The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson)

+10
Irish Londoner
Brendan
propdavid_london
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
HERSH
The Great Aukster
doctor_grey
mpc28
robbo277
14 posters

Go down

Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson) Empty Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson)

Post by robbo277 Sun 13 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Anyone watching this match? Apparently Hobson started a fight before the match started or something? Just switched it on, can anyone shed some light on this?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson) Empty Re: Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson)

Post by mpc28 Sun 13 May 2012, 1:13 pm

I didnt see a fight but the ref called both captains over just before they kicked off so something happened but they didnt show what.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson) Empty Re: Bristol Vs Cornish Pirates (Jason Hobson)

Post by robbo277 Sun 13 May 2012, 1:15 pm

Hobson's playing at the moment, so I can only assume it was nothing too serious.

Cornish Pirates have just scored, mountain to climb now for Bristol. Things are looking good if you are a Newcastle fan.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 13 May 2012, 1:19 pm

I like this ref as well. He's got most of his decisions absolutely spot on and he's really clear with his instructions and explanations.

Edit: I say that, then he makes a couple of dodgy calls. censored

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 13 May 2012, 1:55 pm

Forgot it was on. Thanks for posting.
Cornwall looks good to win the two game series now.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 13 May 2012, 2:00 pm

How come the penalty that came off the inside of the post wasn't awarded - the ball looked to bounce in the in-goal area?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 13 May 2012, 2:17 pm

Not sure.
I had just typed that Pirates seem much more in control after that long range try. Then Bristol.........

Hoping this goes to the wire.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 13 May 2012, 2:19 pm

Jeez,
close the other way. This is fun Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 13 May 2012, 2:28 pm

Glad it went to the wire. I only saw the second half, but seemed like a good match by both teams. Love the excitment of these playoff matches.
Congratulations to Cornwall.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 13 May 2012, 9:17 pm

Do you think they'll sort out this whole promotion farce before the final?

I think the final is over two legs on Wednesday nights, maybe this Wednesday and next Wednesday? I think two legs does lose a bit of it's appeal as a spectacle, and would much prefer to see it as a one off. I guess the trouble is would fans really want to travel for it? And would it attract the neutral?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 14 May 2012, 12:57 am

I doubt the promotion business will be sorted by a week from Wednesday. But there must be a hard and fast deadline sometme soon so the Championship champion and also Newcastle Falcons can plan for next season. Otherwise we will see the possible double disaster of neither Newcastke or London Welsh having a proper roster for next season.

I agree the two legged process robs the final match of any sense of drama and spectacle. I don't know if one match in a neutral venue will work or not, and I understand the points on both sides. But I would like to see it tried, at least once.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 14 May 2012, 10:09 am

I almost feel sorry for Bris! Smile
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 14 May 2012, 10:11 am

Exeter were the biggest winners from this victory for Pirates. Finally they will be on an almost level playing field with the othe rpremiership teams.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 14 May 2012, 10:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:Exeter were the biggest winners from this victory for Pirates. Finally they will be on an almost level playing field with the othe rpremiership teams.
LT, how so? Are you referring to the 'P' share issue? I think we were entitled to buy Bris's shares anyway cos they didn't go back up immediately, and Bris would have had to negotiate for Leeds' shares, no? I believe that it will go to artbitration shortly so that a price can be set/agreed upon OK

PS Congrats to the Pirates and Welsh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 14 May 2012, 10:27 am

Sidestepping the 'Jason Hobson issues' here.

Well done to Pirates and Exiles.
I know that Pirates havent applied for the promotion audit, so they definately cant be promoted.
But Welsh have applied aparently! I've heard rumours that they are talking ground share (their only realistic option).
I've heard mention of Brentford FC, Twickenham Stoop, and Oxford FC.

Was at the Quins game on Saturday and was talking to a mate about the situation and a Saints fan who was also a Bee's STH was under the impression that a deal with Bretford had been scrapped (Bretford not interested).

I've also seen on planetrugby that the Stoop have said no.

So, at the moment the move to Oxford FC is the only option. Would that work? Will Lon.Welsh fans travel all the way to Oxford from Richmond?

Has anyone heard of other possibilities?
I agree with Doc Grey - surely these plans need to be sorted ASAP to help with squad planning/recruiting ect.

Last edited by propdavid_london on Mon 14 May 2012, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 14 May 2012, 10:43 am

It does seem hard on Bristol that they topped the league by 10pts but still don't go up because half the league gets to take part in the play-offs.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 14 May 2012, 10:53 am

Why the need for such a strange playoff system. Whats wrong with the Premiership system of top 4 teams in semi-finals and a final!
Top 2 teams get home advantage in semis.
This current system gives no team in the Championship the incentive to finish top!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 14 May 2012, 11:08 am

Brendan wrote:It does seem hard on Bristol that they topped the league by 10pts but still don't go up because half the league gets to take part in the play-offs.
Brendan, it is hard on Bristol and I feel for them, but every teams knows the rules at the start of the season. At least next year, only the top 4 will compete in the playoffs

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 14 May 2012, 11:10 am

The top 4 makes sense. This current system is silly.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 14 May 2012, 11:22 am

The whole system needs redoing - maybe it needs seperate divisions for the teams with Premiership ambitions and those who are happy to go no further than the Championship. Also the play-off should be in a neutral venue and a one off game.
Alternatively expand the Premiership to allow in Bristol, Leeds, and anyone else who would commit to spend the money and then ring fence it for five years to give everyone a chance to develop a decent ground.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 14 May 2012, 11:27 am

+1
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 14 May 2012, 11:28 am

What is the Hobson story then? Didn't get a chance to see the game. Who played well for Bristol? Will Jarvis still join them even though they aren't going to be prem?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 14 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Wasn't the playoff the top so that there was a 'top 20' professional club group? Part of the proposed idea of two tiers of 10 pro clubs.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 14 May 2012, 12:30 pm

Alternatively expand the Premiership to allow in Bristol, Leeds, and anyone else who would commit to spend the money and then ring fence it for five years to give everyone a chance to develop a decent ground

That wouldn't work as the season is already over crowded with to many club games and adding more would only mean more league games played during internationals. If Leeds, Bristol etc want to play with the big boys then they have to earn it, end of story. I don't like ring fencing as it encourages a lack of competition and dead rubber games which mean little. The AP is fiercely competitive and that is what draws the attendance and the Sky money.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Mon 14 May 2012, 12:32 pm

When the Championship was introduced, the final was due to be a one-off at a neutral venue, probably Twickenham. However, there's no prize money, so the finalists would have been saddled by significant travel and accommodation bills, (as would the fans), without even a share of the gate money. A neutral venue would struggle to attract much more than 10,000, anyway.

The finalists that year, Bris and Exe, proposed a two legged final to the RFU, so each would profit from a sell-out at their stadium (substantial extra income by Championship standards). RFU (and Sky) agreed, but, without two free weekends, the games were scheduled for midweek. That's the way it's stayed, despite the opportunity to pre-plan the finals for weekends.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down