The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays????

3 posters

Go down

Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays???? Empty Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 May 2012, 10:04 am

Obviously in the old days you had one title.. much greater exposure and so by becoming Champion you were exulted by millions ....

I mean Marcel Cerdan is generally regarded as great ..as is Corbett and the like........Sure they had to beat some top fighters to get there but once they got there being undisputed or one of two champions say in the 70's they had little more to do afterwards.. to become great!!!

These days there are many more World championships at stake and only a great deal of longevity can get you to attain such status.....and not even that is assured (ottke).

I mean some on here refuse to acknowledge a decade long-top of the business Mayweather as great...Some refute Calzaghe and Jones jr's claims!!!!...There are also a lot less people ready to exult and recognise achievement!!

and also a lot of the boxing writers who bestow the title of greatness are still the same rose-tinted guys like Colin Hart and Farhood types....

However you can cherry-pick more challenger wise than ever before and with the right promoter.. avoid genuine talent!!!

However you must be good to reach world status anyway...

Easier or harder......You'd probably think it's easier but is it???

Not so sure...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays???? Empty Re: Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays????

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 07 May 2012, 10:10 am

Its easier. Just look at what Canelo did the other night. Just put a over the hill 40 year old past it 1 time great on you're record and you are on you're way. Khan did it with Barrera.

The longer you are unbeaten these days the better it is for you're hype even if you fought bums and washed up fighters.

I live in the past when it comes to enjoying this sport, boxing is dead to me now.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays???? Empty Re: Is it easier or harder to become GREAT nowadays????

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 07 May 2012, 11:16 am

I reckon it's harder. These days some fighters don't get the credit they deserve. Some completely right off Manny and Floyds chances against previous greats from other eras but I give them a chance.

Last edited by Sugar Floyd Louis on Mon 07 May 2012, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 07 May 2012, 11:19 am

Hearns wipes the floor with both of them IMHO.

IMHO - In my humble opinion. I just invented that spread the word.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 07 May 2012, 11:22 am

Laugh ONETWO... you certainly haven't!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=imho

Very Happy

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 07 May 2012, 11:38 am

Fiddlesticks!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down