The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying?

+14
KingMonkey
Josiah Maiestas
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
Mayweathers cellmate
The Galveston Giant
azania
Imperial Ghosty
Fists of Fury
Union Cane
Steffan
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
18 posters

Go down

Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying? Empty Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying?

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 4 May - 2:00

Have just seen on Dan Rafaels twitter there are apparently loads of tickets still left....

Is this worrying that the biggest star of the sport, fighting a big name opponent with a huge NY based Puerto Rican fanbase cannot sell out the MGM Grand?

I'm no expert on tickets sales etc but i know for a Tyson fight for example tickets were the most sought after ticket going

If the biggest star in boxing cannot sell out a relatively small venue does this again highlight the diminishing appeal of the sport

Or am i being overly cynical and pessimistic?

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying? Empty Re: Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying?

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 4 May - 2:10

Maybe fans are 'doing a Rowley' en masse.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying? Empty Re: Mayweather vs Cotto tickets still available....worrying?

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 4 May - 2:11

Yes it is a little worrying, to be honest. Wouldn't have expected that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 4 May - 2:12

Mayweather doesnt have many fans. And theres no way Puerto Ricans can afford to travel all that way to Vegas nevermind stay in a hotel for 2/3 nights

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 4 May - 2:15

Pretty big Puerto Rican community in the States tho surely??

Always a big Filipino turn out for Manny fights but I bet none of them have just stepped off the plane.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 4 May - 2:16

Nothing like a spot of racial stereotyping, eh Steffan.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 4 May - 2:22

Union Cane wrote:Nothing like a spot of racial stereotyping, eh Steffan.
If its any consolation I couldnt afford another trip to Vegas either nowadays. Maybe the fight should have been in MSG anyway. Lots of Puerto Ricans in NYC and surely Mayweather would fancy a change from the MGM

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 4 May - 2:25

Steffan wrote:
If its any consolation I couldnt afford another trip to Vegas either nowadays. Maybe the fight should have been in MSG anyway. Lots of Puerto Ricans in NYC and surely Mayweather would fancy a change from the MGM

Can you not remember the whole debacle of Mayweather booking this date and venue in advance to try and lure Pac

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 4 May - 2:27

He follers the dollers mate.

Enjoy your evening, I'm having Chinese for my tea.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 4 May - 2:28

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:Can you not remember the whole debacle of Mayweather booking this date and venue in advance to try and lure Pac
I do now infact. Well Mayweather must know by now that Poochio and Arum are ducking him so he neednt had bothered. I dont think many people give Cotto much chance to be honest. Would have rather seen Mayweather fight Bradley who I give a good chance against the Pac

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 4 May - 2:42

Steffan wrote:

Never, Mayweather loves to stay in Vegas and also didn't want Pac booking it for a fight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 4 May - 2:58

Also, Mayweather is allowed to use that drug for his hands in Vegas, is he not?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 4 May - 3:18

Fists of Fury wrote:Also, Mayweather is allowed to use that drug for his hands in Vegas, is he not?

The one he hasn't used for years?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 4 May - 3:25

Sign of the times. There happens to be a global recession and fight tickets are pricey. The PPV sales will be huge though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 4 May - 3:26

Fists of Fury wrote:Also, Mayweather is allowed to use that drug for his hands in Vegas, is he not?

Yes he is and are not illegal. What's your point?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 4 May - 3:44

azania wrote:Sign of the times. There happens to be a global recession and fight tickets are pricey. The PPV sales will be huge though.

Well NFL, and basketball and baseball are all managing high ticket sales at bigger stadiums....if you want to go to it price of the ticket is not an issue, i should think travel etc would be the stumbling block

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 4 May - 3:47

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:
azania wrote:Sign of the times. There happens to be a global recession and fight tickets are pricey. The PPV sales will be huge though.

Well NFL, and basketball and baseball are all managing high ticket sales at bigger stadiums....if you want to go to it price of the ticket is not an issue, i should think travel etc would be the stumbling block

Boxing is somewhat different. When the NY Giants play, the stadium is packed full of New Yorkers watching their team. Team sports are more tribal also. If this fight were in San Juan, it would be a sell out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 4 May - 3:57

azania wrote:

Boxing is somewhat different. When the NY Giants play, the stadium is packed full of New Yorkers watching their team. Team sports are more tribal also. If this fight were in San Juan, it would be a sell out.

Fine but when Brock lesnar can sell out the MGM and Floyd cant that is worrying no?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 4 May - 4:14

I think it is a little worrying, maybe people have tired of him. Decent undercard fight aswell.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 4 May - 4:22

azania wrote:

Fine but when Brock lesnar can sell out the MGM and Floyd cant that is worrying no?

UFC gives away most of its tickets for $5 a pop. Boxing sells at $150 for the back end seats.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 4 May - 4:25

I'll add that it is worrying but not surprising. Boxing is being marginalised constantly. Good for very few fighters, but for the majority of fighters, its not so good.

Promoters still think its the 1970s where arenas are stacked and people watching it onlive tv. Floyd can walk down Oxford St and no one will know him.

Most UK boxers can do the same also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 4 May - 4:40

Come on everyone let's go. I've found flights for £450.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 4 May - 5:26

Hello everyone!

ECONOMIC CRISIS.

Its not surprising that tickets are still available. Most will watch at home and the PPV numbers will be huge for this fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 4 May - 16:36

TopHat24/7 wrote:Maybe fans are 'doing a Rowley' en masse.....

I tend to be ahead of the curve on these things.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 4 May - 16:59

No need Alma, such is my influence on here just a few well chosen words are enough to set a tsunami of anti Manny and Floyd sentiments in motion. Also people round here seem a little more interested in football this weekend.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 4 May - 17:06

Who would buy a ticket other than Floyd's buddies and Cotto's doctor?

Boring fight, keep your money, spend it on spandex. tomato
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 4 May - 23:33

The yanks must look at fights like Brook vs Hatton, Groves and Degale and just be in absolute amazment at the full arenas. Geography is what makes British sport great, we're practically on top of eachother compared to the States. They're spread to thin.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 5 May - 7:05

Well he is about to break a record for the highest ever base-purse

He is guaranteed $32mil before PPV sales, beating $30 mil Tyson got for Holyfield 2 and beating mayweathers precious record of $24mil he got vs ortiz.

Given PPV numbers will easily make 1million buys, I'm sure mayweather won't be too upset even if tickets weren't sold out straight away as he'll be getting a record purse for himself

Mayweather just makes it too pricey for many. Tickets cost a bomb for limited viewing and PPV costs the Americans $64.99 to watch on HBO

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 5 May - 7:17

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Well he is about to break a record for the highest ever base-purse

He is guaranteed $32mil before PPV sales, beating $30 mil Tyson got for Holyfield 2 and beating mayweathers precious record of $24mil he got vs ortiz.

Given PPV numbers will easily make 1million buys, I'm sure mayweather won't be too upset even if tickets weren't sold out straight away as he'll be getting a record purse for himself

Mayweather just makes it too pricey for many. Tickets cost a bomb for limited viewing and PPV costs the Americans $64.99 to watch on HBO

That's why he doesn't need Paq and vice versa. They can both make serious or the same money, get bigger purse splits and bigger PPV splits without fighting each other. Shame the fans lose out though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 5 May - 7:22

65 Dollars is a joke.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 5 May - 7:56

Also, if anyone's looking at the weigh in, have you seen the turnout for it. I can't believe they haven't sold out a 20,000 seater when over 4000 have turned out for the weigh in

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 5 May - 7:58

I was surprised when I heard that WHU. More non-fighting fighters on stage than fighters who are fighting tomorrow ATM Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 5 May - 8:05

Mosley looked in fantastic shape but came in half a pound over.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 5 May - 8:13

hampo171 wrote:Mosley looked in fantastic shape but came in half a pound over.

This isn't a good sign imo. He has never struggled to make weight and this fight is at 154. He needs to lose 1/2 lbs which should be easy as he didn't look drained but at 40 it's not something you want when your past your prime. He has put on muscle which should make him stronger but it might make him slower than he already is

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 5 May - 8:17

There wasn't an ounce of fat on Floyd. Really excited for this fight now, the face off was tense as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 5 May - 18:30

MGM tickets usually sell on the day of the fight, especially the back row seats. I went to the Ortiz vs Mayweather fight (Mexican Independence day) and we managed to get tockets on the day of the fight.

When we got to the stadium it looked like a sell out mind you. I've heard Mayweather doesnt usually sell out capacity stadiums so this isn't too much of a surprise. May just isn't a great time to go Vegas.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 6 May - 2:58

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Mosley looked in fantastic shape but came in half a pound over.

This isn't a good sign imo. He has never struggled to make weight and this fight is at 154. He needs to lose 1/2 lbs which should be easy as he didn't look drained but at 40 it's not something you want when your past your prime. He has put on muscle which should make him stronger but it might make him slower than he already is

it was a weird one. it depends on the scales he was using beforehand. apparently they said he was bang on 154. the calibration may have been off on either scale.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down