The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask the Tart: Archive 1

+86
The_Rad_Russian
We Want Edge
MIG
imprettyfly
Utility-forward
DDT
Stan Marsh
Dexter Morgan
Lowlandbrit
Danny
FIFA Diva
uberkiwi
XR
Ent
MtotheC
silverfox
The Best in the World
DonIffy
Don Corleone187
1891_Eniluap
whatwindturbine
Kenny
Nay
TopoftheChops
legendkillar
SirJohnnyEnglish
ContraryToBelief
Shot 21 LCFC
Marsh
Gregers
DJ Legless
Jammy31
ncfc_Tooze
Kaiser
HitmanOwl
Paloma
Beer
DemonicTruthSpeaker
Mat
TwisT
sodhat
Ayrshirebhoy
Michaels, Sean
Liam_Main
Redordead
greggschickenbake
CJB
Crimey
Bonesaw's ready
Dave.
UpsideDownFace
aemili2
Enforcer
Miz NG
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
steveo1986
Lex-Express
MetalMotty
KasperTheFriendlyGhost
Dr Gregory House MD
Mr H
bretmeharty
Ché Guerrero
psycho-gooner
JamesLincs
Sarsippius
Andthen1
davidl1061
Fernando
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
bernard black
more_awesome_than_a_ri
Adam D
AberdeenSteve
liverbnz
Brady12
John Cena's Speech writer
Legend
The Dashing One
Kramxel
Kay Fabe
JoshSansom
Holymiky
ADMIN
theundisputedY2D2
crippledtart
90 posters

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Ask the Tart: Archive 1 - Page 22 Empty Ask the Tart: Archive 1

Post by crippledtart Thu 24 Mar 2011, 11:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Thread archived from https://www.606v2.com/t2445-ask-the-tart - Kiwireddevil
CrippledTart wrote:
By popular demand (Miky), here is a v2 verson of my 606 thread "Ask Me Ref".

As stated on the 606 version, this isn't just for people to ask me questions (I do not consider myself to be the biggest wrestling genius in the world contrary to the impression you get from some of my posts!), it's for people to ask questions and ANYONE who knows the answer to provide it.

This is not an opinion thread, per se. It is for those random wrestling musings you may have had but never got the answer to.

So if there's anything you ever wondered about wrestling, and never knew who to ask, go for it.

Bobby Roode wrote:If Hogan and Bischoff could create their perfect wrestler, who or what would it be like?

Hero wrote:2. Austin.
He’s widely regarded as one of if not the greatest ‘star’ to grace the industry. Whilst Hogan & HHH are often derided by the IWC for using their influence and power backstage, Austin seems above derision. Firstly what abuse of politics has Austin been guilty of, and why does he not fall into the Hogan/HHH category in the eyes of the IWC?

Good question. Steve Austin definitely used his political clout at times, but it was when he thought something was bad for business. Triple H and Hogan have a tendency to bury wrestlers they see as a threat, whereas Austin to my knowledge never acted that way.

He was fiercely protective of his character, and a student of the industry who had a good idea of what was good and bad for business. He was also accused of being paranoid at times.

Austin refused to work programmes with Jeff Jarrett and Billy Gunn in the summer of 1999. Gunn because he didn't rate him, Jarrett because the two had personal heat over Jarrett criticising the "Austin 3:16" gimmick as blasphemous. There were rumours he wouldn't put over Triple H in 1999 as well, but these are believed to be unfounded (he did a job for him at No Mercy). He also refused to do the job in an unadvertised match with Brock Lesnar on Raw in 2002, arguing that it would be bad for business. Austin's logic was that, as the biggest name in the company, it would have more effect if Brock ran through others on his way to a big PPV showdown between the two, where he would be happy to put Brock over.

The business he did in 1998 and 1999 was phenomenal, and meant that he had no political challengers. However Triple H's ascendance led to tension, and Austin felt insecure in his spot as the top guy. This led to a drastic change around 2000, when he suddenly became harder to work with. Austin did not take well to Vince having a new favourite, and protected his territory any time he felt challenged. He did not last much longer as a full-time main eventer, mainly because of his condition but also largely because the situation had diminished his passion for wrestling.

Another key was Austin's character: He was the toughest guy in the room. He took on all kinds of numbers and usually won. This made incredible money but did not lend itself to putting others over. In fact the WWF didn't want him doing jobs to anyone when they could help it - even tainted ones - while so much money was rolling in. Austin's character was dominant, not just physically but also in that he took up everyone's attention. This was a big plus for the WWF in his peak run, but in his latter years it became a hindrance. As the sheriff, when he was for all intents and purposes retired, he undercut every wrestler he came into contact with. And without great feuds to sink his teeth into, his promos suffered, he relied more on the tired beer drinking routine, and became something of a parody.

Austin didn't boost an awful lot of careers, but it wasn't with malice. Therein lies the difference between him and Triple H or Hogan. For the most part, he did what he thought was right for business.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Ask the Tart: Archive 1 - Page 22 Empty Re: Ask the Tart: Archive 1

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 06 May 2012, 8:23 am

All,
Once a thread gets past 1000 or so posts the forum software starts deleting the oldest ones to (I think) keep load times down. So to preserve the archive I have split off the bulk of posts to an "archive" thread. The original thead is still up here:
https://www.606v2.com/t2445-ask-the-tart

I've also edited the OP on this thread (which was originally a Crips reply to a question) to include text from his original OP

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22