The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Murray Overcome Murray

+7
Danny_1982
bogbrush
Josiah Maiestas
reckoner
lags72
Calder106
CaledonianCraig
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Murray Overcome Murray - Page 2 Empty Will Murray Overcome Murray

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 8:15 am

First topic message reminder :

Having watched the Murray/Nalbandian match kinda reminded me of his Berrer/Nadal/Djokovic/Troicki encounters on the clay. He goes from being in the match from a control perspective and then the opponent ups the anti and then it really does become a dogfight in the last set. I know he lost to Djokovic and Nadal on those occasions, but he won against Berrer and Troicki when the only option was to attack. Yesterday he got 51% of first serves in compared to Nalbandian who made 64%. The first set Murray was in cruise control. He won 6-1. Nalbandian looked like her had lost heart. Even complained about the sunlight. Murray played a passive 2nd, Nalbandian found his form and into the 3rd set looked as if he was going to put Murray to the sword. Murray increased his aggression and was rewarded for it when he ran out in 3 sets.

Whilst it was good to see Murray attack, I can't help but now think about his mental approach. Is it a case of poor tactics or is it Murray being slightly lazy? Lendl in his day was a bit of hard ass on himself and extremely disciplined, and yes Murray can be very disciplined, but based on yesterday I kinda get the feeling that when he is half way there in a match he takes his foot off the gas and loses focus far too easily. Almost like he feels the hard work has already been done. I know we talk about the big four, but I feel with the other 3 once they get to 1 set up in a BO3 or 2 up in a BO5 they either maintain the same level or even stick their foot on the pedal and go to 5th gear. With Murray I feel he get's 3rd gear, goes back to 2nd gear and then goes straight into 5th which can either be a smooth journey in the fast lane or a mistimed carwreck. For so many years it has been fore told that Murray will achieve great things, but after yesterday I can't help but now think that there is laziness in his make-up that prevents him making a smooth finish to the match. Nalbandian looked gone after the first set. For Murray should've been thinking about tying that match up in 2 and gradually increasing the aggression and spreading it out over the set.

I don't know. I don't want to seem extremely harsh, but I can't help but think that yesterday could've and should've been much more easier than it really was. Yes he won, but how much of that match was down to Murray just digging himself a hole and allowing Nalbandian to come flooding back into the match. I don't want Murray fans to jump on this being another one of those critical threads, I just want to see and hear if they think that Murray does have a weakness that stretches beyond a tennis coach to be able to correct.

Back to top Go down

Will Murray Overcome Murray - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Murray Overcome Murray

Post by barrystar Thu 17 May 2012, 3:06 pm

lags72 wrote:I actually think LAST year was Fed's best chance since '09

You have narrowed down the field somewhat no? In 2010 he only made the QF after that extraordinary match with Soderling. The hitting in the first two sets was absolutely brutal - and Fed played a very good first set.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 3:08 pm

Indeed lags. For me it was the greatest meltdown I have seen on here. There I was thinking we had witnessed one of the great matches in FO history only for it to exposed as tainted.

I think also towards the back end of the tournament I felt the courts were watered less which hampered the Swiss. I think in that final Nadal went back to his slow pace and grinded him down.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 17 May 2012, 5:57 pm

Re OP - not today, and Jury still out
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2