The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job?

+6
2ndtimeround
bathmad
formerly known as Sam
ScarletSpiderman
doctornickolas
HongKongCherry
10 posters

Go down

Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job? Empty Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job?

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 11:54 am

News reported yesterday was that Nigel Davies could be on his way to Glaws http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9270764/Phil-Vickery-in-call-for-Cornish-Pirates-to-get-a-funding-break-for-new-stadium.html

I will take any "news" with a slight pinch of salt as the announcements from the club have made it very clear that interviews are still taking place. So Davies may have been interviewed, but certainly there will not have been a decision as per the Telegrapph post. However, I would be very happy with Davies, the brand of rugby he has brought to Scarlets would suit the Glaws players very well. I'm sure Ben Morgan would also be very happy with that move!

Glaws are also being heavily linked to John Kirwan. That may because he is linked to every job and will be visiting Kingsholm in a few weeks with the BaBas. I'm not too sure about Kirwan. There is no doubt the guy is a good coach and is a strong disciplinarian, but I question his credentials for a club DoR as is he better suited to international rugby?

Another coach being linked is Pat Lam, but with the Blues poor form is he going to be available not by his own choice?!

I know John Brain and Carl Hogg are both being interviewed for the role and rightly so seeing as they are part of the set up, however, I would firmly believe appointing either would be a backwards step. We need new blood to take the team forward.

I would still be very in favour in the club speaking to Mark Mapletoft, if alllowed. He has done sterling work at Quins and being an ex-Glaws player gives him extra credibility.

Whoever it will be, the club have made it clear they want to have appointed someone by the first week of June at the latest in time for pre-season, so not long to go now...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job? Empty Re: Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job?

Post by doctornickolas Thu 17 May 2012, 11:58 am

Not sure about Nigel going to Glaws.

he almost has a job for life down there. He is a local guy, played for Llanelli for years, is just about to see the fruits of his labour with all the youngsters he has and, got his fingers burned the last time he left (to coach Wales).

Don't think he will be the next DoR for Glaws but I have been wrong before....1978 I think it was.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job? Empty Re: Who is in line for the Glaws DoR job?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 May 2012, 12:01 pm

I have not heard anything on the grape vine about Nigel leaving until it appeared in the Daily Mail the other day. I would be most shocked, and disappointed in Nigel, if he did go to Glaws. That said he would be the sort of bloke that may well fit in at Glaws. I guess we will find out in a few weeks time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 1:14 pm

I would be very surprised as well if Davies did come, but maybe he just really likes Ben Morgan Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 May 2012, 1:37 pm

How come Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't been linked yet? I thought he was linked to any jobs going anywhere.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 1:47 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:How come Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't been linked yet? I thought he was linked to any jobs going anywhere.

He has, I forgot to include him!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 May 2012, 1:47 pm

How come Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't been linked yet? I thought he was linked to any jobs going anywhere

Except in England where he is viewed as having wasted so much Irish talent during their golden years that appointing him would be a laughably bad option.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 3:06 pm

I must admit EOS doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 17 May 2012, 3:07 pm

Jeremy Guscott put Steve Meehan's name in the frame, and to be honest with the backs that Gloucester have next year, that's far from a bad shout! I'd be miffed though...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 17 May 2012, 3:34 pm

bathmad wrote:Jeremy Guscott put Steve Meehan's name in the frame, and to be honest with the backs that Gloucester have next year, that's far from a bad shout! I'd be miffed though...

God, please no!!! I'm not deliberately saying this as Glaws/Bath vitriol but I've never been that impressed by Meehan and found him to be a bit too much style over substance. I do feel Bath have played their best rugby in recent years under him, but I found the off-loading game just went far, far too far! I used to describe it as hot potato rugby, as you just wouldn't see anyone hold the ball! I'd far rather have Geech than Meehan (famous last words!).
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 3:43 pm

I would be absolutely gutted if Nigel left the Scarlets. We are 3 years into his 5 year plan with us, he's seeing all of the youngsters coming through and developing well. All the talk coming out of the Scarlets is that it's a really settled group, with excellent team spirit and a brilliant environment to work in. I can't see why he would want to leave, so I really hope this is just a poor rumour.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 17 May 2012, 3:46 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I would be absolutely gutted if Nigel left the Scarlets. We are 3 years into his 5 year plan with us, he's seeing all of the youngsters coming through and developing well. All the talk coming out of the Scarlets is that it's a really settled group, with excellent team spirit and a brilliant environment to work in. I can't see why he would want to leave, so I really hope this is just a poor rumour.

I guess you can't really blame him for seeing what other options are around, as he has been getting more and more 'miffed' with the refs/linesmen in the Rabo over the last few games. Also we have lost a fair few of our players, and look like we may lose a few more yet.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 3:49 pm

True SS, but I still think he's the right man for the job. He is a Scarlet through and through and knows what we are about, our values and how we want to play. He's crucial to us I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Thu 17 May 2012, 7:44 pm

Can't help feeling this is no more than a leaked press release from Gloucester in an attempt to unsettle ND's position at the Scarlets in the hope of making something happen, ND only sems to talk about longer term plans which would not really indicate an intention to move.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 7:52 pm

There's more on the fail website now too. Nige is in a shortlist of 3, and scarlets have asked for 100k plus if they want him for the job.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 18 May 2012, 6:41 am

rugbydreamer wrote:There's more on the fail website now too. Nige is in a shortlist of 3, and scarlets have asked for 100k plus if they want him for the job.

I would take that with a pinch of salt. The club announced they had a shortlist of 12 and these interviews are still taking place. As Davies is contracted any release fee would have had to been negotiated prior to an interview, so the fee sounds about right. This may all be speculation as there is no confirmation who is on that short list other than Brain and Hogg.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 18 May 2012, 8:10 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
How come Eddie O'Sullivan hasn't been linked yet? I thought he was linked to any jobs going anywhere

Except in England where he is viewed as having wasted so much Irish talent during their golden years that appointing him would be a laughably bad option.

Got anyone particular in mind Sam? Wink

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 18 May 2012, 8:54 am

Dreamer - I don't think Nigel will go, nor do I want him to. I was just putting down some reasons why he may be tempted to leave. I also think he would leave if he thought that we were in dire need of money and that his exit could free up/earn some cash for the side (like Ieuan Evans did).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 18 May 2012, 9:16 am

Got anyone particular in mind Sam?

Most of the Irish backline that for years stood still whilst ROG kicked or directed the ball back to the forwards?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 18 May 2012, 8:08 pm

a lot of talk tonight in llanelli that nigel has gone to glaws.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 21 May 2012, 12:32 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18140402

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 21 May 2012, 12:37 pm

I wouldn't read too much on the Beeb saying that Emyr is saying he is likely to go. It seems that they let the short get passed them and are now trying to make up for it with a few articles on it.

Untill Glaws and the Scarlets both confirm it I will be sceptical.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 21 May 2012, 1:36 pm

EnglishReign wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18140402

ER, what do you think of ND being the DoR? Personally I'd be very happy as his style should suit the squad. If he does get the job you'd have to question whether Hogg stays on. If he is in the final 4 for the role it would be difficult for him to stay on reporting to a role he wanted, but maybe it's time for a change of forwards coach too.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 21 May 2012, 6:23 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18140402

ER, what do you think of ND being the DoR? Personally I'd be very happy as his style should suit the squad. If he does get the job you'd have to question whether Hogg stays on. If he is in the final 4 for the role it would be difficult for him to stay on reporting to a role he wanted, but maybe it's time for a change of forwards coach too.

I'm not sure, HKC. Like many others here, I didn't see it coming but the more I think about it, the more I hope to see it announced.

Scarlets have a lot in common with Glos at the moment - we both play a great brand of rugby, have a wealth of young talent, cause the odd upset but don't really win anything. I think ND sees our intent with the signing of Morgan and Twelvetrees; heaps of potential plus funds. He could really do a fantastic job here and help the squad develop.

I think a change of forwards coach would be no bad thing.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 21 May 2012, 10:36 pm

Yesterday's The Rugby Paper (see "On the Blind Side" column - Peter Jackson, p25) suggests that ND will make a decision this week. Apparently, the job description was changed by the GLos board -- they wanted the DOR to double up as backs coach, and as a result several shortlisted candidates were "effectively eliminated". It sounds like a done deal, if ND accepts.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down