers otherwise they slow it down all game. Watch out for Parra as well as he will look to milk penalties out of everything.

Crafty.

And yeah, Parra is a typically mouthy SH alright. No stranger to a bit of diving either.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

Will Schmidt start with his 'away' team trio of Boss, McLaughlin and McFadden or Reddan, Jennings and D'arcy?

I thought both McFadden and McLaughlin were very good on Friday.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:56 am

Very hard to tell Rodders, nobody can second guess what he’s going to do.

The home style team arguably includes Toner and VDM. Wouldn’t be surprised if we went with a mash up of both teams:

VDM – Struass – Ross
Cullen – Thorn
McLaughlin – Heaslip – O’Brien
Reddan – Sexton

It looks like Joe picks McLaughlin to give another lineout opion, Thorn at 6”5’ doesn’t rule the skies like some locks. His influence on the set piece is definitely in the scrum. VDM is that little bit more solid than Healy so we could hold Healy in reserve until the hour mark, then take him out of his cage and set him loose.

I would expect Darcy to start if Joe is being consistent with his picks, Darcy was rested last week because he played against Edinburgh and is as such, the incumbent, but if McFadden stats it would be no surprise to me. it’s clichéd but the competition for places is very strong, and you just don’t know who’s going to start next!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:59 am

I agree with what they say on the breakdown Mick.

That is their style maybe not in such a black and white way but yes they do try a smoother defence.
If we were playing Clermont in the final in London I'd actually be quite confident of the win but the fact it is in France makes it scary, very glad it has been moved to Bordeaux.

I'm not sure they will have such a clean cut advantage in the scrum I am quite worried about the midfield too. I think we could get schooled a bit there, as Rougerie and Fofana are better athletes than any of our two. We will really rely on being smarter than them I think.

Yeah I thought of bomb scare too and I even thought of trying to get the pilot a few pints while we watch the game......but honestly....does anyone have any realistic ideas of how to slow this up

The best I can come up with is just ignore the "could Pete buachaill on eirne please come to gate 16 as the flight is about to take off" announcement and see how long I can push my luck with that.

That's all I can think of.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

I think Boss is playing with enough menace and conviction to get the start for this game... with Redden on to add deftness if Clermont defence begins to unravel a tad in the second half.

Really impressed by Boss recently........ (in my view he should be strong option for New Zealand now)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

If I was a betting man I'd say Leinster will line up with:

1 Healy
2 Strauss
3 Ross
4 Cullen
5 Thorn
6 McGlaughlin
7 O'Brien
8 Heaslip
9 Reddan
10 Sexton
11 Fitzgerald
12 D'arcy
13 BOD
14 Nacewa
15 Kearney

Bench: VDM, Cronin, Browne, Jennings, Boss, Madigan, McFadden

This game is made for Brad Thorn.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

McFadden had a very good game versus Ulster I have to say.

I would agree with Mick on that idea.
I think we should be doing everything we can to stay in the match for the first 55 or 60 ie: play VDM so we have a better chance of not conceeding scrum penalties, play Boss so the ruck is that small bit safer.

Then in the last 20/25 bring on the guys who will speed the game up hugely (Reddan, healy, Jenno) and turn a defensive performance into an all out assault when Clermont are tired and surprised that we are still in the match.

The fact that Clermont stand off rucks also means that getting quick ball (one of Reddan's strengths) would be made easier and thus Boss's physicallity and ability to suck in fringe defenders may be very useful. Then Reddan can up the speed in the last 20+.
Also Boss' defence could be crucial in the first half. I know defence isn't huge for a 9 but it may help.

I think staying in the game for the first 60 is vital and then we will see them wobble and begin to get nervy.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

Also, I am very nervous also

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:McFadden had a very good game versus Ulster I have to say.

I think we should be doing everything we can to stay in the match for the first 55 or 60 ie: play VDM so we have a better chance of not conceeding scrum penalties, play Boss so the ruck is that small bit safer.

Then in the last 20/25 bring on the guys who will speed the game up hugely (Reddan, healy, Jenno) and turn a defensive performance into an all out assault when Clermont are tired and surprised that we are still in the match.

The fact that Clermont stand off rucks also means that getting quick ball (one of Reddan's strengths) would be made easier and thus Boss's physicallity and ability to suck in fringe defenders may be very useful. Then Reddan can up the speed in the last 20+.
Also Boss' defence could be crucial in the first half. I know defence isn't huge for a 9 but it may help.

I think staying in the game for the first 60 is vital and then we will see them wobble and begin to get nervy.

I endorse this product and or service.

As well as Reddan/Jennings we should be looking at bringing Toner and Cronin on, Cronin's darts have been as good as Strauss this year and Toner is playing really well. A (hopefully) tired ASM defense will have to deal with us getting really good quality ball off of our lineout...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

Fiver says Toner won't be in the squad.

I think Schmidt will go for as physical a side as possible and possibly leave Toner out.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

Mickado wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:McFadden had a very good game versus Ulster I have to say.

As well as Reddan/Jennings we should be looking at bringing Toner and Cronin on, Cronin's darts have been as good as Strauss this year and Toner is playing really well. A (hopefully) tired ASM defense will have to deal with us getting really good quality ball off of our lineout...

Will the pair of yiz ever get out the fixtures list next time you are booking anything. Conspiring to miss the quarter and the semi between yiz.

Sitting in the bar after the Ulster game on Friday, my mate says to me.... "I'll be up here again next month with my missus" "What date" sez I.

The 18th........ You do know the HC final is on the 19th........... Ahhhhh bollix.

He was sitting beside me at the final last year. If we make it this year he will be in Belfast. DOH!

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

Mickado wrote:

The bench has to make an huge impact IMO:

Jenno adds speed of ruck ball
Toner adds a huge presence in the lineout and also acts as a link man
Reddan adds quicker service
Healy is a baby Rhino in the loose

These guys need to come on and score us points and I would imagine quite a few.

I can see us playing tight and safe for the first while (almost damage limitation) trying to tire them out, frustrate them, deny them points, before we unleash these guys from the bench.

I'd be surprised if Madigan didn't have a part to play also.

The thought of bringing on Kearney Jr also is much more reassuring than McFadden for Darcy.

Lads. Seriously. Should I miss my flight?

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:23 am

rodders wrote:Fiver says Toner won't be in the squad.

I think Schmidt will go for as physical a side as possible and possibly leave Toner out.

50 says he will make it. Browne is not of the same quality thatToner has been displaying over the past 5 months.

Jen- I know I blame no one but myself Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

I'll take your money on that one Rodders. Not a chance Browne will be in there. I actually saw him walking his dog last night. Big scary fecker that he is.

Toner has the extra 5.5 inches on him that will put him in the squad. He has had a great season too. Toner that is.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Will the pair of yiz ever get out the fixtures list next time you are booking anything. Conspiring to miss the quarter and the semi between yiz.

Sitting in the bar after the Ulster game on Friday, my mate says to me.... "I'll be up here again next month with my missus" "What date" sez I.

The 18th........ You do know the HC final is on the 19th........... Ahhhhh bollix.

He was sitting beside me at the final last year. If we make it this year he will be in Belfast. DOH!

Ha, my Dad is having his retirement party on the 18th. I can’t NOT go, so if it’s needed of me I’ll be flying to London on the Saturday morning. Can’t be worrying about that just yet.

Pete, I say get on the plane and pray to BOD. When you land if we’ve won you’ll be delirious, if we’ve lost you’ll be glad you missed it.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Is there any mode of communication you can use on a plane?
Any at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

You crazy Rodders. I couldn't take your money off you though...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

50 quid! Forget it man! You D4 lads have more money (and Chinos) than sense!..... Very Happy ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is there any mode of communication you can use on a plane?
Any at all?

Technically there's no reason that you can't have wifi on a plane, but feic all airlines have it. You could ask the air hostess to ask the pilot to get the score, they're constantly in touch with someone on the ground. They might tell you to fck off but it's worth a try.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is there any mode of communication you can use on a plane?
Any at all?
Offer the pilot a ride?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

I'll take your money on that one Rodders. Not a chance Browne will be in there. I actually saw him walking his dog last night. Big scary fecker that he is.

Toner has the extra 5.5 inches on him that will put him in the squad. He has had a great season too. Toner that is.

Shocked Jeebus Jen this is a family forum man, can we stick to the rugby here, I'm sure there's other sites where you can discuss that stuff ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:47 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Sign Henson
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:54 am

Getting the pilot to talk to the ground is a good one Mick, great call thanks.

I take off at 5:25 French time so safe to say I will have to be in the plane by about 5:10 or maybe earlier. I will get the first half though and maybe some of the second. I will miss the second though unless some very kind individual assaults a member of airport staff.....any takes.....?

Anyone else very scared of the Clermont back 5?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Getting the pilot to talk to the ground is a good one Mick, great call thanks.

I take off at 5:25 French time so safe to say I will have to be in the plane by about 5:10 or maybe earlier. I will get the first half though and maybe some of the second. I will miss the second though unless some very kind individual assaults a member of airport staff.....any takes.....?

Anyone else very scared of the Clermont back 5?

You sure they will be showing the HC in the airport in Hungary?

If you mean back 5 forwards. No. They should be more scared of us.

If you mean Malzieu, Fofana, Rougerie, Sivivatu and Byrne. Dangerous going forward..........

Sivivatu can't kick. Fofana and Rougerie are not great in defence. Malzieu may have a big arse and be fast, but that makes him easier to turn.

Byrne v Kearney should be worth the ticket price.

I normally feel confident early in a match week and less so the closer the game gets. So I feel we can take them...... At the moment.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

I expect we'll be kicking quite a bit behind their back 3.

The only one that worries me is Byrne, he puts himself in the right position to run the ball back at us, Malzieu and Sivivatu will be having the ball booted over their heads all day.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

rodders wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Shocked Jeebus Jen this is a family forum man, can we stick to the rugby here, I'm sure there's other sites where you can discuss that stuff ..... Whistle
Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Roflbl10

Me thinks you are reading more into that statement than what McLadyboy suggested.Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Innoce10

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 23 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRKFyE_Crk

One of the best games Leinster have been involved in. And we were lucky that Brock James missed so many kicks. I think both teams are better now than they were then.

Don't think my nerves could take another finish like that though.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Me thinks you are reading more into that statement than what McLadyboy suggested.Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Innoce10

5.5 inches more to be precise. Now that might be monstrous or beneath contempt...depending on how many inches were already there before the 'more'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

From the rest of his comment I am leaning toward monstrous.Clermont vs Leinster thread and how to delay a plane... Salute10re
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

On holiday a few years ago a fellow Eng tourist showed us all how to effectively delay a plane.

All you have to do is get smahed pre-flight, start swearing and hollering at people and then vomit in the tunnel as you go to your flight before passing out there.

You up for that Pete?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

5.5 inches more to be precise. Now that might be monstrous or beneath contempt...depending on how many inches were already there before the 'more'.
Well Browne is 77 inches tall and Toner is a "MONSTROUS" 82.5 inches tall.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Fly, you were correct, in human terms that is simply just bragging. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:26 pm

Oh, it was a 'how tall are these guys' point? Oh, didn't I go off and completely misread that one - on purpose Whistle .............................................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Fly, you were correct, in human terms that is simply just bragging. Rolling Eyes

It sure is bragging, and could be in 3D on the centre page of the Guinness Book of Records (the top shelf version). And 6'10" too..... Toner has it all Crying or Very sad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Mon 23 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

So, looks like rain in Bordeaux on Sunday.

How do you think this will change the game plan and / of affect Leinster's chances?

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:02 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0421/1224315007780.html
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

Michael Cheika wrote:

He is travelling to Bordeaux on the day as a Leinster fan, along with his assistant coach Mario Ledesma, who as an ex-Clermont hooker, will be cheering for the opposition. “There not many games I get excited about as a spectator, but this is one that is definitely worth going to.”

He couldn’t call the re-scheduled France-Ireland game, and it was a draw.

So this one? “I have to go for Leinster. I can’t go for anyone else, mate, can I? Not if it’s going to be published in the paper. No, I do think they’ll win. It’s their experience at this end of the competition. But it will be so close. It’s going to go to the wire.”

Love it...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:28 pm

That article seems to put Leinster firmly and bluntly in the David catagory to Clermont's Goliath. It's pretty much a 'don't turn up Leinster' piece...

David won.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:31 pm

BoyneRFC wrote:So, looks like rain in Bordeaux on Sunday.

How do you think this will change the game plan and / of affect Leinster's chances?

I think yous are screwed!........ Whistle ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

rodders wrote:
BoyneRFC wrote:So, looks like rain in Bordeaux on Sunday.

I think yous are screwed!........ Whistle ...... Run

After the game, the guys are free agents...................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:28 am

So it seems Skrela is injured. Not sure that will have any negative effect on ASM though, they would be starting James and Parra and both are superior kickers to Skrela…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

I prayed to BOD all night and now my plane has been pushed back 25 minutes!!!!!!! I take off at 17:50! I've got a fighting chance now! Yahoo

Skrela injured isn't too much of a loss for them, would love James to get the yips again and to just keep kicking anyways.

Do Clermont have any other injuries?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next