The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle?

+5
Portnoy
ChequeredJersey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
yappysnap
9 posters

Go down

Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle? Empty Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle?

Post by yappysnap Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:25

Brilliant clip from the Bath-Wasps game last weekend.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/04/2522/sam-vesty-butchers-try-as-tom-varndell-chases-him-down

Can not believe Vesty there and the dedication from Varndell to keep the LBP.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle? Empty Re: Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle?

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:30

Varndell has always been pretty good at the wrap/cover tackle. It is head on he is poor at. His usual tackle is to show the outside then try and haul the player down.

Shall now watch this footage.[justify]

sadly my malware protection will not let me watch it

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle? Empty Re: Who said Tom Varndell can not tackle?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:39

Pretty embarrassing for Vesty alright

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:40

Vesty is at the line and raising an arm in celebration, varndall grabs him from behind drags him down and rolls to cover the ball as it goes over the line and stops the certain try.

Yep so a very good covering tackle but def not head on.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:41

Pretty much sums up Baths season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 0:59

Great tackle
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 1:18

Varndell always reminded Campo in the tackling stakes. i.e. a bit pushy-shovey and overall not very good.

But he has improved since he left the Tigers.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 1:44

GUTTED!!!!

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 1:57

Which is why you score first and celebrate after. Almost glad that happened as Sam was looking a bit to smug with the one arm raised. Shame he didn't try it at Tigers would have loved to see Cockerill's reaction to him doing that in a Tigers shirt.

But he has improved since he left the Tigers

He does seem to have become a little more consistent doesn't he. At Tigers he tended to show up for the European games but suffer lapses in the league, I remember drawing with Quins at Twickers after Monye brushed him off on the outside which lead to some chuntering. He certainly has the physical ability to be a great tackler it's all in his mind.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 2:25

formerly known as Sam wrote:I remember drawing with Quins at Twickers after Monye brushed him off on the outside which lead to some chuntering. He certainly has the physical ability to be a great tackler it's all in his mind.

My lord that was a cold day.

Varndell is big and strong - but all too often he tackled like Les cusworth, trying to jump on the players back and hope they would fall over. I never feel that Varndell has used his physicality in attack either.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 2:45

yappysnap wrote:Pretty much sums up Baths season.

Kind of....but being that near the tryline would indicate we have had some attacking success.

I'd say that a knock on on halfway or a penalty at scrum time would be more apt!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 4:32

Nice that Tom's first tackle was captured on TV.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 6:53

Bathite wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Pretty much sums up Baths season.

Kind of....but being that near the tryline would indicate we have had some attacking success.

I'd say that a knock on on halfway or a penalty at scrum time would be more apt!

I was thinking lots of celebrating before anything is actually achieved. boxing Can't see Vesty featuring any time soon now though...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down